Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London protests for second Brexit Vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Yes. I'm clearly saying that this should never have been allowed to happen.

If we had t signed up to Neice and Lisbon would we have been better off?

700,000 people are not going to overturn the decision of the 17.4 million people who voted out. I'd be fairly certain if the original decision had been in favour of remain that there would be no chance of another referendum.

Yes but in fairness if it is held again the result will be conclusive
    If the people have changed their minds then the vote will reflect that
    If not then it won’t
    Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Well, I hope there will be a second referendum.
    It really was a choice between leaving things as they are, or the Brits fcuking themselves up the arse with a cactus, a broken bottle and a pint of lemon juice and people voted for the latter.
    The first bite was a lot of morons voting leave whilst "rule Britannia" was playing in their heads.

So you send the same morons back in the hope that they will vote the way you want them to vote? This time without "rule britannia" playing in their heads.

They should come to Ireland for advice.

Jack Moore wrote: »
    If we had t signed up to Neice and Lisbon would we have been better off?

I have no idea. I didnt understand either treaty then. I dont understand them now.

What were they and how have they affected us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe the difference in this case is that the people were lied to?

Normally in a referendum, you are sold different sides of a debate, but one side was lying through their teeth in Brexit and swayed the vote based on the lies.

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Yes but in fairness if it is held again the result will be conclusive
    If the people have changed their minds then the vote will reflect that
    If not then it won’t
    Simples

The government should have made sure that the vote they wanted was conclusive the first time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The government should have made sure that the vote they wanted was conclusive the first time around.

You seem to have conveniently missed this again, so I figured I'd repost it for you

I never said I'd oppose those efforts. Where did I say that?

My initial point was, if people who were and still are anti abortion or anti gay marriage asked for a referendum to have the yes vote(s) overturned would they get it?

The answer is no.

I'm asking why should Brexit be treated differently.

You're talking around the point. If it was defeated, should it stay that way forever?

You're the one treating brexit differently and saying it should be final and that's it.

Why would you not oppose same sex marriage in the future if it was defeated first time if it's so important for votes to be final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Would anti abortion protesters or people who disagreed with gay marriage get a re-vote. No nor should they.

In 1983 67% voted for the 8th amendment and this year a similar % voted to get rid of it so yes re-votes can and do happen.

If there were significant numbers, then yes there would be another referendum.

There wont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

NIMAN wrote:

Normally in a referendum, you are sold different sides of a debate, but one side was lying through their teeth in Brexit and swayed the vote based on the lies.
    They were lied to by both sides though.
    They are still being lied to. The scaremongering by the pro-Europe side is every bit as bad as the pro-Brexit group.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    In 1983 67% voted for the 8th amendment and this year a similar % voted to get rid of it so yes re-votes can and do happen.

Maybe Britain will decide to rejoin the EU in 35 years time. Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Brexit means Brexit.

People saying it should be voted on again incase the people changed their minds, I mean, will there be another vote in 2020 incase minds change again? Best of 3? If not, why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

eagle eye wrote: »
    NIMAN wrote:

They are still being lied to. The scaremongering by the pro-Europe side is every bit as bad as the pro-Brexit group.
    Do you have any examples of the lies from the pro europe side.

Of course it is.

Neither side knows whats going to happen for sure but they all make foolish and baseless predictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The infuriating thing about this is: Where were all these voters when they were deciding? I was in the UK the days around the Brexit vote (At Glastonbury). Ask anyone ther if they were going to vote (They did have the ability there) and all you got was "Naaaaah, it'll never happen" or "Naaaaah, couldn't be ar$ed". Then, on the Sunday morning the shock on people's faces was stunning: "What happened? How did they do this?" They didn't do it. Ye did it!

This is how monsters like Trump get voted in. If there is a vote to decide if you want something to happen or note happen then f*cking vote!!!. If you don't then you have no right to complain about the outcome and your non-vote is, effectively a vote against what you wanted.

Of course there were disgustingly misleading ads (The famous bus and Farage's immediate backing away from that the day of the results) and, personally, I believe that anyone who can be swayed by Facebook links shouldn't have a vote :) Personally their decision to leave was a mistake that will have ramifications for 20 years. I believe all this faffing about with UK call charges in Europe and f*cking passport colour (Which they didn't need Brexit to change) is just rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. I think the UK, Ireland and the rest of the EU are in for a world of hurt.

But the point is:

Don't vote? Don't b1tch

• Advertisement

a great way to sort it would be to have referendum and whether or not they should have another Brexit referendum.

• I'll never vote again if this happens.

Whether you agree with a vote or not is irrelevant once the result is known. If a referendum is called the vote should stand. Thats it.

Would anti abortion protesters or people who disagreed with gay marriage get a re-vote. No nor should they.

The abortion and SSM refurredums weren’t based on lies and mistruths to suit the governments wants and desires. The British were told brexit was the best thing for them and it was an absolute lie. “We’ll put the money we pay to the EU every week right to NHS!”

Post brexit: we never said that????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

To use your gay marriage re-run analogy, it would be like if we voted through gay marriage and then discovered that upon getting married gays then develop devastating superpowers.
    In this case it would be fine to re-run the referendum, since we didn't realise what a terrible choice voting Yes was.

The trouble with voting Leave is that there was no white paper on what it actually meant. Stay in customs union but leave single market? Or both? Or neither? Or just close up the borders? Ask one Leaver what they thought they were voting for and it'll be vastly different to the next.

Having seen what an almighty balls-up the Tories are making of it, is it not the rational thing to do to ask "This is what Brexit looks like. Are you sure?"

Sidenote: can't believe people are still trotting out the Lisbon Treaty argument. You do know that it was amended for us before we passed it? It wasn't the exact same Treaty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

this is massive, and I would not consider this rally is too late.

I would question how many other rallies are needed to get what they are asking for, as I think one may not be enough.

The abortion and SSM refurredums weren’t based on lies and mistruths to suit the governments wants and desires. The British were told brexit was the best thing for them and it was an absolute lie. “We’ll put the money we pay to the EU every week right to NHS!”

Post brexit: we never said that????

I didnt say it either

• Advertisement

Umaro wrote: »
    To use your gay marriage re-run analogy, it would be like if we voted through gay marriage and then discovered that upon getting married gays then develop devastating superpowers.
    In this case it would be fine to re-run the referendum, since we didn't realise what a terrible choice voting Yes was.

The trouble with voting Leave is that there was no white paper on what it actually meant. Stay in customs union but leave single market? Or both? Or neither? Or just close up the borders? Ask one Leaver what they thought they were voting for and it'll be vastly different to the next.

Having seen what an almighty balls-up the Tories are making of it, is it not the rational thing to do to ask "This is what Brexit looks like. Are you sure?"

Sidenote: can't believe people are still trotting out the Lisbon Treaty argument. You do know that it was amended for us before we passed it? It wasn't the exact same Treaty.

Isnt it more like, this is what your brexit negotiators look like?

I dare say that more competent negotiators would have made a significantly better and more effective attempt at their negotiations that what they have done.

They were never going to get everything they wanted but they could have made a better attempt.

Another thing it highlights is the level of ignorance among the British political elite. Some of the comments made surrounding the Irish border issue have been staggering.

The real question for me has always been why the referendum was granted in the first place and was it a case of their own political complacency coming back to bite them?

They never had a clear majority and they let the other side wipe their eye.

Umaro wrote: »

It was the same treaty making the same amendments to the eu constitution
    It simply had some gaurentees

https://www.iiea.com/publication/lisbon-the-irish-guarantees-explained/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

retalivity wrote: »
    If they were going to re-vote, they should have had it a year ago. Too far gone now, what with them supposed to leave in 5 months.

huh???

It's the perfect time for a 2nd refendum. The UK haven't left yet, and the voters will have enough information to make an actually informed choice having seen the state of the negotiations on the withdrawal agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mvl wrote:
    I would question how many other rallies are needed to get what they are asking for, as I think one may not be enough.
    How many people are at the rally? Is there there 30 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

They were lied to by both sides though.They are still being lied to. The scaremongering by the pro-Europe side is every bit as bad as the pro-Brexit group.
    Of course it is.Neither side knows whats going to happen for sure but they all make foolish and baseless predictions
    Again. Any examples of lies from the pro europe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I'll never vote again if this happens.

Whether you agree with a vote or not is irrelevant once the result is known. If a referendum is called the vote should stand. Thats it.

Life is actually more simple than that..
    If the electorate was lied to and misled by a strong heartless bordering on racist anti Eorope pied Piper brigade,. and being that most people didn't really have a clue how serious this was and how detrimental it would be to their Country!? Then is it not right (because they made a SERIOUS mistake)that they should be allowed vote again?

Maybe Britain will decide to rejoin the EU in 35 years time. Who knows?

Do you think they will? Remember as well as their EU membership, all of their opt-outs they made such a fuss of getting will be extinguished when they leave.

700,000 people are not going to overturn the decision of the 17.4 million people who voted out. I'd be fairly certain if the original decision had been in favour of remain that there would be no chance of another referendum.

nobody says the 700k marchers should overturn a decision made by 17million people. They are calling for a 2nd vote, where presumably north of 18 million people will vote to remain in the EU.

The brexiters don't want a vote because they know the 'will of the people' has changed and they'd lose a 2nd vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Look I called this from the very start I knew Brexit would never be allowed happen.

So your logic is that because everyone was lying, the vote must be respected??

Surely lying by everyone means that voters weren't making an informed choice

If you sign a contract based on lies, that usually invalidates the contract. (eg if I sell you a car that I don't actually own)

• Advertisement

You're talking around the point. If it was defeated, should it stay that way forever?

You're the one treating brexit differently and saying it should be final and that's it.

Why would you not oppose same sex marriage in the future if it was defeated first time if it's so important for votes to be final?

I didnt say it should stay that way forever.

What I said was, now that gay marriage has been legalised its highly unlikely it will ever become illegal again. The referendum result will likely never be overturned

I'm saying the same thing about abortion. Now that it has been legalised its highly unlikely it will ever be illegal again. The referendum result will likely never be overturned.

We certainly wont be voting on either in the next year or two.

I dont know if this has ever happened in any other country. I dont expect it to happen here. Certainly not in my lifetime.

I'm suggesting that the Brexit result should stand. (It was only voted just over two years ago) and not just overturned after two because some people dont like the result.

It the people of the U.K ever decide to vote to re-enter the option is available for them to do so at some point in the future but to do so soon after the original result would be foolish to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

Akrasia wrote: »
    The brexiters don't want a vote because they know the 'will of the people' has changed and they'd lose a 2nd vote.

Exactly. If a majority were still in favour of Brexit, the Brexiteers would complaining that a referendum would be a waste of money as the result wouldn't change (based on polling or whatever).

But they have tacitly accepted that a majority are against Brexit now, so their argument is that that's just too bad, because the referendum was a one-off can't-be-repeated-no-matter-what affair, and the losers/remoaners just have to suck it up.

They don't like admitting that what they are fighting for is completely undemocratic - they know a majority would vote against Brexit now - so instead they fall back on the kind of childish nonsense we see in the tabloids and in this thread.

Akrasia wrote: »
    So your logic is that because everyone was lying, the vote must be respected??

Surely lying by everyone means that voters weren't making an informed choice

If you sign a contract based on lies, that usually invalidates the contract. (eg if I sell you a car that I don't actually own)

Micheal D. Higgins lied to us at the last presidential election. He got 7 years in the aras.

His reward is likely to be that he'll get another 7 years. Its' naive to expect to be told the truth at an election time.

Do you think they will? Remember as well as their EU membership, all of their opt-outs they made such a fuss of getting will be extinguished when they leave.

I have no idea. How would I know what the british electorate will decide in the future?

Micheal D. Higgins lied to us at the last presidential election. He got 7 years in the aras.

His reward is likely to be that he'll get another 7 years. Its' naive to expect to be told the truth at an election time.

There's a difference between a mickey mouse election for an irrelevant ceremonial position and something (Brexit) that can & will affect millions of people's lives going forward.

We have a referendum commission who are legally commissioned to give an impartial explanation of the facts

So people are not allowed to changed their minds? What's democratic about that?

Surely if it's the will of the people it wouldn't matter if there was 10 votes, because leave would win every time?

Presumably everyone is in favour of getting rid of divorce here seeing as that took a couple of goes? Get home rule off the table and take the vote back off women while we're at it.

It was the will of the people at the time of the vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'll never vote again if this happens.

The thing is… gay marriage and abortion only affect a small minority of the population. The vote ended in the right result.

Brexit affects everyone. Even us in Ireland and we didn’t vote on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    the voters were lied to.
    Welcome to every referendum/vote on every thing ever.

• Advertisement

did he lie 7 years ago or just change mind in meanwhile? People can and do and should be always be allowed change their minds over time.

mad muffin wrote: »
    The thing is… gay marriage and abortion only affect a small minority of the population. The vote ended in the right result.

Brexit affects everyone. Even us in Ireland and we didn’t vote on it.

Also adding that gay marriage for example has no external dependencies whatsoever, unlike Brexit, where its obvious that Brexit leadership had failed what they were supposed to do to achieve success of the cause they were selling before the vote.
    For sure there should be consequences to that.

Btw - where are things with the Russian influence over the Brexit vote ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,459 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Did you vote in the Abortion, Marriage, et al referendum here after Ireland re ran Lisburn. The UK electorate were lied to and deceived, and it has lead to the whole sh!testorm they are now in. I hope they get a revote, now that they know, or at least has a better idea, on what it really entails.

well then the youth should have gotten off their votes and gone out to vote.
    But they couldn't be arsed.
    Now they have to pay their price so maybe next time they won't be so lackadaisical about it.
    And just because a few hundred thousand people are out protesting doesn't mean anything.
    What if they did a new referendum..it barely got through and all the people who voted no went out and protested and demanded a new vote?
    I'm pretty sure the yes voters would tell them to frak off and suck it up.

Blazer wrote: »
    well then the youth should have gotten off their votes and gone out to vote.
    But they couldn't be arsed.
    Now they have to pay their price so maybe next time they won't be so lackadaisical about it.

this is something I agree with, but I think the price could be how they need to work harder at fixing it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

PCX wrote: »
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"Let's get back to being the British Empire" - this leave voter at the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SaveBrexitRally?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw&quot;&gt;#SaveBrexitRally&lt;/a&gt; in Harrogate explains why he doesn't want a <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PeoplesVote?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw&quot;&gt;#PeoplesVote&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Read more about the Brexit marches taking place across the UK here: <a href="https://t.co/yjolYwzM8j"&gt;https://t.co/yjolYwzM8j</a> <a href="https://t.co/HUQIZmxoLH">pic.twitter.com/HUQIZmxoLH</a></p>&mdash; Sky News (@SkyNews) <a href=" 20, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&quot; charset="utf-8"></script>

Putinbot malfunction…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

F*ck off Europe, we all voted out,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

mad muffin wrote: »
    Putinbot malfunction…

No I'm not a putinbot but I am really bad at embedding stuff apparently!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Massive majority voted to Repeal and for gay marriage, Brexit was close and the voters were lied to.
    Cameron told the big lie that if he did not get any concessions from the Eu he would vote for Brexit and recommend voting for Brexit .

He got nothing from the Eu and did the opposite of what he said he would do = He lied .

That Referendum started with Cameron's lie .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Surely Scotland will get their Independance vote (and probably leave), before there is another Brexit (only 2yrs since last one).

It was the will of the people at the time of the vote.

And now it's not.

If the will of the people was that the marriage equality bill didn't pass, then should that be that. "sorry gay people, tough ****, go be equal somewhere else"

The will of the people 35 years ago here is that there should be no abortion and no divorce . Same sex marriage wasn't legal until the will of the people changed .

The will of the people changes in the time between general elections.

Brexit is more important than all of those in the sense that it's even more final. If theyd voted remain and not triggered article 50 they could have voted again and triggered it at a later date. If they leave it's not just a case of having a vote in a few years and jumping back in.

Surely Scotland will get their Independance vote (and probably leave), before there is another Brexit (only 2yrs since last one).

This was my point earlier. Leavers seem very hypocritical in this regard. Surely the UK is just a smaller version of the Eu (though much "worse" in their opinion seeing as the other parts have less control ) and Scotland, Wales and NI should be set free from distant rule of London?

• Advertisement
Advertisement