Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London protests for second Brexit Vote

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I'll never vote again if this happens.

Whether you agree with a vote or not is irrelevant once the result is known. If a referendum is called the vote should stand. Thats it.

Would anti abortion protesters or people who disagreed with gay marriage get a re-vote. No nor should they.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

As we all know democracy is predicated on there only being one vote at the start, and then no more ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sounds a bit Irish. Like Lisbon: Oh you didn't vote the "right way", let's try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Whether you agree with a vote or not is irrelevant. If a referendum is called the vote should stand. Thats it.

Would anti abortion protesters or people who disagreed with gay marriage get a re-vote. No nor should they.

*Lisbon Treaty*

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whether you agree with a vote or not is irrelevant. If a referendum is called the vote should stand. Thats it.

So people are not allowed to changed their minds? What's democratic about that?

Surely if it's the will of the people it wouldn't matter if there was 10 votes, because leave would win every time?

Presumably everyone is in favour of getting rid of divorce here seeing as that took a couple of goes? Get home rule off the table and take the vote back off women while we're at it.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    Sounds a bit Irish. Like Lisbon: Oh you didn't vote the "right way", let's try again.

Not understanding the differences between 2 different votes and then using it as a griping point decades later sounds very Irish tbh.

who gets to decide when a re-vote is called?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Can we make asking "Why aren't RTE covering this story?" a yellow card offence?

Red card if they are.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/1020/1005504-brexit-protest/

So people are not allowed to changed their minds? What's democratic about that?

Surely if it's the will of the people it wouldn't matter if there was 10 votes, because leave would win every time?

Then why dont we re-run every vote we've ever had.

People change their minds all the time. Tough.

secondly, what if a person changes their mind a second time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Whether you agree with a vote or not is irrelevant once the result is known. If a referendum is called the vote should stand. Thats it.

Massive majority voted to Repeal and for gay marriage, Brexit was close and the voters were lied to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Clearly, every country should have one election at the start and then none ever for the rest of its history. Anything else is undemocratic.

I was at the march and it was fantastic. Great atmosphere, good craic and a beautiful day for it. Finished by debating with a leaver with a megaphone along with an engineer who'd travelled up for it and a lad with an England flag draped around him. Went for pints afterwards though megaphone man dropped out.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Collie D wrote: »
    Can we make asking "Why aren't RTE covering this story?" a yellow card offence?

Red card if they are.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/1020/1005504-brexit-protest/

Bonus points (double red card? ) if they use an RTE link to the story to show that RTE are not covering it. Always great when that happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If they were going to re-vote, they should have had it a year ago. Too far gone now, what with them supposed to leave in 5 months.

If they hadn't passed would you be campaigning for gay people never to be allowed to marry any time the subject came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nobody knew what they were voting for in fairness though, probably still don't.

If the parameters for a brexit ever become clear I wouldn't see anything wrong with another vote.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Massive majority voted to Repeal and for gay marriage, Brexit was close and the voters were lied to.

Majority rules. One vote is enough to win an election. That shouldnt matter.

I was simply using the gay marriage referendum as an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And by extension of your logic, the one political party should be in government for ever because the people should only express an opinion on any one subject once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Majority rules. One vote is enough to win an election. That shouldnt matter.

The majority don’t want Brexit now. The majority of NI and Scotland voted against Brexit.

kneemos wrote: »
    Nobody knew what they were voting for in fairness though, probably still don't.

If the parameters for a brexit ever become clear I wouldn't see anything wrong with another vote.

Does everybody in Ireland understand blasphemy legislation? Does every voter understand everything the president does?

Are we going to make every voter read the constitution before we have a referendum in this country?

I doubt it somehow.

The majority don’t want Brexit now. The majority of NI and Scotland voted against Brexit.

The majority wanted it at the time of the vote. Thats what counts.

• Advertisement

Then why dont we re-run every vote we've ever had.

People change their minds all the time. Tough.

secondly, what if a person changes their mind a second time

"a person " can change their mind. That happens all the time. We're talking about " the people".

If the vote was very close and say and average of about 600000 people in a country die every year (the uk) and the majority of those are elderly, the highest group likely to vote leave, which then shifts the will of the people, why should they have to stick with something voted for by people it won't affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Did you vote in the Abortion, Marriage, et al referendum here after Ireland re ran Lisburn. The UK electorate were lied to and deceived, and it has lead to the whole sh!testorm they are now in. I hope they get a revote, now that they know, or at least has a better idea, on what it really entails.

So now use it as an example of what would happen if it had been defeated. Would you oppose all attempts to legalise same sex marriage in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Cato the Elder

The majority wanted it at the time of the vote. Thats what counts.

Is it though? Democracies change, as is seen in the fact that Brexit seems to be undoing the will of the people in 1975.

What's the time limit, if there is one?

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Does everybody in Ireland understand blasphemy legislation? Does every voter understand everything the president does?

Are we going to make every voter read the constitution before we have a referendum in this country?

I doubt it somehow.

I would say they have a pretty good idea.

And by extension of your logic, the one political party should be in government for ever because the people should only express an opinion on any one subject once.

General elections are due to be held every five years and presidential elections are held every seven years in this country.

Whoever gets the most seats\votes in these elections wins.

Thats how it works.

If the same political party remains in power its because they have been elected. I dont understand how you came to the conclusion that I advocate that the same party stay in power all the time regardless of election results.

The majority of people voted for Brexit at election time. Therefore, the result of that election stands

This is the other thing. Surely all leavers should be oppose to the UK? Surely they should be pushing for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to be completely independent, get their sovereignty back and not be ruled from afar?

kneemos wrote: »
    I would say they have a pretty good idea.

How do you know that for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,846 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mint Sauce wrote:
    Did you vote in the Abortion, Marriage, et al referendum here after Ireland re ran Lisburn. The UK electorate were lied to and deceived, and it has lead to the whole sh!testorm they are now in. I hope they get a revote, now that they know, or at least has a better idea, on what it really entails.
    Brexit won, the majority wanted it. You have to try it first before you can decide that it's a failure. Then you can look at having another referendum to get back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Referendums work for social issues like marriage equality, but not for complex political decisions like Brexit where the outcome of a yes vote was never clearly known, by anyone. Add blatant lies to the mix and you have the oppsite to democracy.As soon as the result came in the questions were what does this mean?Remember May's idiotic comment that it will a be a red white and blue brexit. Meaningless words while they worked out what to do.

Advertisement