Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mytaxi change in terms 5 Euro cancellation fee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

A proper system would be ...
    You go on your app and order a my taxi .
    Driver pulls up at destination .
    Presses arrive button .
    Customer has 2 minutes to get into taxi .
    After that meter goes on .
    Customer is aware they are on the clock regarding no charge for 2 minutes.
    Unfortunately the scumbag drivers ( of which there are many) will Press the arrive button as they drive to pick up client .
    As I've already said " when your dealing with TAXIDRIVERS NO SYSTEM CAN WORK 100 % "
    Jasus that's harsh, and I'm not saying there aren't scumbag drivers but I doubt many would be thinking like that for a minute worth of running the meter.
    I personally will press the arrived button when I'm really near and I'm always their before the passenger but never have I used it like that. I'd give the passenger a few minutes before I think about starting the meter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iamtony wrote: »
    You don't do anything, the job goes back to the system and another driver will accept. You stay where you are and a driver that might even be closer to you could accept the booking. You haven't lost money on that transaction.
    A taxi driver on the other hand IS out of pocket. Your messing with his livelyhood.
    maybe you don't see it as a problem, but i do. a taxi driver should not accept a booking if s/he's not sure they can make it to that customer. what's to stop a driver switching constantly if when they're on their way to a fare, another option pops up closer to them (which in my ignorance, i would expect is the reason for a lot of driver cancellations)?
    it's a stupidly poor customer experience if a booked taxi can cancel without warning. from what i've heard, drivers cancelling is a relatively common experience, so i'm curious what the bar is for them to be booted off mytaxi, as you say happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Gave up on Mytaxi after they failed to honour a 50% off discount code they emailed and app notified me of after driver cancelled first booking made before midnight and second driver accepted my booking at 0:01. Fare was €43 quid.

maybe you don't see it as a problem, but i do. a taxi driver should not accept a booking if s/he's not sure they can make it to that customer. what's to stop a driver switching constantly if when they're on their way to a fare, another option pops up closer to them (which in my ignorance, i would expect is the reason for a lot of driver cancellations)?
    it's a stupidly poor customer experience if a booked taxi can cancel without warning. from what i've heard, drivers cancelling is a relatively common experience, so i'm curious what the bar is for them to be booted off mytaxi, as you say happens?
    it is a problem I know. It's always been a problem. The trouble is when we started using these apps we cut out the middle man and basically became the taxi dispatcher. With a traditional taxi co. You wouldn't even know when a driver has cancelled and to be honest drivers didn't cancel as often when they had to deal with a human on the other end of the radio. It is a bit too easy now for both driver and passenger to cancel. No human interaction basically allows us to do this without too much thought, or having to explain our actions.
    I can only speak for myself but I don't gerenally cancel unless I run into one of the problems I've mentioned above or a can't make a pre-booked job on time but I do know passengers cancel a lot more frequently than I do.
    Can my taxi charge drivers for cancelling? Yes I suppose they could but they would probably loose more driver this making the service worse for themselves and loosing revenue at the same time. Loosing passengers who cancel regularly is not such a big loss for them as they are paying out to the drivers on behalf of the passengers.
    P s drivers can't accept nor will they be offered instant hail job while actively on a job. We can accept a pre-booked job while on a job but it's obviously for a future time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

It seem to me that this is a fair system if allowing for situations where the driver is taking way longer than the estimate or other things out of the passenger's control.

I think drivers should be charged for doing the same.

What is really needed is competition; more taxis or taxi-style ridesharers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

My biggest pain in the ass is when taxi drivers accept your request and appear to be scratching their asses for the next 10 minutes, finishing their fag, coffee or whatever.

MyTaxi want to charge the customer for cancelling when this nonsene is going on. And it's not an issue with the app not updating correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It seem to me that this is a fair system if allowing for situations where the driver is taking way longer than the estimate or other things out of the passenger's control.

I've heard it all now .
    Spoken by someone who hasn't worked in the industry .
    Drivers having to work a minimum of 50 hours to survive .
    A lot of drivers are working over 60 hours a week.
    Try doing it in your own job for even one month and see the effect it has on you and your family .
    Numbers are falling and all because nobody wants to have to work these crazy hours .
    Not to mention the stress of having to put up with city traffic and at times dealing with extremely awkward customers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

the mapping of the closest taxi doesnt take route into account so a taxi that is straight line one minute from you but might have to take a ten minute detour to get there is always down as the lower time (if you think this doesnt come up a lot, try using the app on the quays or oconnell st sometime)

Got caught with this on O’connell Street last week. Was at the Bank of Ireland looking to go to Grand Canal to make a meeting in time, app tells me the driver is 9 mins away, fair enough, i’ll wait . Yer man rings me 2 mins later and asks me to walk over to the GPO. Then meter on, and I’m charged as he makes his way around what seemed like half of Dublin and eventually drives me past where I started from ... didn’t say anything as it was on company account but still, taking the piss...

Only used mytaxi to save the hassle of having to pay and expense the fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Cancellation Fee:
    We’re introducing a €5 passenger cancellation fee. You can cancel your trip at any time, but you may be charged a fee in certain cases where a driver already accepted your request, for example where you cancel 2 minutes or more after a driver accepts your request and is on route to pick you up. Read more about this change here. - https://mytaxi.com/fileadmin/Legal_Documents/Ireland/IE-Cancellation-Fee-May19.pdf

Future changes to the terms:
    We’re updating our terms to allow us to make minor changes to our terms in future without having to ask you to accept those terms. We’re also updating our terms to require us to take certain steps should we make more significant changes to our terms in future.

I think the cancellation fee is going to take a lot of scrutiny away from the last change they're making. How do they decide what is a 'minor change'? Will app users be notified of minor changes, if they don't even have to accept them? Potential serious lack of transparency there, I'd almost be more wary of that than the cancellation fee.

but if a driver is taking longer it's usually not his fault. It's the fault of traffic usually. It can't be helped. We would still be trying to get to you. And expecting to be paid at the end of it. If it's a case of a driver acting the maggot by finishing his lunch, well that's a different matter and from my experience doesn't happen that often.

And about more taxis and/or ride-sharing, ok I'll take the bait.
    You could become a taxi driver if you passed the knowledge test for your area. Licences are freely available, the only catch is you need to get a wheelchair accessible taxi and expect to pay about 10k insurance.
    Ride-sharing would of course bypass these issues but it would be slower journeys for you without the bus lanes, even more cancellations, fares about the same price when traffic is taken into account and a lower standard or cars etc. It goes on.

• Advertisement

Not to mention the stress of having to put up with city traffic and at times dealing with extremely awkward customers .

In fairness, in Dublin City anyway, the majority of traffic is taxis. On a weekend night the city is gridlocked with them.

I've heard it all now .
    Spoken by someone who hasn't worked in the industry .
    Drivers having to work a minimum of 50 hours to survive .
    A lot of drivers are working over 60 hours a week.
    Try doing it in your own job for even one month and see the effect it has on you and your family .
    Numbers are falling and all because nobody wants to have to work these crazy hours .
    jasus Ashleigh were you born in 1986? You sound like the old senile drivers you'd meet at a shopping centre rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Hurrache wrote: »
    In fairness, in Dublin City anyway, the majority of traffic is taxis. On a weekend night the city is gridlocked with them.

Yet username goes ....wants more taxis ??????

so the traffic in the buslanes is worse than the public lane? Weekend night I'm sure your glad of a decent supply of taxis if your out drinking.

so the traffic in the buslanes is worse than the public lane? Weekend night I'm sure your glad of a decent supply of taxis if your out drinking.

No idea what your first sentence means, or how it's relative to what I posted.

Your second sentence has nothing to do what I said either, I never commented on the supply of taxis. Just pointing out the irony of a taxi driver complaining about traffic when they make up the bulk of it.

No idea what your first sentence means, or how it's relative to what I posted.

Your second sentence has nothing to do what I said either, I never commented on the supply of taxis. Just pointing out the irony of a taxi driver complaining about traffic when they make up the bulk of it.
    First sentence was about you saying the majority of traffic is taxis. If that were true, the traffic in the bus lanes should he worse than in the normal lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Take other people into consideration. You can ruin an hour's pay for a driver with that kind of messing. You will probably be paid anyway if your working and if not then your not loosing money.

So taking people into consideration only works one way does it? **** the customer, it isn't costing them anything :rolleyes:

Closed my account with this shower a fair while back. about 75% of the taxis I booked on it cancelled, but sure I don't matter, it's not costing me an hour's pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

First sentence was about you saying the majority of traffic is taxis. If that were true, the traffic in the bus lanes should he worse than in the normal lane.

Taxis are not confined to the bus lanes though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You don't do anything, the job goes back to the system and another driver will accept. You stay where you are and a driver that might even be closer to you could accept the booking. You haven't lost money on that transaction.
    A taxi driver on the other hand IS out of pocket. Your messing with his livelyhood. He could be passing by customers on the street to get to you. Honestly it's become a big problem. I've spent 20 minutes(as a driver) heading towards customers and then they pull in a taxi or something and just cancel. It's something that's becoming more common as people become more self centred and don't care who they are effecting once they are ok. When you book and you don't like the eta, then you should cancel. This nonsense of letting a driver head towards you and then taking a street car if you see one first has to stop it's terrible.

P.s drivers are already paid a cancellation fee when people cancel after a certain amount of time. Mytaxi have covered this cost themselves. It's obviously becoming to big a problem for them to just pay it and keep everyone happy.
    That works both ways - the punter could order the taxi and then find out it’s cancelled 5 minutes later and perhaps multiple taxis have passed by. If drivers think punters are acting up then there should also be a cancellation penalty for a driver which accepts a fare and then cancels it.

Bizarre logic.

• Advertisement

if drivers constantly cancel they get barred off the mytaxi system. For drivers accepting jobs while on jobs that is a practise they shouldn't engage in and you should report it in the app.
    Sometimes traffic changes after a driver has accepted your booking like a protest (more common than you think) of a collision and it's not the fault of the driver if he can't make it exactly on the time the app told you. Sometimes that is why drivers cancel, and I've genuinely done it with the good of the customer in mind. If I'm stuck somewhere and I think they have a better chance of getting a closer car then I will let it go.

That should not be your choice based on your assumption though. Either suffer the same penalty as the punter or offer a free cancellation for agreement by the punter.

Jasus that's harsh, and I'm not saying there aren't scumbag drivers but I doubt many would be thinking like that for a minute worth of running the meter.
    I personally will press the arrived button when I'm really near and I'm always their before the passenger but never have I used it like that. I'd give the passenger a few minutes before I think about starting the meter.

Why should you press arrive before you’re at the precise spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BailMeOut wrote: »
    says "If you decide to cancel your order for a taxi 2 or more minutes after the taxi driver accepted your order, you will be charged a €5 Cancellation Fee."

so if you can cancel less than 2 mins after driver accepts you would not be charged.

And after ten minutes when the taxi cancels nothing happens to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have been on buses which have taken longer getting down camden street/georges street at 11pm than they take at 5pm, and the reason was the roads were choked with taxis.
    taxis need more regulation. i would asssume that measures which would reduce the prevalence of part time taxi drivers would be welcomed by full time drivers?

Georges, Camden and onto Wexford Street are just ridiculousl alright, worse than rush hour.

i have been on buses which have taken longer getting down camden street/georges street at 11pm than they take at 5pm, and the reason was the roads were choked with taxis.
    taxis need more regulation. i would asssume that measures which would reduce the prevalence of part time taxi drivers would be welcomed by full time drivers?
    the Camden Street thing is am enforcement thing and the Garda are to blame for that one. It's down to one lane because of taxis parked on either side of the road. They need to put a stop to that but in fairness they also need to accommodate the amount of people who are looking for taxis their at that hour so they should repurpose one of the multistorey car parks at night or something to give it some order.
    em. Touchy subject but personally I thing part time drivers are needed at the busy times. It allows the full time driver to do better during the weekdays. If there were more full time drivers it would effect me more if they were out more during the week when I was working compared to join at covering the hours when you find people walking home because of the lack of taxis.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Why should you press arrive before you’re at the precise spot?
    by the time the passenger comes out I'm their. It just speeds things up a little. I'm talking pressing arrived when I'm 100 yards away.

ted1 wrote: »
    And after ten minutes when the taxi cancels nothing happens to him.
    it should after that long I agree. Maybe not a financial penalty but not being able to receive a job for an hour would be a good start

Bizarre logic.

Not really, take the quays as a good example. If their were more taxis than private cars the bus lane would be backed up more than the normal lane. Sound reasonable to me. Theres about 10,000 taxis (which are needed) in Dublin roughly and about half a million private cars you can do the maths.

• Advertisement

This is like an AMA thread now I'm checking out soon:pac:

Advertisement