Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mytaxi change in terms 5 Euro cancellation fee

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think a refundable deposit of 5 euro on a booking would make more sense, and let it swing both ways tbh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The recurring theme here seems to be customers cancel for no reason and drivers always have a good one. Traffic etc.
    I have regularly seen the one where they are pulled up at shops or outside a house not moving for 10 minutes. Yet the app is telling you driver will be there in 2 minutes. If the customer is left waiting like this why should they be penalised for cancelling. Your would do the same in a shop or restaurant for bad service. I have seen on the map drivers cancelling when just around the corner with no traffic in sight.
    Sure, it's both ways but let the penalty be also.
    Listening to the driver reasons here I'd say it would be a headache for MyTaxi to ban a driver for cancelling jobs.
    I prefer to use Uber or Lynk now. Much less issues with drivers cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Got caught with this on O’connell Street last week. Was at the Bank of Ireland looking to go to Grand Canal to make a meeting in time, app tells me the driver is 9 mins away, fair enough, i’ll wait . Yer man rings me 2 mins later and asks me to walk over to the GPO. Then meter on, and I’m charged as he makes his way around what seemed like half of Dublin and eventually drives me past where I started from ... didn’t say anything as it was on company account but still, taking the piss...

Only used mytaxi to save the hassle of having to pay and expense the fare.

It's about a nine minute drive(with some traffic) to O'Connell Street from Heuston Station(but he could have been somewhere else). Also, as you were at BOI, if he was coming down the quays, he asked you to cross over to save time. If he picked you up at the GPO, there is no quick U-turn, and he would have had to go up and around the Rotunda Hospital, and back down O'Connell Street anyway.
    To be fair, you could have probably hailed a taxi on O'Connell Street, got to your meeting on time. But as you were expensing the fare, it cost you nothing, but it was the drivers fault he took the long way(which he probably didn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As a customer so I have to register a credit card with my taxi before making a booking? Or how do they take the fiver?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Seve OB wrote: »
    As a customer so I have to register a credit card with my taxi before making a booking? Or how do they take the fiver?

If you are paying with credit card, they will charge you 5 eur. If you pay by cash, they will block your account until you pay up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Email from MyTaxi. You will hear that all passengers will start to be charged a cancellation fee for cancelling on drivers after their driver has accepted and is en route to the passenger. While this charge will apply to everyone while hailing on their personal account, this charge will not be applied when you order using your mytaxi | business account.

1 rule for business customers and another for regular users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

bonjurkes wrote: »
    mytaxi claims they are closely watching for possible abuse of cancellation by drivers.
    Maybe they should watch on drivers that charge one fee on the spot but then claim a different, lower, one on the app.

It has happened to me once or twice, always going to the airport. Lets say fare was €20, driver took the money (I pay cash) but then I got a receipt for €15. He even told me he was doing it to avoid paying whatever fee or commission the app charges them or the likes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭bonjurkes

Barna77 wrote: »
    Maybe they should watch on drivers that charge one fee on the spot but then claim a different, lower, one on the app.

It has happened to me once or twice, always going to the airport. Lets say fare was €20, driver took the money (I pay cash) but then I got a receipt for €15. He even told me he was doing it to avoid paying whatever fee or commission the app charges them or the likes of it.

Well have you reported those drivers to mytaxi? Otherwise they wouldn't know which drivers do this practice.

I think mytaxi turns blind eye to drivers' faults as long as they don't try to rip off the company. Because as I can guess they are having hard time finding taxi drivers to use their app. And they definitely prefer having more drivers than customers, as their main income is from drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ah in 2015 I predicted that Hailo would rule the market and wipe out radio firms

What do I know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Ah in 2015 I predicted that Hailo would rule the market and wipe out radio firms

they will never wipe out call centres
    there is still an awful lot of people want to ring a phone number to book their taxis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Email from MyTaxi. You will hear that all passengers will start to be charged a cancellation fee for cancelling on drivers after their driver has accepted and is en route to the passenger. While this charge will apply to everyone while hailing on their personal account, this charge will not be applied when you order using your mytaxi | business account.

1 rule for business customers and another for regular users.

There's much less messing with business people. There's a lot of messers using the app nowadays, especially at weekends.
    Last Saturday evening I tried working the app. Of the first five job offers I completed two jobs and got three " no contacts" . I don't have the time or patience for that carry on so I switched off the app and worked the ranks. Hopefully this new policy gets rid of some of the messers.
    As for using the app in the city center.. why bother ?? It'll take longer and cost more. Taxis are generally plentiful around town. Flagging down a cab or going to a rank is generally cheaper and easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

KoolKid wrote: »
    The recurring theme here seems to be customers cancel for no reason and drivers always have a good one. Traffic etc.
    I have regularly seen the one where they are pulled up at shops or outside a house not moving for 10 minutes. Yet the app is telling you driver will be there in 2 minutes. If the customer is left waiting like this why should they be penalised for cancelling. Your would do the same in a shop or restaurant for bad service. I have seen on the map drivers cancelling when just around the corner with no traffic in sight.
    Sure, it's both ways but let the penalty be also.
    Listening to the driver reasons here I'd say it would be a headache for MyTaxi to ban a driver for cancelling jobs.
    I prefer to use Uber or Lynk now. Much less issues with drivers cancelling.

Well Uber are due to float on the US stock market this afternoon, maybe you should buy a couple of shares, I'll certainly be watching the floatation with interest but won't be putting any money into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

mikemac2 wrote: »

I've been using them since MyTaxi became crap,

There's much less messing with business people. There's a lot of messers using the app nowadays, especially at weekends.
    Last Saturday evening I tried working the app. Of the first five job offers I completed two jobs and got three " no contacts" . I don't have the time or patience for that carry on so I switched off the app and worked the ranks. Hopefully this new policy gets rid of some of the messers.
    As for using the app in the city center.. why bother ?? It'll take longer and cost more. Taxis are generally plentiful around town. Flagging down a cab or going to a rank is generally cheaper and easier.

I like to use the app because the amount of taxis in Dublin that don't accept card payment is frankly disgraceful. I don't carry cash and don't want to stop on journey to use an ATM. But this cancellation fee along with €2 booking charge will make people consider other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I like to use the app because the amount of taxis in Dublin that don't accept card payment is frankly disgraceful. I don't carry cash and don't want to stop on journey to use an ATM. But this cancellation fee along with €2 booking charge will make people consider other options.

Fair enough... And if you're willing to pay a 2 euro premium on top of your fare for the convenience of using a card that's your prerogative. However cards & cash are not mutually exclusive. I carry both. There are still quite a few establishments around who take cash only. A few notes in your pocket weigh nothing and take up virtually no space. Always handy to have. Personally I think a snobbishness has developed recently where some people think cash is not cool or trendy but that's a whole other discussion.

Fair enough... And if you're willing to pay a 2 euro premium on top of your fare for the convenience of using a card that's your prerogative. However cards & cash are not mutually exclusive. I carry both. There are still quite a few establishments around who take cash only. A few notes in your pocket weigh nothing and take up virtually no space. Always handy to have. Personally I think a snobbishness has developed recently where some people think cash is not cool or trendy but that's a whole other discussion.

Snobbishness :D Cash is an inconvenience and is rife in the black market and illegal trade. The world is moving cashless and that is a good thing.

I've been at Dublin airport before and had to skip 5 or 6 taxis before I could find one that would accept card payment. Why are taxi drivers so averse to moving to technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Snobbishness :D Cash is an inconvenience and is rife in the black market and illegal trade. The world is moving cashless and that is a good thing.

I've been at Dublin airport before and had to skip 5 or 6 taxis before I could find one that would accept card payment. Why are taxi drivers so averse to moving to technology?

Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

I could find one that would accept card payment. Why are taxi drivers so averse to moving to technology?

Because cash is king if your a cabdriver , for some its no receipt, cash in hand no tax need be paid. Credit card means a record of income and therefore taxation.

They should make it like london, no permit renewal there for black cabs unless you have a card machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are the car details visible in mytaxi when a driver accepts?
    i.e. do you know if it's going to be a knackered old avensis coming to pick you up?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As long as you like your bank, the tax man and everyone else knowing what you do with every last penny you earn. I remember sitting in a pub /restaurant last year with €300 in my pocket watching hundreds of people like yourself running around like headless chickens when Visa went down all over Europe.

On a side note when I did use My Taxi virtually every cash fare was followed by the reply do you mind if I put down less on the app. My Taxi are robbing us with 12%commission. Amazing that the taxi drivers that are being robbed keep using them..
    Also amazing when they were offered better value options via Flag or Whistle drivers didn't support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

are the car details visible in mytaxi when a driver accepts?
    i.e. do you know if it's going to be a knackered old avensis coming to pick you up?
    they are. I despise have to pay to be brought in a Prius.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

shanec1928 wrote: »
    they are. I despise have to pay to be brought in a Prius.

I refuse. Miserable basktards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Reasons I use Mytaxi
    1. I don't carry much cash, certainly not an indefinite amount. Taxi fares are indefinite, a route I take regularly can range in fare from e13 to e19.
    2. I like my trip history, never fail to have a receipt come expense clsim time.
    3. I work in a business park. Taxis do not cone near us unless hailed.

Reasons why I disagree with cancel charge.

1. Geolocation. Despite saving my eircode, and usually being in a fixed position for up to 8hrs, mytaxi routinely gets mt saved 'Work' location wrong. Driver arrives 3km away. Presume this fee would apply to me now.

2. Inexplicable driver cancels. You double check location, wait for a driver to accept, then get ready to leave. Look at phone and see driver cancelled. Total waste of my time, no respect for me, no penalty on driver.

3. If not travelling from office I use MyTaxi from the street. While waiting on my taxi, usually a time that is generously under estimated by the app, I see other empty mytaxi cabs pass me by. By waiting on my mytaxi, I have missed trains home. Recently when this occurs I cancel and hope a nearer taxi collects me. Roguish behaviour now with a fine, but all I am doing is trying to get the most available / near to me taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Genghis.....like all organisations there is a system with my taxis .
    The more work you do with my taxis the higher up the scale you go.
    There is a gold/ silver/ bronze scale with them.
    Do so many calls in a week get gold and so on.
    Also there is a priority scale with them.
    What happens a lot of the time is that your call is going first to either a gold or priority driver.
    In this instance it's not and IT SHOULD be going to the nearest car .
    That's why you will see free cars driving by you .
    If my taxi gave a crap about their customers they would drop this marking of drivers and just send nearest car all the time.
    Also 3 cancellations by a driver in a week and you should be banned off the system.
    My taxi is completely run from Dublin .
    How can you run a company with no representation whatsoever around the cities of a country you operate in ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Genghis.....like all organisations there is a system with my taxis .
    The more work you do with my taxis the higher up the scale you go.
    There is a gold/ silver/ bronze scale with them.
    Do so many calls in a week get gold and so on.
    Also there is a priority scale with them.
    What happens a lot of the time is that your call is going first to either a gold or priority driver.
    In this instance it's not and IT SHOULD be going to the nearest car .
    That's why you will see free cars driving by you .
    If my taxi gave a crap about their customers they would drop this marking of drivers and just send nearest car all the time.
    Also 3 cancellations by a driver in a week and you should be banned off the system.
    My taxi is completely run from Dublin .
    How can you run a company with no representation whatsoever around the cities of a country you operate in ????
    The priority system only applies to pre-booked jobs. Instant job still go to the nearest driver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Genghis wrote: »
    While waiting on my taxi, usually a time that is generously under estimated by the app, I see other empty mytaxi cabs pass me by.
    quite possible they (or some of them) are on a way to a booking though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

A lot of people complaining about certain taxis not able to take credit cards, but can I add that Dublin Bus doesn't allow credit cards at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    A lot of people complaining about certain taxis not able to take credit cards, but can I add that Dublin Bus doesn't allow credit cards at all.
    not really sure why that’s relevant. Taxis don’t accept leap cards...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

:):):). 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I do but the Sum Up card reader doesn't recognise them.

Advertisement