Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

I really can't see this working unless every single car van suv 4x4 on the road is fully autonomous. And at that motorcycles cyclist wouldn't want to be on the road. Not bashing cyclist or anything plenty of those threads here. Where the issue is, a computer can't read the stupidity of people be it ignorance or simply miss judgment or a laps of concentration every single day someone will pull out in front of you or cut you off at the last second. Usually at commuter times. They are a whole other issue in themselves tho. But as professional drivers we have to have a sixth since for these situations.

If anyone will do it it will be Volvo tho with they're unreal breaking system
    https://youtu.be/0myPp2NmOqo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rave.ef wrote: »

while the truck brakes on that were brilliant that kid was still getting hit but turning to his left and pegging a few paces on front of the truck saved him from getting a smack.

neris wrote: »
    while the truck brakes on that were brilliant that kid was still getting hit but turning to his left and pegging a few paces on front of the truck saved him from getting a smack.

Oh without a doubt. Luckiest kid in the world that day. But id hate to have seen the outcome with out the brake assist the Volvo has

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Oh without a doubt. Luckiest kid in the world that day. But id hate to have seen the outcome with out the brake assist the Volvo has

paint-splatter-2.png

• Advertisement

paint-splatter-2.png

There was defiantly few jox like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Spotted that on Facebook.

Had the child stood still or not been quick enough it would have been a very different outcome.

I really can't see this working unless every single car van suv 4x4 on the road is fully autonomous. And at that motorcycles cyclist wouldn't want to be on the road. Not bashing cyclist or anything plenty of those threads here. Where the issue is, a computer can't read the stupidity of people be it ignorance or simply miss judgment or a laps of concentration every single day someone will pull out in front of you or cut you off at the last second. Usually at commuter times. They are a whole other issue in themselves tho. But as professional drivers we have to have a sixth since for these situations.

Maybe in another 50 years all this might be practicable.

Even computers have flaws, things will never be 100% perfect.

The sixth sense is the biggie there for a professional driver.

Whenever there is an accident involving a truck (or bus) the first one to be blamed is usually the professional driver.

Maybe in another 50 years all this might be practicable.

Even computers have flaws, things will never be 100% perfect.

The sixth sense is the biggie there for a professional driver.

Whenever there is an accident involving a truck (or bus) the first one to be blamed is usually the professional driver.

It's easy blame the truck or bus driver.
    A few years ago in the UK there was a serious crash where a few people lost there lives. When they went after the truck driver they couldn't find a fault with the truck his taco was 100% so they went after his personal life he was a divorcee and put the fault on him going to a pub for his dinner when ever he was home and more than likely had a pint with the dinner. He also passed the bag and blood tests.
    Now as far as I can remember he was at fault but they wanted to make an example of him and he ended up with a custodial sentence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is level 4 possible in trucks at this point in time?

Human error does of course occur, but is a machine only as good as the person who programs it? i.e a Human in many cases?

I doubt anything is level 4 yet. That's the thing the autonomous vehicle unless it's level 4 will require a driver to intervene when the s#*t hits the fan. But with the driver not having to do anything until the last moment it's obvious that the driver won't be able to to react in time so the vehicle manufacturer can still blame the human for the incident, while the system is a design flaw.

Programming is going to take a long time to get right. Look at the incident in Vagas a few months ago. The autonomous vehicle wasn't programed to reverse when it saw the truck reversing into it so it crashed. Not to mention the fact that they have to tell the vehicle who to kill and the litigation that will follow the 1st fatality of an autonomous vehicle.

Aidan Doherty Transport are still on the lookout for drivers as well.

€31K a year servicing Aldi and Lidl.

https://ie.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=64b452c71a61c5b9&from=serp&prevUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fie.indeed.com%2Fm%2Fjobs%3Fq%3DHaulage

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭audiavantawx

Seems to be a lot of jobs for drivers at the moment,is there a lack of drivers or too many without the experience most companies are after?

Seems to be a lot of jobs for drivers at the moment,is there a lack of drivers or too many without the experience most companies are after?

Experience can be a sticking point with some companies for insurance reasons.

Others just want experienced drivers full stop as they don't want to be the ones to train a person up and then watch them flee the nest to bigger (and better?) things.

There is also a lack of drivers out there, the older established guys got sick of doing the long hours/low pay in many cases, combined with costs such as licences being halved to 5 years since 2013,CPC's,ADR,medicals,digi cards,manual handling,fork lift licences.

Now that's not in all cases,but in many,maybe half perhaps.

In the last 14 months i've had to renew my licence, my digi card just last week.

My costs are generally:

Licence €55 every 5 years
    Digi card €45 every 5 years (online)
    CPC's €300, modules 1-6 as i have the bus as well.
    Medical €50 every 5 years
    My ADR expired so i have to start from scratch again, €1000 for 5 years
    Manual handling/fork truck course, €500 every 3 years.
    Looking at the Air cargo course, €100 for 5 years.
    I left my safepass expire and doubt i'll ever renew it, that was €100 for 5 years.
    The CPC card itself was free thank god.

https://ie.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=64b452c71a61c5b9&from=serp&prevUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fie.indeed.com%2Fm%2Fjobs%3Fq%3DHaulage

As far as I know if you are in a store outside of its hours youv to let yourself in and out. Bit of extra responsibility. I know you unload yourself at the warehouse anyway I do it all too often.

Serious shortage and its hard to get a start in the industry too so doesn't help the situation. Cost of the licence and maintaining it with the cpcs at 50 a pop

Was beaten too it and better explained:-)

As far as I know if you are in a store outside of its hours youv to let yourself in and out. Bit of extra responsibility. I know you unload yourself at the warehouse anyway I do it all too often.

Serious shortage and its hard to get a start in the industry too so doesn't help the situation. Cost of the licence and maintaining it with the cpcs at 50 a pop

Was beaten too it and better explained:-)
    I was offered a job by Doherty's only last summer, i was up for it as the hours suited me better than where i am at the moment and the money also better,i was being allowed take the truck and trailer home with me as well.

I might make the approach again around easter to them.

I'm finishing up in my own job for a while at the end of next week for about 2 months, so if i get the time i might look around and speak to them again.

The FAS lads are finding it impossible to get their break with some of the companies, mainly because, and i got this first hand from a major company director, they cause damage in a matter of hours or days getting on the road with them.

The CPC's, jasus we won't go there. :rolleyes: :pac:

I know all to well myself the cost of it all
    Always seems something needs to be renewed
    My adr is up next year,cost 750 and never saw any use,hard to justify that outlay unless your guaranteed something

I know all to well myself the cost of it all
    Always seems something needs to be renewed
    My adr is up next year,cost 750 and never saw any use,hard to justify that outlay unless your guaranteed something

Is that for the refresher?

I never got any use out of mine in the 5 years i had it.

The one company who offered me the opportunity in that work were paying €70 per day so i said fcuk that.

If i were a single man, for the experience of hauling the stuff i'd have done it, but with kids to feed i couldn't.

Are you driving away yourself?

Is that for the refresher?

I never got any use out of mine in the 5 years i had it.

The one company who offered me the opportunity in that work were paying €70 per day so i said fcuk that.

If i were a single man, for the experience of hauling the stuff i'd have done it, but with kids to feed i couldn't.

Are you driving away yourself?

That was for the full course,refresher is 300 odd I think
    2 or 3 day
    70 a day haha crazy for adr work
    I was before Xmas there,only rigid multi drop,pure brain melt.Not enough hours in the day
    Not driving at minute,will get back to it if something better comes up
    Wouldn't mind nationwide work or set run

They rarely come up though,here's to wishful thinking ha

You doing nationwide or local runs

That was for the full course,refresher is 300 odd I think
    2 or 3 day
    70 a day haha crazy for adr work
    I was before Xmas there,only rigid multi drop,pure brain melt.Not enough hours in the day
    Not driving at minute,will get back to it if something better comes up
    Wouldn't mind nationwide work or set run

They rarely come up though,here's to wishful thinking ha

You doing nationwide or local runs

I'll have to shop around so for cheaper quotes for the ADR.

Did your quote include the exam fee?

the 2 courses are over 5 days from what i remember, tankers 2 days,packages 3 days.

Multi drop is a curse, i did it for 5 years, i swore never again would i do it unless the money was something else which it won't be anytime soon :rolleyes:

I'm doing nationwide, it's grand and handy,if i'm going up East i bounce up the road and collect a trailer in Dublin to collect my load, then straight back to the depot.

If i'm going West i go up with the full unit collect and back down again, in both cases i just drop the trailer and go home.

The waiting before Christmas the biggest killer for me though, i was waiting 9 hours to be loaded as someone didn't do their paperwork properly and check me in, so it was hectic to get all of that sorted.

That day was a 15 hour shift when i thought it was going to be 8/9 which it usually is.

The doherty hours/money are that bit better than what i am on currently though, the main difference between what they do and what i do is they have to load the truck themselves,i don't.

I don't even have to actually get out of the cab unless i'm dropping/picking trailers or going home.

I'd rather do the extra bit of work though for the extra few bob and start/finish at respectable times.

Doherty's can start at about 4 in the morning and finish around 3/4/ that day, you'd still have some bit of time with the family, which at the moment is manageable but difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

I live on a main road with a 3.5t weight limit off the m50 and any truck delivering to the areas beyond me who has to go the "normal" route has an extra 20 minutes added into their journey. The weight limits not policed. 1 nimby (taxi driver) in the area tried to get an anti HGV Facebook group going last year which failed spectacularly. Personally it doesn't bother me and see some nice yokes passing the house. Though did come out of the house at 7am one morning few weeks back to find a wareberers parked up having a cuppa across a few of the neighbours driveways

How many houses did he knock leaving😂😂😂

Dublin is hard going at times. I was going to a site in ballsbridge last year on a nearly daily biases 6x2 and 45 foot flat. Only way to get to the gate to back in was around a restricted (big wide) road or an illigel u turn at a junction just below the site. Sometimes you just can't win.

You'd get the odd scania wit stacks or side pipes but our exhaust brakes are nothing compared to the jake brakes.

Dublin is a nightmare. In it all day everyday in an 8 wheeler.

2 of my relatives are taxi drivers, they hate truckers and on one occasion one of them tried to make my life hell on a narrow bridge trying to get me to reverse the Artic, cops called the works so I know how twisted some of them are.

What is the general opinion of residents to HGV’s passing through?

Coming out of the house and seeing the truck obscuring a persons property isn’t ideal.

I’d of stuck it on a 45 and gotbout and locked it.

Little Island Transport 2001 DAF looking very tired in 2016.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90331239@N02/24078714430/in/album-72157645202110204/

They just bought a few more lately in first choice vommerciLs.

They just bought a few more lately in first choice vommerciLs.

They’ll go for DAF I’d say,again.

http://www.firstchoicecommercials.ie/search.php?ref=tractor-units&xstrt=8

I’d of stuck it on a 45 and gotbout and locked it.

I’d have loved to :pac:

There always looking with adds on donedeal.
    Lidl work is also horrible work. It was my first job.

They did 3 or 4 of them. Horrible horrible trucks dafs are

I’d have loved to :pac:

Trust me I’d of had no problem doing it. Dunno if it’s just me or what lately but there is more and more car drivers getting aggressive and dangerous lately around lorries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It really annoys me that the jobs that actually matter and are very stressful are poorly paid

Fully support the sub forum

Are many lads still doing continental work or is the money gone out of that as well?

Advertisement