Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Their theif outfit is so boring, it's just like a mash of Queen and Joker :(

Says "tale of the third school semester" so is that extra in game time after December?

Yes, if you look at the trailer one of the cutscenes is at Christmas but after the final battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Yes, if you look at the trailer one of the cutscenes is at Christmas but after the final battle.
    That'll be great, that was one thing that annoyed me the first play that I thought I had more time for social links. I'll have to look again I didn't even spot that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still have a lingering sense of disappointment with Persona 5. Immense sounds and visuals and general presentation aside, there was something about it that never wholly clicked. I mean I recognise the host of improvements and refinements to the formula, but compared to Persona 4 I was left cold. Was a proper push to get to the end, especially since it’s a good two dungeons too long. Maybe part of that is just me being a fair few years older at this stage, but I dunno guess I was expecting something more radical and forward-thinking given the quality leaps the series has shown itself capable of making before.

You're not the only person I've heard say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I do think Persona 4 is probably the best expression of modern persona. The small town whodunit nature fits well with the game play systems and the day by day approach.

Persona 5 had pretty big pacing problems, though not as bad as P3 which for me felt like nothing happened until the final three months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Same as above and Johnny.

Certainly no chance of me buying a new game.

If it's dlc ...even then not unless I can jump right in.

I wonder if they can be arsed to patch the original game in any dlc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually preferred Persona 3... I much like the darker tone and the characters. Felt more like a mainline SMT game than Persona 4 and the characters were more believable as teenagers.

I also don't really mind not having control over your party, it adds something unique to the game and I'm having fun going back to it in The Answer.

I do admit it gets very annoying when characters start spamming break skills when they should be doing damage in the late game but it does make the pace of the game so much faster.

I played P3 over a very long period of time which probably didn't help but my issue pacing wise is that it feels like literally nothing happens until near the end of the game in terms of plot. It keeps the characters in the dark for too long.

megaten wrote: »
    I do think Persona 4 is probably the best expression of modern persona. The small town whodunit nature fits well with the game play systems and the day by day approach.
    I enjoyed 4 the least of P345 not that I didn't enjoy it, just out of the 3
    Yosuke and Yukiko annoyed me and they're the main part of the start, when Naoto came in I started enjoying it more and after the 8bit Dungeon boss absolutely wrecked my head!

I really loved Jojo Part 4 so wonder if I should go back to it again, there's loads of cross over, especially this
    of the telephone pole
    from the start of both of them
    https://unwinnable.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/comparison_telephonepoles-980x368.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well we have had a rhythm game so why not a Musou game now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Xenji wrote: »

Weeeellll.....not what was expected.

• Advertisement

Bbbbbooooooooooo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Grade-A corporate trolling from Atlus.

Xenji wrote: »

Atlus rn like
    giphy.gif

I saw this on FB "In November 2015, Atlus issued the following comment to Weekly Famitsu magazine after Persona ranked 10th in the games fans would want to see adapted into Musou/Warriors the most: "It'd be interesting if we could make it one day."
    https://personacentral.com/atlus-comments-on-the-possibility-of-a-shin-megami-tensei-and-persona-warriorsmusou-game/

Is there P5 Pachinko yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ah crap. Are we not all Musou'ed out by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I beat Etrian Odyssey 5! That 5th stratum boss was hard, Aegis Shield really helped.

Thats a shame, it'd be great if you could use your new game plus data to you don't have to spend time getting for socials stats back up.

megaten wrote: »
    Thats a shame, it'd be great if you could use your new game plus data to you don't have to spend time getting for socials stats back up.
    Yeah I'm surprised really tbh.
    There's a part saying "The volume of the third semester in Persona 5 Royal is being prepared to go beyond expectations of those who played through the volume of Persona 4 Golden" so maybe the longer time means it's possible/easier but it says yes to new social links as well, on top of the 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

62 hrs into Dragon quest ix, I must say its a really great game, hope more come over west.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any tips for the Lord of shadows boss fight in dragon quest ix?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Aww, I've never played their games (even though I have Disgaea DS). I do hope things get better for them and their staff.

They've been in dire financial trouble before. They went crazy with Disgaea money when that became a surprise hit and dipped their toe into the anime localization and publishing business which hit them hard. I know they lost a lot of talent as well a few years ago with most of the disgaea team moving out and working on Trillion.

Hope they pull out of it as they do bring out the odd release that really interests me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They've been in dire financial trouble before. They went crazy with Disgaea money when that became a surprise hit and dipped their toe into the anime localization and publishing business which hit them hard. I know they lost a lot of talent as well a few years ago with most of the disgaea team moving out and working on Trillion.

Hope they pull out of it as they do bring out the odd release that really interests me.

Don't think the anime business lost them anything. They got out because of increased competition.
    I'd be sorry to see NIS go despite them not putting out very many good games these days. Both NIS and NISA seem to bleed talent pretty regularly. Though in NIS's case its their own fault because of scummy business practices.

Atelier Lulua launched yesterday.

Not buying it yet as I've still Meruru to beat.

Apparently there's a **** tonne of DLC on the way, three DLC packs featuring the three previous arland protagonists. Really hate the Tecmo Koei DLC practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Finished Dragon Quest 11 last night, lovely, fun game, if a little easy when you get over level 40 or so. Still threw about 70 hours into it. Defo one for fans if classic FF games.

Finished Dragon Quest 11 last night, lovely, fun game, if a little easy when you get over level 40 or so. Still threw about 70 hours into it. Defo one for fans if classic FF games.

Have you played the post game? Apparently there's lots more story in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have you played the post game? Apparently there's lots more story in it.

Nope, literally just killed mordegon and put the machine into rest mode. Will have a look later.

• Advertisement

Apparently the post game is very good in DQ11.

DQ games all lately have had a main quest ending and then a post game with more story that wraps everything up or explains a lot more of the story and it's a shame to miss out on it.

Advertisement