Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the trailer again, and yeah, my lingering apathy comes down to those designs, sharing Johnny_U's thoughts. No personality, no artistic flair or character and while the original block people haven't aged too well, it still gave the game a certain charm - while those pretty-boy anime'esque redesigns just look ... bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Square are still capable of making good Final Fantasy games. not played FF15 yet but FF13-2 and FF13-3 were very good.

You still trolling everyone with that line? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The stories were dire but if you play FF for the story you are playing the wrong series. I had a lot of fun with FF13-2. It had some fun systems to mess around with.

FF13-3 however is a secret best FF. It's a bit like FF8 were moat of the fun is exploiting how broken it is and it's designed to be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I have a horrible feeling they'll completely curtail entire themes from the game in favour of "HEY GUYS, REMEMBER SEPHIROTH"

Im going to reserve judgement but the rumoured episodic split and and the shift away from ATB has me on the fence. And im a turbo FF7 fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Vicxas wrote: »
    I have a horrible feeling they'll completely curtail entire themes from the game in favour of "HEY GUYS, REMEMBER SEPHIROTH"

Im going to reserve judgement but the rumoured episodic split and and the shift away from ATB has me on the fence. And im a turbo FF7 fan.

Jim Sterling posted a video a few hours ago echoing the same concerns you have about the games theme's being neutered in favour of the whole Cloud vs Sephiroth theme.

No ATB/Turn Based battles i can deal with. I do still love the turn based RPGS but i'm open to new ideas, as the original FF7 is still there to be played whenever i want

• Advertisement

The stories were dire but if you play FF for the story you are playing the wrong series.

According to who?
    Whether you like it or not, most of the lads here posting loved the story of 6,7,8 or 9 and the younger lads loved 10+
    A lot of that love is because it was their first experience with a game that told a proper story rather than whatever old crap we'd wrap around a platformer or side scroller.
    Yeah, looking back it was quite poor compared to what's done now, but to say that anyone who plays FF for the story is wrong is nothing but the height of ignorance.

I'd say you were weak for ff7 when it was released, just because you changed your opinion on it doesn't make everyone else automatically wrong

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A lot of that love is because it was their first experience with a game that told a proper story rather than whatever old crap we'd wrap around a platformer or side scroller.

This was the case for me, FF7 was my first game I experienced that told a proper story as you put it and the first game I fell in love with the characters, it started me on the road of jrpgs ,after I finished it I went looking for more games similar to it, I found classics like star ocean, grandia, legend of dragoon ,grandia 2 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I used to have to rent out a playstation in the video shop for a night. Not knowing any idea of titles i rented was ff7.

Ff7 i spent a shed load of hours playing it, me begging my parents to rent it out the ps1 for another night. Few hourse before i had to return the ps i got past midgard. Mind blown. Never seen it again but one of those games as a kid you know, when you know

About 3 years later, i used to hit zhivago before school for cd's for a browse (14/15) at the time, and i seen ff7 on the rack in the ****ty game section they had. Hid that till the next day later till i got the quid and could buy it.
    Ps2 was compatible and i redid the whole of midgard and was blown away that i only got started.

Thats what got me into ff, that rent for the night on ps1. Bought ff8 to play on the ps2 and used to hound my buddy for 9.
    And ive bought the few after, Auron the boss man to be fair. That was a brilliant turn based game. Wish they did it in that formula.

Nostalgia,

End of the day, im buying this game, because im a grown ass adult and i wanna see what they've done.
    Hate the new combat all the same.

Ff10 mechanics were brilliant, turned based, but had the the tree to level from. First time you always ****ed it up.

Wish they growed that sysytem instead of auto attack free for all.

*few beers in me and landed home, came across the thread and the bloody nostalgia of this game

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

I hope they keep some of the more funny moments in like Barre losing his **** when cloud asks for his pay and cloud trying to win the wig from what gym,cracks me up whenever I played through it.

Also don't mind the combat system changing but would like to see something different to ff XV you could coast through battles in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

According to who?
    Whether you like it or not, most of the lads here posting loved the story of 6,7,8 or 9 and the younger lads loved 10+
    Yeah, looking back it was quite poor compared to what's done now, but to say that anyone who plays FF for the story is wrong is nothing but the height of ignorance.

I'd say you were weak for ff7 when it was released, just because you changed your opinion on it doesn't make everyone else automatically wrong

Yeah I was a big ff7 fanboy on release but in retrospect the stories of all the games are just anime tropes. The best I'll say about the stories is that they are well paced for the most part so keep the player moving through them and they can be fun in that regard. However the mechanics are far more important I've found. The only real exception is FF Tactics which has a fantastic story and the first half of FF12.

The plots are enjoyable and serviceable at best but they are hardly amazing pieces of work.

• Advertisement

Final Fantasy 7 bashing..... again

No just constructive criticism. I love the game. I a mess but a lovable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I love the game.

I knew it!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I love the game. .

Now admit you love legend of dragoon as well :pac:

Now admit you love legend of dragoon as well :pac:

That's a stretch too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

An important thing to keep in mind, and I know it's been said elsewhere is that they aren't going to destroy everyone's copy of the original when deploying the remake. I'm keeping a very open mind, just seeing if the graphical ability here matches how I saw this game as a 10yr old when it needed a lot more imagination.

If it expands on certain areas or tries to honor certain things, that'd be awesome. The kooky nature of FF7 is going to be super hard to replicate while also bringing in realistic graphics. but ultimately, if the game sucks, we still have the original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There were plenty of dud moments in FFVII, and certainly when I replayed it - years after that first time in the 90s - the sometimes glacial pacing or grind really stood out.

I think someone mentioned it here, but I share the worry that the tone of the game survives translation: Advent Children and the like added an awful amount of ... overly earnest, adolescent brooding guff to the story, when the original game had a heart of goofy camp. Cait Sith; The Bumblebee club & Don Corneo "Some Like It Hot" style sequence; the snowboarding; the slap fight on the barrel of Junon Cannon; and so on.

The steampunk world was quite bold & colourful, with Cloud's miserable brooding called out by other characters - whereas subsequent media instead focused on it. The recent trailer, while only a snippet, does make me a fret that in translating aesthetics to be more 'real', the game loses the silly fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah I was a big ff7 fanboy on release but in retrospect the stories of all the games are just anime tropes. The best I'll say about the stories is that they are well paced for the most part so keep the player moving through them and they can be fun in that regard. However the mechanics are far more important I've found. The only real exception is FF Tactics which has a fantastic story and the first half of FF12.

The plots are enjoyable and serviceable at best but they are hardly amazing pieces of work.

I've been away from boards for well over a year nearly...popping in occasionally.
    Seen this thread...thought...oh...this might be interesting.

But then remembered....Retro...yeah...he loves to sh1t on FF and big up the Legend of Dragoon series.
    Go to the last page...sure enough....he's at it again. Can't let Final Fantasy fans enjoy their time in the sun.

Latest rumour has it a playable demo will drop after E3!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The trailer looked good. As others have said, can't wait to see what Tifa looks like. ;)

Final Fantasy VII was the game that made me want a Playstation. Soon as I saw the trailer as a kid I knew I had to play the game. Was a game that a few of my classmates had as well. Not an exaggeration to say it's a big part of my childhood, so I'll likely have to play this for the nostalgia factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Final Fantasy VII was the game that made me want a Playstation. Soon as I saw the trailer as a kid I knew I had to play the game. Was a game that a few of my classmates had as well. Not an exaggeration to say it's a big part of my childhood, so I'll likely have to play this for the nostalgia factor.

hah, it takes me back, i got the playstation that christmas as i wanted to play Resident evil, a class mate told me about and convinced me to get FFVII. Which i did and i spent the next half a year obsessing about it and uncovering every little secret.. Good times! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

This trailer?

Blew my mind!

Then i got a PSone with FF7 and Time Crisis(With Gun) for christmas. Remember playing Time Crisis all day then settled down for the night with FF7. Was spamming all the buttons on the pad wondering why my character wasn't attack as my ATB gauge was building up. Ahhhh those where the days

Hipsters love to hate on FF7

It's one of the best games ever made
    And one of the best RPGS of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

For anyone who bought it on the Nintendo Switch also, they fixed the looping world audio bug.
    Still not fixed it on FFIX though.

Was spamming all the buttons on the pad wondering why my character wasn't attack as my ATB gauge was building up. Ahhhh those where the days

I remember being stuck in the shinra building's elevator boss because at 10 I didn't understand the materia system at all :D Ended up paying for 25 grenades in wall market to kill him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SeantheMan wrote: »
    For anyone who bought it on the Nintendo Switch also, they fixed the looping world audio bug.
    Still not fixed it on FFIX though.

Anyone looking to play IX legit should just get it on PC & install Moguri mod.

I think we all didn't know what a RPG was. I had experience with Shining Force 2 but it still baffled me and on consoles the only other games close where Phantasy Star 1-4 in Europe which very few people played.

I remember I beat FF7 for the first time without knowing I could equip accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

heh i learned the importance of using multiple saves with this game, i was only using one on my first play through and i got to the temple of the ancients and done a save before demons gate boss, i was pretty under leveled for him to say the least, there was no random battles from the last save point up until the boss so i couldnt grind. He just kept one shoting my party members, impossible to get passed. :(

I had to restart the game entirely, i remember being fairly mad about that, but it wasn't so bad as i was more familiar with the combat and items and had learned the importance of exploration, but still, thats a hell of a long back track :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I do remember fighting the Ruby Weapon in the Desert for hours, down to Tifa for most of the battle. Of all the times I played the game since I've never wanted to do that again.

Also thinking today of how blown away I was by the intro when summoning monsters. That didn't last long.

Advertisement