Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All parts at once or break them up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Or do palms-facing lat pulldowns instead. Similar movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thanks.

To be clear. Is a chin-up defined as going the whole way down (long arm chin up I suppose) or half way down?

Best bang for your buck is near full stretch, activation of back and biceps,but that can be a big struggle, tbh I would use bands and try for full range rather than pump out half reps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Sorry, it was all a bit over the place and not hugely helpful to you as it was

Hanley's template was here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92687179

See worth reading through but this is the structure:

A) Main Lift
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12

So on a squat day, that could be:

A) Squat
    B) RDL
    C) Lunges
    D) Hamstring Curls
    E) Leg extensions

RDL is also an option as a B/C on deadlift day or deadlift variation as I referred to them earlier.

So you could do everything on the one day or mix it up, like I gave an example of earlier so legs wouldn't be just the one day.

But with something like that, to be honest, the volume is a lot so frequency may be less of an issue and I possibly overcomplicated it.

Just for completeness sake, DUP is daily insulating periodosation. So if you squatted each of the 3 days just doing full body workout each day you trained, Day 1 might be 4-5 sets of 3-5 reps at a heavier weight/higher % of tour max. Day 2 might be 4-5 sets of 10-12 at a lower weight and dat 3 might be 4-5 sets of 8 reps. So you're changing the volume intensity across the week but across a cycle of 4-6 weeks the overall trend is increasing

Anyone know if there is a handy iPhone app to record things week by week?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Try Fitnotes. Haven't used it but it's supposed to be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Try Fitnotes. Haven't used it but it's supposed to be good

Use fitnotes.. It's excellent

• Advertisement

Is a lunge done like this:

https://youtu.be/QOVaHwm-Q6U (on the spot setup)

Or this:

https://youtu.be/nlots37xVL8 (return to start position each time)

Neither matters. You can also do the same movement alternating legs along a track if you so wish.

It's the actual movement that matters, not whether you do it on the spot, returning to the starting position or continuing on up a track.

Is it ok to do the chest routine 24 hours after the squat routine.

I normally have 48 hours between going to gym. But with schedule this week, need to change.

Is it ok to do the chest routine 24 hours after the squat routine.

I normally have 48 hours between going to gym. But with schedule this week, need to change.

Won't be any issue. You won't be stressing the same muscles so fatigue shouldn't be an issue.

Me again.

Q for ye. So I’m doing this 6 week programme and lets say my 1rm for bench is 100 kg.

Final lift is 95kg x 2+.......so never getting to actually lift 100kg.
    At the end of this cycle, will my 1rm still essentially be 100kg, or is the 6 week cycle supposed to improve this 1rm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you manage 4 reps at 95%. Your 1RM is probably 105kg or more.

It's common to follow a strength program with a 1RM test. Very few programs go above 100% during the actually program. (Except for programs that include heavy singles towards the end).

Mellor wrote: »
    If you manage 4 reps at 95%. Your 1RM is probably 105kg or more.

It's common to follow a strength program with a 1RM test. Very few programs go above 100% during the actually program. (Except for programs that include heavy singles towards the end).

Thanks. I suppose I’m asking if doing this program will
    Indeed improve one’s 1rm. And therefor the next time you do it, your 1rm should be higher etc.

Thanks. I suppose I’m asking if doing this program will
    Indeed improve one’s 1rm. And therefor the next time you do it, your 1rm should be higher etc.

Why wouldn't it improve tour 1RM? It's a well laid out programme with a good balance of volume and intensity and building towards strength gains as volume drops and weight increases.

You can test after the 6 weeks and see if you have new 1RMs to plug into the next 6 weeks.

But you don't need to do it to know you're stronger but it makes sense.

It's set up to improve your max. Say if you test and set new 1RMs, it might be that your 70% on day 1 of a new block is 5kg heavier than first time around. That's 5 sets of 8 reps with 5kg more. More work being done > getting stronger again

I like to do the foam roller.

When is best to do it - Before workout, after workout, non lift day, at home at your own leisure etc?

I like to do the foam roller.

When is best to do it - Before workout, after workout, non lift day, at home at your own leisure etc?

Whenever works for you.

Hi,

In regard to a SINGLE leg SINGLE arm dumbbell Romanian deadlift. Do you

1. balance on left leg and have weight in right Hand, like this;

https://youtu.be/4RFQImte7To

Or

2..balance on left leg and have weight in left hand.

https://youtu.be/rZQux9iDqjY

I find a better stretch with number 2......but just want to be sure it’s ok

Hi,

In regard to a SINGLE leg SINGLE arm dumbbell Romanian deadlift. Do you

1. balance on left leg and have weight in right Hand, like this;

https://youtu.be/4RFQImte7To

Or

2..balance on left leg and have weight in left hand.

https://youtu.be/rZQux9iDqjY

I find a better stretch with number 2......but just want to be sure it’s ok

Whichever allows you to do the exercise properly. It's the hip hinging that's relevant, not the hand you hold DB in.

For me, balance and technique was better with DB in opposite hand but it's doing the movement properly that matters.

Whichever allows you to do the exercise properly. It's the hip hinging that's relevant, not the hand you hold DB in.

For me, balance and technique was better with DB in opposite hand but it's doing the movement properly that matters.

Thanks......yet again.

Number 1 kinda feels like I’m twisting my spine across a bit, even though 95% of the YouTube say to do it this way.

whereas number 2 just feels better. No spine Twist

Thanks......yet again.

Number 1 kinda feels like I’m twisting my spine across a bit, even though 95% of the YouTube say to do it this way.

whereas number 2 just feels better. No spine Twist

Think of it in the context of the movement, ie hinging at the hips, keeping the hips level etc.

I know one when I tried with same hand, same leg that I felt the opposite hip came up a bit higher which meant I wasn't hitting the muscles I was supposed to cos the mechanics of the movement were off.

Neither way is the wrong or the right way to execute the movement. Whichever allows you to execute the movement properly is the one you do.

Which of these would be less taxing on the lower back:

The single leg single arm dumbbell Romanian deadlift

Or

Double leg double arm dumbbell Romanian deadlift

• Advertisement

Which of these would be less taxing on the lower back:

The single leg single arm dumbbell Romanian deadlift

Or

Double leg double arm dumbbell Romanian deadlift

Neither should be a problem if you execute them properly.

But you'll be using a heavier load with the latter so muscles worked harder

Neither should be a problem if you execute them properly.

But you'll be using a heavier load with the latter so muscles worked harder

Thanks. I presume the single leg is the more difficult if the 2. Extra balance etc.

Thanks. I presume the single leg is the more difficult if the 2. Extra balance etc.

The balance/stability element is more difficult but you'll have a heavier load on the muscles with 'standard' RDL with DB in each hand.

Single leg work is important but it's not an either/or decision in the bigger picture.

The exercises you've chosen are for a 6-week block. You can change them the next time around and build up a picture over time of what works for you

I know the ‘bench press’ is one of the big 3 lifts in these routines.....which to most probably means bench pressing with a barbell.

Is bench pressing with dumbbells an ok substitute?

I know the ‘bench press’ is one of the big 3 lifts in these routines.....which to most probably means bench pressing with a barbell.

Is bench pressing with dumbbells an ok substitute?

Dumbells are fine as long as the intensity is the same. If your benching 80kg with you won't get the same effect from 20kg dumbells. But 35kg+ is ag good as imo.

As a rough guide you'll knock 15% the total going to DBs

Mellor wrote: »
    Dumbells are fine as long as the intensity is the same. If your benching 80kg with you won't get the same effect from 20kg dumbells. But 35kg+ is ag good as imo.

As a rough guide you'll knock 15% the total going to DBs

Thanks. Don’t really get the last line. Do you mean if your 1rm is 100 kg on a barbell bench, You take 15% off, this equals 85kg, which means your 1rm with dumbbells is equal to 42.5kg in each arm?

Thanks. Don’t really get the last line. Do you mean if your 1rm is 100 kg on a barbell bench, You take 15% off, this equals 85kg, which means your 1rm with dumbbells is equal to 42.5kg in each arm?
    Your 1RM is the Max you have lifted. I wouldn't recommend testing your 1RM with dumbells.

But that's about the ratio for 5rm and above. If your 5RM is 90kg. You won't get 45kg DBs for 5 reps. Probably 38s

Thanks.

In regard to barbell bench press. I know you have to squeeze your shoulders back and down and not flair out arms too much

In regard to holding the bar, there are so many different videos, it’s confusing

- some say squeeze the bar, bit vague
    - some say break the bar
    - some say pull the bar apart
    - some say break the bar in half towards your head
    - some say break the bar in half away from your head
    - some say break the bar in half towards your feet
    - some say spread the bar

Etc etc

It’s kinda confusing.

Any tips?

This one seems ok I think

https://youtu.be/mCJ_Mcw5EF0

They're just different cues that work for engaging the upper back and lat muscles.

Imagine you have the bar in your hands now and try to pull it apart. Do you notice what happens with your scaps/shoulder blades...?

'Squeeze the bar' isn't vague. It's exactly what it says.

• Advertisement

- some say squeeze the bar, bit vague
    - some say break the bar
    - some say pull the bar apart
    - some say break the bar in half towards your head
    - some say break the bar in half away from your head
    - some say break the bar in half towards your feet
    - some say spread the bar

They all mean the same thing.
    Spread, stretch, pull, break, bend.
    Away from the head, towards the feet. Tomayto tomato.

You aren't actually going to stretch or bend the bar. It's just a verbal cue to engage the correct muscles.

You are overthinking everything tbh. For now, just go train imo.

Advertisement