Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Diceicle wrote: »
    I'm starting to do some running. For scheduling reasons I sometimes run relatively late in the evening. I run for general fat loss.
    As it can be 9:30/10pm or so when I get back - should I replenish at that time of night? If so, banana or protein shake would be the best?
    Right now I don't have anything but some water to rehydrate.

Thanks.

I think you should have something to eat after exercise. What it is to eat should be a personal preference. If I were in your situation, I'd be happy with a slice of toast with peanut butter, but that's just me.

As you are running for fat loss, being in an overall calorie deficit would be the important bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I think you should have something to eat after exercise. What it is to eat should be a personal preference. If I were in your situation, I'd be happy with a slice of toast with peanut butter, but that's just me.

As you are running for fat loss, being in an overall calorie deficit would be the important bit.

Thanks. I suppose my core question or concern here is is having nothing detrimental or less-optimal than throwing a protein shake in to me at ~10pm when losing fat is the goal?
    When I do cardio in the a.m I'm as you would expect in a normal eating window so will have a banana followed by a shake with water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks. I suppose my core question or concern here is is having nothing detrimental or less-optimal than throwing a protein shake in to me at ~10pm when losing fat is the goal?
    When I do cardio in the a.m I'm as you would expect in a normal eating window so will have a banana followed by a shake with water.

It's far more important how much you eat over the day than when you eat it. As long as you're running a calories surplus eatinf after 10 is grand.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As long as you are managing tour calories, it doesn't matter (within reason) what you eat or when. You don't need to have anything after a run if you're not hungry. I wouldn't just have something for the sake of it because its after exercise anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    To get started with pull ups - you can do band assisted pull ups (which i personally dont like as they tend to help in the easier part of the movement rather than where people get stuck but they seem to work for a lot of people.) Do inverted rows too and lat pull downs just to generally strengthen the muscles needed. gradually reduce the tension on the band until you can do unassisted pull ups.

For overhead pressing, it seems like just more volume and prioritizing the movement is the key to progressing. Also brace your abs and squeeze your ass as hard as you can when pressing helps too

Just dipping in to say thanks for this advice. I'm smashing inverted rows at a low height no problem so I'll keep at that until I'm ready for pull ups. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Ah lads I was thinking of this thread this morning.

I finally managed to nail an overhead press with the Olympic bar for 8 reps. This will save me loads of time looking for the 12.5kg bar and putting weights on it ;)

What actually worked for me was a tip I saw online about really squeezing your buttocks when overhead pressing - I dont know why but it helped!

Onwards to 3 sets of 12 with the Olympic bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Brian? wrote: »
    It's far more important how much you eat over the day than when you eat it. As long as you're running a calories surplus eatinf after 10 is grand.

How would a calorie surplus help if their goal is fat loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Bob Harris wrote: »

Deficit he meant

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What are the benefits of doing deficits and their inverse say in my case with a hex bar? All things being equal would you adjust the weight depending? is the idea of raising the bar to do a higher lift to not overly stress the lower back?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Bob Harris wrote: »

It wouldn't. That was a typo

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

vargoo wrote: »
    Deficit he meant

I did.

they/them/theirs

silverharp wrote: »
    What are the benefits of doing deficits and their inverse say in my case with a hex bar? All things being equal would you adjust the weight depending? is the idea of raising the bar to do a higher lift to not overly stress the lower back?

Deficits help work the initial pull off the floor. Always adjust the weight depending...compared with deadlift off the floor, deficits are usually more difficult mechanically so weight will be lighter.

Block pulls have the bar a couple of inches off the ground and so take stress off lower back. Can be useful for getting in volume without putting a ton of stress on lower back.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Is rowing machine the closest you'll get to vascular endurance like running?

With proper form no impact on knees?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

That's a good question. I run, have owned a stationary bike and currently own a concept 2. it's very hard to replicate the aerobic workout you get from running I find. My problem with the bike is you have to cycle for ages to get any value, with the rower your hr is too low to get as good an aerobic workout, if you do a session that brings it up it's too hard to last long enough for it to be a really good aerobic session.

That's just my experience anyway, I still use both to cross train but if the legs are feeling good ill always prioritise going for a run and feel I get far more value from it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

vargoo wrote: »
    Is rowing machine the closest you'll get to vascular endurance like running?

With proper form no impact on knees?

I would have thought a spin bike would be a closer bet in that with rowing your legs and back fatigue a lot more which may limit the length of your session even when cardio-wise you could keep going. You don't have that issue with a bike as much really unless you are pushing a high gear

• Registered Users Posts: 39,097 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

IvoryTower wrote: »
    That's a good question. I run, have owned a stationary bike and currently own a concept 2. it's very hard to replicate the aerobic workout you get from running I find.
    It shouldn't be tbh.
    Runner covers a range of intensities from sprinting to marathons.
    So does the rower, and so does the bike.
    My problem with the bike is you have to cycle for ages to get any value, with the rower your hr is too low to get as good an aerobic workout, if you do a session that brings it up it's too hard to last long enough for it to be a really good aerobic session.
    Sounds like you are conditioned to use bike/rower a certain way.
    They don't have to be used for longs sessions. I refer the rower for short pieces over running.

If you bring your HR up too fast/too high you won't last as long. That applies to running just as much as rowing. Nobody can maintain their 1k pace for 5k.
    I would have thought a spin bike would be a closer bet in that with rowing your legs and back fatigue a lot more which may limit the length of your session even when cardio-wise you could keep going. You don't have that issue with a bike as much really unless you are pushing a high gear
    If your muscle and back fatigue, that is cardiovascular fatigue*. Your bodies energy systems don't change between equipment.

If you burn out faster on the rower, it's because you are going harder. Which isn't surprising, people have the tendency to instinctively row at a high tempo. It hard to force yourself to settle back into a low SPM that you can maintain for hours.

(*Assuming we are talking about a piece of more than a few minutes. Very short bursts are anaerobic, same as with running or the bike)

Yep I agree with all of it

I guess I mean for me, let's say you're a runner and you want to use the bike/rower on your off days for what we call our easy miles. Going for a run at conversational pace where your hr is in the aerobic zone. In my experience 30min easy run is about the equivalent of about 50min on the bike with only the last 20 in the aerobic zone and with rowing its a lot shorter, say 20min with 10 in the correct zone. So I'd have it run - bike - row in preference for my crosstraining.

Now assuming the person above doesn't run at all and wants to do all their training on either, then I would try both out a few times in the gym cause they're very different. If time is an issue id go with the rower.

Back to rowing for a runner

I remember I followed a rowing plan for a few weeks and one thing I noticed that was despite how hard it was my avg hr was always very low for the effort, felt like I wasn't getting enough of an aerobic workout for the time and effort put in. The sessions weren't giving me as much of an aerobic workout as just going out for an easy run. I guess this is down to it being more physically demanding for a runner so the body is tiring before you can get value from it aerobically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

If it's high intensity and getting your HR up then try jumping rope.
    You can get a decent rope for less than a tenner.
    20 minutes is all you need (3min x 5 with a minutes rest in between)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,097 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If your HR is too low for a given piece. Then your effort was too low.

A Max effort 500m will get close to Max HR. So obviousktnanything below that is achievable with the right effort

How would you advise finding a good PT in a particular area? There are some attached to the gym obviously, maybe they're good, maybe not

Reminds me of looking for a good solicitor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Here's a potentially silly question.

I rarely ever feel a "burn" in my chest/pecs, and rarely ever feel DOMS there afterwards, yet I often will for glutes, hamstrings, calves, triceps, abs - pretty much everything else.

It's definitely not for lack of trying or training intensity - is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

How would you advise finding a good PT in a particular area? There are some attached to the gym obviously, maybe they're good, maybe not

Reminds me of looking for a good solicitor!

Where are you based?

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Citywest area

Citywest area

I'll pm someone I went to before, he's on boards as well

I rarely ever feel a "burn" in my chest/pecs, and rarely ever feel DOMS there afterwards, yet I often will for glutes, hamstrings, calves, triceps, abs - pretty much everything else.

It's definitely not for lack of trying or training intensity - is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

Not necessarily. I rarely get it in my chest either. Maybe at the start of a block or high rep training. Doesn't mean they pecs aren't working.

Depends on the mechanics of your bench but lack of burn or pump doesn't necessarily mean you're doing something wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Whats a good way to take advantage of a hotel gym for 2 weeks? Mornings will be free so using the gym will be a good way to setup the day, might it be upper one day lower next , keep alternating but stay more in the middle of weight range? Or do what you would normally ideally do and just stick to 4ish times a week?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Depends whats in it.

I tend to just stick to my normal schedule if there is a gym in a hotel away but depending on whats in the gym I might do other things too.

Like the pool - I never have time at home but Id use it in a hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I agree with the response above from alf.
    I find with chest work my triceps go before my chest so my chest work is limited to how long my tri's can keep going.

can you feel your chest working when you work out?

If you can't feel the pecs working Id suggest trying an isolation exercise like fly machine before heavier chest work.

Once you feel them working then you should be grand.

paw patrol wrote: »
    I agree with the response above from alf.
    I find with chest work my triceps go before my chest so my chest work is limited to how long my tri's can keep going.

can you feel your chest working when you work out?

If you can't feel the pecs working Id suggest trying an isolation exercise like fly machine before heavier chest work.

Once you feel them working then you should be grand.

Also, the fact that the bar is moving up in the bench means the pecs are working :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Also, the fact that the bar is moving up in the bench means the pecs are working :)

I was benching 110 - 120kg before I "felt" my pecs working. I'm sure they were working...but I suspect for years it was mostly arms / shoulders.

Advertisement