Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

hi5 wrote: »
    Dev had a Dodge..

ply_dodge.jpg

And that reg would date the Dodge around '47, so there is no way he had a Bentley in '48 just a year after, especially given his de-motion at the time.

Is it possible the Bentley seller has his facts wrong or is he a good story teller.

It may still be true that 'Dublin City Council' as he put it, bought the car, but not for DeV..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Testacalda wrote: »
    And that reg would date the Dodge around '47, so there is no way he had a Bentley in '48 just a year after, especially given his de-motion at the time.

Is it possible the Bentley seller has his facts wrong or is he a good story teller.

It may still be true that 'Dublin City Council' as he put it, bought the car, but not for DeV..

and why would Dublin City Council be supplying an official car for Dev?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

KevRossi wrote: »
    Seems the SAAB seller was snowed in in Italy last week and had a few calls about the car. Now back in Ireland so will be interesting to see how long it hangs around.

6k is still alot giving that they are not that popular and parts can be scarce. I had a saab 900(88 i think) years ago and it was troublesome.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,898 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Come on, it's a bargain for any classic really in that condition. And the Saab is a more desirable €6k car than any classic on Irish plates that I've seen in this thread in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

unkel wrote: »
    Come on, it's a bargain for any classic really in that condition. And the Saab is a more desirable €6k car than any classic on Irish plates that I've seen in this thread in years.
    but why is it not being snapped up???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Maybe your average punter thinking "classic" just sees a Merc, MG, Porsche, Triumph etc.

A Saab is a lateral move. But anyone who appreciates older and rarer cars - and has witnessed the dross and bullsh*t you see on Donedeal - sees this as a very reasonable price for an unusally sorted vehicle.

Is value purely determined on what a tyre-kicker will pay? For a seller, I guess yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

I see that Saab parked up in a limick city car park on a regular basis and it truly is a lovely little thing, If it was a later T16 in Aero spec I'd be hammer at his door, 6k is about right for that car, Surprised it's still for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

balcan wrote: »
    If it was a later T16 in Aero spec I'd be hammer at his door, 6k is about right for that car, Surprised it's still for sale.

I very nearly bought one of those in 1991, when upgrading from my first car. Beautiful machine. I think I could have got it for not much more that £2000. But the annual insurance was going to be £1800!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

outfox wrote: »
    I very nearly bought one of those in 1991, when upgrading from my first car. Beautiful machine. I think I could have got it for not much more that £2000. But the annual insurance was going to be £1800!

When I lived in London in the early 90's a friend who wheeled and dealed cars had a FPT T16 Aero 2 door which was rare even then, I loved that car, He was willing to trade it for a motorbike I had, but the insurance was crippling, always promised myself a Saab T16 at some stage but nice one's are getting hard to find and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Suspension needs repair.

Usually complex and expensive, though if you know what you#re doing and if you have the tools it could be a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That car used to be parked in the driveway of a pretty impressive house in earls court until very recently. I might even have a picture of it.

A bit of TLC? :p

Wankel engine rebuilt from scratch more like...

galwaytt wrote: »
    Snap:
    http://www.classiccarworkshop.ie/2002.html

https://www.irishvintagescene.ie/retro-classics/

He's just had one featured in the UK press too: there are no cheap 2002Tii anymore. ..

Is he on here does anyone know?
    hoping to do a similar job on my own 2002 next year.
    Just need to buy a house with a bigger garage :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Seen a 95 C !80 this morning.One owner, 57k miles. Nct, great looking order. Only 900e

I was surely tempted. What should I be looking at in this model, and this year.

I,m not sure that my return trip from the shops, with a great merc in tow, would elicit the right response from er indoors:eek:

But I was tempted to risk it:D

And i,m sure I could take her in the second round anyway:P

I like them, but I would go for a C280 auto myself. Great sleeper. It will be a long time before they are worth considerably more than a few hundred quid. Even the early W201 190E aren't worth all that much and there are still plenty of them around. I don't think the W202 has anywhere near the same build quality as the W201 though. And they rust even more.

That is an unfortunate reg plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I thought the title of this thread was 'This weeks Classic IRISH bargains that I'm not buying'
    Getting a little frustrating to see that every bargain is only available via the UK ?
    Should the thread title be changed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I'd be up for a title change or a separate new thread, never encounter any classic Irish bargains myself, almost always more expensive that UK ones and poorer condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

swarlb wrote: »
    I thought the title of this thread was 'This weeks Classic IRISH bargains that I'm not buying'
    Getting a little frustrating to see that every bargain is only available via the UK ?

My original thread was called this until it reached 10,000 posts and a mod renamed the new one to "irish"

I wouldn't mind but the classic market is always international, and especially now with Brexit, the ar5e is falling out of uk stuff, but only starting, so things are going to get interesting.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

swarlb wrote: »

Good point, but no the title should stay the same. There is another thread...can't remember exactly when it was split, but it must have been split for a reason.

Folks, if there is something in the wrong place, report it and a mod will shift it.

I'll try a bit of a tidy up in the morning, but it won't be perfect.

Where did the Chrysler go, are American cars not allowed.
    I never knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Even the Bargains part is no longer applying. Seen cars in here for 10k plus which in my opinion is a little bit of a stretch. Perhaps at that price its a bargain for said car...

You're right. I wouldn't class 10k cars or possibly even 5k cars as bargains but it's all relative. Someone with deeper pockets would have a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

My 2p worth:

UK reg cars in Britain shouldnt be included in the thread.
    Irish registered cars for sale in UK should be included in thread.
    The asking price of the car shouldnt exclude it from the thread even if it doesnt appear to be a "bargain"
    Cars for sale in Northern Ireland are an issue for debate as to whether they should be included but I see them as more accessible to the Southern buyer and personally would like to see them included. Northern Irish classic car owners take a healthy interest in the scene down here too.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You're right. I wouldn't class 10k cars or possibly even 5k cars as bargains but it's all relative. Someone with deeper pockets would have a different opinion.
    Would rather look at a 10k car that was a bargain for someone with that budget than a 3k 1980's car that's never seen the inside of an NCT centre!

I'd think of this thread as "Older Irish Cars For Sale That Might Be Worth a Look (Or Not Feel Free to Keep Scrolling)".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

How about: 'Today I Spotted A Classic Car For Sale' and leave it at that.

Advertisement