Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Impact of COVID-19 on motor industry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think people underestimate how feckless people can be around car purchases. Tons of people are willing to sign into finance arrangements without really thinking about how they can afford them. Being in shaky employment doesn’t seem to bother them either.

To be fair from my own experience in the last few weeks, a high percentage of the second hands sold were with cash. (When I say cash I mean non finance). Those in “shaky” employment don’t usually get finance to be honest. And in these current times who’s employment isn’t shaky?

The few new I’ve sold since we re opened were more mixed again, mainly PCPs and a couple of company purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

L-M wrote: »
    I think that’s your second/third time posting that.

Maybe go in again tomorrow to make sure they’re still not busy

I was only in the once. Apologies if i posted it previously but my broadband here was off and on the last few days and posts were not going up for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

To be fair from my own experience in the last few weeks, a high percentage of the second hands sold were with cash. (When I say cash I mean non finance). Those in “shaky” employment don’t usually get finance to be honest. And in these current times who’s employment isn’t shaky?

The few new I’ve sold since we re opened were more mixed again, mainly PCPs and a couple of company purchases.

Any idea on how Dealer Finance is going? As in VW Finance, Ford Finance etc.? Has it become harder to get it??? The mortgage approval figures for April show a drop of 40%. I know that this is different from vehicle purchasing, but it shows a hardening of the banks re credit.

........And in these current times who’s employment isn’t shaky?

Lots of the folk not on covid19 payments, public servants, pharmaceutical workers, food manufacturing, food retail etc etc

jmreire wrote: »
    Any idea on how Dealer Finance is going? As in VW Finance, Ford Finance etc.? Has it become harder to get it??? The mortgage approval figures for April show a drop of 40%. I know that this is different from vehicle purchasing, but it shows a hardening of the banks re credit.

Yeah you’re definitely right that it’s different from vehicle purchasing. As I’ve said many times most people on PCP would be in stable employment so once they still have their jobs and their credit rating is good they’ll still get the finance, there’ll be no reason not to.

That said this might not rear its ugly head for 6 months so who knows what January will bring. I’m the enteral optimist anyway!

Augeo wrote: »
    Lots of the folk not on covid19 payments, public servants, pharmaceutical workers, food manufacturing, food retail etc etc

Food manufacturing is where most of the large of the clusters have been?

Food retail is way down, when you see the likes of Plassey Foods opening their doors to the public trying to flog bulk buy donuts to the public you can see something is wrong. Not forgetting we were coming into what was probably going to be a massive summer and they would of have over produced perishable stock and food to cater for it and that’s all going to waste.

There’s huge employment in the aviation industry here not just to do with Airline staff but all the air craft leasing and finance etc.

The bookies is a recession proof gig and yet suddenly they had nothing to bet on.

There is so so so many sectors that would have been seen as untouchable rain hail or snow and suddenly all brought to their knees. When I said who’s employment isn’t “shaky” I meant all those people that thought they had secure jobs for life and suddenly that’s changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

macnug wrote: »
    Anybody in the trade notice a dip in sales yet or is demand still strong? In the market for a 2-3 year old car but finding it difficult to find what I want locally and when I do prices are a lot dearer than earlier in the year.

Demand is strong. We've been chasing a particular car for several weeks and found ourselves beaten to the punch more than once. I was just about to trawl the UK when one popped up here so have bought that- collecting it Saturday.

Ditto for, would you believe, ....a Vespa.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Food manufacturing is where most of the large of the clusters have been?

Food retail is way down, when you see the likes of Plassey Foods opening their doors to the public trying to flog bulk buy donuts to the public you can see something is wrong. Not forgetting we were coming into what was probably going to be a massive summer and they would of have over produced perishable stock and food to cater for it and that’s all going to waste.

There’s huge employment in the aviation industry here not just to do with Airline staff but all the air craft leasing and finance etc.

The bookies is a recession proof gig and yet suddenly they had nothing to bet on.

There is so so so many sectors that would have been seen as untouchable rain hail or snow and suddenly all brought to their knees. When I said who’s employment isn’t “shaky” I meant all those people that thought they had secure jobs for life and suddenly that’s changed.

Supervalue is up 30% on last year 12 weeks to may. Lots of food retail is thriving..... There's more to food manufacturing then meet factories.

I didn't mention bookies or aviation BTW & I specifically said folk not on covid19 payments.

' When I said who’s employment isn’t “shaky” I meant all those people that thought they had secure jobs for life and suddenly that’s changed ' .... Oh right, I thought you meant the couple of million that I was referring to that you seen oblivious to.

Im not oblivious to anything, I’m sure SuperValu is up 30 percent but there’s another industry that’s down 30 percent. People aren’t suddenly just eating more, they’re just eating at home.

Most delis are only open for a couple of hours each day, these would be hugely profitable aspects of the business. I’m not sure how in-depth your knowledge of the grocery sector is but the margins are small. All these 24 pack cans of Coke for a 10er are loss leaders to get people in the door. Petrol sales were down 70-80 percent during the lockdown.

What I’m trying to say is just because Supervalus sales are up 30 percent by no means means that their profits are up 30 percent.

Edit: Actually a prime example of this is Tayto. I’m not sure if you saw the clear plastic bags with 5 packs of Taytos that were in Aldi of late. These were all the single packets (Hugely profitable) that had to be taken back and repackaged as a 5 pack to try sell them. Going from getting 5 euro gross for 5 pack to €1.99

• Advertisement

What I'm trying to say is there are loads of folk not in shake employment.... You don't agree.... Fair enough.

I mentioned public sector, pharma, food manufacturing & food retail iirc.... & said its of folk not on covid19 payments.

It's strange..... A week or so ago you reckoned car sales would be largely unaffected.

I'd think my grocery sector knowledge is not bad at all BTW.

Edit: Actually a prime example of this is Tayto. I’m not sure if you saw the clear plastic bags with 5 packs of Taytos that were in Aldi of late. These were all the single packets (Hugely profitable) that had to be taken back and repackaged as a 5 pack to try sell them. Going from getting 5 euro gross for 5 pack to €1.99

Is there no chance these were there due to huge demand of multibags?
    I'm not sure how indepth your retail knowledge is.

No, it’s not.

If they wanted more for multi packs they would produce more. Just think of Christmas time where they have boxes of taytos, they’ve huge scope to over produce when they need to.

I should note I worked in the industry for 3 years and I’ve still good friends in it. I meet a lot of people on a daily basis, get lots of feed back from loads of industries.

No, it’s not.

If they wanted more for multi packs they would produce more. Just think of Christmas time where they have boxes of taytos, they’ve huge scope to over produce when they need to.

How do you know?
    They plan for Christmas, no one planned for covid19.

You worked in the crisp industry? Fair play.... Doing what may I ask?

How do you know?
    They plan for Christmas, no one planned for covid19.

The same way drinks companies can’t plan for hot weather, but when they need to throw extra coal on the fire they can, and have to.

All of the "Super's" sales are up, Lidl. Aldi, Tesco's, Dunne's etc. because all the smaller outlets are closed... so food and drink purchases are funneled directly to them. I know an Aldi logistics manager, and he says that they have never been busier,,,one of the big problems that they have ( aside from their normal supply chain's being disrupted ) is transportation from their main warehousing hubs to the city / town stores. They say that its a bad wind that does not blow some one good....Whatever else happens,,,,food is always essential.

• Advertisement

The same way drinks companies can’t plan for hot weather, but when they need to throw extra coal on the fire they can, and have to.

Ah stop...... The demand during lock down has been unprecedented.... Shelves were empty across lots of products.

Drinks & ice cream companies most certainly plan for hot weather.

And it's difficult to scale up production with labour shortages as folk on 350/week are slow to come off it.

Yeah but my point is while their sales are up, which there’s no denying it, it’s the profitable (For the suppliers) convenience stores that are closed.

It’s hardly a Algebra equation to work out if Coca Cola sell a 2 litre bottle for 2 for €4 euro gross... Verus a 500 ml bottle at what? €1.50? Probably more.

So tayto, coca cola & / or aldi staff are now in shakey employment?
    Is that the result of the non algebraic problem?

The folk in any closed stores are on covid19 payments, I mentioned that in my original reply which you seem to have taken issue with but it's now less of a shakey employment issue and more gross margin you seem focussed on.

So tayto, coca cola & / or aldi staff are now in shakey employment?
    Is that the result of the non algebraic problem?

The folk in any closed stores are on covid19 payments, I mentioned that in my original reply which you seem to have taken issue with but it's now less of a shakey employment issue and more gross margin you seem focussed on.

You said lots of people NOT on Covid payment?

And I was just merely pointing out that there are people NOT on Covid payment that in 3/4/5 months that won’t have jobs, or will certainly be in a different financial position.

You said lots of people NOT on Covid payment?

And I was just merely pointing out that there are people NOT on Covid payment that in 3/4/5 months that won’t have jobs, or will certainly be in a different financial position.

This is what I said...

• Advertisement

Yes, that says lots of people not on the Covid payment.

And I’m saying that just because they’re not on it now, doesn’t mean they won’t be effected going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Water2626262

jmreire wrote: »

Finance houses are businesses just like any other and are desperate to write business. The only change is that people working in tourism, salons, pubs etc won’t be looked at because of the uncertainty. That being said I heard that bluestone, generally a sub prime lender, is no longer writing new business.

The finance industry is very competitive and dealers can be very fickle about who they refer the business to. Generally driven by commissions etc. This is where poor applicants can slip through the cracks. A dealer could put fierce pressure on a finance house to approve a deal to someone who is a “family friend” and “undoubted”. Another common tactic is to say they have approvals with x amount of other finance houses. The dealer could threaten to pull all finance referrals if they don’t write the deal. At the end of the day, dealer doesn’t give a flying feck about the credit worthiness of a customer as long as they shift the metal off the forecourt.

Finance houses are businesses just like any other and are desperate to write business. The only change is that people working in tourism, salons, pubs etc won’t be looked at because of the uncertainty. That being said I heard that bluestone, generally a sub prime lender, is no longer writing new business.

The finance industry is very competitive and dealers can be very fickle about who they refer the business to. Generally driven by commissions etc. This is where poor applicants can slip through the cracks. A dealer could put fierce pressure on a finance house to approve a deal to someone who is a “family friend” and “undoubted”. Another common tactic is to say they have approvals with x amount of other finance houses. The dealer could threaten to pull all finance referrals if they don’t write the deal. At the end of the day, dealer doesn’t give a flying feck about the credit worthiness of a customer as long as they shift the metal off the forecourt.

Yes, there is always that element in it, and in less troubled time's it would work better, with a smaller % defaulting on the loan. But I don't think that it will work as well under the present circumstances. And if it does, and even if only half of the predicted job losses happen, it will mean big losses to any finance house carrying these loans and they are defaulted on,,,and a lot of vehicles will be thrown back on the market, But I guess, we will have to wait and see how it plays out.

Yes, that says lots of people not on the Covid payment.

And I’m saying that just because they’re not on it now, doesn’t mean they won’t be effected going forward.

And I said lots, not all.

The second half of your post is complete and utter lies and “pub talk”. Where is gods name did you even come up with that?

The second half of your post is complete and utter lies and “pub talk”. Where is gods name did you even come up with that?

So finance isn’t competitive? Nobody puts pressure on third parties to deliver? Dealers aren’t under enormous pressure to hit targets? Salesman don’t have bonuses to hit?

So finance isn’t competitive? Nobody puts pressure on third parties to deliver? Dealers aren’t under enormous pressure to hit targets? Salesman don’t have bonuses to hit?

Finance is done on a capicty to repay or credit history. If you had bad credit history or don’t have the capacity to repay a loan you will not get credit it doesn’t matter if you’re Michael D Higgins.

The fact that you’re saying a garage will threaten a lender for not lending to someone they don’t want to? Do you actually think that’s real? This isn’t the 1980s although I’m sure your posting off a computer/phone and didn’t send your nonsensical post to boards via stamp and envelope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,216 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well things must be going ok because the chap i ordered a new car from before the lockdown that he needed to get the EV vrt rebate / SEAI grant sorted on still hasnt so much as called me.

Finance is done on a capicty to repay or credit history. If you had bad credit history or don’t have the capacity to repay a loan you will not get credit it doesn’t matter if you’re Michael D Higgins.

The fact that you’re saying a garage will threaten a lender for not lending to someone they don’t want to? Do you actually think that’s real? This isn’t the 1980s although I’m sure your posting off a computer/phone and didn’t send your nonsensical post to boards via stamp and envelope.

Wow.

Yeah it’s not as black and white as you make out. If they operated they way you think they do then they’d never have arrears. Car finance for civil servants and nobody else. Somebody might be declined because X but a customer might come back and say but what about Y and Z?

A finance house that has a foothold in a garage can write millions of new business each year. You don’t think the dealer has any influence in that relationship? He doesn’t have multiple different reps banging on the door looking to do business with him? Perhaps you are only familiar with the captive finance model. Deal with any other finance house and the distributor will come knocking.

We deal with every finance house and I can assure you it’s in absolutely no way as described.

Some banks will lend better to their own customers but the customer pays the higher price. Someone who tries to go with a Manfacturer back at 3.9 percent APR (a subsidised rate) and won’t get approval might get approved with their own current account bank at maybe 8 or 9 percent.

The likes of Bluestone will approve someone who has a strong payment capacity but a poor credit rating but they need a 25% deposit.

So no, the days of a phone call threatening a rep are long gone. We need them more than they need us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 not2be

What are peoples thoughts on this.....

called a dealer today (small independent) to see if i could arrange to go view a car.

The guy asked some normal qualifying questions..... whats my time line in terms of getting a car, have i considered how i was going to fund it and so forth. Then he said you can come and inspect the car and do any checks you want.... he said the car is driving fine however we would have to provisionally agree on the purchase price before i could drive it? If i am unhappy with how the car drives obviously i wouldn't have to go ahead with it...

He said due to Covid 19 he would be unable to offer the car for test drive to anyone else to drive for 2 or 3 days after i drove it so this is now his procedure...

Is this now normal practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,970 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

not2be wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on this.....

called a dealer today (small independent) to see if i could arrange to go view a car.

The guy asked some normal qualifying questions..... whats my time line in terms of getting a car, have i considered how i was going to fund it and so forth. Then he said you can come and inspect the car and do any checks you want.... he said the car is driving fine however we would have to provisionally agree on the purchase price before i could drive it? If i am unhappy with how the car drives obviously i wouldn't have to go ahead with it...

He said due to Covid 19 he would be unable to offer the car for test drive to anyone else to drive for 2 or 3 days after i drove it so this is now his procedure...

Is this now normal practice?

Agree a price, drive the car, pick a.minir flaw and offer him 2k less. He is being an idiot. He is trying to get you to commit to s price before you virtually see the car.

Slava Ukrainii

Agree a price, drive the car, pick a.minir flaw and offer him 2k less. He is being an idiot. He is trying to get you to commit to s price before you virtually see the car.

OP this above post is exactly why he’s doing what he’s doing.

I’ve had a number of people this week travel from far, test drive and then offer me 2/3/4 k less than the asking price, which isn’t going to happen.

All he’s trying to do is stop you wasting your own and his time, if you’re going to be way out on the price after it.

Might not be the way you want to do business but at the end of the day it’s his business and he’s trying to look after the safety of himself and his staff, so if it doesn’t suit you just move on to the next garage where they might not care as much.

OP this above post is exactly why he’s doing what he’s doing.

I’ve had a number of people this week travel from far, test drive and then offer me 2/3/4 k less than the asking price, which isn’t going to happen.

All he’s trying to do is stop you wasting your own and his time, if you’re going to be way out on the price after it.

Might not be the way you want to do business but at the end of the day it’s his business and he’s trying to look after the safety of himself and his staff, so if it doesn’t suit you just move on to the next garage where they might not care as much.

Yes but expecting customers to commit to a price before even driving a car is ridiculous. Yes business's are under pressure. A car purchase is a serious purchases for any person and is doubly so at present. I find the car industry is one where there is serious arrogance at times. As well it not like cars will walk out the door over the next 3-6 months.

Of all sectors the car sector may well suffer harder over the next 6-12 months. There will be a large stock of second hand cars that will have taken a normal 3 month devaluation and some within the industry will try to hold there stock value. If they do this could be similar to 2008/2009

Slava Ukrainii

The point your missing is the arrogance is coming from the customer, not the dealer. We’re all obviously here to sell cars but if someone is expecting 2/3 grand off a used cars it’s not going to happen, unless the car is over priced in the first place.

I’ve said it many times already that garages all over the country and very very busy, how long it will last who knows.

My point is, and I think you may have missed it or I didn’t convey it properly, is that in the case the garage is just trying to make sure the customer isn’t wasting both their times before coming in.

Example. Car is advertised for 20k. Dealer will take 19k. Customer is going there with a budget of 17k, deal not going to happen. No point in either party wasting time. Simple

Car is advertised for 20k dealer wants 20k for it. Customer might offer 19k, garage might say call down and see it and if it’s very clean customer might offer 19500 and a deal could be done. No ones time wasted and everyone is happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Irishweather2

Example. Car is advertised for 20k. Dealer will take 19k. Customer is going there with a budget of 17k, deal not going to happen. No point in either party wasting time. Simple

Car is advertised for 20k dealer wants 20k for it. Customer might offer 19k, garage might say call down and see it and if it’s very clean customer might offer 19500 and a deal could be done. No ones time wasted and everyone is happy.

Out of curiosity, let's say a VW Golf is advertised for
    example 20K at a VW garage, how much leeway does the dealer have in terms of lowering the price upon negotiations? Is it a case of ~€500 - €1000 or am I asking a 'how long is a piece of string' question?

Out of curiosity, let's say a VW Golf is advertised for
    example 20K at a VW garage, how much leeway does the dealer have in terms of lowering the price upon negotiations? Is it a case of ~€500 - €1000 or am I asking a 'how long is a piece of string' question?

How long is a piece of string really.

Say for example the car you want is purple and their car is purple. But there’s 20 blue ones advertised for 18k when then you’ve reason to bargain and they’ve reason to sell.

If their car at 20k and it’s the cheapest around well they might not budge at all

The point your missing is the arrogance is coming from the customer, not the dealer. We’re all obviously here to sell cars but if someone is expecting 2/3 grand off a used cars it’s not going to happen, unless the car is over priced in the first place.

I’ve said it many times already that garages all over the country and very very busy, how long it will last who knows.

My point is, and I think you may have missed it or I didn’t convey it properly, is that in the case the garage is just trying to make sure the customer isn’t wasting both their times before coming in.

At present if car dealerships are busy then the whip hand is with them. However when I usually go buying a car (I only trade every 4-5 years) I want to test drive maybe 3-4 different model cars in the range I am buying in. This would mean at present I be not a welcome customer.

However a rule like that needs to be explained clearly to customers and sometimes if dealerships are busy some sales people can come accross wrong.

Slava Ukrainii

At present if car dealerships are busy then the whip hand is with them. However when I usually go buying a car (I only trade every 4-5 years) I want to test drive maybe 3-4 different model cars in the range I am buying in. This would mean at present I be not a welcome customer.

However a rule like that needs to be explained clearly to customers and sometimes if dealerships are busy some sales people can come accross wrong.

Again, you’re missing the point. You are completely welcome, and drive all you want as per normal. But what they’re trying to avoid is you driving a 20k car with a budget of 15. That’s all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

A friend of mine went to see a car last week at a small Indy dealer and he said you can test drive car only if you commit to buy. My friend said he is genuinely interested iand after couple of minutes chat the dealer handed over keys.

My friend eventually bought that car and when I saw it next day I spotted 2 issues- virtual cockpit screen needs replacement and door makes noise when closing/opening. Now dealer says use car for two weeks and then we will see what can be done.

I know dealer does not want wasters but what if I did not like something after test drive? He is not doing a favour by selling car and every time I visit some dealership I feel this.

I also heard some dealers asking for 100 bucks for test drive. Ridiculous..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In my past experience, there would appear to be a good chunk of money built into asking prices to help trade in value.
    Buying straight, if looking at something around 30k, id be expecting to be 2k under asking without much haggling.
    Are we saying this is not how things are now?

SummerK wrote: »
    A friend of mine went to see a car last week at a small Indy dealer and he said you can test drive car only if you commit to buy. My friend said he is genuinely interested iand after couple of minutes chat the dealer handed over keys.

My friend eventually bought that car and when I saw it next day I spotted 2 issues- virtual cockpit screen needs replacement and door makes noise when closing/opening. Now dealer says use car for two weeks and then we will see what can be done.

I know dealer does not want wasters but what if I did not like something after test drive? He is not doing a favour by selling car and every time I visit some dealership I feel this.

If the end of your post is happening in some garages they won’t be very busy garages!!

@mick that’s not the case any more, it’s gone very much like the UK. The price is the price is most cases.

New cars obviously there’s still plenty of wiggle room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,216 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If the end of your post is happening in some garages they won’t be very busy garages!!

@mick that’s not the case any more, it’s gone very much like the UK. The price is the price is most cases.

New cars obviously there’s still plenty of wiggle room.

What kind of wiggle room is there on new cars ? For something 60/70k plus 5 percent 10 percent ?

Cyrus wrote: »
    What kind of wiggle room is there on new cars ? For something 60/70k plus 5 percent 10 percent ?

Honestly every manufacturer has different offers and margins.

You could get 3k off, you could get 10k off, it really depends.

Usually less of a discount for a build to order you could get big money of a car that’s been in stock new for 6 months etc

Cyrus wrote: »
    well things must be going ok because the chap i ordered a new car from before the lockdown that he needed to get the EV vrt rebate / SEAI grant sorted on still hasnt so much as called me.

There's was a 10 day backlog with the grants etc so that might be a contributory factor.
    Fingers crossed

• Advertisement

not2be wrote: »
    ......Then he said you can come and inspect the car and do any checks you want.... he said the car is driving fine however we would have to provisionally agree on the purchase price before i could drive it? If i am unhappy with how the car drives obviously i wouldn't have to go ahead with it...

Seems like how things are for serious buyers always?
    My last two experiences with buying...... My dad was buying off a main dealer, 4 year old car.... Just on verge of what they'd retail & mileage a little high.... Advertised at a sane price. We turned up, viewed it, dealt with dealer principle.... Dad asked for a bit off... Got a bit off.... Drove it after & shook hands.

My own scenario.... Garage selling a demo.... Only had one... Price attracted me.... Trading in a sh1tter.... Talked cost to change.... Couple of €K off for the sh1tter which they were just taking off my hands really.... Numbers discussed & then a test drive which was just for the sake of it really.

That was all pre covid but recent enough..... Off peak though so even though the garages were well able to spend time with me I wasn't in an way wasting their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭road_high

SummerK wrote: »

Why do people buy cars with problems? They’ll likely drag their heels and won’t bother their arses fixing these, especially if the money has been handed over. Little wonder he didn’t want your friend to test drive it- bonkers!

Seems like how things are for serious buyers always?
    My last two experiences with buying...... My dad was buying off a main dealer, 4 year old car.... Just on verge of what they'd retail & mileage a little high.... Advertised at a sane price. We turned up, viewed it, dealt with dealer principle.... Dad asked for a bit off... Got a bit off.... Drove it after & shook hands.

My own scenario.... Garage selling a demo.... Only had one... Price attracted me.... Trading in a sh1tter.... Talked cost to change.... Couple of €K off for the sh1tter which they were just taking off my hands really.... Numbers discussed & then a test drive which was just for the sake of it really.

That was all pre covid but recent enough..... Off peak though so even though the garages were well able to spend time with me I wasn't in an way wasting their time.

TBH I am the same myself when buying a car. I may test drive 2-3 different models to zone in on the car I want. After that I call to a garage and ask the price of the car if it in the ballpark I try to deal and test drive. But if it's stupid money I walk away without driving. Last year I picked up an IX35 for herself. I only drove two of them the one I test drove to get an idea of the car and the one I bought.

BS of some sales men drive me crazy prices can vary be 0-3k and so can trade in values. Pre COVID salesmen were surprised that I come to look at a car check the price and refuse to test drive. If I was looking for a car at present I be letting the hare sit for a few months.. TBF most businesses are busy on reopening but there is a bit of BS goes on as well and that is true of all busini

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

road_high wrote: »
    Why do people buy cars with problems? They’ll likely drag their heels and won’t bother their arses fixing these, especially if the money has been handed over. Little wonder he didn’t want your friend to test drive it- bonkers!

Issues spotted after buying, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

road_high wrote: »

I asked him same question and he said he never observed carefully. Moreover usual BS stuff from dealer saying he handpicked car ‘as if it’s a fruit on mountain’ gave him confidence he said. Now that full money is paid, I have asked my friend to chase dealer to get issues sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement