Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse recording college

Options
  • 14-03-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi has anyone taken a course at pulse recording college, the course i'm interested is a full time advanced diploma over 2 years in music tech and sound engineering see here http://pulserecording.com/college/c1.asp as you can see it quite expensive, just wondering how this course compares to the music tech courses available at bray or ballyfermot higher education centres or with fas, and what might the job prospects be after completion of either course.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Hoover wrote: »
    and what might the job prospects be after completion of either course.:)

realistically speaking, there are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Jobs are few and far between, in the music recording side, certainly.

Most Freelance engineers I know, even the well known ones, would at best make a living wage, not much more.

I worked as an Engineer for 21 years ...... though for every busy time there were lots of lean ones!

As I wander around middle age I appreciate the regular cheque of my current gig!

In many ways being an Engineer/Producer/Musician defies conventional 'logic'............... but who wants to be conventional!!?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

I think what sets them apart is that they offer official Protools qualifications, which the other places don't. Whether this makes a huge difference to your subsequent employability, I can't say. I would imagine it counts for something though, seeing as how Protools is pretty much the industry standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

yes i checked out pulse

the course is expensive if you consider your chances of getting employment from it are close to zero,

if you are young and absolutely dedicated to music(sound production) do it and hound RTE for a job till you get one.

what i need is a part time course close to free and at times suitable for me like 10-11pm at night I know it aint gonna happen

Just out of curiousity, how many of the pro's here (either part time or full time) have Protool operator qualifications? How has this affected your employability? This seems to be the main difference between Pulse and other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

OP I did the 1st year at Pulse, and started the 2nd year, but left after getting a job in a local studio. A few lucky people will get jobs after doing the Pulse course, but most likely you won't, but you might get your foot in the door. What got me into a studio wasn't the Pulse certificate and Pro Tools exams, it was the list of 30 bands I had recorded during 1st year outside of college with my own setup, and more importantly, a couple of demo I recorded for a few bands at decent studios. I was able to walk into the studio and put on them CDs and say "this is what I can do", which will stand up much more than a CV with "2 years at Pulse college" with whatever **** certificate they give you.

In my opinion the 1st year is worth it, especially for the Pro Tools exams you do. But if you're not doing your own thing outside of college I think you can forget about it. You don't get enough studio time, not enough hands on. You can talk all day about EQ and compressors and mics, but you'll never learn to use them unless you get your hands on the things. I doubt you get enough studio time in 2nd year either, although I only did a couple of months, but I believe it's much more live-sound orientated (could be wrong though), which doesn't interest me. I left 2nd year because I was learning more in one session at the studio than a few weeks at Pulse, no exaggeration.

Anyway hope that might help you decide on things. I can't talk about the other courses, although I can tell you that people from Ballyfermot etc have come down to do some assistant work here before, so that's just as much a foot in the door as paying 14 grand to Pulse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Just out of curiousity, how many of the pro's here (either part time or full time) have Protool operator qualifications? How has this affected your employability? This seems to be the main difference between Pulse and other places.

I don't have any qualifications. Hasn't affected my employability at all, I'm still as unemployable as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

was offered a place in pulse, but turned it down for stc coz the focus was far more on what i wanted there

studiorat wrote: »
    I don't have any qualifications. Hasn't affected my employability at all, I'm still as unemployable as ever.

Ditto!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

henessjon wrote: »
    yes i checked out pulse

the course is expensive if you consider your chances of getting employment from it are close to zero,

if you are young and absolutely dedicated to music(sound production) do it and hound RTE for a job till you get one.

what i need is a part time course close to free and at times suitable for me like 10-11pm at night I know it aint gonna happen

you won't get a job directly with RTE anymore. Best best is to try the production companies (where are all located in dublin)

• Advertisement

My question regarding the qualifications was more aimed at people relatively new to the game. Let's face it, when some of you started Protools didn't exist, nor were you competing with people with formal training seeing as there wasn't really an industry built up around training sound engineers like there is today. I don't mean that it was any easier or that there weren't other considerations, just different times.

I know that these sort of courses are only worth what you get out of them, and even then on their own they aren't going to be enough to give you your break, but nonetheless I can imagine that applying for a job in a studio with Protools, having done the Digidesign qualifications would put you at an advantage over other candidates. What say ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I can imagine that applying for a job in a studio with Protools, having done the Digidesign qualifications would put you at an advantage over other candidates. What say ye?

I understand the logic behind your question. But the studio game doesn't really work like that. If you had two people going for the same job and they were both equally well positioned and one had the qualifications then maybe. But only maybe. Being a PT operator and being and engineer are 2 different things. I know in the states that people are hired for these different roles. here in Ireland obviously there are far fewer produtions that can afford one of each but it is an important distinction. That said, if getting the PT qualification increases your knowledge then that has to be a good thing, right? So why not?

If I was starting out again and really wanted to make a career in recording I'd do every good course I could afford (for knowledge, not qualifications), have a small but decent set up that I could grow over time (possibly portable then you don't have to worry about rent) and work for every band I could for free while doing those courses, learn to tune drums, devour every bit of technical knowledge as possible, offer my services to every studio in town in a polite, non-pushy but professional manner and get to know as many people as possible in the business. If you do that for 18 months you'll start to get what you want. If on top of that you want to be a producer, not just engineer, I'd dive into theory lessons and become as good a programmer as possible and be proficient on at least one insrument. Easy, eh? :p

My question regarding the qualifications was more aimed at people relatively new to the game. Let's face it, when some of you started Protools didn't exist, nor were you competing with people with formal training seeing as there wasn't really an industry built up around training sound engineers like there is today. I don't mean that it was any easier or that there weren't other considerations, just different times.

I know that these sort of courses are only worth what you get out of them, and even then on their own they aren't going to be enough to give you your break, but nonetheless I can imagine that applying for a job in a studio with Protools, having done the Digidesign qualifications would put you at an advantage over other candidates. What say ye?

Theoretically yes - practically maybe not.

When it comes down to it PT is easy enough to make go. Having a qualification in it is more a marketing thing more than anything. It ain't no biggie, nor is it an indication how quick you are on it - speed is vital.

There ain't no Course on the things that makes you employable i.e. musicality, imagination, enthusiasm, inter-personal skills, professionalism, experience , personal hygiene (?)

They're your goals , not a City and Guilds Cert or whatever, per se.
    As Niall in Salt implied, a course isn't even getting you in the door, it's merely leaving the door ajar.

It's up to you how hard you push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

Hi,
    Just spotted this and want to add my two cents.

1. As far as getting work in sound engineering is concerned. It is not true to say that there are no jobs! Most people seem to associate the job with either working in a music recording studio or with bands. In fact most of the jobs are not strictly in these areas. Sound engineering doesn't have to be about music although it is the one we all want! Sound engineering is everywhere, TV, Radio, Multimedia, Games, Audio post, PA hire, Games, and loads of other places. Even retail..ask Paul Brewer! Getting into one of these areas can open the door to other areas and eventually you might reach the promised land!

2.What does it take to get there? Basically you need tunnel vision! ..there can be no alternative! and of course talent!

3. The guys who say you're wasting your time are often the ones who just weren't really willing to stick at it or just hadn't got the natural aptitude! That's not a critisism of them, it's just that although you might love music and think you'd make a great sound engineer doesn't mean you will. It's a very different thing to being a musician and most guys who do sound engineering courses are musicians or at least very much into music.

4. Do you need a cert(S) Yes! Why? because of the fact that they exist!
    A degree in some subject doesn't always get you the job you want but it does prove that you had the go-ahead to put your head down and study. That means you're willing to work and dedicate yourself to something and that's what an employer wants more than anything. So if you couldn't be bothered to get a qualification in sound engineering and the other guy did, then the only reason to employ you is if the other guy sounds like an obnoxious over-confident f***! And believe me there's plenty of them out there!

6. Would you be better off just buying some gear. Maybe but in my experience, I've heard students say it time and time again " I been doing this wrong all along! I never really understood it until now!"

5. As you can may gather I teach this stuff and of course I'm a bit biased but I genuinely believe in what I'm doing! I like so many others wanted a career in music which then became sound and because I wanted it so much I got it with lots of hard work and study I might add!
    As for your chosen course, well I obviously can't comment but there are some good and less expensive alternatives!

Interesting!
    1. As far as getting work in sound engineering is concerned. It is not true to say that there are no jobs! Most people seem to associate the job with either working in a music recording studio or with bands. In fact most of the jobs are not strictly in these areas. Sound engineering doesn't have to be about music although it is the one we all want! Sound engineering is everywhere, TV, Radio, Multimedia, Games, Audio post, PA hire, Games, and loads of other places. Even retail..ask Paul Brewer! Getting into one of these areas can open the door to other areas and eventually you might reach the promised land!

Fair point , as you say there are many other, equally important and fulfilling Audio jobs - though obviously Music is the Holy Grail for most buckos I know...... and you will agree I'm sure, that the likelihood of long term employment is very slim in Music Recording?

I enjoyed my year of Retail in Music Maker a lot - I got a much better understanding of how that side works - it was also my first introduction to manufacturers directly.
    As a way to pay for your education working in a Music Shop is brilliant - Dublin needs more committed retail staff especially to add value to your purchase in this Internet competitive time. Some music shops are great some are not - it's all down to staff.
    2.What does it take to get there? Basically you need tunnel vision! ..there can be no alternative! and of course talent!

....and personal hygiene!
    3. The guys who say you're wasting your time are often the ones who just weren't really willing to stick at it or just hadn't got the natural aptitude! That's not a critisism of them, it's just that although you might love music and think you'd make a great sound engineer doesn't mean you will. It's a very different thing to being a musician and most guys who do sound engineering courses are musicians or at least very much into music.

Agreed - the reality of the job is often far from the expectation. In fact an awful lot of musicians have no idea what an engineer does, even though they work with them every day!
    4. Do you need a cert(S) Yes! Why? because of the fact that they exist!
    So if you couldn't be bothered to get a qualification in sound engineering and the other guy did, then the only reason to employ you is if the other guy sounds like an obnoxious over-confident f***! And believe me there's plenty of them out there!

I remain to be convinced on this one at the moment, but I think it should be the case someday! I'm not referring to Pulse at all as I barely know anyone there, but my experience is that a lot of teachers I've come across don't know their Arse from their EQ - this is a sweeping generalization I know , but it is my experience.
    Also from dealing with Recording Students in da Maker, it's them who often are obnoxious over-confident f***..... oh, and often wrong!
    5. As you can may gather I teach this stuff and of course I'm a bit biased but I genuinely believe in what I'm doing! I like so many others wanted a career in music which then became sound and because I wanted it so much I got it with lots of hard work and study I might add!
    As for your chosen course, well I obviously can't comment but there are some good and less expensive alternatives

I'll preface my this comment with - Pulse has a good rep, is there a long time and has good facilities, so this in no ways refers to them.

The danger with Audio Education as it stands, in my opinion, is that a lot of the time it's not good enough - either teacher wise or facility wise. Certainly a lot of the guys I've met wouldn't last 4 Bars of a song in the 'Real World' (again in my opinion) and seem spectacularly unequipped to teach a very complex subject with many, many strands.

In an ideal world students would have access to professional gear in professionally designed rooms. The importance of this is to establish what is 'Right' ... in a BBC sort of way, if you get my drift.
    Once you're aware of how 'right' sounds then that is a constant in your head and is always your goal, even if it's not achievable in every situation.

A product of some sub standard courses (in my opinion, you know the drill!)
    is that a new , lower quality replacement 'right' is taught.
    This spills into the 'Real World' in two ways I see - One is that the students (and their parents) think they're ready for employment and are spectacularly disappointed when they find they're not.
    The other is that, by sheer persistence, they end up making very average, dull records in below par facilities, but as everyone else is at it it's become the new 'normal' - hence it's rare that one hears a great sounding rock record here.... and will continue to be so until attitudes change.

To conclude - find out why a 'free' course is free. Does it have the teachers and facilities to give you, as a student, what you need to compete in a VERY competitive area ? - if so Brilliant!
    If not, can you buy a course that might be a proper pain in the Bass End to pay for ... but will give you what you need? Then maybe that few grand doesn't sound expensive at all.

The City and Guilds level 2 sound course requires 480 hours of contact time. 12 units at 40hrs each. That's why it's so expensive in the private colleges I suppose...
    On top of that there are 12 assingments that are supposed to take 15 hours each. IMO some of the tasks take much longer and some less.

Bray, Ballyfermot, Coolock etc. are paid for by the VEC, the only thing the student pays for is the registration and the cost of sitting the City and Guilds exams.

The only thing that the course gives in relation to employability is it proves that the prospective employee is likely to stick around for a while if they do actually land a job.

Nothing worse for a studio to spend 6 to 9 months training somebody in and them quit after that. You'd be amazed at the amount of people who when they get a job in a studio find out they don't actually like the long hours and bad pay and would rather be working "on their own music".

You'd be amazed at the amount of people who when they get a job in a studio find out they don't actually like the long hours and bad pay and would rather be working "on their own music".

Here! I'm one of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I would do a course if I had the money but then again my dream is to run my own studio and have guys and gals working for me, so I invested in my own setup and some private education and I am starting very small. Personally I do not want to be worried every day of my short existence if my boss is in good form or not. Thats not to say I would turn down a studio job offer but their would have to be a trust and a connection their for it to work in the first place.

I like working for myself and learning from my mistakes (i.e) not pawning my mistakes on the boss. I am the boss through thick and thin, better or worse. If I mess up its simply my fault. I like the steep learning curve I am on. However I have loads of friend who work in RTE and 4 out of 5 had to be qualified to get their well paid good jobs. They are earning tons more than I am for now..

Education is very important but so is experience. When I got work experience in Vicar St all the engineers said that college taught them fu%k all. They all said they didn't touch a desk . To me that is a rip off and them too I am sure.

If you want a well paid job and regular income a college education is highly advised, but if you are a rebel without a cause, a pipe dreamer, whatever you want to call yourself, get some good gear and get out there and make good contacts and slowly you will start to generate work. When you are so busy that you need to upgrade to a larger spec then do that too. Thats what I am doing and after 4 years and nothing but insecure feelings of doubt I am coming up with new business ideas, learning my trade and getting the odd phone call from new clients. . Hopefully this time next year (if my gamble was right) I will be making more money, ten fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coccla

For what it is worth I am in first year of the Sound Training Centre http://www.soundtraining.com This is €2000 cheaper than Pulse, they offer Protools 101, and a City and Guilds diploma. All this in one year. It is intense and fast moving but if you want to get in the industry; this helps you to bring you up too speed on the work load and pressure you will be put under. I know a lecture in pulse, and I have talked to many graduates of both schools, I chose STC because the STC graduates seemed more focused. Now I can tell you I didn't waste my time or money. The lectures are really friendly and approachable any time you want (within reason). If you are interested in studio work; they teach ethics and how to deal with clients, both preproduction and post-production. You will also have numerous chances to get work experience after the half way point of the year and if you get into 2nd year (top 20 students), you will have great opportunities to get a foot on the professional scene; with work in one of Ireland's best studios Grousse Lodge.
    Good Luck with what ever you decide
    I recommend STC but don't take my word for it, try to talk to some students or graduates in each course.
    Any other course doesn't seem to give you the same array of opportunities, and lets face facts this industry requires experience.

That's Grouse Lodge I believe;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coccla

Thank you, for that. It is a good thing I'm not doing a english or journalisim course, I'd have no chance!!

coccla wrote: »
    Thank you, for that. It is a good thing I'm not doing a english or journalisim course, I'd have no chance!!

More about attention to detail I would have thought. Mind you it is Temple Lane...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NewNo2

Im going to do the same course in Pulse, and I decided to put in my input

Why are alot of people seemingly putting down the course in pulse? Its directly linked wiith windmill lane recording studios (cuz they own it), so you get experience in a world class recording studio.

I recorded twice in Temple Lane, w/ 2nd year trainees... never, again. They really hadnt a clue. Thats not to say all their students are like that, not at all, but, ive just had enough of their bad ones to ever go back. That , and theyre very very bad at responding to queiris and emails and the like.

Ye, jobs in the music industry may be few, its a small industry over here... but eh, hello? What ****in jobs arent few and far between at this point? Thats the reason im going to pulse, to get a proper QUALIFICATION (which does matter!!) in what I want to do, and im prepared to do any kind of sound engineering work in tv, radio, advertising an etc etc, watever i can get until I can get a job in a studio (or start my own). If Ive gotta move abroad, then I will, and I think thats a very important thing prospective sound enginering students have to think about.

NOTHINGS GOING TO FALL INTO YOUR LAP, YOU HAVE TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN, as my mother says.

Finally, pulse is run by professional engineers. They arent teachers or lecturers, they are all now working sound engineers. The guy who heads the audio courses own like 7 recording studios I heard, and he directly employs past pulse students when he can / wants. And in the 2nd, they send a number of students to england for 2 weeks, last year, out of 15 students, 9 were offered full time employment. (Nine people, nine jobs)

And yes its an expensive course, but the equipment they have in all their studios, im sure the ppl here saying "qualifications mean nothing, etc etc" youve probably only read about the equipment theyve got there.

Oh, and very lastly, someone here said something about speed? In pulse they time you to see how long its takes you to input a signal to a channel nd route it here nd there, nd mix this and that and what not. (Remember, im going to be a student so, I dnt know the techy jargon yet) :P

coccla wrote: »
    For what it is worth I am in first year of the Sound Training Centre http://www.soundtraining.com This is €2000 cheaper than Pulse, they offer Protools 101, and a City and Guilds diploma. All this in one year. It is intense and fast moving but if you want to get in the industry; .

Pulse offers City & Guilds Cert 1, Diploma 2, Fetac 5 (worthless) and Protools 101 & 110 in year 1. By the end of the 2nd year youre a fully trained Pro tools operator with Pro tools 210, 220M & 220P, and city & guilds diploma level 3. (to name but a few)

Also, just related to what I posted above. In pulse you also do sound for tv, film nd game aswell, in the diploma course. So, you do get that experience and knowledge and that will make you more employable, because you wont just be strictly "music engineer"... youll have a few brances you can , well, branch out to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

NewNo2 wrote: »

Why are alot of people seemingly putting down the course in pulse? Its directly linked wiith windmill lane recording studios (cuz they own it), so you get experience in a world class recording studio.

erm.. the thread you're replying to is over 2 years old.. windmill was only a glint in pulse's eye at that stage :)

Oh dear me... :D I didnt even realise. :P

Ok, so I keep my argument but, tone it down to about a 3 :)

Ask the instructors in Pulse what qualifications they have. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

studiorat wrote: »
    Ask the instructors in Pulse what qualifications they have. :pac:

their qualifications are lined up all over the walls in the building so if he's going then he doesnt need to ask. he can see for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭thegrove54

Was talking to someone who did this course said that there was alot of internal polotics. For the price their charging id expect more studio time than lecture time i mean you can rote learn off the entire manual on this stuff and then get to a mixing desk and just think wait what does this button do. Best to learn on the Shi ttest piece of equipment you can find and make that sound amazing that way when you get to using the good equipment you can make the good stuff sound even better.

• Advertisement

their qualifications are lined up all over the walls in the building so if he's going then he doesnt need to ask. he can see for himself.

WFT? They have qualifications? Jaysus. I remember them when they were a 16 track in a basment on Harrington street.

I don't think them having or not having qualifications would make any difference to their current success tbh.

Advertisement