Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

So what is the solution here...? How common are sulky type accidents...? If either ‘cart’ or ‘horse’ were confiscated then there would be far more ‘sulkies on two legs’......like the majority of things traveller related the state authorities through a combination of lack of resources/deliberate policy of lax enforcement/intimidation do not seem to be that bothered about the behavior of a minority section of society.....looks like we in the ‘settled community’ will just have to accept this approach because after almost 100 years of self rule the application/ enforcement of rules and regs towards the ‘traveller community’ isn’t a priority......mr casey during his presidential campaign showed that the electorate would probably elect a lot of candidates if they were to run on the single issue of ‘controlling travellers’ But it is unlikely that in the next general Election there will be many such candidates.......there are far bigger things to solve as in ‘housing crisis’ brexit etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Cyclists could be aggressive or simply do a runner etc even though you would recognise them again.

Yes it is much more likely that a horse will do something unexpected in traffic, and when in control of children that can be even more dangerous.
    The sulky/cart is an added danger in such situations.

What t.f has that got to do with any part of the argument ??? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Road-Hog wrote: »
    So what is the solution here...? How common are sulky type accidents...? If either ‘cart’ or ‘horse’ were confiscated then there would be far more ‘sulkies on two legs’......like the majority of things traveller related the state authorities through a combination of lack of resources/deliberate policy of lax enforcement/intimidation do not seem to be that bothered about the behavior of a minority section of society.....looks like we in the ‘settled community’ will just have to accept this approach because after almost 100 years of self rule the application/ enforcement of rules and regs towards the ‘traveller community’ isn’t a priority......mr casey during his presidential campaign showed that the electorate would probably elect a lot of candidates if they were to run on the single issue of ‘controlling travellers’ But it is unlikely that in the next general Election there will be many such candidates.......there are far bigger things to solve as in ‘housing crisis’ brexit etc

So we should forget about any other issues cos Brexit and the Housing Crisis are more important? This issue to me is more prevalent as it is on my door step and it has happened to me. I've raised a question and suddenly everyone is pro traveller because they think i am not, I have no problem with travellers i just expect them to abide by the same laws and by laws that i am expected to abide by, its the very fact that people turn a blind eye and don't say hey that's not on that we find ourselves in this situation, The rules are constantly being broken and no matter who ye may call or ring, Guards Politicians IPA no one is willing to show any kind of accountability despite evidence and say hey your not allowed do that to the detriment of the rest of us because it just emboldens them to do what they like.

Turning a blind eye is worse in the long run

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So we should forget about any other issues cos Brexit and the Housing Crisis are more important? This issue to me is more prevalent as it is on my door step and it has happened to me. I've raised a question and suddenly everyone is pro traveller because they think i am not, I have no problem with travellers i just expect them to abide by the same laws and by laws that i am expected to abide by, its the very fact that people turn a blind eye and don't say hey that's not on that we find ourselves in this situation, The rules are constantly being broken and no matter who ye may call or ring, Guards Politicians IPA no one is willing to show any kind of accountability despite evidence and say hey your not allowed do that to the detriment of the rest of us because it just emboldens them to do what they like.

Turning a blind eye is worse in the long run

Your issue here is the existing laws are not being enforced, this is something you need to raise with local Gardai, Council and your local TD.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your issue here is the existing laws are not being enforced, this is something you need to raise with local Gardai, Council and your local TD.

Thank you i have done but they all listen and say theyll do something but never do, none of them have the nuts to put this out there for fear of being a backlash or anti traveller the truth is they cant cut through the bull, I think these things need to be looked at as a collective effort. I asked to speak to the local halting sites liason officer and i was told it was such and such but impossible to get in contact with.

The very idea of a liason officer is to go between local residents and halting site.

• Advertisement

Thank you i have done but they all listen and say theyll do something but never do, none of them have the nuts to put this out there for fear of being a backlash or anti traveller the truth is they cant cut through the bull, I think these things need to be looked at as a collective effort. I asked to speak to the local halting sites liason officer and i was told it was such and such but impossible to get in contact with.

The very idea of a liason officer is to go between local residents and halting site.

Time for us to Take the law into our own hands.......start mass protests like there was Re the water charges and other austerity issues.....

Time for us to Take the law into our own hands.......start mass protests like there was Re the water charges and other austerity issues.....

Oh really? I bet your one of these people that moan and gripe about stuff instead of going to the right channels and saying there's a problem.

Its so much easier to come on here and ridicule others isn't it, from the safety of your keyboard.

I don't see anything in what i wrote about rising up and taking the law into my own hands??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Why don't you march up to their camp and protest up there?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Why don't you march up to their camp and protest up there?

What good would that do?

Why don't you put forward a decent argument instead of sarcasm and knowing all the answers

What good would that do?

Well it'd probably be the first and last protest, so it'd be much more efficient than protesting anywhere else.

• Advertisement

What good would that do?

Why don't you put forward a decent argument instead of sarcasm and knowing all the answers

Just to follow up on your second comment, I wasn't being sarcastic or offering any answers.

I genuinely think you should go up there and engage with them directly if you feel so strongly about it.

Just to follow up on your second comment, I wasn't being sarcastic or offering any answers.

I genuinely think you should go up there and engage with them directly if you feel so strongly about it.

I'm sure you would genuinely do the same if you had an issue with local residents who constantly flaunted the law of the land and I'm sure you'd get a polite and constructive response. Fact is i have spoken to powers that be to no avail,

If the environmental protection agency don't do anything about certain scrap metal pile ups and cars being burnt out to by pass the legal environmental process to end of life vehicles on public land then that tells you what your up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Are the authorities afraid of that group up there I wonder? As halting sites go, it's one of the worst I've seen (although I've never seen a good one).

That group seem to be particularly out of control. They even hung washing lines from the neighbouring estates trees for crying out loud.

I'm sure you would genuinely do the same if you had an issue with local residents who constantly flaunted the law of the land and I'm sure you'd get a polite and constructive response. Fact is i have spoken to powers that be to no avail,

If the environmental protection agency don't do anything about certain scrap metal pile ups and cars being burnt out to by pass the legal environmental process to end of life vehicles on public land then that tells you what your up against.

I have engaged with them on loads of different occasions in the past on different issues.

But I'm not advocating taking the law into my own hands or protesting. And if you are you planning on protesting better to go to source than blocking up the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

There's effectively nothing Casey could have done though. He would have embarrassed the office of the presidency if elected.

There's effectively nothing Casey could have done though. He would have embarrassed the office of the presidency if elected.

Yes agree there but people admired his ‘say it like it is approach’........if he has been elected as president he would definitely have done absolutely nothing Re traveller issues......was it a ‘stroke of genius’ by casey in swaying public opinion his way by deliberately using an emotive side issue.....? Or did he just get lucky ?

Either way whether it’s due to intimidation/ lack of Will or resources or just indifference by government authorities, they have shown over the decades that traveller issues are far from top of the agenda

Only a matter of time before the horses cause an accident in Carrickpherrish. There was one out Williamstown way this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Azatadine wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before the horses cause an accident in Carrickpherrish. There was one out Williamstown way this evening.

Yeah, I was there for that one. I passed two sulkies, one with a child on a bike hanging on to it. Stuck at the roadworks I heard a noise, looked in the mirror, and the child and driver were on the road and the horse was galloping up the road in a panic with the sulkie on it’s side scraping along the tarmac.
    When the horse got to the roadworks and couldn’t go any further it turned towards the ditch and after a minute or so trying to break through the ditch, collapsed on the footpath. Reinforcements arrived from the halting site and they eventually got the poor horse unhooked. It was a miracle nobody was hurt.
    As I was driving away the horse was back on its feet and they were trying to yolk it to the sulkie again!!

How those sulkies are not classed as cruelty to animals I'll never know. Making them 'race' on tarmac with an unnatural gait with a trap and a big traveller whipping them along. Their hooves and joints must be in bits. I dont know how they train them to perform that gait but I'm sure it's not a pleasant experience for the horse.

How those sulkies are not classed as cruelty to animals I'll never know. Making them 'race' on tarmac with an unnatural gait with a trap and a big traveller whipping them along. Their hooves and joints must be in bits. I dont know how they train them to perform that gait but I'm sure it's not a pleasant experience for the horse.

Well I’m sure this type of incident has been relayed to the relevant authorities on many an occasion and they either chose to ignore it or did what they can.....are there powers to cease animals based on abuse.....? If not all the cops and isoca can do is issue warnings and fines etc.....we know the traveller attitude to those....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Travellers can do what they like when they like and if they don't like it you're a racist....

Look up Virgin media one and living with Lucy ...
    John Connors living with Lucy.

Yeah, watching it. if this was supposed to give us a good impression of them it failed....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yeah, watching it. if this was supposed to give us a good impression of them it failed....

It's been milked down loads....

It's a pity it isn't showing the true going on.....

I actually care for where I live, I want to live in a safe or safe as possible estate, have other decent members around and live a comfortable life....

If these robbing backstards continue I'll have nothing or when I retire and can't stand up for myself they will kill me for my pension money.....

Shocking how much protection scum has in Ireland.

I have engaged with them on loads of different occasions in the past on different issues.

But I'm not advocating taking the law into my own hands or protesting. And if you are you planning on protesting better to go to source than blocking up the town.

Oh that's why your called HardyBuck

Oh that's why your called HardyBuck

Why would I have to be 'hardy' to engage with them on different issues? Are you afraid for some reason?

Why would I have to be 'hardy' to engage with them on different issues? Are you afraid for some reason?

I wouldn't be afraid to engage with any sensible person who is willing to accept criticism but some people aren't and choose to single out people who don't accept their way of life, I've seen it happen before. you really paint a lovely democratic reasonable picture of these people.

Some people want rights to do things their way and feck the rest of them and if we don't like it then there's trouble.

Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise

I wouldn't be afraid to engage with any sensible person who is willing to accept criticism but some people aren't and choose to single out people who don't accept their way of life, I've seen it happen before. you really paint a lovely democratic reasonable picture of these people.

Some people want rights to do things their way and feck the rest of them and if we don't like it then there's trouble.

Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise

I haven't really, I just asked you a straight question.

Previous to that I voiced an opinion that protesting down the town would be an utter waste of time, and asked you why you didn't take it up with them if you felt so strongly.

I'm not sure who owns this land, but travellers pull into private land up and down the country every day of the week. These landowners don't protest in their nearest urban center about it...

I haven't really, I just asked you a straight question.

Previous to that I voiced an opinion that protesting down the town would be an utter waste of time, and asked you why you didn't take it up with them if you felt so strongly.

I'm not sure who owns this land, but travellers pull into private land up and down the country every day of the week. These landowners don't protest in their nearest urban center about it...

Its actually a halting site and all land in the surrounding area is owned by the council who allow this type of behaviour to go on, they are fully aware of it, there were cars being burnt out every 2nd night in those fields, to which the Fire Brigade had to respond to, wheres the joined up thinking, its costing this amount because!!!!!! Scrap Metal business's must meet strict criteria to operate and hold licences and they obviously don't, NOTHING gets done about it, i have spoken to counsellors and the EPA and Guards etc etc, As is my civic duty but NOBODY wants to touch it despite the fact that they breaking the law habitually.

When they were canvassing recently i managed to ask certain counsellors why they hadn't got back to me like they said they would on some of these issues.

So simple to resolve yet no one has the cahones to do anything.

We have to be compliant with the law but they don't have to be and if anyone tries to do anything, even discuss it on a forum like this, its Racism, its absolutely madness, i

Its actually a halting site and all land in the surrounding area is owned by the council who allow this type of behaviour to go on, they are fully aware of it, there were cars being burnt out every 2nd night in those fields, to which the Fire Brigade had to respond to, wheres the joined up thinking, its costing this amount because!!!!!! Scrap Metal business's must meet strict criteria to operate and hold licences and they obviously don't, NOTHING gets done about it, i have spoken to counsellors and the EPA and Guards etc etc, As is my civic duty but NOBODY wants to touch it despite the fact that they breaking the law habitually.

When they were canvassing recently i managed to ask certain counsellors why they hadn't got back to me like they said they would on some of these issues.

So simple to resolve yet no one has the cahones to do anything.

We have to be compliant with the law but they don't have to be and if anyone tries to do anything, even discuss it on a forum like this, its Racism, its absolutely madness, i

First of all - fair play with regard to your engagement with the Gardai, EPA and local Councillors on the issue.

To probe that racism element you've mentioned, there have been other areas of town where crime has been a problem over the years, and other anti-social behaviour which has an impact on the quality of life of others.

Do you think there should be a general protest complaining about crime and anti-social behaviour generally or do you solely want to protest regarding the residents of this particular location?

• Advertisement

First of all - fair play with regard to your engagement with the Gardai, EPA and local Councillors on the issue.

To probe that racism element you've mentioned, there have been other areas of town where crime has been a problem over the years, and other anti-social behaviour which has an impact on the quality of life of others.

Do you think there should be a general protest complaining about crime and anti-social behaviour generally or do you solely want to protest regarding the residents of this particular location?

Again, I brought up the issue that i had as that was the theme on this topic and it related to my interactions

Plus the only ones i see actually breaking the law HABITUALLY are these people, its not one where you need to go investigate and we need to call in CSI Miami to to figure it out, they do it time and time again and THE LAW sees it

Its well known and documented there is a smoking gun, Go in there and say no your not allowed burn out cars to harvest the scrap metal, no you cant operate a scrap metal site on council land without the proper licence and EPA approval etc etc this is in black and white, its not who did it in the dark of the night lets go investigate, its one of the easier crimes to solve. IF you see the same person breaking the same law day in day out its pretty easy to stop that person or people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement