Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Seen that development proposed up by tramore racecourse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

The site linked is behind a paywall, anyone have an idea which location this is proposed for?

https://twitter.com/BuildingIndex/status/1267743885649948674

The housing and apartment units seem to correspond to this development in Tramore: https://waterfordnow.ie/news/large-new-housing-development-planned-for-tramore/

Edit: Sorry, missed Hoffmans reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PP granted to development in Knockboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Does anyone know where that development is actually going? Only seems to be listed as Knockboy which is hardly specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Hoffmans wrote: »
    We're still paying heavily for 2008 , I can see the state doing something to mollycoddle the vulture funds / REITs
    To keep property prices and rents in fantasy territory

I don't think REITS want high property prices. The idea of high property prices was was to end mortgages in negative equity which it has done a great job at. The prices are not fantasy. They are very much real and to buy prices dont appear to be too high.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where that development is actually going? Only seems to be listed as Knockboy which is hardly specific.

There are two developments mooted - one on the corner fields at the traffic light junction with the Williamstown road and the other is about halfway down the hill to Dunmore road. It's probably one of them.

There's also the Village extension at Radharc na Siuire which was changed by developer and resubmitted and passed last week. http://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/19636/0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

nkay1985 wrote: »

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2342661,-7.0541315,17.63z?hl=en

It this area here. Will have a new entrance from the Dunmore Road side, on the right as you head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don't think REITS want high property prices. The idea of high property prices was was to end mortgages in negative equity which it has done a great job at. The prices are not fantasy. They are very much real and to buy prices dont appear to be too high.

Asset price inflation has been the main aim for a long time now by governments and financial institutions, it most certainly hasn't worked, particularly for those that don't own assets, mainly younger generations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Nothing against this particular project, but I hope the Council do more to prioritise housing developments within the ring road and encourage infill of sites closer to the city centre.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Nothing against this particular project, but I hope the Council do more to prioritise housing developments within the ring road and encourage infill of sites closer to the city centre.

I'm not aware of any PP granted to anything beyond one off housing outside RR

Loads of space albeit a few bits marked are now being developed since I did this two years ago (which also shows how things are moving on accommodation front)

Waterford-2040-A.jpg

Does anyone remember the linear woodland that was promised for the outside edge? That like so much vanished with the last crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Does seem to be a trend of people buying houses and moving back into the inner city. It is great to see. Have seen some lovely renovations done on old houses around the city. Saw one on Convent Hill which was excellent. There are so many advantages to living in the inner city, think people are starting to see that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I'm not aware of any PP granted to anything beyond one off housing outside RR

Loads of space albeit a few bits marked are now being developed since I did this two years ago (which also shows how things are moving on accommodation front)

Waterford-2040-A.jpg

Does anyone remember the linear woodland that was promised for the outside edge? That like so much vanished with the last crash.

That Knockboy scheme would also appear to kill any chance of a future river crossing there. Do the council not keep corridors free of development for future strategic needs for roads & bridges? I know ahead in the make-believe queue for a 3rd road bridge is Reginalds Tower to North Quays and next is Maypark Nursing Home to Newtown(Kilkenny) but neither would be southern by-passes.
    I mean a proper outer-ring grade road skirting around Ballygunner/Knockboy crossing the river before Blenheim to Little Island and across to Kilkenny.

That Knockboy scheme would also appear to kill any chance of a future river crossing there. Do the council not keep corridors free of development for future strategic needs for roads & bridges? I know ahead in the make-believe queue for a 3rd road bridge is Reginalds Tower to North Quays and next is Maypark Nursing Home to Newtown(Kilkenny) but neither would be southern by-passes.
    I mean a proper outer-ring grade road skirting around Ballygunner/Knockboy crossing the river before Blenheim to Little Island and across to Kilkenny.

Wouldn't that potential future crossing come across from Belview Port to somewhere around Faithlegg?

Wouldn't that potential future crossing come across from Belview Port to somewhere around Faithlegg?

Well, thats obviously the next clear route if Knockboy/Ballygunner gets filled in with houses.
    Between the Anglian WWTP and O'Brien Cement to northeast tip of Little Island to back of Blenheim

Well, thats obviously the next clear route if Knockboy/Ballygunner gets filled in with houses.
    Between the Anglian WWTP and O'Brien Cement to northeast tip of Little Island to back of Blenheim

It's probably the most viable route if it links up with the Port, and by crossing by Faithlegg I'd hope to take the shortest route across.

If you had it coming out a Faighlegg (or around there) it could do a wider loop, go east of Passage Cross, and either link up with the L1023 at Ballygunner or at the Ring Road around Kilcohan. This could open up a lot of extra land around there for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Bout time someone thought to build a few houses out the dunmore road! Feck all houses out that way... /s :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭914

I presume that is an old render of the plans as more than 57 houses appear in that image

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Good to hear but how do these builders come up with these outlandish foreign names for the estates. There are so many local names they could use.We must have complete idiots as local planners to allow that.

It's on a hill and someone spotted holly.

• Advertisement

It's on a hill and someone spotted holly.

tis poetry really!

Anyone who uses the ring road at the Williamstown end will have seen that the new development of 91 houses (phase A) is going to empty out straight on to the ring road. It really should be against the law to exit onto a dual carriageway without appropriate infrastructure changes.

Even with greatly reduced speed limits I can plenty of near misses not too mention the obvious 9 am tailback getting that bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Anyone who uses the ring road at the Williamstown end will have seen that the new development of 91 houses (phase A) is going to empty out straight on to the ring road. It really should be against the law to exit onto a dual carriageway without appropriate infrastructure changes.

Even with greatly reduced speed limits I can plenty of near misses not too mention the obvious 9 am tailback getting that bit longer.

Yeah I thought they'd use the pre existing exit to get in there. Makes much more sense on paper.

But I'm sure the presence of the traveller families that live right there might have been a deterrent to selling any of those houses, hence the otherwise totally fcukin daft decision to create a new exit was made.

God forbid those travellers be uprooted and shifted for the sake of the dozens of other families to have safer access to their future homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Now the planning precedent of direct access onto the ring road has been set - developers will let rip.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Now the planning precedent of direct access onto the ring road has been set - developers will let rip.

do people really think things have changed since the last boom and bust!

How did they even get planning permission to break out a new access point onto the dual-carriage especially so close to the roundabout? It totally flies in the face of best practice and precedent. Absolutely should have been routed onto the halting site entrance/exit or else shouldn't the developer have had to buy one of those undeveloped sites on the Williamstown rd to create an entrance there?
    I'm not a town planner but I thought that was the way it was supposed to work; distributor roads for residental/commercial/ industrial estate entrances, linking to free-flowing, entrance-free ring roads via roundabouts or traffic-lighted junctions?

How did they even get planning permission to break out a new access point onto the dual-carriage especially so close to the roundabout? It totally flies in the face of best practice and precedent. Absolutely should have been routed onto the halting site entrance/exit or else shouldn't the developer have had to buy one of those undeveloped sites on the Williamstown rd to create an entrance there?
    I'm not a town planner but I thought that was the way it was supposed to work; distributor roads for residental/commercial/ industrial estate entrances, linking to free-flowing, entrance-free ring roads via roundabouts or traffic-lighted junctions?

logic doesnt exist in the world of development, particularly when a government is under serious pressure regarding critical needs, and when theres a few quid involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

Who would buy a house with a shared entrance with gurney traffic?? :pac:
    Like who would you give right of way to? The horse? The gurney? The big man steering it? Or the garda car following it?
    Won't somebody think of the children!!!
    (....Or the falling house prices in the surrounding area's :rolleyes:)

Who would buy a house with a shared entrance with gurney traffic?? :pac:
    Like who would you give right of way to? The horse? The gurney? The big man steering it? Or the garda car following it?
    Won't somebody think of the children!!!
    (....Or the falling house prices in the surrounding area's :rolleyes:)

council will probably have no bother filling them!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mortgage-lenders-demand-20-deposit-from-first-time-buyers-ttl9hb2jp

UK based story for now but ours won't be far behind. It's about to go down the tubes. Once lending dries up. Price collapses follow soon after. Can't imagine a huge amount of FTB in/around places like Waterford would have a 20% deposit.

Advertisement