Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mortgage-lenders-demand-20-deposit-from-first-time-buyers-ttl9hb2jp

UK based story for now but ours won't be far behind. It's about to go down the tubes. Once lending dries up. Price collapses follow soon after. Can't imagine a huge amount of FTB in/around places like Waterford would have a 20% deposit.

yup, similar set of issues arising in the financial sector compared to 07/08, i.e. significant drop in demand for new credit, and an increasing likelihood of defaults and none performing loans, get ready, the real downturn is in the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Mouldy damp squib for 60k
    This property bubble is about to burst same nonsense as 2007..

www.daft.ie/12768236

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Wateford Council is supposed to be buying lots of new properties for social housing. The town will never recover when young workers can't afford their own home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Nowhere will be safe. Imagine stumping up €240k plus for a nice new house only to have Darren and Jacinta Dolebird move in beside you for free and turn their gaff into a mad session house.

Some councils around the country are now buying every house in a new estate for social housing. You won't even be lucky enough to buy a new home and have dole birds as neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

vriesmays wrote: »
    Some councils around the country are now buying every house in a new estate for social housing. You won't even be lucky enough to buy a new home and have dole birds as neighbours.

I am really against one offs but there is no wonder why there is such demand for one offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

vriesmays wrote: »

I don't care if I get banned but you're a complete arsehole. You blame things on immigrants, non-white people, people on social welfare,. Disguting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I don't care if I get banned but you're a complete arsehole. You blame things on immigrants, non-white people, people on social welfare,. Disguting.

He or she is a troll. He or she gets off on provoking reactions. You had a choice to recognise this as such and choose not to reply. Instead, you gave them exactly the reaction they wanted. Its people like you who always feed the trolls who are the problem.

He or she is a troll. He or she gets off on provoking reactions. You had a choice to recognise this as such and choose not to reply. Instead, you gave them exactly the reaction they wanted. Its people like you who always feed the trolls who are the problem.
    I am against social housing. Am I troll? Do you really think that I am not being sincere? Funny how one is only insincere if they are not lefty.

No they arent.

• Advertisement

I am against social housing. Am I troll? Do you really think that I am not being sincere? Funny how one is only insincere if they are not lefty.

What are your proposals do deal with such issues, how do we provide housing for our citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Deiseen

No they arent.

Don't know your posts enough to tell whether you are a troll.

That other clown is 100% a troll. I've had to mute them numerous times, I'd suggest everyone does the same.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What are your proposals do deal with such issues, how do we provide housing for our citizens?

If you look at housing data stretching back to the 1970s it is evident that social renters pay about 5-10% of income on rent. Private renters pay 10-25%. See Figure 2.9 Social houses should be a temporary measure to give people a le up, not for the rest of their lives. However a compromise would be making social renters pay the same % of income as private. Furthermore, people should be evicted if they go into arrears for years. 60% of social renters in Dublin are in arrears. Finally councils should not be liability for basic maintenance of these houses. If someone trips over a loose patio tile of their council home, they should not be able to sue their council as is the case currently. If you are unwilling to open your window and you get sick from the mould, its on you. This county rewards indolence and Waterford is no better.

If you look at housing data stretching back to the 1970s it is evident that social renters pay about 5-10% of income on rent. Private renters pay 10-25%. See Figure 2.9 Social houses should be a temporary measure to give people a le up, not for the rest of their lives. However a compromise would be making social renters pay the same % of income as private. Furthermore, people should be evicted if they go into arrears for years. 60% of social renters in Dublin are in arrears. Finally councils should not be liability for basic maintenance of these houses. If someone trips over a loose patio tile of their council home, they should not be able to sue their council as is the case currently. If you are unwilling to open your window and you get sick from the mould, its on you. This county rewards indolence and Waterford is no better.

so what should be done to house these individuals, if our current methods fail, or if any of your proposals fail?

so what should be done to house these individuals, if our current methods fail, or if any of your proposals fail?

A lof the residual demand is elastic. Many on the list probably could live with family. The rest in emergency accommodation. Reduce the supply of these social houses and you would have approximately 10% more houses built by the private sector which would make private houses more affordable to all. Virtuous circle.

A lof the residual demand is elastic. Many on the list probably could live with family. The rest in emergency accommodation. Reduce the supply of these social houses and you would have approximately 10% more houses built by the private sector which would make private houses more affordable to all. Virtuous circle.

so if you cant afford your own accommodation, and noting, some individuals may have kids etc, they could 'probably' live with family? what if they have poor or no family connections? failing all that, 'emergency', temporary(permanent), accommodation? so increasing housing supply reduces the cost of housing, any proof of this, anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

so if you cant afford your own accommodation, and noting, some individuals may have kids etc, they could 'probably' live with family? what if they have poor or no family connections? failing all that, 'emergency', temporary(permanent), accommodation? so increasing housing supply reduces the cost of housing, any proof of this, anywhere?

In a ‘perfect market condition’ as you would learn about in second level business studies/economics....increasing supply leads to price reductions.....however in the real world proper markets done exist and particularly not with property and particularly not in Ireland.....monopolies/cartels/price fixing etc are all at play.

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    In a ‘perfect market condition’ as you would learn about in second level business studies/economics....increasing supply leads to price reductions.....however in the real world proper markets done exist and particularly not with property and particularly not in Ireland.....monopolies/cartels/price fixing etc are all at play.

....not forgetting one of the main causes of rising property prices, 'the availability of credit'!

it ll be interesting to see when perfect market conditions turns up, they ll be some session, oh im sorry to inform you, it actually doesnt exist anywhere on this planet, because its a myth! oh markets exist alright, but there d be no equilibrium, burn the text books!

^^^^would you seriously take a house in ballybeg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Should you have a choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Im living there going on 3 years now and i love it here. Im from Cork originally and i knew nothing of the area. Yes it has its problems from a few families but there is also a very warm and strong sense of community here. Some of the nicest people ive ever met are on this street. I was a blow in and knew nobody so i was anxious and homesick the first few months but the neighbours always had a word for me. Id get chatting with some of them, they helped me out a few times when i needed some tips on DIY places in town. They added me right away to the community group and ive even had a few cans last Christmas period with 2 of my neighbours.

Salt of the earth is the only way i describe it so its not fair to tar Ballybeg like that. Ive lived in awful places around the country and this place is easily the best.

hardybuck wrote:
    Should you have a choice?

Absolutely
    DeiseNew wrote:
    Salt of the earth is the only way i describe it so its not fair to tar Ballybeg like that. Ive lived in awful places around the country and this place is easily the best.

Try living in Ardmore park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Live in priory lawn 15 years now and I wouldn't swap it for the world. People here really nice and everyone knows everyone. Nice community feel.

Live in priory lawn 15 years now and I wouldn't swap it for the world. People here really nice and everyone knows everyone. Nice community feel.

Great community, always has been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As mentioned on WLR

Inquiries about property in Waterford city and county shows interest from the Dublin market up x2 on this time last year, with Dungarvan and Dunmore the hot spots at x 2.5 as compared to 2019. The main point of interest was that those with no local family connections were seeking information about the market. There was no mention of the age cohort breakdown. Could be retired or soon to bes looking to cash in and live the life of Reilly.

As mentioned on WLR

Inquiries about property in Waterford city and county shows interest from the Dublin market up x2 on this time last year, with Dungarvan and Dunmore the hot spots at x 2.5 as compared to 2019. The main point of interest was that those with no local family connections were seeking information about the market. There was no mention of the age cohort breakdown. Could be retired or soon to bes looking to cash in and live the life of Reilly.

i know a couple of younger folks originally from waterford, that recently moved back, not point considering buying in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

i know a couple of younger folks originally from waterford, that recently moved back, not point considering buying in dublin

There's always a cohort of people who go up in their teens or 20s, with for college or their early career, and then move back down the country when it's time to settle down and start a family.

However I know 12-13 Waterford people within a 1-2 mile radius of where I live in Dublin who've mostly been here 10-15 years.

That's because they can't afford to buy in Dublin.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    There's always a cohort of people who go up in their teens or 20s, with for college or their early career, and then move back down the country when it's time to settle down and start a family.

However I know 12-13 Waterford people within a 1-2 mile radius of where I live in Dublin who've mostly been here 10-15 years.

i know a chap that moved up there just after the last crash, just moved back, couldnt buy up there

Advertisement