Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

https://laois.ie/portlaoise-low-carbon-town/#:~:text=The%20Ireland%202040%20Plan%20identified,the%20Ireland%202040%20demonstration%20project.

"The Ireland 2040 Plan identified the town of Portlaoise as a national demonstration project for implementing sustainable and community driven urban renewal. Furthermore, Portlaoise was allocated funding to become a ‘Low Carbon Town’ as part of the Ireland 2040 demonstration project."

More than likely because of this and not because of oil spills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What is the service from Dundrum to Airport like in terms of running on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I used the Dundrum service once when it first started so a while back now. I live equidistant between its terminus and the Aircoach route. It moved well once on the M50 but lost a lot of time coming off at, I think Red Cow, to a stop there and then back on to the M50. It worked out at about the same time as the Aircoach service at just over an hour.

Thanks, I assumed the Dundrum route would be faster, being mostly on the M50. However, you are right, Aircoach journey time may be equal or shorter at certain times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Jameslee23

As far as I know, it’s been happening for the last couple of months, and they said if they don’t remove the bus from the route they’re gonna revoke their license to operate in the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Aircoach makes good time as can avail of buslanes for much of route. What slows it down is frequent stops and passengers needing to access luggage storage/buy tickets, so very unpredictable. I see it is now listed on the bus timetable app. When it first operated it had a 'real time' location which was very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

In service Dublin Coach Tourismo, front door. 

How in the name of God is this company still on the road?????

Its a disgrace Joe!

They are getting better. They did buy new buses last year and they’re gonna start replacing older fleet once the buses turned 12 years old.

12 yrs is a long service life ...maybe too long.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

They already have coaches from 2008 and 2009 on thee road which I have been in recent weeks, so already a few well ahead of that.

I see nothing to suggest they are getting better, even some of the newer vehicles have very poor vehicle presentation standards.

A bus can do 20+ years with proper TLC without any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

That could be catasphoric if the bus was to catch fire

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AX612

I was on 2 of the Vanhools on the Portlaoise run yesterday, one from 2012 and the second from 2009. Both are in bits but being on the 726 route which is 24 hours a day doesn't help and from what I can gather on Dublin Coach tracker they never seem to get a break! it's almost like the only time they'll get a break is to go to the depot to get fueld, cleaned and sent back out again.

I heard a rumor that they'll be getting more Scania Ayats (like the ones on the 600) this year. The smart thing to do would to be take the 21 reg Ayats off the Cork run and place them into Portlaoise, then use the brand new ones on Cork, resulting in the Vanhools being binned off.. there's your problem sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I did the 600 Cork to Kilkenny on Saturday and the front door was broken so they were only using the back door. There was an old guy waiting to get off in Waterford and he was staring down at the door waiting for it to open so he could head down. I had to tell him that passengers were already getting on and he’d have to get off at the back. Added to that there was no water in the toilet or sink, and p1ss all over the toilet and floor.

Alot of the doors on them are broken, I've seen drivers pulling them closed as they're closing so that they're closed properly.

Toilets are supposed to be cleaned when they go for fueling ect and water supposed to be put into them too. There's always a strong smell of p1ss from them 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ah seriously; that is disgusting stuff coming from Dublin Coach's standards. Have they not learned any lessons from dealing with improved hygiene standards in their buses after we had the Covid pandemic roughly 4 years ago? They should be ashamed of themselves to allow their own passengers to breathe in the smell of p1ss at any time they would use their services through any day of the week.

They also should have a full time dedicated team of mechanics with plenty of new up to date parts for their their coach fleet on site in their depots to repair any type of mechanical issues with them asap. I would be highly sceptical if Dublin Coach have any qualified mechanics on site in their workforce if management are asking them to ''fix'' these issues with short term solutions that exacerbates the likelihood of more heath and safety issues in their coach fleet either now or in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes was on the M9 bus lately and the front door was also broken, might be the same one. Also toilets are not well maintained. Light appeared not to be working ( I assume it should be automatic). Shame to see these lovely new buses not being well treated and cared for already. I think they’re extremely comfortable and can move too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The door isn't broken, I suspect some drivers are using the back door because there is probally a seal issue.

I was on it today, entered via the bank and existed the front!

I will agree the toilets are not great and should be locked by the driver however on balance they are usually not bad.

Door issues and filthy toilets are not unique to DC issue, expierenced similar with BE even pulling over on the road to pull it closed.

If they get more coaches I would expect 300 will seem them before Portlaoise.

Well I'd imagine what they'll probably do instead is if they end up using all the Scania Ayats for the 300 and 600 (including the new ones if that rumor is true) then you'd see a massive increase in Tourismo's on Portlaoise. The 750 is allocated the same Setras both 08 reg and the Portarlington route usually gets a Sprinter van that also appears on the 750. A Citaro single deck city bus was on Portarlington recently

Coaches aren't meant for frequent stopping services and are not as fast as bus doors which are intended for such work.

Many of the issues with doors not closing properly are because drivers are pushed in terms of timetables and they are taking off before the door is fully closed and sealed, which over time causes the doors not to close properly.

• Advertisement

They have a new 141 double-decker that’s supposed to be going on the airport route from this week. That’s the one that was replacing the 2009 one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

And of course a setra just passed me in Dundrum on the 750 with it's engine bay door wide open 🫣

And in terms of their Ayats, there's some already missing panelling and I even saw one in town missing one of its external glass panels!

That 141 regs are probably more ex Stagecoach Megabus Vanhool's. I was told by a friend of mine in the UK that Stagecoach are starting to withdraw their 14 plate Vanhools

If they're ex Megabus then let's say they would have had a very hard life, just like the Neoplans and the current Dublin Coach Vanhools has before they came here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭patrickc

Those Setras must have inter galactic mileage on them.

It's a testament to their build quality they're still going, rather than good maintenance.

Post edited by patrickc on

Red Cow tonight.. bus was on a 726 to Portlaoise with passengers on board!

For a coach in service 7 days a week for a good 18 hours everyday other road it's a lot. Yes buses can last the best part of 20 years but most will be much more lightly used on their final years in services than their first couple of years.

BE usually relegate their older fleet to schools after 12-14 years in service, DB usually put their oldest vehicles out only at peak times and Aircoach don't hold on to much after 10 years.

I'd say the clocks have probably around 4 or 5 times on them at this stage

Dublin Bus usually had a 15 year rule and would sell buses off after that to private operators mostly for school work and some private hires. That rule has been kinda postponed with the oldest buses now in their 18th year but that's down to covid delaying everything. I wonder when we'll see Dublin Coach no longer running Setras or Vanhools!

• Advertisement

I agree it's a lot when the work is as heavy as these vehicles are working, don't get me wrong. For those it's 15-18 years I would expect with much lighter work towards the end of their lives of course.

I know some operators in the UK (mostly independents or family owned) who have run vehicles for 20 years from new, 12-15 hours a day, 6 days a week and the condition of those vehicles, both with the bodywork and mechanically would put many operators newer fleets to shame.

They would never ever apply some of the sticking plaster, DIY solutions that the likes of Dublin Coach use or send vehicles out with missing panels, bodywork or huge cracks in them.

Advertisement