Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yep. Antibody testing is key in getting out of this lockdown. It’ll give the final answer on the virus.
    People will be certified as carrying the antibodies and will carry some kind of ID that can be electronically read.
    RFID to be used on humans...?

Be very handy for calf feeders and FTY in parlours, never go hungry again:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Yep. Antibody testing is key in getting out of this lockdown. It’ll give the final answer on the virus.
    People will be certified as carrying the antibodies and will carry some kind of ID that can be electronically read.
    RFID to be used on humans...?

Nothing would surprise me at this stage. But I think that it will be found that the virus was much more widespread than the official figures suggest.

This is worth a watch.
    https://youtu.be/p_AyuhbnPOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    How will cyclists cope now? 2km loops?

Looked out of the house this morning to a group tipping down the road

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Looked out of the house this morning to a group tipping down the road

Ah cyclists are exempt from all laws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭visatorro

are couriers still operating? I wouldn't imagine so even if you could guarantee no contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

visatorro wrote: »
    are couriers still operating? I wouldn't imagine so even if you could guarantee no contact

Couriers and post still operating. They are an essential service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    Thankfully I was able to get on the 7am train (no questions asked) and am home now.. will be locking myself indoors for the next 2 weeks anyway just to be safe!
    O
    Main problem with most of us stranded here at the minute is is that domestic travel is banned during the lockdown so similar to Ireland theres one main hub in the country and if youre outside of it well good luck to you.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ordered my prescription yesterday and my parent's ones. Went to pharmacy this morning. Only 1 person allowed in at a time. Queue of about 4 people outside. No hassle. This us the new norm

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1126956/

List of essential business, farm supply limited to call out/delivery whatever that means?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1126956/

List of essential business, farm supply limited to call out/delivery whatever that means?

It also said animal feed stores essential outlets to stay open

• Advertisement

It also said animal feed stores essential outlets to stay open

Bit of read between the lines there

Men are more likely to catch this, more likely to end up in hospital, more likely to need treatment in ICU and more likely to die.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/26/men-are-getting-sicker-dying-more-often-covid-19-spain-data-shows/

Men are more likely to catch this, more likely to end up in hospital, more likely to need treatment in ICU and more likely to die.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/26/men-are-getting-sicker-dying-more-often-covid-19-spain-data-shows/

Still waiting for the silver lining there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bit of read between the lines there

It's open to interpretation what ever way you look at it

Was talking to my neighbour today. She's carer for her parents. The mother goes to centra every Saturday morning religiously. She's not allowed to go today. Neighbour said it's like a child having a tantrum. I said I'd go for her or they are now doing a delivery service. It's very hard for some elderly people to realise they have to stay home for their own good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Cycling will be banned in a week and the 2km ‘exercising’ distance will be brought down to 1km or 500m.

Horse riding will be banned also.

Don’t ask me how I know...

Seen a lad yesterday running in a field of winter corn, he was following the tram lines, better than running in circles around the headland I suppose

Seen a lad yesterday running in a field of winter corn, he was following the tram lines, better than running in circles around the headland I suppose

Great way to damage an ankle. I know

14 new deaths. Average age of these deaths 81 years of age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

14 new deaths. Average age of these deaths 81 years of age
    See that and average age of today’s confirmed infected 46
    God help all those families

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Anyone know why they’re calling it the median age instead of average?

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »

Because they are giving the median age and not an average which is different.

Are you asking why they call it the median or why are the giving the median instead of average?

Median would be the most common grouping of a sample. They're more or less telling us the deaths were from a nursing home predominately.

Median and average can be very different.

Median and average can be very different.

Yes,
    If there were 5 deaths a new born and the rest aged 70, 76, 79 and 80 then the median would be 76 but the average closer to 60 the one very young anomaly would massively influence the average but have little effect on the median

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m not sure interesting is the word to use in this case, maybe relevant.

People in their 80’s often wouldn’t even be ventilated with “ordinary” flu in Ireland.

Daughter got a letter from the local shop were she works in case she's stopped on the way to work. It's 500m up the road, chances of being stopped would be fairly slim

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m not sure interesting is the word to use in this case, maybe relevant.

People in their 80’s often wouldn’t even be ventilated with “ordinary” flu in Ireland.

Would they for pneumonia though??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The patient's best interest would be the only criterion for decision on medical intervention. The problem that may be coming is that the decision will revolve around the limited access of the equipment.

• Advertisement

Would they for pneumonia though??

Often not, often in the 80’s it’s just not done, many just would have DNR agreements from the family.

I kinda never thought of it until herself was saying it.

Often people in their 80’’s with DNR’s wouldn’t even come into hospital if they had pneumonia. If they were in a nursing home for example they would be made comfortable there. It would depend on overall health though. But typically those in nursing homes are already unwell and that’s why they are there if that makes sense.

These are the people who might die from flu in an ordinary year anyway.

I think the big point to get across is dont get sick at the moment

I think the big point to get across is dont get sick at the moment

Don’t even get a toothache!

Daughter got a letter from the local shop were she works in case she's stopped on the way to work. It's 500m up the road, chances of being stopped would be fairly slim

The small one at the cross

52000 new cases in new York today :eek:

• Advertisement

52000 new cases in new York today :eek:

52,000 cases total confirmed to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

What's the current status of farmers that are over 70? What will happen when they are stopped on the road going to an outfarm or collecting a few supplies?

What's the current status of farmers that are over 70? What will happen when they are stopped on the road going to an outfarm or collecting a few supplies?

Your allowed out for farm purposes

Though 2 ould lads in lane from me,are staying in as much as possible,seen 1 niece in feeding calves for one....i looked at a cow calving for the other (both are outside farms,so noone living there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭alps

The over 70's really really need to stay isolated....its a responsibility of society, their families and neighbours to stand up to the plate and cover for them...whatever about an outfarm...ffs don't let any over 70 neighbour of your go for supplies..

Third world countries are going to be decimated by this.

Looking at photos from Mumbai yesterday and it’s just shoulder to shoulder stuff still.

Read an article about a township in SA amd locals are just ignoring the rules. The journalist asked one guy why he was sitting in the street drinking beer, he said he was better there because he lives in just one room with five other adults !

Then there’s USA, the richest third world country in the world. They are just a basket case. I think trump wants to open everything and just burn through the infection in a really short time, accept the collateral damage in deaths and then get the economy back on track so he has something to crow about at election time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Looking at photos from Mumbai yesterday and it’s just shoulder to shoulder stuff still.

Read an article about a township in SA amd locals are just ignoring the rules. The journalist asked one guy why he was sitting in the street drinking beer, he said he was better there because he lives in just one room with five other adults !

Then there’s USA, the richest third world country in the world. They are just a basket case. I think trump wants to open everything and just burn through the infection in a really short time, accept the collateral damage in deaths and then get the economy back on track so he has something to crow about at election time.

I don’t think it will affect 3rd world countries as bad re death rates then 1st world countries, overweight and obese people account for over 60% of people that need icu treatment due to coronavirus not a problem in the likes of Ethiopia our South Africa, population age is much lower to.....
    Modern health care systems in first world countries ability to keep older people alive with serious underlying health issues for years combined with a huge % of populations been overweight and obese is
    presenting the perfect breeding ground for the virus and it’s severity on counties like Italy and Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It may be a case in some third world countries those with underlying issues may be gone anyway as healthcare is poor so deaths from covid 19 may not be a massive increase or perhaps effect those in higher classes more. Hard to know really.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    I don’t think it will affect 3rd world countries as bad re death rates then 1st world countries, overweight and obese people account for over 60% of people that need icu treatment due to coronavirus not a problem in the likes of Ethiopia our South Africa, population age is much lower to.....
    Modern health care systems in first world countries ability to keep older people alive with serious underlying health issues for years combined with a huge % of populations been overweight and obese is
    presenting the perfect breeding ground for the virus and it’s severity on counties like Italy and Spain

Agree on the obeasity point.
    But a much higher number of malnourished and so immune compromised people.
    Close living and poor adherence to isolation will have a tsunami of critical patients which will result in desperate death rates.

Trump could be right, there's no proof that the who is right. All the testing is focused on the most serious cases

Trump could be right, there's no proof that the who is right. All the testing is focused on the most serious cases

Letting thousands die to protect the economy?
    Do you seriously think that could be the right approach?

Surely No sane person seriously thinks like that.

Letting thousands die to protect the economy?
    Do you seriously think that could be the right approach?

Surely No sane person seriously thinks like that.

There is no solid proof that the virus is as deadly as made out to be across the population. At this point in time no efforts have been made to survey the percentage of the population that have already contracted the virus with little to know symptoms.
    The testing is unreliable and deaths reported are deaths with coronavirus. Until we get antibody sampling across the population, there remains a significant potential for this reaction to have been the biggest fcukup in history

There is no solid proof that the virus is as deadly as made out to be across the population. At this point in time no efforts have been made to survey the percentage of the population that have already contracted the virus with little to know symptoms.
    The testing is unreliable and deaths reported are deaths with coronavirus. Until we get antibody sampling across the population, there remains a significant potential for this reaction to have been the biggest fcukup in history

Proof?
    Have you seen the news?
    Italy?
    Spain?
    Death toll rising here?
    Overwhelmed health services worldwide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

emaherx wrote: »
    Proof?
    Have you seen the news?
    Italy?
    Spain?
    Death toll rising here?
    Overwhelmed health services worldwide?

Re health services their was never any extra capacity in the system to deal with an event like this, the mass hysteria of social media ramps it up too with politicians and senior civil servants terrified to act decisively and quickly enough to of put in place travel bans months ago and locked down borders like what was needed.....
    If this virus had originated in Africa and was largely confined to their with a similar death toll and infection rate as of today 1st world governments and their populations wouldn’t be batting a eyelid, but now it’s on our doorstep and effecting us it’s a doomsday scenario.....
    The likes of dengue fever/malaria and tb kill in the millions yearly without fail but as it’s largely a third world problem the 1st world carries on as normal

Ok.
    This doesn’t really merit a reply.

It’s people minimising and talking down the effect that undo all the good work being done by everyone else.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Re health services their was never any extra capacity in the system to deal with an event like this, the mass hysteria of social media ramps it up too with politicians and senior civil servants terrified to act decisively and quickly enough to of put in place travel bans months ago and locked down borders like what was needed.....
    If this virus had originated in Africa and was largely confined to their with a similar death toll and infection rate as of today 1st world governments and their populations wouldn’t be batting a eyelid, but now it’s on our doorstep and effecting us it’s a doomsday scenario.....
    The likes of dengue fever/malaria and tb kill in the millions yearly without fail but as it’s largely a third world problem the 1st world carries on as normal

Not sure what your point is here?
    But mass hysteria fueled by social media, what a load of BS. It's a very really issue that is here and now not Ebola in some third world country.
    I don't know about you but I've become quite attached to some of people who may well be wiped out by this disease.

No health system anywhere was built to cope with an event of this scale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement