Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

2Fyyj3t.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Nice of them to finish it tomorrow , just when my new hardware is due to arrive .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Damn my housemate dragging me out to carry sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Nologogo

Have to say, I've played the arse out of the beta, but I'm looking forward to getting back to 64 player metro and working on some proper team play and tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

You don't need c4 to mess with people when you have elevators. I got the giggles a few times from standing at C pushing the buttons for the lifts and then backing out before the doors close. After a few turns of the lifts going up & down empty, people started coming down to see what was wrong. :D

Less fun to do at the other flags because there's less lifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Has any info on any of the stock-game maps been released yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Couple of old pictures here, haven't seen anything new.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Recorded last night, having in a full squad in the Venom is great craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Off topic but Ktulu/Blitzkrieg... Metallica fans?

On topic;

Will there be any surprises for the full game? I have watched so many videos that I know all the gadgets and guns but is there any chance some curbballs will be thrown in?

ktulu fix your annotations, they appear far too early in that video :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well i played the life out of the beta and really enjoyed it.
    So many WTF and hilarious moments that only BF can deliver.
    Roll on release day, Premium edition and DLC pre ordered.

mozattack wrote: »
    Off topic but Ktulu/Blitzkrieg... Metallica fans?

Hell yeah I am :)
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    ktulu fix your annotations, they appear far too early in that video :D

Cheers dude! Fecking YouTube acting the bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Will there be any Irish servers like that craggy island one?

We will have a Gaellords server on Day 1 yes! Hopefully Craggy will be back too, Airblazer will need to confirm that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

The Beta

What I liked.

The MAP
    The Siege of Shanghai Map was very open and yet had a lot of complexity. The map offered a lot more vertical options when it came to flanking and attacking when compared to Battlefield 3 Vanilla maps.

Control points A, B, C (before destruction), D, and E can be captured from different vertical levels. I really liked A Point as a small two storey car park with its four entrances (front, back, left, and right) and five stairways and a vehicle ramp. This is a major step up from Battlefield 3 Vanilla. When I think of Seine Crossing and Grand Bazaar I remember the limited flanking options and the messy choke points. Siege of Shanghai has two choke points in it's two bridges and they are wonderful.

A three tier choke point. Its road path having a hill for limited cover from forward and rear. The road also has small side and centre partitions giving a little extra protection. The pedestrian path is covered by the road and protects against sniping. The pedestrian path also has two entrances and two exits with the entrances offering a stationary AT and anti vehicle bollards. The last path is the water, you might not think of it as a path but any escape may be worth it and now that you can use your pistol in the water it can always be a last desperate method of getting out of trouble. Never in the map did I feel I was going into the meat grinder like it did in Grand Bazaar.

Siege of Shanghai always gave me options for my play, whether I was attacking with my tank or retreating with my IFV, it always felt fluid and my goals acheiveable. There while there were many ways to attack an objective it didnt feel like it was over complicated like BFBC2's Arica Harbor with all its little buildings and windows.

The Weapons
    I think the weapons handled well for the the most part. Counterknifing is nice. Kitting your sidearm was a nice touch. I love hitting a tank in the right place and causing a mobility hit. The C4 back with the recon and the Support getting the Airburst was a nice trade and will mix up the play nicely.

In my opinion, the XM25 is a game changer. It offers that extra attacking option that the support have been missing in Battlefield 3. Support now has the ability to shoo away enemy air support, he also has the ability to push enemies back from behind cover or rooftops. Playing in Domination mode, roof campers would get a severe dose of the XM25. I even found myself locking onto the walls and ceilings to get the range I needed to hit someone where I couldnt get their range normally through multiple cover. This is a new weapon for a new game, that will offer new strategies.

The Graphics
    I liked the two toned aspect of the map. When the C skyscraper falls the dust that covers the cars and roads and buildings does change the look of the map. Not that I could appreciate this as my 6950 was not up to the task.

The Deploy Screen
    This is a nice upgrade and a lot more involved than the last mess of a deploy screen that was in Battlefield 3

What I didnt like

The "new" Frostbite 3
    So I played Battlefield 3 on medium to high with mesh at ultra and I am always past 60fps. Battlefield 4 halved my FPS. I had to lower my resolution, I had to lower my settings, I had to wait for two patches, and I barely hit 60fps. I am now running at 40-60fps in most situations. These maps are not that more advanced than aftermath's maps so why is it so bad?

Why am I looking at buying a 290x? No other game I play is pushing my 6950, so why should this game warrant me spending €300-€600 on an upgrade to play at 60fps+ (I would consider a 280X ~€300 but I am waiting to see the price point of the 290x) I would forgive this game of many things if i didnt see the framerate spike as I was trying to shoot an enemy player and miss. Its probably my aim but **** me when it happens am I not enraged. "Battlefield 4 has stopped working"

The Battlelog
    OF all the things that they didnt have to mess with and they make **** of this. No Platoons until 2014. Could they not coy and pasted the code over and simply change a few headers and assets. I have re-installed chrome and all my internet runtimes and it still I have to use Firefox to view my battle reports. On IE it claimed was I am using a tablet internet browser.

The Weapons
    As much as I like the XM25 there are a lot of issues with the other weapons of the beta.
    Stinger are useless, RPGs are now the default weapon against air support. I dont think that it is a good idea for RPGs to be allowed to lock on to enemy air support. I think it is dumbing down of the engineer class. Why bother carrying a stinger when an RPG does the job better?

The transport chopper's miniguns are pathetic in comparison to the .50 cal weapons on the vehicles. I dont understand what worked fine in the previous game had to be broken/changed for this one.

Verdict

I am not excited for this game.
    I cant bring myself to pre-order this game without looking at a new GFX card where it would be a waste for any other game I have.
    I cant pre order when I didnt like most of the Battlefield 3 expansion packs. I like Battlefield 3 Vanilla , Back to Karkand and Aftermath. The "classic" or rehash map pack is going to be the second expansion so the old favourites are not in the preorder.

There is still nothing else like it, for all its faults, for all my complaining, I'll probably pre-order and buy that new AMD mantle card. It is ten new maps, couple of new weapons, and an extra four maps about a six weeks after launch.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    We will have a Gaellords server on Day 1 yes! Hopefully Craggy will be back too, Airblazer will need to confirm that one

Yeah, it's looking like there will be one. :)
    So I played Battlefield 3 on medium to high with mesh at ultra and I am always past 60fps. Battlefield 4 halved my FPS. I had to lower my resolution, I had to lower my settings, I had to wait for two patches, and I barely hit 60fps. I am now running at 40-60fps in most situations. These maps are not that more advanced than aftermath's maps so why is it so bad?

Why am I looking at buying a 290x? No other game I play is pushing my 6950, so why should this game warrant me spending €300-€600 on an upgrade to play at 60fps+ (I would consider a 280X ~€300 but I am waiting to see the price point of the 290x) I would forgive this game of many things if i didnt see the framerate spike as I was trying to shoot an enemy player and miss. Its probably my aim but **** me when it happens am I not enraged. "Battlefield 4 has stopped working"
    You cannot give out about optimisation or crashing issues in a beta.
    The Weapons
    Stinger are useless, RPGs are now the default weapon against air support. I dont think that it is a good idea for RPGs to be allowed to lock on to enemy air support. I think it is dumbing down of the engineer class. Why bother carrying a stinger when an RPG does the job better?
    It's already been confirmed that the RPGs won't be able to lock on in the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Stingers are far from useless. The RPG lockon required a recon to help you. I can parachute into Obliteration and be hit a heli twice before I reach the ground. Yes, its usually not a kill but I've sunk a lot of helis since most pilots tend to plough straight in a building or water after a few hits.

But I did kill almost as many people with the AA missiles in the Beta as I did in all my hours of BF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ordered aswell last night the Deluxe supa de dupa mario version or whatever its called,I am not excited as I previously would have been for a BF game. You will still get 12mths+ of game time and good craic on TS for €70 which is good value for money.

Roll on release date.....shame one of my girlfriends is giving birth to C4 this week so game time will be limited.

I am glad that the RPGs will not be able to lock on in the full game.
    You cannot give out about optimisation or crashing issues in a beta.

This I dont agree with.

Aside from the fact that "Something went wrong" was nightmare for some Battlefield 3 players. The random death/suicide with no explanation that was "Bad Luck". Battlefield 3 was a very stable game for me. It wasnt a very stable game for many of the players that I play with. It did iron itself out for our little group after "Close Quarters"

We were a month away from launch of Battlefield 4 and we are treated to a two week Beta. We were told that this is a recent release version of the game. Now a month away from launch and I would be *assuming* that most issues would be minimal and affect a small minority of players.

There has been two patches to the Beta to fix the FPS issues and the loading/deploy issues. People who had the minimum system requirements could not play this game. There has been a huge frenzy of posting FPS issues to the Battlefield 4 forums. There are people doing worse after these patches. There are people claiming that Windows 8 solved all their problems yet it certainly didnt solve mine. Gaming witch doctors tried to ply their best mojo but there were no easy answers for many players. People have been told to use Beta graphics card drivers (which can be a scary thing for an nvidia card user after beta driver mishaps).

They have 14 days to fix these.

The floating TOW launcher. The Boat that respawns at C can respawn in the most stupid of places. We have the re-appearance of Mr Stretch who first graced us in the Battlefield 3 beta, a bug from a previous game's beta. The scoreboard blocking the buttons on the game end screen. The missing icons for the weapon unlocks. There are nine other maps that we havent played and havent the chance to find out all their bugs.

They have 14 days to fix these also.

What people call a beta can mean very different things. The SC 2 beta was very playable on my PC and they spent the time doing balance changes. The Guild Wars 2 beta was very playable as well, even if the servers and overflow servers were bursting with players.

DICE have not been the masters of scaling and optimising their programs. With 14 days to go I cannot assume that it is all going to be fixed and infact it is my thinking that DICE are forced into these release dates to have their product ready for sale for the peak shopping season. I find it easy to blame EA for all this.

A beta does not shield a developer from criticism if they have only 14 days to fix a large amount of issues. If the game was being released in December then I would be more confident that everything would be fine, that bugs would be fixed, the engine optimised for the PC market.

If I repaint the spare room and do a half arsed job should I stick up a sign saying "Temporary"? Ill then fix it little by little once a month for the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The Beta is a 2 Month old build at least its not optimised at all the beta was released to load the network and to get marketing off the only in battlefield Videos being released

They dont have 14 days to fix in truth the game had to be finished 3-4 weeks ago for certification theyve already dealt most of the bugs that they're own QA teams pick up either in the final build or a Day 1 patch

Remember all the weird bugs in the bf3 beta and how most were gone from the final build

The Sc2 beta wasnt a beta it was code complete but because of the Competitive nature of the game it would have been catastrophic to release it unbalanced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

One thing that bugged the hell out of me was getting stuck on random objects, it was most prevalent on C after the building came down but happened all over the map.

NTMK wrote: »
    The Beta is a 2 Month old build at least its not optimised at all the beta was released to load the network and to get marketing off the only in battlefield Videos being released

The current beta build is about 6 months old.

From what I've heard, the BF3 beta a month before release was 10 times worse than the BF4 beta has been, so I think people need to wait and see what the full game brings.

Why should they work to fix some of these issues in a 2 week beta when they have already (mostly) been fixed for the full game. If you enjoyed the map & the game play, there is absolutely no reason not to get the full game. It will obviously be a more polished game. Fair enough there might be some bugs but as always, they are fixed in time. Battlelog is MUCH better than the last iteration. Who really uses the platoon's page in fairness?

Personally think stretchy man should be left in the game, that's absolutely hilarious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Can't believe your moaning that your three year old graphics card can't play a new game on full settings in a beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Why should they work to fix some of these issues in a 2 week beta when they have already (mostly) been fixed for the full game. If you enjoyed the map & the game play, there is absolutely no reason not to get the full game. It will obviously be a more polished game. Fair enough there might be some bugs but as always, they are fixed in time. Battlelog is MUCH better than the last iteration. Who really uses the platoon's page in fairness?

Personally think stretchy man should be left in the game, that's absolutely hilarious!!

Jesus no please fix stretchy man, every time I see him I pause to look and get shot :pac::pac:

I am glad that the RPGs will not be able to lock on in the full game.

This I dont agree with.

Aside from the fact that "Something went wrong" was nightmare for some Battlefield 3 players. The random death/suicide with no explanation that was "Bad Luck". Battlefield 3 was a very stable game for me. It wasnt a very stable game for many of the players that I play with. It did iron itself out for our little group after "Close Quarters"

first week of the battlefield 3 beta you would fall through the ground if you hopped over a wall in the first stage of metro in the green before bomb site A and die.

Going prone near the lake allowed you to crawl *under* the map and shoot people.

I couldnt play the bf3 beta initially and had to turn the upns settings in my router off to actually get into a game.

Unless you had a nvidia card or the newest (for the time) radeon cards the game ran like sh*t.

We were a month away from launch of Battlefield 4 and we are treated to a two week Beta. We were told that this is a recent release version of the game. Now a month away from launch and I would be *assuming* that most issues would be minimal and affect a small minority of players.

you were also told that this beta would only be open to players with a 64 bit operating system despite the game itself being released for both 32 bit and 64 bit. So I think that was a major hint that this was not going to be a product with a wide range of optimisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    first week of the battlefield 3 beta you would fall through the ground if you hopped over a wall in the first stage of metro in the green before bomb site A and die.

Going prone near the lake allowed you to crawl *under* the map and shoot people.

And don't forget the " whew , just made it into cover " but according to the game you still get shot .

Can't believe your moaning that your three year old graphics card can't play a new game on full settings in a beta.

I can moan all I like about it, my two year old card cannot play the sequel adequately on low settings on a lower resolution. I never r_picmip 6 for my love of pastel colours , it was always for the higher fps. I'm not breaking 60 here and it looks like BC2

I love how posters are pulling build dates out of hearsay. If it was an older build then wouldnt DICE have said so, wouldnt there be something official, like a recorded interview quote or a tweet, or a an official forum post. It would allay my concerns if someone had something official on this because I had looked and couldnt find anything.

It seems odd that in these days of massive content management and delivery systems that we would get an older build, an outdated "will be patched on Day 1" version. Why not the latest build? IF DICE were going use this to promote their game why not have the best running version. Why ask all those posters with low fps spikes and 100% CPU usage to upload dxdiag reports and drawgraph screenshots.

People can be upset or disagree at what I posted but I had problems running the Beta, I didnt like this Beta, this is my opinion.
    The BF3 Beta ran like a dream for me just like the launch game version. I was recording videos and guides for it. I took holidays for it's launch. It was fantastic.

I wish this game is "ready" for launch. I really dont want to have to buy a new Mantle graphics card just so I can enjoy this game.

I dont have my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I can moan all I like about it, my two year old card cannot play the sequel adequately on low settings on a lower resolution. I never r_picmip 6 for my love of pastel colours , it was always for the higher fps. I'm not breaking 60 here and it looks like BC2

Agree with almost everything you say but that part.

If you want to play the latest games you need the latest ****. You want to make videos so you need the the mid to top range latest ****.

Thats common sense. Thinking you can do it without is naieve.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »

If you want to play the latest games you need the latest ****. You want to make videos so you need the the mid to top range latest ****.

Thats common sense. Thinking you can do it without is naieve.

It the only game this year that has failed to run properly and by a long margin. I understand it is an unfinished product.

Given the recommended specs are for a 7000 series AMD, I would offer leeway and lower the settings but even lowering them dramatically has not solved my issue of a slide show in a fire fight or when in close quarters combat. I am running a high end 6000 series which is overclocked. With the difference of the cards and the difference of the settings I should be at an optimal framerate. I hope they optimise the game for launch.

Is that not common sense?

I am not making videos with BF4 Beta as being a 64bit only port my software doesnt allow it but the performance hit it would probably push the framerate sub 30fps. I only mentioned videos as the passion I had for BF3 spilled into making videos and streaming.

Where is the naivety?

I wish this game is "ready" for launch. I really dont want to have to buy a new Mantle graphics card just so I can enjoy this game.

Advertisement