Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I keep this updated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Monday 13 Jan

Today I am on for an easy day so:

Lunch time 45 minute swim working on various technique pointers from previous coached sessions

Tuesday
    Lunch time - 1 hour on turbo

Warm-up
    1 minute over threshold followed by 1 minute under *5 - watts = some at 360-380 watts one effort at 440 watts
    3*8 minutes at just below/at/just above threshold so below 330 watts, at 330 watts and above 330 watts
    cool down

Problem - pushed to hard in warm room = thumping headache

40 minute run - decent tempo

Wed
    Swim - 1 hour 20 mins

Main set:
    6*50m bands
    5*400m alternating pull bouy and paddles/normal swim
    5*300m as above

Headache still at me from yesterdays turbo so 300m of the above swim so i dont overdo it again

Turbo - 1 hour again a pretty easy effort

Thursday

Interval running with club. about 1 hour 15 mins total. Main set:

5 mins on circa 3.50min per k - 1 min rest,
    4 mins on 3.50 per k - 1 min rest
    3 mins on below 3.50 per k - 1 min rest
    2 mins on ""
    1 min on ""

This was repeated * 3

Found this a difficult set, not running as smoothly as I was before Christmas but hopefully as weeks go on it will get easier!

Friday
    1 hour on turbo no hard efforts as legs tired from Thursday run

1 hour 40 min swim. Main set was:

250m with 25m easy, 25m sprint 25m kick
    4*400m alternating with 50m fast 50m slow and every second 400m with paddles
    3*300m same as above
    6*50m sprints
    10*50m with 50m sprint 50m easy

Also some other stuff that i cant remember now. have to say i find these Friday sessions harder than the wednesday mornings. on fridays i am on the front the whole time whereas on wednesdays i am maybe 6 people back from the front in a draft and although the times are quicker the swimming is easier

Saturday
    Planned big outdoor cycle didnt happen because of rain. So 3 hours on the turbo and i think this was the hardest turbo effort i have had so far.

First hour and 40 mins or so was spent mainly on 20 minute intervals where i built up from low 200 watts to FTP efforts of circa 320 watts by the end.

Next hour or so was spent doing about four or so 7 minute or so efforts where i built up to 300 watts over about 4 minutes and then spent about 2 and a half minutes above FTP >330 watts if i could. This was followed by a cool down of about 15 minutes

Most pleasing aspect was that after 2 hours or so on the bike my power was still good and efforts of circa 300 watts very sustainable - big improvements over the last 6 months.

Sunday
    Went hill/off road running in Stradbally woods with wife - 1 hour 30 mins or so. Nice variation and i could tell that it had been a few weeks since i have been running up a hill

Swim - circa 40 minutes, not too much to say about this. Did a few 200m efforts and a few 100m efforts and some PB and paddles work. Legs were gone so not the best swimming i have ever done but still i think swim frequency is important so good to get in the pool

Weekly totals

Swim 4 hours 25 mins
    Cycle 6 hours on turbo
    Run 3 hours 25 mins

total - 13 hours 50 mins or so

Not the biggest training week in terms of volume and certainly i feel like it was an easier week overall

Monday

1 hour run - recovery effort

Tuesday
    1.5 hours on turbo, again legs not recovered from weekend so modest efforts

0.5 hour run again at modest effort level

Wednesday
    1.5 hour swim. Main set:

6*400m alternating PB and paddles and normal swim, first 50m at sprint pace rest at steady
    6*300m as above off on 5 mins
    a few fast efforts at the end

Not sure of the total distance overall but something about 4.5k i suspect. Including warm-up it was on the board as 5k but i missed about 2 100s of the warm up and 2 100s at the end of the set.

I think about this session all week and it really hangs over me on a Tuesday, happy to have it done. I think it is the early start that gets me.

Half hour run and half hour turbo

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Club run session - approx 1 hour 15 mins total

Main session was to be:

5 mins at 3.45 mins per k pace
    5 mins 3.50 per k
    90 seconds break
    5 min 3.55 per k
    5 mins 4.00 per k
    5 mins 4.05 per k
    90 seconds break
    5 mins 4.10 per k all the way out to 5 mins for 4.25 per k

Friday

1 hour turbo - some hard intervals included

1 hour 15 mins swim. Felt the hard turbo and Thursdays run session so out of gas and not my greatest day in the pool

Saturday

2 hour turbo - some pretty tough intervals and quite the hard session. 31st birthday today so loads of cake and out and about etc so not much training in hours but plenty of intensity

Sunday

2 hour turbo

35 minute run - legs felt like moving in treacle, called an end to the suffering and ate more cake....

Monday
    Turbo - 1 hour of recovery type work as legs felt crap yesterday

Tuesday
    Swim - 30 mins at lunch - no Garmin so no idea what i did in terms of times/distance. Just focused on technique

run - club session approx 1 hour in total. Main set

5 mins easy
    5 mins hard which for me would be circa 3.45mins per k
    2 mins easy
    5 mins hard
    5 mins easy
    5 mins hard
    2 mins easy and so on

Wednesday

main swim - approx 1 hour 30 mins total time. Main set

40*100m off 1 min 45 secs.

Thursday
    turbo 1 hour 20 mins in total, interval work

45 minute easy enough run.

May have a bike-run (40k TT - 5k run) club race on Sunday and would like to give it a good effort to compare my times to last year so i want to be reasonably fresh so hence the easy running and low volume this week so far.

• Advertisement

Friday

Easy day today. 30 mins turbo + 30 mins run

Swim

200m w/up
    6*50m build
    100m sprint
    100m with 75m sprint 25m easy
    100m with 50m sprint 50m easy
    100m sprint
    100m with 75m sprint 25m easy
    100m with 50m sprint 50m easy
    400m pull bouy and paddles - steady pace
    200m cool down

Like i said an easy day!

Saturday
    45 mins on bike - easy rest for Sunday morning

Swim
    200m w/up
    4*300m pull bouy & paddles each one quicker than the last from easy to hard
    100m sprint
    100m cool down and out.

Sunday
    Club bike TT and 5k run

40k - 2 mins quicker than last year and it was a much windier day so overall i was happy with that. Course is 2 loops of Roundwood to Calgary Hill and back, very undulating course and its hard to get consistent power output with big efforts followed by descents where the power drops away. Need to work more on this sort of course as only a few courses are flat TT type courses for actual races and i think i never get to my real potential on that type of course.

About 15 people there for the TT, started last in 30 second staggers. Rode well for first 20k and passed all and had 4 min lead at turn for 2nd 20k loop. Finished i think about 8 mins faster than the rest so cant have been too bad.

Did the 5k run off the bike at a moderate effort as i want to put in some good hours next week. Not a bad first outing for the year.

Monday

Lunch - turbo 1 hour - easy work, left calf?! tight, tried to work it out a bit

Evening - 50 mins of intervals. Main set:

5*4 mins at 330-340 watts with 3 mins rest in between

legs not quite as powerful as i would like but yesterdays TT is still in them

40 minute run with wife - easy effort as calf still tight

start of what i hope to be a decent week of work

Tuesday
    woke up with calf still tight and hamstring now tight..hum...

1 hour in the morning 8am-9am on my turbo spinning out the leg while stretching it, foam rolled it after and felt the world better

lunchtime - 30 minute swim in Monkstown Bluepool, might as well be in the kiddies pool for all the work i get done, lane packed and slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww swimmers. 30 minutes of slow swimming and looking at the plasters float by me in the pool and i had enough and called it a day

Evening - saw the storm coming in and decided to go out for my run before it got really sh*t, 1 hour, leg still tight but improving - kept the pace easy not that the wind and rain encouraged me to do anything else

Tomorrow AM is swimming, 400m TT is lined up as well as some wetsuit swimming which is a change

Wednesday
    Swimming - about an hour in total, not sure on distance swam but it would be small as it was a testing set. highlights are a new 400m PB of 6.16 and a new 100m PB of 1.22. Progress is steady.

Thursday
    Run - about an hour or maybe a bit more in total. warm up, main set and cool down. Main set was 6*1k with 2 mins 30 secs rest. Running is still improving but still its not great:

1k - 3.50 per k - easy on the first one as i was making sure my calf that was tight was not going to give in
    2k - 3.32 per k
    3k - 3.41 per k
    4k - 3.48 per k
    5k - 3.49 per k
    6k - 3.49 per k

bit disappointed for the pace to fall off but I havent done 1k repeats in a long time so hopefully i will get stronger at maintaining a higher pace, as it was i suffered a fair bit to even do the later kms. Running rhythm was poor and i think this made it harder, also lactate building in the upper body and arms which is a first for me

Friday

Turbo 1 hour - some moderate efforts legs felt ok after the Thursday run for a change

Swim - 80 minutes. main set:

40*50m, 1 50 fast 1 50 easy off 1 minute
    20*50m Pull bouy and paddles
    6*50m sprint

Saturday
    50 minute run with wife - easy enough

4 hour turbo - going easy mostly. must be the most tedious session i have ever done....

Sunday

easy 2 hour turbo

30 mins easy pace run

weekly totals:

swim - circa 3 hours or so
    bike - 9 hours
    run - 4 hours

weekly totals - approx 16 hours

Monday

Recovery day - 30 min swim

40 min run

Tuesday

Busy work day and main swim set tomorrow so only turbo, just over the hour of intervals. have to say that i am happy at how comfortable i was during this, feel much more comfortable at above 330 watts than i have in the past - good to think that improvements are happening

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/443913482

Wednesday

AM - swim 1 hour 30 mins

main set

(200m*3 fast + 100m recovery) * 4 very second one with pull bouy and paddles - also some other random stuff, like one fin on right leg with one paddle in left arm

PM turbo - hard intervals for about an hour

10 min warm up
    5 mins max power test - 398 watts
    10 mins recovery
    about 30 mins of other intervals looking for 330 + watts
    2 mins max power test - 415 watts
    10 mins cool down

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/444355308

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/444355322

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/444355328

Thursday 13 Feb
    Run with club - about 1 hour 15 mins in total i would say

warm-up - main set - cool down

Main set 6*(500m at 5k pace 30 secs rest, 250m at 3k pace 20 secs rest, 250m at 3k pace 20 secs rest)

• Advertisement

Friday
    Busy with work so only swim - about 1 hour 10 mins in total

Saturday

Run - 1 hour
    Turbo - 3.5 hours
    Run 50 mins

Sunday

2 hour easy spin on bike with wife, out to Powerscourt Gardens and back, to bring an end to 2 hard weeks of training

Next week is recovery week

Monday
    Recovery week - 50 minute swim in Trinity pool - like this pool as it is the proper temp for swimming not like westwood which is like a bath. For the first time in a long time it felt easy to swim and it felt quick - no garmin with me so no idea what times i was doing but it felt good. Funny this as my legs are so tired and are actually sore after Saturday - usually swim like crap when my legs are tired.

Pilates class - 1 hour

all in all happy to be on a recovery week

Tuesday

Run - easy enough 1 hour - legs not back to normal yet still need more recovery days

Wednesday

Swim 1 hour 30 mins, over 4k in total, cant accurately remember main set at this stage

30 minute easy run

Thursday
    Run - about 1 hour 15 mins in total. main set
    3*3km, first 2km in about 3.55 per km pace, final km as fast as I could followed by 3*500m sprints

friday

Swim - about 1 hour 30 mins. main set

4*(200m fast, 100m fast, 100m fast, 200m easy with one paddle and one fin on)

Saturday

easy cycle - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/449259322

3 hours 30 mins or so

Sunday

Repeat of Friday evening swim less a few sprints that i did on Friday at the end and didnt bother with today- about 1 hour 20 mins or so

Monday

AM - Turbo easy effort 1 hour

PM - Run 25 mins, not much but was working all day and home late

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What's the story with one fin and one paddle on? Are they both on the same side or oppposite? You leave them on for the full set or just the easy at the end?

pgibbo wrote: »
    What's the story with one fin and one paddle on? Are they both on the same side or oppposite? You leave them on for the full set or just the easy at the end?

hi pgibbo

there were 4 sets so:

200m *right fin left paddle,
    200m *left fin right paddle,
    200m *left fin left paddle,
    200m *right fin right paddle

only for the 200m easy. i think the aim is to get a feel for what each side is doing to help with balance and also to help core. PK prescribes it in his sets, used to dislike it but its actually getting better for me now.

cant really tell if it benefits overall swimming for me, gains are so slow and its hard to tell if any one drill is helping me or not. the way i look at it now is that it cant be hurting me so i just get on and do it, if it wasnt doing that it could be normal swim and i enjoy the variety that swim drills bring and they help to get the volume done

• Advertisement

Tuesday

1 hour lunch run - aim for HR of below 150

PM - turbo 1 hour 15 mins - easy effort as tomorrow is a big swim, apparently 40*100m which to me is like hell on earth, endless swimming with fcuk all rest

Advertisement