Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I keep this updated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Wednesday

Easy day -75 min spin on the bike with wife

Thursday
    circa 1 hour bike - the duathlon bike route for the weekend was changed so i went out for a recce around the part of the course that was not on the busy main road, its undulating and not a great surface but i am feeling strong so it should suit me better than most. i hope i dont regret saying that now... i didnt try the bit on the main road as its busy and narrow and i avoid those roads like the plague

30 min run on treadmill - with 5*1min fast. right leg a bit tight so didnt push on after 30 mins

1 hour swim, swimming this week is not going great and it feels like i am missing something. also my arms are not as strong as they were and i am getting fatigued quicker which is not good.

Friday
    got to the pool late this morning so i didnt have much time. main set was 10*100m off 2 minutes, every second 100m with pull bouy, my week of malcontent with my swimming continued as i came in on everything from 1.33 to 1.30 but no better which is not great and a bit back on where i was even last week, maybe this morning i just wasnt as keen, i dont know. having said that there is not as big a difference in my speed with pull bouy and without as there used to be but i dont know if that is actually going to help me any when i pull the wetsuit on which for me is what it is all about. i dont think i would ever get into the pool if i wasnt racing whereas i would happily run and bike for pleasure

Sat
    nothing much, quick turbo and run

Sunday
    Race- duathlon 3k 20k (not quite) 3k

woke up to spilling rain and wind but thankfully the wind eased off for the race start. went through the usual pre race warm-up and lined up to start.

Race started off and as usual a few guys who can run well went on from the start. i ran ok for me and stuck to my planned 3.45 per km finishing the three k per the clock in 11.08 but timed at 11.15 for some reason. This was comfortable enough and in hindsight i probably should have aimed a bit higher. winner did it in 9.29 so he was really moving.

onto the bike and a new bike course compared to the previous 2 races in the series, i recced the course during the week and thought it would suit me and in some respects it did as i caught a few guys on hills and flats but there was two guys hovering ahead of me, i would real them in a bit on the hills and flats but lose frustrating amounts of time around bends and going downhill so it took me longer than it should have to catch them. i am way too tentative on bends and going downhill and lost what was likely a considerable time because of this, this was compounded by the wet conditions and i think a granny would do better.

the bike course then looped out onto the main road and up a hill, i knew this road was long and flat for a while and i ate up the ground to the two in front of me really quickly and sighted a guy way up the road that i then set about catching. I think i ride well where my speed simply relates to my power but not well when i actually have to descend or corner. looking back the old course suited me much better in that respect as it was flat with little in the way of corners or descending.

anyway i reeled the guy ahead in steadily but the course then exited the main road just when he was about 50 metres ahead of me and i was back in a climbing and descending section and he got away from me a bit. off the bike and into t2. i recall it spilling rain during the cycle and i was very wet and cold getting off the bike as the temp was 4c according to my car. 31 mins 30 for the cycle, winner did it in 30.05, on the old course the last day i was only 10 secs off his time and my power was similar so i think the increased difference is probably a combination of my poor riding and perhaps him being stronger, hard to say really.

i got a pretty rude surprise when i tried to run and found that i was totally seized up from the cold and it took me 2k to actually warm-up and for my back to ease out and let me run properly, by this time i lost two positions to the two guys i passed during the bike and finished in 8th in 57 mins more than 5 mins i think behind the winner.

realistically i need to dramatically improve my running to compete at duathlon and that is a work in progress that is not going to improve overnight, more than likely a few years work if i am honest with myself. no more duathlon this year but i enjoyed the races even though i had a real mixed bag of performances and i think it is a good test to see where my training has got me too and how far i have to go.

the focus is now on the double olympic in triathy, i have one race before hand in Carlow which is a sprint

Monday

AM: 3k swim, am really tight in my upper body and legs after yesterdays race, i think the cold really effected me and i swam terribly, worst swim of the year but i stuck at it and by the end i had loosened up a bit and was swimming a bit better. i will benefit from the session even though it was a torture to swim. i think it took be about 75 minutes

Lunch: 45 mins on turbo to freshen up the legs a bit after the race and the legs were surprisingly strong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I hope your going to be training right up until Carlow? I'll be there too, so if you could arrive to the start as tired as possible that would be nice.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    I hope your going to be training right up until Carlow? I'll be there too, so if you could arrive to the start as tired as possible that would be nice.

ha yeh i have a week in sands beach and coming back midweek b4 the race, not a total training holiday as its my main holiday of the year too but i will be well trained nonetheless!

i am going to spin down to carlow and take a look at the course over the next few weeks as its only an hour cycle at most from my new house and am really looking fwd to the first tri of the year! some people have been swimming in the barrow already but its a bit early for that yet

ill see you at the race so!

Seen on the race website they said they have changed the bike and run course. Can see how the run course if Different but not the bike. Let us know how you find it, from map my ride it looks like a gentle climb to the turnaround and then back down to T2. I'd say it will be my first openwater swim of the year too, usually only do my openwater swims at the races, never end up in the water apart from them.

[B]Monday PM

Long easy run - 21.5k. pace ranged from 4.45 per k to about 5 mins per k, the vast majority at 4.55 or so. legs were getting sore at about 15k from yesterdays race but was a long way from home in the middle of the countryside and it was getting dark so little option but to keep running....! should be ok in the morning hopefully

Tuesday
    busy with work - nothing done

Wednesday
    2.65k swim
    1 hour turbo, main action 10 mins (1 min on 1 off) then 4*4 mins 30 secs at 350 watts
    10 km easy run with a mate, he is not at his fittest so it took a little less than an hour

Thursday
    8km run with 2km w/up then 1km fast 1km easy * 3, running on the triathy run route so not the best surface, 1km were done in 3.49, 3.41, 3.40. Meant to do more but nature intervened

1 hour 15 mins swim easy. there was a junior swim club in the pool and one of the guys was doing his 50s in on 30 secs and it looked easy for him, a really nice swimmer to watch

• Advertisement

Friday
    knocked off work early and went out on the TT bike, the plan was to do a lap of the triathy olympic bike course to try to work out what wattage i will require to come in around 2 hours 10 for the bike, why 2 hours 10mins, well that seems to be a reasonably achievable time while hopefully leaving plenty in the tank for the run.

i did the loop at a moderate effort and 255 watts was enough for 1 hour 9 mins, i think with race wheels, tubes, tyres, aero helmet, tight clothes and a less windy day that say 260 watts average would bring me in around 1 hour 5 mins for the loop and on target then for 2 hours 10. i think this is doable and should leave me in ok shape for the run. i will try it out in the next few weeks to see (not all the gear just two loops at the wattage and then a run)

the other thing i figured out on the cycle was that i need to get a new saddle, i have been trialling an Adamo and its too wide and left me very sore so thats coming off the bike ASAP

cycled in and home from athy and did the loop, total time about 2 hours

went in for a swim, forgot speedos, went home got speedos went to pool and was fed up when i got there, did 45 mins, a few drills, some easy lenghts and 7*100m off 2 mins, fastest 1.25 slowest 1.32

day done

Saturday
    3 hours 15 cycle with 45 mins at tempo rest easy enough
    10km run about 45 mins or so

Sunday
    about 2 hours 50 mins on the bike, easy enough, checked out the carlow triathlon sprint course
    30 mins swim. was really tired in the pool and got out after 1.5k

the weekly total looks like this
    swim 4 hours 30 mins or so
    bike 9 hours 50 mins or so
    run 4 hours or so

Decent hours this week considering i did nothing on tuesday, probably my highest volume week of the year as life gets a bit more settled in the new house. not surprising that i was tired though at the end of it

Monday
    2*10km run - i think the average pace was about 4.35 per km. i just felt good running and was surprised that it felt easy enough, my normal easy run would be 4.55 per km and i think i will revert back to that pace as i have been sluggish since monday and the legs are a bit tired at the moment

swim for about 50 minutes. legs were tired, did 10*100m with pull bouy in on 1.30 off 2 mins

Tuesday
    off - work was busy

Wednesday
    10km easy run, 45 min easy swim

Thursday
    1 hour turbo with 3*8mins moderately hard efforts
    11km fartlek run

Friday
    3k swim, main set 20*100m off 2 mins in on 1.35, swimming horribly today as i spent much of the last 2 days sowing the lawn and pulling and dragging stuff around so upper body stiff

hope to get out for spin on bike later

Friday

PM:80 mins on bike easy enough

Saturday
    1 hour outside on bike, rain, 2 hours on turbo

5km run, meant to do more but was not happy with my energy levels when cycling, felt a bit tired, so after 5km on the run when i wasnt feeling any better i was passing my gate and stopped for the day. resolved to go to bed earlier and try to get a good sleep

sunday
    2 hours outside on bike, 1 hour on turbo, feeling fresher than saturday

1.6km swim, 100m w/up then 15*100m broken down into 5*100 in on 1.30 off on 1.50, then 10*100 in on 1.30 off on 1.45 (took a break on repeat 10). more or less hit all the times ok and the whole thing was comfortable enough. got a new pair of zone 3 rubber shorts and wore them today and they make things so much easier than normal swimming so will try to use them only when i am tired

Monday
    1 hour swim
    90 min run

tuesday
    1 hour swim

Wednesday
    2 hour turbo. First hour or so was half IM effort, total of 62 mins, about 6 mins of that time was easy at 200 watts, about 1 min was nothing as i was pricking around with the turbo, average for the time was 262 watts but i varied the intensity to try to match something like an outdoor cycle with dips and rises, did not go above 340 watts or below about 240 for the periods that i was working. the balance of the 2 hours was warm-up, harder intervals and the time between intervals and a cool down

happy enough that something between 260-270 watts should be manageable for HIM or my double olympic in Athy, time will tell. i intend on doing the Athy course 80km in the next few days, if the weather improves, at the target wattage and try a 10km run at race pace off the bike to see how it feels. i am always producing better power on the turbo than outdoors so i have to take that into account too.

overall it was a good session and i am happy enough

Thursday
    lunch: main set swim 6*200m off 4 mins

1 3.15 normal
    2 3.15 normal
    3 3.10 normal
    4 2.58 pull bouy
    5 2.59 paddles
    6 2.50 pull bouy and paddles

PM: 20km easy run

Friday
    2km swim, a few drills, nothing hectic. tried a 200m with the zone3 shorts just to compare to the 200m sets i had done on thursday and came in at 2.55, leg cramped up during it so not a fair comparison, will try it again some other day

1 hour turbo easy enough, took adamo saddle off bike and put on a fizik with a groove up the centre, much better! the wide front part of the adamo just does not suit me

Saturday
    3 hour turbo, warm up for about 20 mins then:

15 mins at HIM effort
    3 mins easy
    20 mins at HIM
    3 mins easy
    20 mins at HIM
    5 mins easy approx
    5 mins at sprint effort

total of 1 hour of actual effort (i.e. the HIM + sprint time) = average of 282 watts

remainder of the time at about 200-210 watts so easy enough

Sunday

Something between 2.30-3 hours on bike with a 10km TT effort at the end
    30 min swim
    10km run easy

monday
    8km run, did some intervals but legs tired out so abandoned after 5*750m and decided to take it easy for rest of the day and Tue/wed probably.
    50 min swim easy

Tuesday
    swim - legs still heavy so i swam mainly with the pull bouy and bouyancy shorts. overall a still a bit tired and i think i will take the rest of the day off.

tried 2 400m tt this morning. with the bouyancy shorts was 6.01 and with the pull bouy 6.05. bit disappointed not to go under 6mins for these but on a day where i am fresher i think i will do it in the near future. i havent done 400mTT in a long time. the last one i remember doing in 2014 in a 25m pool i was 6.28. with a draft in a 50m pool i think about 6.16 with a pull bouy in 2014. so i think my swimming has improved a bit and when i am feeling fresher i think i can go under 6 mins for the first time in the next while.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    on my holidays so easy 8km run and 3km swim with 20*100m in 1.30 off 2 mins

Thursday
    cycled for 3 hours
    3km swim
    10km run with 3*1km at 3.50 per km

Friday
    Cycled for 3 hours 40 mins
    swam a good bit (cant remember what i did now but it had intensity to it as i decided to swim hard every day for the week)

Saturday
    3 hours 30 mins on bike and more swimming (again i cant remember but it was a long time in the pool)

Sunday
    2 hours on bike, i went out with a local group and it turned into a bit of a race which i was happy with as i wanted to do an intense longer effort on the bike so arrived back at the hotel happy. last day on the bike as i wanted to remain on civil terms with the wife and there is only so much cycling she will do (she did the 1st 3 days and i kept the bike for an extra day)

4.2km swim 800m warm-up then 60*50m with 20mtrs fast 30 easy then c/down, this was again with a local group and i joined into their swim set so thats why i actually remember that one

Monday
    10km run with 4*1km at 3.45 per km
    2km swim, i was starting to get tired in the upper body with all the swimming i had done

Tuesday
    wedding anniversary - went out early for a 8km run
    in the evening i did some swimming, about 1.5km in total.

i did a 400mTT in by zone 3 shorts again and came in at 5.55 so thats the first time under 6 mins for me for a 400tt except when i tried it last year in a wetsuit

Wednesday
    flying home - nothing done

Thursday
    lunch - got the wetsuit out and brought it into the local pool for a go, unfortunately wetsuits are not allowed in the pool but the attendant said i could do 6 lenghts if i got in straight away did them and got out which i did. so i did 3*100m at a race effort and clocked:

100m no 1 = 1min 20 secs
    100m no 2 = 1min 17 secs
    100m no 3 = 1 min 15 secs

i put down the improvement in times just simply to warming up as i was literally into the pool and go. wetsuit is now a bit too big for me so if anyone wants a slightly used orca 3.8 in size 7 let me know, will swap for orca 3.8 in size 6!

rest of the swim was 10*100m with pull bouy

PM - 1 hour turbo with some short sharp efforts, and 7.5km run with some short sharp efforts

Friday
    Swim:

400m steady,
    4x100m steady, with pull bouy, 10sec rest
    4x50m (15m fast 35m easy) with pull bouy 10 sec rest
    10x50m with pull bouy (25m fast 25m easy)
    200m steady, paddle & bouy.
    200m easy.

20 min jog

tomorrow i am planning a 3 hour moderate effort on the TT bike

Saturday

Slightly more than 3 hours on TT bike, moderate effort, power was good, while i have a race tomorrow it is not the goal and thus an easier day was not the option given that the A race is in 2 weeks

Long time no update, two races and much training done!

Sunday
    i did the Carlow sprint triathlon as a warm-up for triathy, i never used a race as training before so this was a new departure for me.

i swam ok and got it done in 11 mins, i never really felt that i got going as the water seemed too cold to me and i did not enjoy it one bit, still i got out ahead of some guys i never beat b4

i lacked my usual spark on the bike but put in a decent shift and made up some good ground in the early stages and got up to about 3rd, a few guys came by but i was still in touch more or less with the lead getting off the bike, was happy enough with this effort

the run didnt go so well for me as usual and i finished 22nd overall i think. still for a training race i was happy enough and my swim and bike seemed to be coming around nicely

Monday:
    Swim:
    Steady swim after the race yesterday.
    200m easy
    2x100m steady, pull bouy 10sec rest
    2x50m pull bouy, 15m fast 35m easy, 10sec rest.
    6x100m steady pull bouy 10sec rest
    6x100m steady paddle pull bouy, 10sec rest
    200m pull bouy steady
    200m swim steady.

Ride:
    Easy 90min

Tuesday.
    Swim:
    200m steady
    4x50m, 15m fast 25m easy, 10sec rest
    8x25m fast with pull bouy 15sec rest
    100m paddles pull bouy, solid.
    100m easy pull bouy, 15sec rest
    200m easy swim

Run.
    15min steady, 15min moderate, 15min solid, 5min easy

Wednesday.
    Short brick: Bike and Run straight after bike.
    Bike:
    10min easy,
    6x1min hard 1min easy
    4x5min solid effort, 3min easy
    Run:
    15min steady

Thursday:
    Swim.
    400m easy
    4x100m steady, pull bouy, 10sec rest
    4x50m (15m hard 35m easy) 10sec rest
    100m steady pull bouy 10sec rest
    200m steady pull bouy 10sec rest
    300m steady pull bouy 10sec rest
    400m steady pull bouy 10sec rest
    300m solid paddles bouy 10sec rest
    200m solid paddles bouy 10sec rest
    100m solid paddles bouy rest
    100m swim.

Bike.
    2hrs steady ride.

Friday.
    Run.
    Long Steady run.
    1hr 40min steady and hilly, just aerobic and comfortable.

Saturday
    Long ride, short run off it.

4hrs, steady pace

Run:
    20min steady off the bike.

Sunday
    Swim.
    3km - Swim Athy 3km = 49 mins - strong current

Turbo.
    10min easy.
    30x1min hard 1min easy hard but not crazy.
    5min easy.

Monday:
    Swim:
    200m easy
    2x100m steady, pull bouy 10sec rest
    2x50m pull bouy, 15m fast 35m easy, 10sec rest.
    6x100m best you can pull bouy 10sec rest
    6x100m steady paddle pull bouy, 10sec rest
    200m pull bouy steady
    200m swim steady.

Run:
    Easy 20min.

Tuesday.
    Swim:
    200m steady
    10x25m fast with pull bouy 15sec rest
    400m easy swim

Bike:
    hill reps - 15 mins w/up
    Then 2 hill reps, in and out of the saddle to get warmed up.
    40mins up and down pushing a big gear in the TT position

Wednesday.
    Run:
    1hr steady and hilly run.

Thursday:
    Swim.
    400m easy
    4x100m steady, pull bouy, 10sec rest
    4x50m (15m hard 35m easy) 10sec rest
    400m steady pull bouy 10sec rest
    100m swim.

Bike.
    1 hour steady bike

Friday.

Run:
    20min easy

Swim.
    200m easy
    2x100m steady pull bouy 10sec rest
    2x50m, 15m fast 35sec easy, 10sec rest.
    200m easy
    8x25m (12.5m fast, 12.5m easy) 15sec rest
    400m easy

Bike:
    15min easy
    5x 1min comfortable aerobic efforts
    10min easy

Triathy double olympic race

i had been looking forward to this race for a long time. its local to me and i think the longer distance would suit me better. i had aimed at the beginning to finish in about 4hrs 30 mins and i thought that was the maximum of my current abilities. i was less concerned about my run in this race as i dont have to be particularly quick to do well just keep moving and suffer.

anyway the preperation went well and i felt strong, all indicators were pointing towards a good race.

race morning and i got up early and ate breakfast, lashed the bike into the jeep and arrived into transition around 7.15, racked the bike and laid out my runners etc. time flew and despite the late start it felt like no time before i was walking down the ramp for the swim start. i had done some thinking and decided to position myself front and left at the swim start.

race start and i went off at a good effort for the first 100m, i had one either side and quickened it up a bit to get away from the swimmer to the left and move in against the bank for the easier flow in the river. i saw one pink had ahead and that left me in 2nd spot. the swim was pretty uneventful thereafter, i kept the pace up but was in my comfort zone throughout, one swimmer came by me just b4 the finish and i was 3rd out in 47 mins.

i went through T1 quickly enough, put socks on as i was feeling the cold and legged it out and hopped on the bike. it took me a few km to warm up a bit and get the blood flowing, i was in 4th position at the first turnaround in Castledermot and realised i was well clear of 5th. i kept the effort comfortable and caught 3rd at the 2nd cone on Mageny arriving back into Athy at the end of lap 1 in 3rd.

i stayed in 3rd for the rest of the bike and just focused on eating, drinking, staying aero and not going above 300 watts. i figured the guy in 1st was actually a relay as he was in full skinsuit so i discounted him and i was actually in 2nd in the real race. i was putting some time into the lead guy but not much but was dropping the guys behind in a big way. i finished the bike in 2 hours 10 mins and was entirely comfortable the while way, so happy getting off the bike. best bike split aside from the relay guy - happy with this

now to my weakest link which is the run, i brought a small bottle of coke with me on the run to provide me with something to turn too that tastes good and provide me with energy for the run. i just tried to run as evenly and consistantly as i could, not give up which i wanted to do on occassion and give myself something in return for my training. anyway no one caught me from behind as my lead was big and i finished in 2nd position, totally wrecked but really happy with myself ;-)

finishing time 4hrs 32 mins - so i got the best out of myslef

Sunday
    1 hour easy on bike

Monday
    2hrs steady on the bike

swim:
    200m easy
    2*100m steady Pull and paddles 10 secs rest
    2*50m with 15m fast 35 easy 10 secs rest
    8*100m steady pull bouy, 10 secs rest
    6*100m steady pull and paddles 10 secs rest
    200m easy

still a bit sore from the race at the w/end

Tuesday
    5km run easy

Wednesday

400m steady
    4x100m steady 10sec rest
    12x25m fast with pull bouy 15sec rest
    400m easy swim

Bike:
    15 min steady
    Then 2 hill reps, in and out of the saddle to get warmed up.
    40 mins up and down the hill pushing a big gear in the tt position about 60 RPM
    10 min easy home

Thursday:
    Swim.
    200m easy
    2x100m steady, pull bouy, 10sec rest
    2x50m (15m hard 35m easy) 10sec rest
    300m best pace paddles bouy 10sec rest
    100m swim easy

Plan is for a run later

Seems to be a big move towards the swim, how you finding it?

Any more races planned for the year?

joey100 wrote: »
    Seems to be a big move towards the swim, how you finding it?

Any more races planned for the year?

Hi joey - your season seems to be starting well - best of luck at the w/end!

swimming is grand just a bit boring. i have started going to sessions with a plan on paper now and stick to that whereas i used to go and do what i wanted to do which lead to some improvements but also some sessions abandoned from lack of motivation! i am hoping to tick the swimming up until i get to about 16km per week over the next while, maybe i wont get that far but time will tell.

i have certainly seen an improvement but i never had access to a pool consistently until i moved out of Dublin so that has surely helped. i used to get out of long sessions wrecked but now i get out and barely notice that i did an swim at all.

i plan to the HIM in Athlone as my next A race, i will probably sign up for a race next weekend, a sprint tri so as not to hamper my training for Athlone too much. probably the Blessington Sprint as i could cycle home from it after the race in about 90 mins or so

other than that and based on Athy i think the longer races where the run pace is slower may yield better results for me, also my bike seems in good shape so longer races on the bike would probably be to my benefit too. i am cognisant that i am basing this hypotheses on one good long race in Athy and one poor enough short one in Carlow though so time will tell! i kind of enjoy the short races but then in a funny way i like the suffering and senses of acheivement in the longer ones towards the end

• Advertisement

Thursday PMRun

Run:
    15min steady
    2x15sec fast 15sec easy
    2x30sec fast 30sec easy
    2x1min fast 1min easy
    2x1min 30sec fast 1min 30sec easy
    2x1min fast 1min easy
    2x30sec fast 30sec easy
    2x15sec fast 15sec easy
    15min easy

Friday.

Swim.
    200m easy
    2x100m steady pull bouy 10sec rest
    2x50m, 15m fast 35sec easy, 10sec rest.
    15x100m solid with 5sec rest,
    15x100m solid paddles bouy 5sec rest,
    400m easy

Bike:
    10min easy
    6x30sec fast 30sec easy, build each one.
    30x1min hard 1 min easy
    10min easy

Saturday.

Run:
    10min steady
    15x3min solid 1min easy.
    10min easy

Sunday.

Bike:
    4hrs steady and hilly.
    Run:
    15min easy off the bike.