Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Cocktail Tables Restoration

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Worth just mentioning as well as you say you havent done anything with these before.

Do not touch anything inside of these when powered on! Also on the back of the screen there is a kinda suction cup (anode cap) has a wire that goes into a thing called the lopt, do not go near these without reading up on how to discharge an arcade monitor. the thing is lethal even when turned off! It can hold a charge and build up a charge even when not plugged in for a long time. its something like 30,000 volts dc and can potentially kill you.

have a read of this, www.stickycarpet.com\pinx\md.html

Hopefully you wont have to do any discharging but if you do make sure you read up on it before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jimmypl

will do, thanks and good night :)

that link doesn't work :/ however i did go the site and pinx's restores but cant find the same address as you put there, so not sure what was on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Works fine for me; Although I notice it has backslashes instead of forward slashes so some browsers might be fussy....
    http://www.stickycarpet.com/pinx/md.html Same link...

Thanks "Dale Parish" i will look at it after work :D (the link works)

i got the machine working :O its soo cool however there are some little glitch's but i will upload a video after work :)

• Advertisement

Jimmypl wrote: »
    Thanks "Dale Parish" i will look at it after work :D (the link works)

i got the machine working :O its soo cool however there are some little glitch's but i will upload a video after work :)
    Cool , how did you get it going ?

Hey KeithGeo this is some video of the machine now.

With this one (Galaxian) all i did was change a few fuse's (here in Australia we don't have fuses in the actaul plug.)
    I also had to by-pass a faulty on/off switch on the machine , it than started up perfectly :D

however there is an issue with the animations only 2 types of blue appear when they move meaning that the enemy's become less visible to not visible at all (the yellow ones)

i also need to bring the image down the screen so i can see the scoring correctly
    (we tried various dials but they did everything but center the screen (including giving me a little jolt ;p, less painful than a zappy pen or fake chewy packet)

anyway here is the video with that awesome sound turned right up .. so be aware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5nYx3ubd20&feature=youtu.be

the waves are just some weird effect caused by the camera.

Hey thats cool glad you got it going, with regards the colour being off id say id say it could be a couple things, best case scenario, the CRT just needs a degaussing, if you move these arcade crts around the colours can become washed out. You can buy a degauss wand off ebay for fairly cheap. when the machine is on, try rotating it and see if it makes any difference to the colours, its something to do with magnetic fields or something i cant remember.

Have a look at this vid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xboO2JUvtBM

It could also be that some of the capacitors on the crt chasssis need replacing, or maybe see if there are colour pots on there for RGB, could be on the end of the neck board on the back of the tube. again be carefull with these, its tight in the back of a cocktail you dont want to be doing anything if its turned on, i wouldnt risk it anyways!

I tried those RGB dials and they work but they don't change the ships visibility
    i will look at that video but if you know of anyway to center the screen? there is only one dial on there that does something (makes the screen shake like a jelly) the rest seem not to work (guessing there the ones to center it...)

Anyway, Again Thanks Heaps

They probably are the ones you need, do they twist and nothing happens? they might need to be replaced, or checked that the solder on them isnt gone (Im guessing here to be honest, but its what id look at if they are doing nothing)

• Advertisement

Yerh they dont do anything .. on the other machine i am able to calibrate it with similar placed dials
    but these ones don't work

putting it on our list of what to get the guy we know, to look at..

the RGB dials and the gauss thingie i believe wouldn't change the alien enemy's not displaying correctly because they basically turn off when in animation mode and back on when they land.. they're not faded, the screen can work the colours perfectly..

my guess is its the jamma board (if thats what you call them) however it looks fine to me.. there is some things that we think might be the problem (they're like slugs with lots of little teeth..) i think maybe one isn't connecting properly.. (they push in. have clicked a couple back in properly)

will also mention the capacitor idea to the guy..

i also noticed the explosion animation for the enemy's has only white colour..

anyway its evening again.. so i cant do much with them at the moment.

EDIT: they do twist, just nothing happens

D: just tried to play it today pressed the start for 1 player.. after playing the sound and enemy's appearing.. it glitched up and shows random things all over screen and weird noises.. also it says Bad ram 1 .. and one time it said bad ram 2..

any ideas where these are exactly? any help would be great..
    i will go looking also..

Sounds like an issue with the game board you are having now. Wouldnt really know how to fix that, if it was me id take off all the connections make sure they are clean, clean the pins on the board where it connects first. reseat and see if it makes a difference. maybe check the chips on the board, if they are ones that pop out make sure they are all seated in correctly.

I had a quick mess around with my space invaders last night. previously i got smoke when it turned on and a glass fuse blew. I lifted a ceramic resistor up off a cap it seemed to be touching, the smoke was coming from this area. I put in a new fuse and turned it on. the fuse still blows but no smoke this time. Im getting neck glow on the tube of the screen, but still no sound or picture.

Heres a vid of the fuse blowing when powered on! exciting stuff! haha..

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

You'll need to get schematics for the board; find where RAM 1 and RAM 2 are and order compatible chips and solder the new chips in.
    Best done by a professional to avoid any damage.

Hey thanks, due to the thing pooping itself i took the board and out and had a real good look at it and found 5 or 6 chips stuck onto a heat sink and two of the teeth one each on separate chips were bent and not in the slot .. so i fixed them up ..

but it didnt help the screen, still got the horrible noise and ram error message anyhow, just checked the thing again.. for one last look and as i was about to turn it off i noticed one of the new fuse's i put in was glowing orange..(the wire inside anyway..)

so i took it out and put the old fuse back in (it was originally in next to it and there was none in this place..) the fuse blew instantly.. less spectacular than yours .. more like a burn out.. So i put in a 5 amp fuse(was a 2 amp) and the whole thing is working perfectly now :D

the chips that i fixed up made all the colours come back in the animations explosions and aliens :D

the only thing that isn't properly done now is the screen adjustment.. its a little to high.. or low from 2nd player veiw

any who, i am wondering, if the fuse isnt supposed to be 5 amp (we dont know for sure it didnt have one in that place when i got it)
    if its not supposed to be 5. will it harm it? or would it just not work at all? because its working perfectly now

btw Dale Parish there is no schematic for this exact version of galaxian its a Taito i can only find Midway version However i think for the Ram errors its the same.. thanks anyway ;D

How did you go with the plates? did the website guys email you back?

Yeh he emailed me back, he is out of stock on the new ones and not getting anymore in. :( he offered to sell me two old ones but I already have a new player 2 and the player 1 he had was in worse condition than mine. I enquired if he had any new corner glass clips too but he doesnt, he said he is out of buissiness now and just has bits lying around himself.

D;
    my friend maybe be able to do a high res vector for you, you can than get a cutout of the plate you have already on another piece of metal ( unless you don't mind putting it over the original) and than get the vector printed onto it by a sign printing company.. thats what i am going to do.. as my plates no longer exist on this planet ;p

if you would like that i can ask my friend if he is willing to do a vector as they take a little time to do.. :)

Also i think that the website you linked to me had corner clips?(maybe they were out of stock) otherwise i know a couple Australian ebay sellers that have some (that don't look like mine though)

appreciate the offer, the guy on the site i linked said he should get more in after christmas so i think ill just hang on, my one isnt too bad anyways so i can wait and see if i can pick one up down the road. thanks for the offer though!

Ill check ebay austrailia and have a look, id be kind of picky when it comes to buying these id want the exact same shapped ones, they are out of stock on that other site too alright. I bougt the last 4 screw on the legs that go into the bottom of the metal legs off him aswell.

• Advertisement

yeh they are not like my ones either

mm.. if u have no luck u could always get a metal fabricator to make some (using the ones you have, i see in the picture).. probably the most expensive option however..

yeh, im happy to wait and see if he gets more in stock, ive plenty of other stuff to do on them in the meantime. priority is trying to get one going at the minute. Im debating putting a 60 in 1 board in one of them instead of trying to get both of them going. id do that on the moon base one. no way im doing that to an original space invaders.

lol exactly what i am doing :p looking right now for kits!,
    on the second one it has a universal harness and has 3 buttons and all direction control, and no control panel plate at all..
    it has Xevion or somthing on it atm parents say it used to have frogger .. anywho

This is what im looking at for it..
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARCADE-PCB-CLASSIC-GAMES-MEGA-PACK-JAMMA-/170939929620?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item27ccd05414

that and* some other various things..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jimmypl wrote: »

Immediate major downside to that kit is the stick and buttons, they don't look very good at all.

You could probably buy all of those parts separately for cheaper too!

Maybe, in Australia its hard to find things cheap... i can only find more expensive worse looking ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ah that kits not bad value really. buying bits and pieces separately can cost a fortune in postage !!
    Those controls are fine for those 60-in-1 boards, although a 4 way restrictor plate would be nice for some of the games.

Oh and two speakers is a bit overkill for a mono board :)

I wouldnt buy a kit myself, id get all the parts seperate and just use the control panel plates that are on it. i doubt you will find them in a kit. Ill need to get everything, a crt included because the neck is snapped off the back of the one in my moon base.

• Advertisement

yerh i didnt think you would get plates in the kit ;p
    i have been look for more kits and other stuffs the best looking one is the same price as the others.. but doesnt have a gauss wand..
    anyway tommorow i will have a look at the buttons and stuff in both the machines and see which ones look the best.. compared to them..

Advertisement