Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Cocktail Tables Restoration

Options
  • 26-09-2012 10:50am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Gonna post this in a seperate thread so its not ruining the Arcade 24/7 one. Any suggestions or help on this would be cool. Next thing im going to do is remove everything from the insides so just the shell is left. Im worried about touching stuff in it, does anyone know if anything in here will be holding a charge? I know i have to discharge the monitor, but anything else in there dangerous?

Kevin did you remove all the insides from your cocktail cab??

I got lucky last week and managed to pick up TWO cocktail cabs off a mate of the lad I bought the Street Fighter 2 cab from. So here they are in all their glory. I believe the Taito Space Invaders one came out around 1978 so its pretty old and its WELL used. They are in fairly bad condition so it will be a lot of work. Both still get power though.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

There is no glass on the Moon Base one, its gone totally and the Glass on the Space Invaders is in a bad way, full of scratches. I’m guessing i’ll replace the glass on both. Ill get all the metal parts and legs sandblasted and powder coated, clean up the wood. maybe get the black base’s sprayed black.

Initial first look and I can see that the screen in Moon Base is fecked totally, the neck of the crt is broken off and sitting in the bottom of the cab. Both power on but neither have anything on screen, a slight flickering on the space invaders.

I checked the fuses with my multimeter and there is one fuse gone in both. So i take the good fuse from Moon Base and stick it in the space invaders cab in place of the one that’s gone.

3.jpg

When I power up the space invaders i get a pop and smoke from an area filled with a few capacitors. The good fuse blows.

4.jpg

Talking to the lads over on Jamma+ they suggest that ceramic resistor is sitting on one of the caps and could be causing the issue, as you can see in the photo some of the blue wrap on the resistor seems to be melted away a bit. So I reached in and gently lifted that resistor up off the cap. Unfortunately as of now, I have no quick blow fuses to replace the ones that have blown so Ive bought a few 30mm 2Amp ones off eBay.

Until they arrive there is not much else I can do. I did have about 30 quid sitting in my pay-pal account so I bought a repro CP fro the player 2 side of the cab, couldnt find player one at the minute but ill keep looking

5.jpg

Its a pity i couldnt find a player 1 side in stock but ill keep my eye on the site and hopefully he will get them in down the road.

I drilled out the old locks on the coin door and found a shiny 10p in the box. I forgot how HUGE the 10p coins where! I think im going to keep that and leave the coin door on 10p per game and just use this coin to play it.

I have a feeling that this cocktail restore is going to take a lot of time! Im determined though to restore it back to its original state with the original game inside working. There is no way im going to tear apart a piece of gaming history like this.

As for the Moon Base one, im not sure what to do with it, id love to restore both, but because the monitor is gone in it, im not sure what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

i should be able to sort out a 14 monitor,get them in form time to time in the poker machines,if you wanted to restore the moon base,also have a few parts from one somewhere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thanks Mitch! Ill be on to you in a few weeks, getting married now in 4 weeks so it will have to wait until after that. I have that power supply you gave me too, turns out it wasnt that causing the issue so my one is still grand. had to get the flyback and cap kit done on the chassis out of that one, its working fine now.

Im going to concentrate on doing what i can with no money for the next few weeks so going to take it apart and get it ready for spraying, sandblasting. one of the legs is kind of off on the space invaders one, i dunno if it can just twist back straight or ill have to sort that out too some how.

keithgeo wrote: »
    I drilled out the old locks on the coin door and found a shiny 10p in the box. I forgot how HUGE the 10p coins where! I think im going to keep that and leave the coin door on 10p per game and just use this coin to play it...

If you're gonna keep the coin mech operational (props for how retro awesome that is BTW) why not try using something like this:

Taito_2009_Space_Invader_Arcade_Token_Front.jpg.w300h300.jpg

Check out these links, there are some places that do standard and custom tokens online. You might get lucky with shipping from the US, and it would be seriously cool to have a bunch of tokens of a unique size that were the only way to activate the machine.

http://digthatbox.com/arcade_token_gallery_2012.html

http://www.tokensdirect.com/FASTstandard_designs1.htm

This would be my personal fave. I think it's on ebay at the moment:

5098772014_bd4865dbeb_z.jpg

They are pretty cool alright, ill look into them, love the Flynns arcade one. id say that would be lost on most people though!

They are pretty cool alright, ill look into them, love the Flynns arcade one. id say that would be lost on most people though!

Who gives a flying f*ck about most people? I love obscure stuff. I play games most people have never heard of, my fave t-shirt has got "I'm what willis was talkin' bout" on it and i quote lines from 20 year old simpsons episodes in everyday conversations. People inevitably don't get it, but every now and again, somebody appreciates it.

As long as one retro nerd complimented me on that Flynn's Arcade token it'd be money well spent :D

• Advertisement

Good point, Screw those guys! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I think I should really get one of those tokens, because I actually am The Son of Flynn!

Cant wait to see how these turn out Keithgeo, considering the age they dont look too bad but its say they still need buckets of work done to them

I dont mind doing the work, its part of the enjoyment once you have them finished. I would consider the restoring of the tables themselves the easier part to me. the hard part is the internals.

My main worry now, is that i need to take out all the insides to fix the tables, but im not sure if anything in there will be dangerous. I know the monitor will be but the rest im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Keep us posted on the restoration, really interest to see how this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I have a Moonbase cocktail (the PCB is kaput, sent it off to Andy's arcade but he doesn't have the schem for it.. so goosed really :pac: ) Nothing in there held any charge for me, including the TV. The fuses were 1.5 and 0.5 IIRC, will double check tomorrow

• Advertisement

I have a Moonbase cocktail (the PCB is kaput, sent it off to Andy's arcade but he doesn't have the schem for it.. so goosed really :pac: ) Nothing in there held any charge for me, including the TV. The fuses were 1.5 and 0.5 IIRC, will double check tomorrow

Thanks a lot. you should check over on jamma+ some of them over there do be posting about repairing pcbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

http://jammajup.co.uk/manuals/moon-base.pdf
    schematics etc here...
    might be of help.

Best of luck with the restorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

yeah good luck man..Looks like you have your work cut out for ya:)
    Fair play for going for the original restore, I'd hate to see that Invaders ripped up and mamed with an LCD screen.
    You're right,It's iconic

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Just checked there the fuses beside the TV are in vertical position; the top one is 1.5A and the bottom one is 0.5A

there is 2 moon base control panels on ebay at the moment,
    I also found a 14" monitor if you need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sorry to derail slightly, but you havn't come across a working Hantarex Polo 25" chassis at all Mitch have you?

Doh!! forgot you where looking for 1,mad busy at present will have a look tomorrow and will pm you

there is 2 moon base control panels on ebay at the moment,
    I also found a 14" monitor if you need it

Thanks mitch! I cant seem to find those on ebay?

Ill have to wait a couple of weeks on the monitor if thats ok? up to my eyes at the minute sorting out last minute wedding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jimmypl

Thanks mitch! I cant seem to find those on ebay?

Ill have to wait a couple of weeks on the monitor if thats ok? up to my eyes at the minute sorting out last minute wedding stuff.

Hey there, i have just acquired 2 of these machines ;p

been trying to find plates for Galaxian (namco) no luck for this type of table.. always found (Midway) Galaxian, Anywho along my so far 2 hour search for the Panels.. i found the ones you were looking for

wasnt gonna post because i thought this was a really old thread (like every other) realised it wasnt so here you go, good luck..

http://www.arcadeoriginals.co.uk/

EDIT: this might be the site you mentioned before, if not can you give a link :/

been doing some research also.. The Galaxian machine i have (almost identical to yours(aside plates) came out a year after yours 1979
    no wonder i am having trouble finding the plates..

Hey Jimmy thanks a million for that link, ive sent them an email. Here is where i got my one above from.

http://www.andys-arcade.net/store/index.php

you could also try the jamma+ forum, someone over there might have one if you put up a request.

• Advertisement

wow, wasn't expecting such a quick reply if at all O.o your welcome!

I'm 19 and got these 2 machines of my grandparents (they were gonna sell both for $350!!) galaxian was the first ever game i played!

thanks for the advice, i did try that site, signed up but had really limited access.. (might try put up a request later)

my friend does Great vector art so we will try making a new panel with photo-shop and somehow get it printed as a sticker or something..

maybe once i get it finished i will post a few pictures as there is none on the Internet, i am convinced!

anywho thanks for the link i will have a look around..:/

You need 10 posts over on Jamma + before the trade\sale sections etc open up. good ammount of info etc over there. Stick up some pics now, id love to have a look at them! Do they work?

they did ;p

we know someone that says they have fixed them before so will see
    (been doing allot of research but only just found some info about a repair someone did (all the pics are not working..).. will go take pics now.. might be a while..

Here are some random pics Mostly of the Galaxian table..

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/6219/img3248x.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img832/6614/img3249f.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/img3250ba.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/8059/img3252n.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/4757/img3254kj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/6058/img3255c.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/4574/img3253d.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/6827/img3246z.jpg

i changed them to links ;p i messed up the pic spoiler thing..

anywho there are two pics of the plate's but they have been picked by two generations of a large family (and freinds) and who ever else owned them before... reason i want to find news ones..

wow they are in great condition, i need to get the legs on mine sandblasted and poweder coated, plus i think they are a little bent out of shape. yours look brand new! I need to get two new monitors aswell, both the ones i have power on but dont play so i think there is probably capacitors that need replacing inside too.

Not sure if a new monitor will work with the games inside, Im going to start getting stuck into restoring them in the next few weeks, i just want to finish off another upright cab i have, just have to stick some side art and tmolding on it.

What happens when you plug them in? any sound of the game? anything on the screen at all?

When i plug them in nothing happens at all I read somewhere that ("the zenner diodes in taito power supply is a common failure") will look into that..

plus if you notice in the picture there are missing fuse thingy's ..

they used to work perfectly maybe 5 or less years ago.. haven't been touched since they stopped i guess..

If i was you id change the fuse in the plugs first off, i know you might have tried that already and it sounds stupid but the first cab i bought was sold not working and it was a fuse in the plug missing!

Those fuses are called quick blow fuse's you can buy them for a few euro on ebay, just make sure you get the right size and amp, compare to the ones you have left in the cocktails.

I havent tried anything i am totally new to this whole thing.. which is why i am researching as much as i can..( with little luck)

no manual for this specific cabinet/(galaxian)..
    so you can tell me anything you think might be stupid its all new info for me

(i have been looking for info about the missing fuse's (and one that are there) and i think i know what size and amp they need to be.. (my grandparents may have changed them around to wrong ones)

however i don't know what you mean by the fuse in the plugs ? is that the ones near the bottom of the machine? i plan on changing them (just got the machines last weekend)

thanks for this Info it helps heaps!

You know the standard plug that goes into the wall? Like any other plug, that will have a fuse in it, if thats blown or missing then it wont power on at all. so open that up and replace it, its just a normal fuse, like the ones in the plug off a kettle or toaster for example. worth changing that first as that could be blown. You never know someone might have needed a fuse years ago for a toaster and taken it out of the plugs of these!

Bare in mind though, that even if that does work and the thing powers on, there could be other issues too. But its a good starting point if the things are not powering on at all. Just open up a kettle plug take out the fuse and stick it in the plug on the galaxian.

• Advertisement

thanks!
    i understand there may be other problems and if all i try fails, i will get a guy my dad knows who has worked with similar things to have a look.

other wise, i will try replacing the fuse ASAP..

this will likely be my last reply tonight .. its really late here.. good to know i'm getting somewhere though :D thanks heaps.

Advertisement