Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is there no way to psuedo feed some of the satellaview rom content to it no?

Perhaps there might be or will be in the near future.
    I have a load of satellaview game roms that can be played on emulators so would be nice to get them on the memory pak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Hey, wait a minute -- I missed the discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Relative time slows down for the traveler using this method, so to anyone attempting this, to them when they return to normal speeds they will be in the future. It's only a mathematical thing but relativity does allow for forwards time travel. Backwards time travel though? I don't think so...but I'm no physicist :o

I am a physicist, but I find it better to abstain from speculative stuff on forums :P
    Forwards time travel isn't just a mathematical thing though, time dilation is measurable. Actually what I find so amazing about GPS devices are that they are devices that actually use general relativity; to synchronise the satellites and the the unit gravitational time dilation is taken into account. And you can buy them in tesco!

ghostchant wrote: »
    I am a physicist, but I find it better to abstain from speculative stuff on forums :P
    Forwards time travel isn't just a mathematical thing though, time dilation is measurable. Actually what I find so amazing about GPS devices are that they are devices that actually use general relativity; to synchronise the satellites and the the unit gravitational time dilation is taken into account. And you can buy them in tesco!

That's exactly what I thought. Relative time dilation, I
    thought, in an amazingly compressed space. You're a mind-reader,
    ghostchant

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ahh, NOW I see why the previous thread hit 10,000 posts so quickly :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ghostchant wrote: »

Of course, I simply meant it from the point of view of actually going ahead & travelling into the future. It's all mathematically sound, we just can't do it yet because of the resources needed to go & actually do it.

It is a measurable phenomenon though, remember the two atomic clocks? One on the ground & one on Concorde...a few trips around the world & what do ya know, the clocks were no longer sync'd.

Unlike you, not being a physicist, I have to resort to speculative stuff on forums. Though to be fair, some of the lads in the astronomy forum are downright brainy :o At least now I can pick your brains via pm whenever I find e does not equal to the mass times the speed of light squared :p

o1s1n wrote: »

Yeah, we buy a lot of crap & talk it too :o

Well, Boards Directive 195 clearly states that in an
    emergency post situation, a member must lay down his
    Thread in order that the Forum might survive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, they suppose that all matter gets as far as the event horizon and stops? Not crossing over beyond, being crushed into the singularity at the core?
    Or is it simply that we would be capable of perceiving time as we are unhappily dragged to our doom and that at the event horizon time would stop, from our point of view, from the outside how would it appear?
    The event horizon is the edge which defines the point at which light can escape and after which it cannot break free of gravities grasp, no?
    Forwards time travel is the easy bit, just doze off somewhere and when you regain consciousness it'll be some 7 hours in the future!!!!
    Backwards and it gets stickier but it may turn out to be an engineering problem.

More fascinating is the way time, or rather the arrow of time, becomes more and more irrelevant the further into the atomic and quantum realms we go.

Only a handful of time asymmetrical reactions seem to give rise to the arrow in the familiar direction at all.

And as for Sliders, the first two seasons were great but after that I didn't bother.
    I have read Timelike Infinity though, a pretty good timetravel, wormhole book there.

EPR, I was thinking of Einstein Rosen bridges there, sorry for my ignorance, I am a Clinical Nurse Manager and not a physicist, and it probably shows....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wibble wibble, I am a fish....

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, they suppose that all matter gets as far as the event horizon and stops? Not crossing over beyond, being crushed into the singularity at the core?
    Or is it simply that we would be capable of perceiving time as we are unhappily dragged to our doom and that at the event horizon time would stop, from our point of view, from the outside how would it appear?
    The event horizon is the edge which defines the point at which light can escape and after which it cannot break free of gravities grasp, no?
    Forwards time travel is the easy bit, just doze off somewhere and when you regain consciousness it'll be some 7 hours in the future!!!!
    Backwards and it gets stickier but it may turn out to be an engineering problem.

More fascinating is the way time, or rather the arrow of time, becomes more and more irrelevant the further into the atomic and quantum realms we go.

Only a handful of time asymmetrical reactions seem to give rise to the arrow in the familiar direction at all.

And as for Sliders, the first two seasons were great but after that I didn't bother.
    I have read Timelike Infinity though, a pretty good timetravel, wormhole book there.

EPR, I was thinking of Einstein Rosen bridges there, sorry for my ignorance, I am a Clinical Nurse Manager and not a physicist, and it probably shows....

I was with you all the way till you said the word "So"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

. Einstein Rosen bridges though are mathmatically possible,..:D
    thor.jpg
    "What manner of witchcraft is this?!?

"Its the Bifrost Bridge"

"Ah grand so, no worries boss"

I read a great book ages ago called The Arrow Of Time, very good it was too, heavy going.
    I found James Gleiks Chaos very good as well.
    Picked up a book on Superstrings back in the day as well, that was a head wrecker!
    Right now I have a book called Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks, which is pretty good, about tales in neurology, great fun, I recommend his opus "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat" to everyone, very funny.
    I also have a book on forgotten european kingdoms that is pretty good.

Looking back at this post I guess i am trying to justify my position here and convincing myself I'm not as thick as I felt after the last couple of posts.... is it working???

You've got no magnificence in your soul, have you, Cidey?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Oddly enough, both [I think :o I'm trying to remember what & how the lads explained it to me & failing probably]. I'll have to find you the link, but the lads were going along the lines of that you can't actually reach the singularity [I think I said the EV last time, my bad].

Yes stuff gets caught up & crushed near the sigularity, but you never reach it. The Event Horizon is filled with things that havn't entered it yet. Note: Not actually things, but matter/energy.

Ah yes, quantum mechanics...who doesn't love it! :D

You'll have to give me the Anne & Barry version of that now

Aw man, how could ya not follow on through Sliders? It's all about the Kromags man. Tears in my 'fro :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Chaos by James Gleick is a great read indeed. What superstring book was it? Was it 'The elegant universe' by Brian Greene? I enjoyed that up until a point (particle...har har)

Here ya go Cidey/Ghostey, I thought it was very interesting reading - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056602867

Much much earlier than that, it was simply called Superstrings and was printed by Oxford University Press, back in 1991 or so, still have it somewhere, got some cracking books back then, have a lovely book of prose, poetry and essays all about science as well, good stuff.
    Also have a nice reprint, by the OUP, of "On Growth and Form" and excellent book on all sorts of things, including convergent evolution and written in the 19th century I think, before genetics were properly understood, nevertheless the writer got more things right, with the environmental effects on creatures forms and common forms and environmental solutions found by disparate creatures, interesting stuff.

Point, wave, string, it's all good baby, it's all good, just depends on the observer and the scale man...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I love/hate Quantum mechanics at the same time.

Also in relation to time people think that its a straight line from cause to effect but actually if you look at it from a non linear perspective its all a bunch of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... Stuff.

Achilles wrote: »
    I love/hate Quantum mechanics at the same time.

Also in relation to time people think that its a straight line from cause to effect but actually if you look at it from a non linear perspective its all a bunch of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... Stuff.

OK, here's my question: Would you like some toast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Holy off topic thread Batman!!

robinHOLY.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    Holy off topic thread Batman!!

robinHOLY.jpg

We're just giving this thread a gentle nudge. It feels weird posting in empty threads round these parts

tumblr_l87zxdF8fR1qdoghio1_500.png

Ah - ah - ah - ah. What are total immersion video games?

Master of the Universe

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Ah - ah - ah - ah. What are total immersion video games?

They're games in which you have to leave the immersion on. Can get expensive.

Bollox anyway, I can't play Chaotix because I forgot my Megadrive isn't modded & I've no switches :mad: Irony of ironies

They're games in which you have to leave the immersion on. Can get expensive.

You Gimboid PantryBoy

Well, they’re computer games, aren’t they? But electrodes are inserted into your frontal lobes and hypothalamus, right? So you actually feel as though you’re really, really there. Yessssss.

Master of the Universe

Bollox anyway, I can't play Chaotix because I forgot my Megadrive isn't modded & I've no switches :mad: Irony of ironies

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Why in gods name do you not have a modded Megadrive?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Why in gods name do you not have a modded Megadrive?!

KeithGeo stole mine :mad:

Well in exchange for money anyway :D

I shall remedy that next week with a quick visit to Radionics :rolleyes:

Master of the Universe

Don't know why I'm laughing, I don't have a modded Megadrive in the house either! They're both in the grandparents attic. I thought the Nomad would be enough to do me for the moment. Apparantly not!

Have a 50hz model 2 sitting under the TV. It feels so wrong.

• Advertisement

Don't know why I'm laughing, I don't have a modded Megadrive in the house either! They're both in the grandparents attic. I thought the Nomad would be enough to do me for the moment. Apparantly not!

Have a 50hz model 2 sitting under the TV. It feels so wrong.

Ya think thats bad?

Try looking at a stock MD1, sitting on top of a bios modded Mega CD-1 & underneath a region modded 32X. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement