Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Achilles wrote: »
    So what is it?

Time is occurring in random pockets.The laws of causality no longer apply.
    An action no longer leads to a consequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Time is occurring in random pockets.The laws of causality no longer apply.
    An action no longer leads to a consequence.

Look, the only way out of this is to consult Holly.

Look, the only way out of this is to consult Holly.

Ah, I think we've just encountered the middle of this
    conversation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its so wrong that I'm reading that conversation in the voices of the characters :D Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah jaysus, so I bought the Sturmwind LE thinking I hadn't really bought anything in ages.

Only to log into my email account for the first time today and see my offer on a Snes Firepower prototype (or known as Super Swiv over here) had been accepted. I put an offer down which was 2/3 his buy it now chancing my arm and he accepted.

- So for future reference, log into email account BEFORE leaping on something new!

Ah well, two nice purchases on the way. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Unfortunately there is no evidence of White Holes in this universe at least.
    It may be that the only universes that support life are those that do not have white holes.
    Their presence may herald issues about radiation density or an arrow of time problem that could disrupt the manner of chemical processes that our type of life depends on.
    That doesn't preclude another type of life occupying niches in a white hole universe however, it just may not be like ours.

Really, we have seen no structure resembling a white hole, whatever that is going to look like, in our universe, or at least our observable universe, this last statement is important because there is more universe than we can see.

Black holes themselves are full of puzzles, the information within the matter they consume must be preserved and hence this leads to the holographic theory which, in turn, has been extended to the universe at large, supposing that we and everything else in the universe is merely a projection from the holograph contained on the surface of the universe itself.....

Time travel itself is only permissible to time periods within the lifespan of the time machine, so you can use the black hole, a rotating one preferably, to travel back in time but only to a co-ordinate within the life span of the black hole itself.
    It fixes all the issues with "Why aren't time travelers here, now?", they can't until someone turns on a time machine somewhere.

Same will be for entangled ftl communications, using spooky action at a distance, have to have two particles, entangled, before it will work but it should work.

EPR bridges are another thing, wormholes, but for those to work we need all sorts of engineering techniques that are way way ahead, so exotic matter to open the mouth of the wormhole so something can pass through, anchoring one to a entry/exit point, pinning the other to an asteroid, towing it away at near the speed of light before bringing it back again, you now have a time machine into the past, congratulations!
    If you leave it out there you have a nice little bridge over vast distances, congratulations again!!

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn Dwarfies....

I'm going to find Wilma for some lovin, Freds away on business!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Black holes themselves are full of puzzles, the information within the matter they consume must be preserved and hence this leads to the holographic theory which, in turn, has been extended to the universe at large, supposing that we and everything else in the universe is merely a projection from the holograph contained on the surface of the universe itself.....

There was a fascinating thread in the astronomy forrum recently about black holes. One of the posts explained that as you approach the event horizon of a black hole, time & distance become swapped. So anything in front of you is ahead of you in time, & anything behind you is in the past...hence why you can never escape a black hole. It also details that because relative time slows down & eventually stops at the event horizon, you can never actually cross the event horizon because time for you has relatively stopped. Also, to top it off, because the time & distance co-ordinates are reversed, a black hole is filled with the very matter that ever entered it, or ever will in the future...no thats some heavy sh1t there.
    Time travel itself is only permissible to time periods within the lifespan of the time machine, so you can use the black hole, a rotating one preferably, to travel back in time but only to a co-ordinate within the life span of the black hole itself.
    It fixes all the issues with "Why aren't time travelers here, now?", they can't until someone turns on a time machine somewhere.

Relative time slows down for the traveler using this method, so to anyone attempting this, to them when they return to normal speeds they will be in the future. It's only a mathematical thing but relativity does allow for forwards time travel. Backwards time travel though? I don't think so...but I'm no physicist :o
    Same will be for entangled ftl communications, using spooky action at a distance, have to have two particles, entangled, before it will work but it should work.

No information can be transmitted by quantum entanglement though, the laws of physics remain in tact despite the distances involved. Professor Michio Kaku's book says so, so there! :p
    EPR bridges are another thing, wormholes, but for those to work we need all sorts of engineering techniques that are way way ahead, so exotic matter to open the mouth of the wormhole so something can pass through, anchoring one to a entry/exit point, pinning the other to an asteroid, towing it away at near the speed of light before bringing it back again, you now have a time machine into the past, congratulations!
    If you leave it out there you have a nice little bridge over vast distances, congratulations again!!

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.....

EPR bridges are fictional, ala Sliders. Einstein Rosen bridges though are mathmatically possible, though the forces involved are indeed beyond lethal to any would be Slider :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well I bit the bullet and eventually went for a Satellaview.
    New and sealed so it comes with everything and an extra used BS-X cartridge and Memory Pak that apparently has some good stuff still downloaded to it.

Purely a collectors item of course but I've been eyeing one up for some time now and almost went for it a few times.
    I got it for a very good price and shipping was cheap as well so I'm very happy with that

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well I bit the bullet and eventually went for a Satellaview.
    New and sealed so it comes with everything and an extra used BS-X cartridge and Memory Pak that apparently has some good stuff still downloaded to it.

Purely a collectors item of course but I've been eyeing one up for some time now and almost went for it a few times.
    I got it for a very good price and shipping was cheap as well so I'm very happy with that

Is there no way to psuedo feed some of the satellaview rom content to it no?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is there no way to psuedo feed some of the satellaview rom content to it no?

Perhaps there might be or will be in the near future.
    I have a load of satellaview game roms that can be played on emulators so would be nice to get them on the memory pak.

Hey, wait a minute -- I missed the discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Relative time slows down for the traveler using this method, so to anyone attempting this, to them when they return to normal speeds they will be in the future. It's only a mathematical thing but relativity does allow for forwards time travel. Backwards time travel though? I don't think so...but I'm no physicist :o

I am a physicist, but I find it better to abstain from speculative stuff on forums :P
    Forwards time travel isn't just a mathematical thing though, time dilation is measurable. Actually what I find so amazing about GPS devices are that they are devices that actually use general relativity; to synchronise the satellites and the the unit gravitational time dilation is taken into account. And you can buy them in tesco!

ghostchant wrote: »
    I am a physicist, but I find it better to abstain from speculative stuff on forums :P
    Forwards time travel isn't just a mathematical thing though, time dilation is measurable. Actually what I find so amazing about GPS devices are that they are devices that actually use general relativity; to synchronise the satellites and the the unit gravitational time dilation is taken into account. And you can buy them in tesco!

That's exactly what I thought. Relative time dilation, I
    thought, in an amazingly compressed space. You're a mind-reader,
    ghostchant

Master of the Universe

Ahh, NOW I see why the previous thread hit 10,000 posts so quickly :p

• Advertisement

ghostchant wrote: »

Of course, I simply meant it from the point of view of actually going ahead & travelling into the future. It's all mathematically sound, we just can't do it yet because of the resources needed to go & actually do it.

It is a measurable phenomenon though, remember the two atomic clocks? One on the ground & one on Concorde...a few trips around the world & what do ya know, the clocks were no longer sync'd.

Unlike you, not being a physicist, I have to resort to speculative stuff on forums. Though to be fair, some of the lads in the astronomy forum are downright brainy :o At least now I can pick your brains via pm whenever I find e does not equal to the mass times the speed of light squared :p

o1s1n wrote: »

Yeah, we buy a lot of crap & talk it too :o

Well, Boards Directive 195 clearly states that in an
    emergency post situation, a member must lay down his
    Thread in order that the Forum might survive.

So, they suppose that all matter gets as far as the event horizon and stops? Not crossing over beyond, being crushed into the singularity at the core?
    Or is it simply that we would be capable of perceiving time as we are unhappily dragged to our doom and that at the event horizon time would stop, from our point of view, from the outside how would it appear?
    The event horizon is the edge which defines the point at which light can escape and after which it cannot break free of gravities grasp, no?
    Forwards time travel is the easy bit, just doze off somewhere and when you regain consciousness it'll be some 7 hours in the future!!!!
    Backwards and it gets stickier but it may turn out to be an engineering problem.

More fascinating is the way time, or rather the arrow of time, becomes more and more irrelevant the further into the atomic and quantum realms we go.

Only a handful of time asymmetrical reactions seem to give rise to the arrow in the familiar direction at all.

And as for Sliders, the first two seasons were great but after that I didn't bother.
    I have read Timelike Infinity though, a pretty good timetravel, wormhole book there.

EPR, I was thinking of Einstein Rosen bridges there, sorry for my ignorance, I am a Clinical Nurse Manager and not a physicist, and it probably shows....

Wibble wibble, I am a fish....

• Advertisement

So, they suppose that all matter gets as far as the event horizon and stops? Not crossing over beyond, being crushed into the singularity at the core?
    Or is it simply that we would be capable of perceiving time as we are unhappily dragged to our doom and that at the event horizon time would stop, from our point of view, from the outside how would it appear?
    The event horizon is the edge which defines the point at which light can escape and after which it cannot break free of gravities grasp, no?
    Forwards time travel is the easy bit, just doze off somewhere and when you regain consciousness it'll be some 7 hours in the future!!!!
    Backwards and it gets stickier but it may turn out to be an engineering problem.

More fascinating is the way time, or rather the arrow of time, becomes more and more irrelevant the further into the atomic and quantum realms we go.

Only a handful of time asymmetrical reactions seem to give rise to the arrow in the familiar direction at all.

And as for Sliders, the first two seasons were great but after that I didn't bother.
    I have read Timelike Infinity though, a pretty good timetravel, wormhole book there.

EPR, I was thinking of Einstein Rosen bridges there, sorry for my ignorance, I am a Clinical Nurse Manager and not a physicist, and it probably shows....

I was with you all the way till you said the word "So"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

. Einstein Rosen bridges though are mathmatically possible,..:D
    thor.jpg
    "What manner of witchcraft is this?!?

"Its the Bifrost Bridge"

"Ah grand so, no worries boss"

I read a great book ages ago called The Arrow Of Time, very good it was too, heavy going.
    I found James Gleiks Chaos very good as well.
    Picked up a book on Superstrings back in the day as well, that was a head wrecker!
    Right now I have a book called Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks, which is pretty good, about tales in neurology, great fun, I recommend his opus "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat" to everyone, very funny.
    I also have a book on forgotten european kingdoms that is pretty good.

Looking back at this post I guess i am trying to justify my position here and convincing myself I'm not as thick as I felt after the last couple of posts.... is it working???

You've got no magnificence in your soul, have you, Cidey?

Oddly enough, both [I think :o I'm trying to remember what & how the lads explained it to me & failing probably]. I'll have to find you the link, but the lads were going along the lines of that you can't actually reach the singularity [I think I said the EV last time, my bad].

Yes stuff gets caught up & crushed near the sigularity, but you never reach it. The Event Horizon is filled with things that havn't entered it yet. Note: Not actually things, but matter/energy.

Ah yes, quantum mechanics...who doesn't love it! :D

You'll have to give me the Anne & Barry version of that now

Aw man, how could ya not follow on through Sliders? It's all about the Kromags man. Tears in my 'fro :(

Chaos by James Gleick is a great read indeed. What superstring book was it? Was it 'The elegant universe' by Brian Greene? I enjoyed that up until a point (particle...har har)

Here ya go Cidey/Ghostey, I thought it was very interesting reading - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056602867

Much much earlier than that, it was simply called Superstrings and was printed by Oxford University Press, back in 1991 or so, still have it somewhere, got some cracking books back then, have a lovely book of prose, poetry and essays all about science as well, good stuff.
    Also have a nice reprint, by the OUP, of "On Growth and Form" and excellent book on all sorts of things, including convergent evolution and written in the 19th century I think, before genetics were properly understood, nevertheless the writer got more things right, with the environmental effects on creatures forms and common forms and environmental solutions found by disparate creatures, interesting stuff.

Point, wave, string, it's all good baby, it's all good, just depends on the observer and the scale man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I love/hate Quantum mechanics at the same time.

Also in relation to time people think that its a straight line from cause to effect but actually if you look at it from a non linear perspective its all a bunch of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... Stuff.

I love/hate Quantum mechanics at the same time.

Also in relation to time people think that its a straight line from cause to effect but actually if you look at it from a non linear perspective its all a bunch of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... Stuff.

OK, here's my question: Would you like some toast?

• Advertisement

Holy off topic thread Batman!!

robinHOLY.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    Holy off topic thread Batman!!

robinHOLY.jpg

We're just giving this thread a gentle nudge. It feels weird posting in empty threads round these parts

tumblr_l87zxdF8fR1qdoghio1_500.png

Ah - ah - ah - ah. What are total immersion video games?

Master of the Universe

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Ah - ah - ah - ah. What are total immersion video games?

They're games in which you have to leave the immersion on. Can get expensive.

Bollox anyway, I can't play Chaotix because I forgot my Megadrive isn't modded & I've no switches :mad: Irony of ironies

They're games in which you have to leave the immersion on. Can get expensive.

You Gimboid PantryBoy

Well, they’re computer games, aren’t they? But electrodes are inserted into your frontal lobes and hypothalamus, right? So you actually feel as though you’re really, really there. Yessssss.

Master of the Universe

Bollox anyway, I can't play Chaotix because I forgot my Megadrive isn't modded & I've no switches :mad: Irony of ironies

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Why in gods name do you not have a modded Megadrive?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Why in gods name do you not have a modded Megadrive?!

KeithGeo stole mine :mad:

Well in exchange for money anyway :D

I shall remedy that next week with a quick visit to Radionics :rolleyes:

Master of the Universe

Don't know why I'm laughing, I don't have a modded Megadrive in the house either! They're both in the grandparents attic. I thought the Nomad would be enough to do me for the moment. Apparantly not!

Have a 50hz model 2 sitting under the TV. It feels so wrong.

• Advertisement

Don't know why I'm laughing, I don't have a modded Megadrive in the house either! They're both in the grandparents attic. I thought the Nomad would be enough to do me for the moment. Apparantly not!

Have a 50hz model 2 sitting under the TV. It feels so wrong.

Ya think thats bad?

Try looking at a stock MD1, sitting on top of a bios modded Mega CD-1 & underneath a region modded 32X. :mad:

Master of the Universe

Here's the prototype I picked up by the way.

Capture-5.jpg

I just noticed there's an incorrect use of the apostrophe on the word 'ROMS'. Dont know if I can deal with that. It'll have to be sold on :pac:

Of course, relativity, quantum mechanics, it's pixies you know, deep down, little frakkers!

Here ya go Cidey/Ghostey, I thought it was very interesting reading - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056602867

Some nice explanations in there. When I clicked on the link I instantly forgot I'd left the A&R forum and was wondering at what point Cidey was gonna lose it and start yelling at everyone to get back on topic...:P

When worrying about being off topic, consider for one moment that, perhaps, there is no topic.... only rolos...

When worrying about being off topic, consider for one moment that, perhaps, there is no topic.... only rolos...

I prefer to ponder if there's a spoon or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Actually the Saturn game is an entirely different conversion from the PS2 game. The latter was released in Japan as part of a budget series and in the west a selection of these formed the Seha Classics compilation.
    So yes, there was one game on the PS2 but released in two different manners in the east and west.

Not sure how I got mixed up last night!
    I remember seeing a review of VR Deluxe with the added stock cars but haven't played it yet.
    @waveform - some of the sockets are empty in o1s1ns pcb because Capcom used a standard cps board for all the cps1 games. Certain games require more eeproms, certain ones require less...but the board can accommodate any cps1 game

Thanks for the explanation, had a look of the list of games there....

kind of mad to think how Ghouls & Ghosts and the Street Fighter 2 games ran on the exact same hardware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Hyper 64 arrived today, really surprised by how big it is. Board is new in box with 2 games, used but in good condition.

Trying to get a bit more info on these, mine is the 'fighting' board but don't know what differs from the other board types. Is it in hardware changes in the mainboard ? BIOS ? Different IO board ? Can they be converted for one type to another ?

Dirt cheap as well, shipping was more expensive that the product.

7263424332_04aa1f1ba9_c.jpg
    Note: does not actually play NES games, cart for reference only :)

KeithGeo stole mine :mad:

Well in exchange for money anyway :D

I shall remedy that next week with a quick visit to Radionics :rolleyes:

Is there an actual walk in Radionics store up there?

Lucky bastards!

Only 2 options in Cork: Either Maplin or a scrapyard! ;)

waveform wrote: »
    Is there an actual walk in Radionics store up there?

Lucky bastards!

Only 2 options in Cork: Either Maplin or a scrapyard! ;)

Yeah a trade counter, you can just go in & pay cash though. Tis well handy, the lads are sound too.

Post here everytime you get sunburnt.....

2 little pieces came in the door today but too sickly feeling and tired feeling to post them up.

Always feel like this after a roasting, maybe i go to sleep nao.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement