Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

lickalot wrote: »

Bit odd - I wouldn't fancy all that pine myself - but not the worst by a long shot! Nice little house really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Radio from about the 1950s. And some drone shots for good measure :D

Not sure I'd want to live there but otherwise I thought it was quite nice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It's a nice house, I love the windows especially! These nonmatching double doors would drive me mad though, and what's with them being above the skirting board! They don't appear to be working doors though going by the floorplan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Ryath

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It's a nice house, I love the windows especially! These nonmatching double doors would drive me mad though, and what's with them being above the skirting board! They don't appear to be working doors though going by the floorplan...

They are the wardrobe doors. I don't see much wrong with the house. It's clean most of the hard work fixing it up has been done. It looks like someone with a tight budget fixing up an old house just upcycled/reused what they could get there hands on. The work they've done is generally quite tidy. The tree trunk in the living room is a bit out there but if there was a modern kitchen in it wouldn't be posted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

There's definitely a bit of creativity and improvisation gone into it. Nice area too! Definitely one of the nicer ones I've seen on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Aglomerado wrote: »
    There's definitely a bit of creativity and improvisation gone into it. Nice area too! Definitely one of the nicer ones I've seen on this thread.

Even from picture 1 the house doesn't look right. The window sills over the door are at different heights even though it's a semi and obviously built by the same builder. There's a mad slope on the ...ahem... footpath outside. It looks a disaster.

Pic 14 bothers me. Double doors at a different height to the floor. There'd be an excuse if the house had an extension, but looking at the pics it doesn't, unless I'm missing something. Oops. Looks like there is a door in the kitchen going somewhere so maybe there is an extension on the house that isn't shown on the plans. Where is the door in the corner of pic 6 going? (between the black fridge and the silver hob extractor?

I just read the property description. That's a laugh. Guest utility room 2.35m x .88m. Plumbing in there for a stacked washing machine and dryer. Good luck fitting that in there if you are also going to use it as a toilet.

Granted it's not the worst house we've seen on here but you'd need to spend a right few bob getting that house in any sort of order. A right few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Was anybody else disappointed that they didn't have pine tiles in the bathroom? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ryath wrote: »
    They are the wardrobe doors. I don't see much wrong with the house. It's clean most of the hard work fixing it up has been done. It looks like someone with a tight budget fixing up an old house just upcycled/reused what they could get there hands on. The work they've done is generally quite tidy. The tree trunk in the living room is a bit out there but if there was a modern kitchen in it wouldn't be posted here.
    It's a nice, clean house for €135k. New kitchen, rip out the pine in the loo under the stairs, change the salvaged wardrobes doors and paint the internal doors if you want less wood on show.

Perfectly liveable as it is though.

It's a nice, clean house for €135k. New kitchen, rip out the pine in the loo under the stairs, change the salvaged wardrobes doors and paint the internal doors if you want less wood on show.

Perfectly liveable as it is though.

There are questions though.

Where does the door in the corner of the kitchen go to? Why is there different height floors at the double inside glass doors?

That wooden pillar in the middle of the sitting room is an absolute eyesore. Did they remove a supporting wall to make the room open-plan?

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There are questions though.

Where does the door in the corner of the kitchen go to? Why is there different height floors at the double inside glass doors?

That wooden pillar in the middle of the sitting room is an absolute eyesore. Did they remove a supporting wall to make the room open-plan?

I don't see a door in the corner of the kitchen? There's a white shelf unit in one corner and a wooden unit beside the fridge.

The glass doors in the bedroom are what I referred to as the salvaged wardrobe doors.

It does look like the wooden pillar is for support, you can see by the stairs that it was changed to open plan. That could be changed.

It's still a nice, bright house for €135k.

I don't see a door in the corner of the kitchen? There's a white shelf unit in one corner and a wooden unit beside the fridge.

My bad. I thought it was architrave around a door. It is indeed a shelf. And I didn't realise the glass doors were on a wardrobe. :o:o:o

Somebody was really pennypinching when they were doing up that house.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    My bad. I thought it was architrave around a door. It is indeed a shelf. And I didn't realise the glass doors were on a wardrobe. :o:o:o

Somebody was really pennypinching when they were doing up that house.

It might not be to everyone's taste, but some people like a rustic look in a kitchen. The wardrobe doors are an eyesore but very easy to change.

Sure look at Dermot Bannon pushing plywood kitchens and cement floors!

Have to be honest, I also don't see anything wrong with that 135k house at all. Most people would rip out a kitchen and replace it anyway, so doesn't really matter what the kitchen is like. Same for the Wardrobe; you'd get proper doors (or sliding doors) for feck all. I'm surprise so many people are getting confused about those wardrobe doors.

It probably would have been worth the while to either leave doors off the wardrobe or get proper doors for the photos, considering many people think they're a problem with the house.

The wood pillar could be covered over to look more modern (looks like it's supporting, and it has the fusebox, so likely needs to be left there, though).

If the area is half decent, i'd say it'd be a great buy.

I've just read the description, the kitchen is made from cedar so not cheap, but the floor are red deal that's obviously been stained.

The owner could be a carpenter and did the work themselves, they definitely like the look of wood. You could probably hang doors on the kitchen and keep the cedar countertop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Should I buy it ?

or should I cough up about twice as much for

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/station-house-13a-howth-summit-howth-dublin/4432668

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I know that house and it will sell, no bother. Location is king.
    The house needs a bit of work though but its still a cheap way in to that neighbourhood.

I hope you are right on that

What could you do with a site so small ?

Between the bus terminus, Gaffneys and the summit gawper traffic it aint ever going to be quiet

And thats before you get stuck into the real problem in the area - Mamils

Makes the site for sale near Sutton X with PP for 400M2 house asking 600k seem cheep :p

:D

517398.png

I know it's Howth, but it would be akin to living on a roundabout.

It could be lovely if you could afford the purchase price and renovation work, but it's very poorly situated.

I know it's Howth, but it would be akin to living on a roundabout.

It could be lovely if you could afford the purchase price and renovation work, but it's very poorly situated.

Agreed !

Though, on the plus side it seems to have the 'new style' 13Amp sockets - which is more than can be said for my present abode :D

Agreed !

Though, on the plus side it seems to have the 'new style' 13Amp sockets - which is more than can be said for my present abode :D

It looks like it's been empty since the wake of the last owner.

(The chairs in pic 8 look like they were arranged for a wake)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I know that house and it will sell, no bother. Location is king.
    The house needs a bit of work though but its still a cheap way in to that neighbourhood.

Is that just across from the summit pub/k2/ Senates whatever you remember it by :D

It looks like it's been empty since the wake of the last owner.

(The chairs in pic 8 look like they were arranged for a wake)

Indeed :(

I have recollections of seeing many house in this sort of order in the 50's and first half of the 60's.

Is there a table anywhere ? I would expect a rickety timber one with old newspapers as a table cloth

Look hard and you might find a roll of

517399.jpg

under the floor or behind a press

All a bit sad :(

I'll have the one in Co. Kilkenny so :)

Is that just across from the summit pub/k2/ Senates whatever you remember it by :D

It is indeed, on that little island just opposite.
    Great spot for a party after hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Yeah, its on the old tram line. If I had the cash I'd grab it right now. The potential there is amazing

It is indeed, on that little island just opposite.
    Great spot for a party after hours!

Yeah you Coul bring your drinks across and sprawl out on the grass on a sunny day..... Though probably not "supposed" to.

Yeah, its on the old tram line. If I had the cash I'd grab it right now. The potential there is amazing

Wouldn't be surprised if it goes over asking price, though I'm not sure I'd want to live so close to a nightclub.... Though not sure if the nightclub is still open tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wow, that's like a time machine, or a museum piece, or something!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Agreed !

I see "outhouse" on the map - does it actually have a sewer connection..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a beautiful building and I hope the new owners try to retain the character of the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

PommieBast wrote: »
    I see "outhouse" on the map - does it actually have a sewer connection..?

Probably a compostable toilet or a "glitter ****ter". Oh yeah its a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Groovy....

ce8ac1ec604edfd57351f7291918b0a3.jpg

30+ more pics to feast your eyes on

https://www.funda.nl/koop/haarlem/appartement-87354056-gedempte-raamgracht-12-zw/#foto-1

And no, it isnt a brothel. It is a freelance illustrator's home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ahahaahahaha they censored the angel's arse!!!!

My eyes...my eyes are burning...

It's unique anyway! I couldn't live with it, especially the psychedelic black and white tiles, I'd get dizzy looking at them.

I wonder will the new owner renovate it or keep it as is?

I would renovate as is.
    With a wrecking ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

inforfun wrote: »
    Groovy....

30+ more pics to feat your eyes on

https://www.funda.nl/koop/haarlem/appartement-87354056-gedempte-raamgracht-12-zw/#foto-1

And no, it isnt a brothel. It is a freelance illustrator's home

They didnt bother removing the anchor points on the feet of the bed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That's how I would have painted my house when I was 10.

To quote Homer (no, not that one) "Its gonna take a lot of fireworks to clean this mess up".

Ahahaahahaha they censored the angel's arse!!!!

And boobs.

I kinda like it though... 20's me would have loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

That is a serious amount of work and detail gone into that house.... Not my style but that work is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

ED E wrote: »
    They didnt bother removing the anchor points on the feet of the bed :D

They are everywhere when you look closely, the ceiling, the chairs, the wall of the bathroom! :eek::eek: The CGI'd what it would look like if it was normal version in the last couple of photos are almost unrecognisable. It's a very small apartment to pack in so much hijinks.

Am I the only one who doesn't know what anchor points are?

check_six wrote: »
    They are everywhere when you look closely, the ceiling, the chairs, the wall of the bathroom! :eek::eek: The CGI'd what it would look like if it was normal version in the last couple of photos are almost unrecognisable. It's a very small apartment to pack in so much hijinks.

I can see 14, though presume there's more on the bottom of bathroom padded wall & the top of the bed :D

Think sexy times. And handcuffs, ropes etc.

check_six wrote: »

I prefer the original to the cgi. The more I look at it the more I like it.

Now I wouldn't have as many boobies on show, but I do think it's lovely. The amount of detail in the mosaic work etc. For a themed house I think it is done rather tastefully to the theme.

I get people not liking it though. :)

For stopping the sheep from moving.

I can see 14, though presume there's more on the bottom of bathroom padded wall & the top of the bed :D

Think sexy times. And handcuffs, ropes etc.

I can't see them! I'm intrigued though. :p

ETA: I zoomed in and spotted some. Kinky!

• Advertisement

I can't see them! I'm intrigued though. :p

4 x love hearts in a corner of the bedroom, hanging on ceiling.
    4 x on weird chair, sofa thing in bedroom.
    2 x black hoops on ceiling above bed.
    2 x silver shackles on bottom of bed legs.
    4 x on padded wall in bathroom, can see the bottom ones now.

My social isolation lunacy is setting in I think :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

If you like being reminded of past residents banging each other around the house, then that house is for you. It's not just a case of a new mattress. I'd say the kitchen counter and dinner table would have to go too.

4 x love hearts in a corner of the bedroom, hanging on ceiling.
    4 x on weird chair, sofa thing in bedroom.
    2 x black hoops on ceiling above bed.
    2 x silver shackles on bottom of bed legs.
    4 x on padded wall in bathroom, can see the bottom ones now.

My social isolation lunacy is setting in I think :pac::pac:

My house feels very boring now. :D

If you like being reminded of past residents banging each other around the house, then that house is for you. It's not just a case of a new mattress. I'd say the kitchen counter and dinner table would have to go too.

Yeah, you'd need a forensics lamp and an ocean of bleach, maybe a fumigator too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,531 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is saying something when the window girl in pic 13 is not the weirdest part of the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement