Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

With that huge flat screen TV, looks like the current occupier(s) could be much younger.

The 32 inch at best? Nah, my granny had one of those ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That was my first thought too. Some lonely old dear living there on her own.

Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts.

The happy thought is that there's a fairly big flat screen TV there. Yes it may be 10 years old, but it's not something the average old dear would go and buy.

Not all decrepit old houses like that have seen a miserable lonely end for the occupant. Strikes me more as a stubborn older person who lived alone while their family made little improvements here and there, probably to great resistance.

My father was like that. Had a 40 year old kitchen that most people would cringe at, but he saw nothing wrong with it and wouldn't hear of changing it. Same with his horrendous brown bathroom suite.

He gave in after years of nagging to upgrade the windows to double glazed and had a decent TV and stove (that we bought him). The rest of the house looked awfully dated but he thought it was fine.

And he would never have given in to moving in with his kids either. He was mobile, driving, and stubbornly independent right up until the stroke that incapacitated him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

DrPhilG wrote: »
    My father was like that. Had a 40 year old kitchen that most people would cringe at, but he saw nothing wrong with it and wouldn't hear of changing it. Same with his horrendous brown bathroom suite.

He gave in after years of nagging to upgrade the windows to double glazed and had a decent TV and stove (that we bought him). The rest of the house looked awfully dated but he thought it was fine.

Yeah seen that story with my Uncles. I had to convince them at the last minute to get a SAORview TV and told one uncle the other uncle was going to freeze to death unless they got insulation and replace the open fire with a Stanley stove. They refused and the pipes burst, carpet shrunk and the back boiler fell out. Then they got it replaced. Now they are all happy with SAORview, Ground to air, insulation and 19kW stove hooked into the direct central heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yeah seen that story with my Uncles. I had to convince them at the last minute to get a SAORview TV and told one uncle the other uncle was going to freeze to death unless they got insulation and replace the open fire with a Stanley stove. They refused and the pipes burst, carpet shrunk and the back boiler fell out. Then they got it replaced. Now they are all happy with SAORview, Ground to air, insulation and 19kW stove hooked into the direct central heating.

Sounds like a Myles na gCopaleen story line lol. How did people survive before us without modern conveniences I wonder .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

gozunda wrote: »
    Sounds like a Myles na gCopaleen story line lol. How did people survive before us without modern conveniences I wonder .... ;)

They survived with a lower life expectancy.,with 50% infant mortality rates etc. Sure it was all sunshine and lollipops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

mikhail wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/tipperary/houses-for-sale/clonmel/croan-cottage-kilganey-clonmel-tipperary-1897831/

Kudos to the agent who decided that one of the key selling points of this property is "mature boundaries".

The bathroom looks like a biohazard.

The side view of the house shows the staged development, like the tiers of a depressing grey wedding cake that's fallen on its side.

The settee faces the stove so you can huddle near the only warm spot in the whole place during the winter.

Just shows what 9 years of neglect can do to well kept little house;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3538088,-7.6721239,3a,75y,292.51h,72.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stwmLw2yG0PHTASZmrzSlEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The happy thought is that there's a fairly big flat screen TV there. Yes it may be 10 years old, but it's not something the average old dear would go and buy.

Not all decrepit old houses like that have seen a miserable lonely end for the occupant. Strikes me more as a stubborn older person who lived alone while their family made little improvements here and there, probably to great resistance.

And he would never have given in to moving in with his kids either. He was mobile, driving, and stubbornly independent right up until the stroke that incapacitated him.

Interesting.... as an old wan I have my ways of living and no way would I allow or welcome a bright . and caring young person to come in and change things.

And basically looks fine and how the person was comfortable which is what matters? I know young folk live differently and that is fine too.

The main room downstairs is well equipped for basic needs and yes, one chair or settee is all an old person needs and we love that...

I have never ever used central heating. A good stove is a comfort.

And if you have no close family cost is a great concern

Different eras, different lives.

\ps no way that TV either, for me!

M5 wrote: »
    They survived with a lower life expectancy.,with 50% infant mortality rates etc. Sure it was all sunshine and lollipops

50%? What year was that?

50%? What year was that?

It's called hyperbole

Infant, nb not child, mortality rates have dropped 50% since 1950 in Ireland, life expancy has increased by 2 years a decade since the late 1800s. Infectious diseases have been controlled or eradicated. Women can vote, poverty levels have plummeted, standard of life increased massively.

But year, things were grand before, sure we survived!

468414.jpg

It's called hyperbole...

No **** sherlock

What you replied to was a humorous aside re. people being just possibly able to survive without such things as SAORview and Ground to Air. Capice?

Among the number of fallacies engaged in that very strange rant was the use hasty generalisations, straw men and a bizarre appeal to extremes

A big bualadh bos there ...

• Advertisement

No **** sherlock

What you replied to was a humorous aside re. people being just possibly able to survive without such things as SAORview and Ground to Air. Capice?

Among the number of fallacies engaged in that very strange rant was the use hasty generalisations, straw men and a bizarre appeal to extremes

A big bualadh bos there ...

Fair enough

No need for the sark though

Fair enough

No need for the sark though

Absolutely no sark implied in that comment ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/balbriggan/8-chieftains-close-balbriggan-dublin-1651846/

Has the full description that they put a lot of effort/crap into. It's kinda ruined by the first line
    CASH SALE ONLY / PYRITE CONFIRMED
    DNG McKenna Healy are delighted to bring to the market this three bedroom detached family home. This property is very attractive with its red brick front and tucked away in quiet cul de sac within the development, located just a short distance from the Castle Mills Shopping Centre and Balbriggan Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Grayson wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/balbriggan/8-chieftains-close-balbriggan-dublin-1651846/

Has the full description that they put a lot of effort/crap into. It's kinda ruined by the first line

How would anyone get a mortgage or insurance for that??? Nice house barring that

fritzelly wrote: »
    How would anyone get a mortgage or insurance for that??? Nice house barring that

As per advert - cash buyer only @ €150,000. Insurance fire and theft maybe ...

The house has a very unloved / sad aspect about it tbh. Bathroom in ****e. Garden absolutely nothing there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Can estate agents for once deviate from the copy and paste "are delighted to bring X to the market"?

To thine own self be true

It has to be a cash buyer, I'd imagine, one who is a bit of a gambler as well, hoping the house will survive until they die.

A good retirement property, if you don't like your kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Is there a responsible party when it comes to pyrite, or is it a random thing?

150k for such a house in Dublin. Does it mean it is a complete wreck and needs to be knocked down?

wonski wrote: »
    Is there a responsible party when it comes to pyrite, or is it a random thing?

150k for such a house in Dublin. Does it mean it is a complete wreck and needs to be knocked down?
    It is up the quarry to ensure that the aggregate is pyrite free, then it is up to the supervising site engineer to verify the aggregate is pyrite free.
    The developer/builder then should ensure that the materials used in construction are "fit for purpose", during the Celtic tiger years, many of the checks were simply not done.

The problem with pyrite is that it expands under certain conditions and this results in unstable foundations, over time the house will crack, heave & subside and eventually could become structurally unstable.

If you're lucky, the affects are limited and the house remains habitable for your lifetime, or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I thought the government had brought in redress for those affected by Pyrite, similar to what is getting underway in Donegal for the Mica saga.

• Advertisement

I actually googled it last night

https://www.propertyhealthcheck.ie/what-is-pyrite-in-houses/frequently-asked-questions-about-pyrite-testing/
    Removing the contaminated pyrite backfill is an expensive operation and in most cases will involve supporting the existing first floor, roof structure, removing the ground floor concrete floor, partition walls, replacement and removal of all plumbing fixtures, heating and electrical systems in the affected area, before the contaminated pyrite backfill can be removed
    IS THERE A Government SUBSIDY TO HELP HOMEOWNERS who have pyrite damaged houses?

There is currently no government initiative to assist or subsidise home owners to repair their pyrite damaged homes
    Should I take my builder or insurance company to court?

It is advisable to seek legal advice before thinking about taking legal action. In a number of high profile cases which have already gone to the courts it would appear that the courts are taking the side of home owners if contaminated pyrite backfill has been found under their floor slabs. Unfortunately as we can see from recent cases, that the Homebond insurance policy and most builders are not in a financial position to carry out these repairs even if you were to win your case.

Can estate agents for once deviate from the copy and paste "are delighted to bring X to the market"?

That's what I found so weird about it. It's the whole blurb but none of it matters because of the pyrite.

That's what I found so weird about it. It's the whole blurb but none of it matters because of the pyrite.

How could anyone be proud to be associated with the word "Pyrite"?

Not a FUPPIN' chance!!! The best you could do ...... (will someone with an understanding of pyrite help me please) is rent the heck out of the place until it falls apart and resell the site afterwards. Oh and put a timber log cabin in the garden.

You might want to be mindful that Balbriggan is not an up and coming area and has been in the news for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I don't think even a cash buyer would be interested in that (I certainly wouldn't). That said, hard to know the extent of the damage, but if it's bad, i'd be surprised if it would even be rentable (is that a word?)

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I don't think even a cash buyer would be interested in that (I certainly wouldn't). That said, hard to know the extent of the damage, but if it's bad, i'd be surprised if it would even be rentable (is that a word?)

150k? 1.5k x 12 months = 18k per year, no sign of let ups in the Dublin market minus tax? I dont know I still wouldnt take it. Deal with tennant and Balbirggan is becoming very difficult

Maybe it's worth it just for the site?

Maybe it's worth it just for the site?

Just checked the surround house prices at €220k approx. Tell the estate agent you will do them a favour and take it off their hands for 50k. Its a knock and rebuild job.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/balbriggan/14-chieftains-road-balbriggan-dublin-2000141/

This one is just down the road, it looks for the same price (150-180k) ...... wonder if the owners are declaring Pyrite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd hazard a guess and say that the broken tiles in the bathroom are as a result of the pyrite.

Advertisement