Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Colouring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

eoinob50 wrote: »
    Agree with this in the sense, the harder something is the greater the reward/ sense of accomplishment.

But this is not about achievement/ accomplishment but relaxation. respite from hard things. Even the Forces allow R and R! to refresh for more hard efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've tried mindful colouring a few times, it's been suggested to me by various therapists. It doesn't do much for me, but I find jigsaw puzzles great. Pure mindfulness. Each to their own I guess!

Oh and yeah I do sometimes share them on Facebook, I'm in a jigsaw puzzle enthusiasts group, yes there is such a thing! :o *cough*NERD*cough*

OK , groups thing wouldn't be for me but jigsaws have always been a way of mutual cooperation in the family and just spending time with people who are important to you. It's all good!

What an over-wrought effort to launch a personal attack

No personal attack was there though. You are just shifting into a persecution narrative to dodge rebutting a single point I actually made on the subject.

The personal attacks are yours alas - and in fact. Because all you are doing it taking things _you_ do not do and describing adults who do do them as "acting like children". Based on nothing at all but the fact children _also_ do them but _you_ do not.

So really the only personal attacks here are yours.
    that is what this specifically is, the subject of this thread, never mind the rest of your whataboutery.

The whataboutery only came from you though when you shifted the goal posts from a discussion on whether the practice has any benefits - into one about whether those benefits could be attained by other means.

Not one shred of what I wrote is whataboutery. That is just a buzz word you're usig to complete the dodge and deflect manoeuvrer.
    Are colouring books and colouring generally an activity associated with children? Yes, they are.

The majority of people who play football are children too. That does not mean football is a children's pursuit or that any adult playing football is acting like children. Another user above pointed out Jigsaws as another good example.

You are not just inventing a classification but a classification methodology. Which is fine if that is what you are into - but hardly anyone else appears to be using them - especially those who do _actual_ research on the topic compared to hand waving the word "research" and then performing verbal gymnastics to get away from citing a shred of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Odd how worked up some people get about an activity that others enjoy doing. Colouring is a great calmer for many. I've done it myself and really enjoyed the intricacy of the books. Its nice :)
    Aye it has to be the most harmless past time in the world like. More of a doodler/sketcher myself, did try the colouring books, not my thing but I can see how they'd be relaxing, fun, beneficial. It's just the weirdest thing to sh1t all over or condescend about.

I love (and have for many years loved) colouring in colouring books, or doodling on paper with pen, pencil or anything other kind of item of scribble. I also enjoy hand-painting T shirts with fabric paint, making very poor, amateur attempts to use oil paints, or slightly better efforts with water colours and had no idea until today that there existed people who would view these simple pleasures of mine as odd, or infantile. Not that it matters, but it surprised me to learn such responses exist.

It reminds me of those laughable articles that sometimes appear online or in magazines listing for people (usually women) the 5, 10, 20 (or whatever amount) of things the really should stop wearing or doing after age 30, 40, 50 etc.

I remember reading one of those lists, while wearing a pair of boxer boots that I loved and wore until they fell apart, and to my (faux) horror boxer boots were on the list and there was I, 10 years beyond the 'acceptable' cut off point, still turning up in public spaces wearing boots that were now verboten. I would have burned them there and then but I was afraid I might also have been too old for playing with fire :P

Don't know if it has already mentioned, maybe BOARDS could bring out a range of colouring books, one for kids and one for adults.

Colouring options need not be confined to mugshots of boardsies, but stuff in the models forum, like drones and model railways (I've done both) .

The culturally curious making up most people on this thread would surely snap it up surely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Never did it myself but have seen the coloring books in shops. For anyone stressed out or anxious why not if it calms them down. Could be a very effective cheap form of therapy, just look at how kids can get engrossed in coloring why not adults too. Am actually going to buy one and give it a go. Think we should all be doing more crafts but it seems there is never enough time.

I saw a lovely weave idea recently take an old picture frame and hammer in nails at intervals across the top and bottom portion of the frame then take a ball of wool and work from top to bottom, could make a nice bedroom hanging. Am also going to try this.Sorry if I’m off topic but love the whole idea of living more simply and being creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Colouring books , knitting , crocheting , crafting , reading a book , watching mindless tv , all these can work as an escapism from the thoughts in your head , as relaxation , an escape from reality at times . Whatever works for you is my thinking on it tbh :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

PAINTING IS A COMPANION WITH WHOM ONE MAY WALK A GREAT PART OF LIFE'S JOURNEY .

A quote from my favourite lepidopterist , WSC.

Painting As a Pastime and Hobbies:A personal Path To Creativity , are two of the great essays on the benefits of any creative pastime, prescient works far ahead of modern day fixation with mindfulness.

Back to OP , as to adult colouring books, how could I knock it, Ive been known to do a bit of silk painting of Celtic patterns myself. I find it very enjoyable , it transported my genetic memory back to an Irish monastery in the 6th Century.
    Its the bit about the need to posting EVERYTHING on FB that would bother me more than what they are actually doing in their spare time.
    Says he as he feels the need to post a random opinon on a random forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Is it alright if I continue to my "join the dots" puzzles?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

mental fragility is de rigueur

• Advertisement

Is it alright if I continue to my "join the dots" puzzles?

My AH answer: I'll turn a blind eye.

My answer in other forums like Current Affairs /IMHO: I'd report your post. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,141 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When my mum had a stroke that took her speech and a lot of movement on one side she was recommended to do colouring. I went to try and find a book that had clear, interesting pictures that was not childish, and eventually found one. Apparently 'colouring between the lines' is a significant skill after a stroke and very good for brain 'redevelopment' (or whatever the term is).

I am fascinated at how uptight people are getting at the notion of colouring. Its not something I would do personally, but there is huge satisfaction in a big pack of lovely colouring pencils or felt tips. Zentangling is a similar - but one step on - very relaxing and satisfying thing to do.

I recall years ago a woman at a women's meeting of some sort snorting and making a sarcastic remark about how much time I had to spare (as in 'I am a very busy farmer's wife') because I said I liked doing embroidery. She was willing to share discussion on tv soaps though, don't know how she found the time to watch them!

looksee wrote: »

I recall years ago a woman at a women's meeting of some sort snorting and making a sarcastic remark about how much time I had to spare (as in 'I am a very busy farmer's wife') because I said I liked doing embroidery. She was willing to share discussion on tv soaps though, don't know how she found the time to watch them!

Pot & Kettle at it's best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Yester wrote: »

Should've told her you do the embroidery while watching the soaps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Strictly not suitable for After Hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFCOm1P_cQQ

Anyone finding this interesting should be able to borrow a copy of

The Brain That Changes Itself ( Norman Doidge )

through the public library system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Where would one get an “Adult” colouring book, asking for a friend

looksee wrote: »
    When my mum had a stroke that took her speech and a lot of movement on one side she was recommended to do colouring. I went to try and find a book that had clear, interesting pictures that was not childish, and eventually found one. Apparently 'colouring between the lines' is a significant skill after a stroke and very good for brain 'redevelopment' (or whatever the term is).

I am fascinated at how uptight people are getting at the notion of colouring. Its not something I would do personally, but there is huge satisfaction in a big pack of lovely colouring pencils or felt tips. Zentangling is a similar - but one step on - very relaxing and satisfying thing to do.

I think the idea of encouraging your Mum to colour is to address "constructional apraxia " , its often to result of a stroke , from brain injury or some dementias.
    Its , I think the inability to copy or draw simple structures.

Hope your mums ok.

On a different topic , art therapy is a recognised treatment for individuals who've suffered significant trauma.

In adult store , a friend told me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Dealz often have them.

well, I am planning to pass peaceful hours abed ( perforce) watching youtube and knitting oddballs of cotton yarn into dishcloths, hand towels etc.. my form of colouring in that it is mindless and focussed away from stresses and troubles..

• Advertisement

Heh. No poster here has the guts to admit they would be found drawing an outline for a colouring book picture.
    Philistines the lot of ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Really? It never came up at all as a way to practice mindfulness while being active in a simple task?
    Care to give a link to your research?
    I've a Scopus account so can access academic publications.

Not all mental health professionals subscribe to it and it has come in for some criticism.
    Arghus wrote: »
    I'd probably be better off doing that than mindlessly scrolling the Internet on my phone to be honest.

Really? I do so much reading online, it never feels like a waste.

Odd how worked up some people get about an activity that others enjoy doing. Colouring is a great calmer for many. I've done it myself and really enjoyed the intricacy of the books. Its nice :)

The most worked up person in this thread is defending adult colouring though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

never got into them but can see the appeal.
    i like tetris for switching the brain off

The most worked up person in this thread is defending adult colouring though!

I thought the most worked up person was ridiculing the activity!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They were but ODB is being subjective in what constitutes 'worked up'.

at base, it seems as if folk have been (wrongly) indoctrinated to feel guilty that unless they are being productive, are working for ??money?? they are wasting time.

So colouring! NO !

It was wrong teaching! we all need "down time" ,, pleasure that has no strain, no obligation, no time limit... small wonder so much stress and illness

Nope, the person who thanked your post stood out to me.
    They were but ODB is being subjective in what constitutes 'worked up'.

Ahem.

You’re been quite judgemental yourself in this thread. Mindlessness isn’t universally praised.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nope, the person who thanked your post stood out to me.

Ahem.

You’re been quite judgemental yourself in this thread. Mindlessness isn’t universally praised.

I think you'll see I'm pretty impartial on colouring.

What gets me is someone claiming to have carried out research which proves it as a fallacy and yet refuse to provide any evidence of their work.

Anyone could steam in to a discussion and claim they've researched the topic just to appear knowledgeable and if they do, they should be asked to prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think you'll see I'm pretty impartial on colouring.

You’re certainly not pretty impartial, not even close to being impartial. Your very first post on the thread -

Surprisingly therapeutic.
    Lot better than playing candy crush or the like.

I gave my opinion that I think those who claim the activity has any tangible benefits are similar to those people who make claims about kitchen gadgets and fidget spinners may be helpful for children with autism or people with disabilities. Immediately you got snarky about it suggesting sarcastically that I had clearly done my research.

What gets me is someone claiming to have carried out research which proves it as a fallacy and yet refuse to provide any evidence of their work.

I didn’t refuse to provide any evidence of my work. I explained to you straight out that I couldn’t produce evidence of my work because I didn’t think to bother saving it. The reason I didn’t bother saving it is partly because it just wasn’t even remotely interesting to me, and on that basis I didn’t imagine I’d ever be asked to produce it at some point. I figured it would hardly come up because it’s plainly obvious that it’s just another fad with claimed benefits to elevate it above criticism.

Anyone could steam in to a discussion and claim they've researched the topic just to appear knowledgeable and if they do, they should be asked to prove it.

The last thing I care for appearing is knowledgeable. I assume by default that everyone on the internet is as dumb as I am, because we are all random strangers to each other here and when someone claims to speak from authority, I think that’s the fallacy you mean, like claiming they have a scopus account and can access academic publications. I thought to myself “so what?”, and that’s precisely why I said good for you, because whether you do or don’t have a scopus account or whether you can or can’t access academic publications has literally nothing to do with anything.

For what it’s worth btw -

Candy Crush could be as good for improving mental health as brain training app Lumosity

I just typed “candy crush benefits” into google. I’m as skeptical of those claims about the benefits of playing candy crush as I am about the claimed and perceived benefits any of those “brain training” games, as I am about claims regarding the benefits of adults engaging in activities normally associated with children. Of course if a person feels better when they feel like a child, they’re going to feel better when they engage in behaviour normally associated with children. Normally, it’s harmless escapism. When they start looking for validation on social media for their efforts, that’s when it gets a bit dodge, as they may not get the validation they’re seeking, the absence of which has a negative, as opposed to any potential positive effects on their mental health.

Advertisement