Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Colouring

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^^
    Hey, if you think using Google to look in to a subject and not saving that 'work' constitutes research, that's fine.

I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

^^^^
    Hey, if you think using Google to look in to a subject and not saving that 'work' constitutes research, that's fine.

I disagree.

You missed my point entirely (not unsurprisingly of course).

There’s plenty of research available on the effects of arrested development in adults.

I hated colouring as a kid. A few times in primary school we had homework that required colouring something in and I refused to do it; my parents often ended up doing it for me! :p I had no problem doing my other homework, always did my sums and my Irish sentences etc. by myself but colouring just bored the hell out of me and I never saw the point in it. Unsurprisingly, I was never good at art.

First time I heard about the whole "adult colouring" thing, I did think it seemed a little strange. But if people enjoy it and it helps their mental health then there's nothing at all wrong with it. I wouldn't go sharing the results on social media, seems a bit attention-seeking (maybe as a once-off, if it was a very complex piece that took a long time to complete, but definitely wouldn't post about it on a regular basis).....but then again I guess sharing anything at all on social media can be regarded as "attention-seeking" so maybe colouring is no different, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You missed my point entirely (not unsurprisingly of course).

There’s plenty of research available on the effects of arrested development in adults.

:confused:

referring to what, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

referring to what, please?

Referring to adults who are more comfortable behaving in a manner which is typically more associated with children. There are a couple of different terms for the phenomenon depending upon whom you ask, but lately researchers are suggesting that the phenomenon is more apparent in the 18 - 35 age group during a period of what is called “emerging adolescence” (or pre-adulthood I suppose, if you’re more comfortable with that term as the term arrested development has fallen out of favour) -

Arrested Adulthood: Pre-Adults Stuck Between Life Stages

• Advertisement

Referring to adults who are more comfortable behaving in a manner which is typically more associated with children. There are a couple of different terms for the phenomenon depending upon whom you ask, but lately researchers are suggesting that the phenomenon is more apparent in the 18 - 35 age group during a period of what is called “emerging adolescence” (or pre-adulthood I suppose, if you’re more comfortable with that term as the term arrested development has fallen out of favour) -

Arrested Adulthood: Pre-Adults Stuck Between Life Stages

That is nonsense. And you believe a US newspaper article e why? Averring we have to conform to high falutin ideas or be labelled!

Taking the joy and zest out of life... calling impetuous fun ....

deeply thankful I live where I do and can enjoy living free from such .... bunkum!

Small wonder folk get depressed; without some fun and frivolity we die inside.

Colour away folk! It is healthy and fun.

lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

We have regressed as a society. As little as twenty years ago, we practiced mindfulness as a matter of course. Spare time was more often spent doing things. Knitting, fixing the drain, gardening, whatever you were into. Now, Netflix, candy crush, boards, looking up wiki to figure out what adult colouring books are.

We have regressed as a society. As little as twenty years ago, we practiced mindfulness as a matter of course. Spare time was more often spent doing things. Knitting, fixing the drain, gardening, whatever you were into. Now, Netflix, candy crush, boards, looking up wiki to figure out what adult colouring books are.

disagree with the word mindfulness.. we simply enjoyed relaxing and were not pressured to "perform" 24/7

and at nearly 80 that is how I still live. enjoying what I do and doing what I enjoy. Taking time out seems to be thought of as weakness these days.

Result is more mental illness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Graces7 wrote: »
    disagree with the word mindfulness.. we simply enjoyed relaxing and were not pressured to "perform" 24/7

and at nearly 80 that is how I still live. enjoying what I do and doing what I enjoy.

Do not use netflix etc or social media; we have also forgotten how to be alone. i cut off boards etc mid afternoon until the following day

Taking time out seems to be thought of as weakness these days.

Result is more mental illness

Agree completely. I think one thing I would add is that before having internet access in your pocket, each task was carried out by itself, to completion, and then one would move on to the next. Only if there was something worrying or pressing, would you have unresolved issues on your mind throughout the day. Now there is a neverending stream of unresolved issues, from the fragmented nature of 'work' nowadays - where one must always be connected - to phone updates constantly distracting from the task at hand and reminding us of other unresolved tasks. When before we only allowed long overarching thoughts when there was a crisis, our brain is engaging this always on mode constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

I'm always surprised at how a topic as uncontroversial as this can turn into an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Good thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    I'm always surprised at how a topic as uncontroversial as this can turn into an argument.

Yeah well like that's just your opinion. Now put em' up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,203 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Interesting how many people are using the term mindfulness while not understanding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

looksee wrote: »
    Interesting how many people are using the term mindfulness while not understanding it.

Whats your understanding of what the word means?

Advertisement