Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Colouring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Reading about something on the internet then forming an opinion is not "research".

I had an adult colouring book, it was a foresty one. But my brown and green markers ran out and I couldn't justify to myself buying a whole new pack of markers every time my brown and greeens ran out and I got tired of blue squirrels, so I stopped colouring. It's fun though.
    Its expensive bein an artist! :(
    Thoie wrote: »
    Sure, learning to draw might be nice, but it requires dedication and commitment, which may just be "one thing too many" if you're already stressed.

Yeah I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reading about something on the internet then forming an opinion is not "research".

I had an adult colouring book, it was a foresty one. But my brown and green markers ran out and I couldn't justify to myself buying a whole new pack of markers every time my brown and greeens ran out and I got tired of blue squirrels, so I stopped colouring. It's fun though.

now you are tempting me... ;)

Thoie wrote: »
    Sure, learning to draw might be nice, but it requires dedication and commitment, which may just be "one thing too many" if you're already stressed.

Yeah I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Apart from people who suffer from mental health issues, I find adult coloring books an extremely odd pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Guys I can't talk ....i watch ASMR VIDEOS! It feels like dust falling on you!

I do think we can have a laugh at ourselves though sometimes.

Thats actually the best medicine.

I had to google that. Now I watch ASMR videos. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I was going to get one for my sister for a laugh one Christmas, until I went into Eason's and it was €13. Not a chance I'd pay that for a colouring book. I just checked online and they have some with "mindfulness" in the title which are nearly 20 quid :rolleyes: I saw them recently in the euro shop for €1.50

Mr Price have a good selection too.

Thought colouring wasn't art?

Thought colouring wasn't art?

Changed my mind if you will be my fwiend? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Who are people whining about being judgemental, when the OP specifically asks for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I don't think it would be for me. It's not magic or anything but if people enjoy it and feel they get something good from it then I don't see a problem and so what if they share it on Facebook.

The thread reminds me, I was sitting on the bus once and this man of about 60-65 was sitting across from me. He kept looking at me from over his glasses and then he was sketching something. I didn't think anything of it but after a while he said to me, 'here, it's for you. It's not complete but you have it' and he showed me the sketch proudly. It was a picture of Justin Biebers face :pac:

I said 'oh thanks very much' and I took it but I was around 25 at the time and definitely not into Justin Bieber! :) it was a nice gesture though and not a bad drawing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

More evidence of the infantilization of adults.
    Sure wasn't new research showing people don't grow up now untill their late 30s ffs!!!!

Humanity is ****ed, 2-3 more generations max.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OSI wrote: »
    My wife is a mental health practitioner, she's seen it give benefit to a number of her clients. It's widely discussed as a positive option in various studies and courses she's partaken in as being beneficial to patients for various things. We get it, you don't see the point but don't be a judgemental dick about it.

I’ll be a judgemental dick about adults behaving like children if I please to be honest. From yours or your wife’s perspective of course I understand why I would be considered a judgemental dick for questioning the efficacy of the activity in relation to it’s subjectively perceived benefits. I’m not suggesting your wife is a quack btw, but proclaiming your wife is a mental health professional as though it should immediately lend her opinion some authority is no different to someone claiming they’re an alternative therapy practitioner proclaiming the perceived benefits of whatever new fad happens to be trending in Western society.

As I suggested earlier, knock yourself out, and if you find it helps - fantastic, genuinely. But when you make claims about it’s benefits as though you have any legitimate objectivity, then expect to be treated with a degree of skepticism and derision proportionate to the level of your proclamations.

It’s not difficult to understand - the OP asks a question, people give their opinions. In my opinion suggesting that a children’s activity is in any way beneficial for people experiencing difficulties with their mental health, is no different to the fidget spinners for people with autism and kitchen gadgets for people with disabilities examples I gave earlier - it’s an attempt to put those ideas beyond criticism, and if someone has the temerity to criticise them, well naturally they’re a dick who hasn’t done any research on the subject.

Coming from adults who enjoy childish activities which are an achievement for children and actually do help with their physical and mental development, such as hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, imagination and creativity and so on, the idea of it being an achievement worth sharing on social media that an adult can colour between the lines, seems somewhat overstated as something I would expect most children are capable of, never mind adults, even adults with intellectual disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

More evidence of the infantilization of adults.
    Sure wasn't new research showing people don't grow up now untill their late 30s ffs!!!!

Humanity is ****ed, 2-3 more generations max.

Link please Monsieur Professor.

Objectivity is the standard I mentioned. I said nothing about exclusivity.

The word "exclusivity" was my choice of word not yours. I am referring - quite clearly I thought - to your having imported in the standard of things which "offers benefits that are unattainable by any other means."

I have heard of piss poor reasoning before - but this is the first instance of poor piss reasoning I have encountered :)

You imported that standard out of nowhere - using piss drinking as the vehicle to do it - then instantly applied it to Adult Coloring in the next sentence "I’m not convinced of any objective benefit that couldn’t be derived from an infinite number of other activities".

The point being that whether Adult Coloring offers benefits or not - and whether those benefits are worth pursuing or not - the fact some or all of the same benefits might be attainable be one or some combination of other methods - appears only to be relevant to you. It certainly is not relevant to anyone actually studying these things that I have yet seen.

Rather what appears to have happened here is you claimed to have done research - someone called you on this at which point you could not produce any research at all - so you moved the goalposts to one _much_ easier to defend and in fact one which I doubt anyone here would even disagree with.
    Well colour me surprised

Hardly. As I said it appears things that both children and adults do only get called infantile, childish, or adults acting like children - if they are things you are personally not into. When they are things you are directly or indirectly into - suddenly that standard seems to get forgotten.

Things are not infantile just because they happen to be things children also do. Colouring in pictures is the example here - Public displays of affection would be another one where you appear to apply this weird standard - and as I said talking to your imaginary friend would appear to be infantile too were we to be using such a lax and nonsense standard.
    I’ll be a judgemental dick about adults behaving like children if I please to be honest.

Sure but not once have I seen you use the phrase "adults behaving like children" and actually shown it was adults behaving like children.

Both adults and children do many things the other group does - this does not magically mean one is acting like the other. And even when it does - it does not mean it is going in the direction you imagine either.
    But when you make claims about it’s benefits as though you have any legitimate objectivity, then expect to be treated with a degree of skepticism and derision proportionate to the level of your proclamations.

And when you claim to have done research but then seemingly can not cite a word of it - you should expect the same treatment. I referred to some research above myself too without citing it. Damn sure if someone asks me to - I will however.
    In my opinion suggesting that a children’s activity

It is not a "children's" activity though. That is your classification. It is just an activity. One that anyone of any age can engage in. You are a catholic if I recall correctly. Like many children - many of your catholic peers talk to their imaginary friend. That does not mean it is a "Children's activity". It is just an activity that both children and adults do.

What about football? Kids start that from age 5. Grown adults do that too. It is a sport. Not a children's activity. Arts and crafts is a category too - and not one defined by the people who actually do it.
    it’s an attempt to put those ideas beyond criticism

I do not see a single person putting the ideas beyond criticism. Quite the opposite in fact. The research I mentioned above and - unlike you - am willing to cite on request - is very critical of it and attempts to ascertain if there actually is any benefit to it - and if there is is it doing so directly or indirectly by being a vehicle to smuggle in other things that are actually beneficial.

So no - the goal here is not to put it beyond criticism but to ensure criticism is informed and educated and well thought out and well founded - and not simply dismissal based on piss poor (and poor piss) reasoning based on imaginary research and false classification around words like infantile.
    the idea of it being an achievement worth sharing on social media that an adult can colour between the lines

So in order to deride them you are inventing on their behalf their motivations for why they chose to share it. I think that says everything about you and literally nothing about them to be honest.

There are any number of reasons to share such things on line. Such as - as another user above pointed out - if you feel it really did benefit you then in sharing it on social media you might end up sharing the practice with someone else who it will also benefit.

That they are sharing it on line to show other people what they are capable of - is your narrative and I doubt it is often theirs.

Apart from people who suffer from mental health issues, I find adult coloring books an extremely odd pursuit.

Perhaps in isolation it seems so. But if you look at the bigger picture (heh) of what most people do with their free time most of the time - it is relatively speaking not all that odd at all.

Watching the fictitious lives of a collection of drama queens in shows like Coronation Street and Eastenders? Reading page after pages of peoples nonsense on Twitter Facebook or Instagram? Collecting Stamps? Drinking yourself to the point of incapacitation and memory black out? The list goes on.

We are an odd species with odd pursuits at the best of times. Many or even most of which we are unlikely to lie on our death beds thinking things like "Well whatever else I did with my life I am happy I watched that love triangle story line on Coronation Street to the end!".

I’ll be a judgemental dick about adults behaving like children if I please to be honest. From yours or your wife’s perspective of course I understand why I would be considered a judgemental dick for questioning the efficacy of the activity in relation to it’s subjectively perceived benefits. I’m not suggesting your wife is a quack btw, but proclaiming your wife is a mental health professional as though it should immediately lend her opinion some authority is no different to someone claiming they’re an alternative therapy practitioner proclaiming the perceived benefits of whatever new fad happens to be trending in Western society.

As I suggested earlier, knock yourself out, and if you find it helps - fantastic, genuinely. But when you make claims about it’s benefits as though you have any legitimate objectivity, then expect to be treated with a degree of skepticism and derision proportionate to the level of your proclamations.

It’s not difficult to understand - the OP asks a question, people give their opinions. In my opinion suggesting that a children’s activity is in any way beneficial for people experiencing difficulties with their mental health, is no different to the fidget spinners for people with autism and kitchen gadgets for people with disabilities examples I gave earlier - it’s an attempt to put those ideas beyond criticism, and if someone has the temerity to criticise them, well naturally they’re a dick who hasn’t done any research on the subject.

Coming from adults who enjoy childish activities which are an achievement for children and actually do help with their physical and mental development, such as hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, imagination and creativity and so on, the idea of it being an achievement worth sharing on social media that an adult can colour between the lines, seems somewhat overstated as something I would expect most children are capable of, never mind adults, even adults with intellectual disabilities.

Most stuff people share on social media is banal beyond belief though.

A coloring book isn't really gona make any difference at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Odd how worked up some people get about an activity that others enjoy doing. Colouring is a great calmer for many. I've done it myself and really enjoyed the intricacy of the books. Its nice :)

Aye it has to be the most harmless past time in the world like. More of a doodler/sketcher myself, did try the colouring books, not my thing but I can see how they'd be relaxing, fun, beneficial. It's just the weirdest thing to sh1t all over or condescend about.

You said that you have done research on this topic specifically but refuse to produce it or provide a link to it.

It's either you are BS'ing and haven't done any peer reviewed research or don't want your opinion challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Link please Monsieur Professor.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47622059

That doesn't say that people don't grow up until their late 30's.
    Scientists who study the brain and nervous system say the age at which you become an adult is different for everyone.

"There isn't a childhood and then an adulthood. People are on a pathway, they're on a trajectory."

Also, they are not implying that people are treated differently than they are now.

Do you think you went to bed as a 17 year old child and woke up as a mature 18 year old adult?

• Advertisement

Sure but not once have I seen you use the phrase "adults behaving like children" and actually shown it was adults behaving like children.

It is not a "children's" activity though. That is your classification.

What an over-wrought effort to launch a personal attack on anyone who questions the practice of adults behaving like children, and that is what this specifically is, the subject of this thread, never mind the rest of your whataboutery.

Are colouring books and colouring generally an activity associated with children? Yes, they are.

Are adults who behave like children, adults who behave like children? Yes, they are.

Do I judge them for it? Absolutely.

Do I express an opinion on a topic without being asked for my opinion on it? Nope.

Lot of overthinking going on here... going out to smell the daisies myself. Much more adult and healthy.

OSI wrote: »
    Are you now equating the treatment of mental health and it's practitioners to that of alternate therapies?

No, I’m not. I’m pointing out that simply the fact that your wife is a mental health professional who sees the benefits of an activity is no different than an alternative therapy practitioner who sees the benefits of an activity they promote. I know enough quacks who are regarded as mental health professionals (what a vague term, but ok) to know that they are often prone to mixing their personal opinion with their professional opinion. In any other area that would simply be recognised as bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Funny the way this thread developed

I dont see adult colouring as being much different to adults doing jigsaws.

I believe Melinda and Bill Gates like to do jigsaws.

Good luck to them all is my view :)

Perhaps in isolation it seems so. But if you look at the bigger picture (heh) of what most people do with their free time most of the time - it is relatively speaking not all that odd at all.

Watching the fictitious lives of a collection of drama queens in shows like Coronation Street and Eastenders? Reading page after pages of peoples nonsense on Twitter Facebook or Instagram? Collecting Stamps? Drinking yourself to the point of incapacitation and memory black out? The list goes on.

We are an odd species with odd pursuits at the best of times. Many or even most of which we are unlikely to lie on our death beds thinking things like "Well whatever else I did with my life I am happy I watched that love triangle story line on Coronation Street to the end!".

I take your point but it just seems to me to be very, I dunno, infantile?

I get that is has benefits for people who suffer from mental health issues and can help relax people and fair play to them, but grown adults sitting down with a coloring book is a bit odd to me but then again, if it's your thing, go for it sure. Worse you could be at.

Horses for courses I guess, not going to be hypocritical either because I collect and have interests in stuff I'm sure some here would find ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

0lddog wrote: »
    Funny the way this thread developed

I dont see adult colouring as being much different to adults doing jigsaws.

I believe Melinda and Bill Gates like to do jigsaws.

Good luck to them all is my view :)

Jesus if we start one about jigsaws it might end in actual murder!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Aye it has to be the most harmless past time in the world like. More of a doodler/sketcher myself, did try the colouring books, not my thing but I can see how they'd be relaxing, fun, beneficial. It's just the weirdest thing to sh1t all over or condescend about.

some people only have one tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

:eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I would murder a jigsaw right now.

• Advertisement

Yester wrote: »
    I would murder a jigsaw right now.

as a child I loved them! oh my what memories.. and the same features; eyes focussed, all else excluded... mind occupied and peacefully

Advertisement