Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I remember getting paid when I was in my 20s. Best day of the week/month. Now, in my mid 30's, payday is a reminder of how broke I'm going to be before the next pay day. Adulting is fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I did and online survey yesterday. At the end there were a few general questions asked. There were five options for 'Age' and I'm now the second oldest section (45-54). :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,515 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I did and online survey yesterday. At the end there were a few general questions asked. There were five options for 'Age' and I'm now the second oldest section (45-54). :(

or when they have the year of birth as a dropdown list and you have scroll for ages to find yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

or when they have the year of birth as a dropdown list and you have scroll for ages to find yours.

I think one of the first signs or realisations is when you are asked your age and you actually have to think aboutit and do the math - up to a certain age you just know what age you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,825 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When you first leave school. You'd still know a few people in your local secondary school. You may even know friends siblings in the primary school.
    Now you relies you know nobody apart from maybe your friends/family children starting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I was getting a skincare treatment and they starting telling me the deals I could get on botox and fillers for my fine lines.I know it's probably their standard upselling but I'm not even 30 yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think one of the first signs or realisations is when you are asked your age and you actually have to think aboutit and do the math - up to a certain age you just know what age you are.

I know what age i am sob:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

file.php?id=34

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

remembering the moon landing (only vaguely of course!) and knowing I definitely won't be around for the 100th anniversary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,953 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Bobblehats wrote: »
    file.php?id=34

Oh lord , I haven't a clue who they are :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

is_that_so wrote: »
    When you realise how old your email address is!:o

When you have firstnamelastname@gmail.com (substitute actual names) because of getting in there first

Myself and two siblings have that. I get so much misdirected stuff. I wonder if the other person with my name ever got his tickets to Fleetwood Mac!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If my very first CD (Placebo 1996) were human they'd be finished college and gainfully employed by now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Mam of 4 wrote: »

It’s The Rolling Stones FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,515 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

L1011 wrote: »
    When you have firstnamelastname@gmail.com (substitute actual names) because of getting in there first

Myself and two siblings have that. I get so much misdirected stuff. I wonder if the other person with my name ever got his tickets to Fleetwood Mac!

come back to me when you firstnamelastname@hotmail.com

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It’s The Rolling Stones FFS

Come on now Jimmy Page on the right. Or is that the left

• Advertisement

/doubled up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

kasper schmeichel is 32 I remember when his dad was younger than that

Stone Roses Ian Brown still looks the same.

Even though the fella in the suede looks like Compo from Last of The Summer Wine

dubstarr wrote: »
    Stone Roses Ian Brown still looks the same.

Even though the fella in the suede looks like Compo from Last of The Summer Wine

Thank you :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

peasant wrote: »
    Explaining to people you work with that when you started working a fax machine was a new invention....that you actually had a operate a telex machine.

(and still a lot more than 10 years to go until retirement)

Worse still when you have to explain what a comptometer is.

• Advertisement

When your Garda ID is fading away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Hey now! I was using a telex machine in 1988. It's not that long ago.
    and who are those old chaps? I can't recognise any of them, honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,535 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

When your Garda ID is fading away!

When you're old enough to have gotten served with a sibling's birth cert back in the day. All you had to do was rattle off the DOB.

When you're old enough to have gotten served with a sibling's birth cert back in the day. All you had to do was rattle off the DOB.

I was in a hotel in 2008 and it said the accepted birth certs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,535 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I was in a hotel in 2008 and it said the accepted birth certs.

When you realise you could have the parent of someone using a birth cert to buy alcohol in 2008!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Bought a nose and ear trimmer today. 46. Works great ! 6 euros in dealz.

Old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think THEY do either :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

Because of the weekend’s special anniversary, I can remember where I was 50 years ago. I believe man really walked on the moon because I saw it in black and white.

There a very famous band from South Korea called BTS and I never heard of them until recently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

well, my decision is to live the old ways as much as I can..embracing my old age... When I came to the island I was five months with no electricity ( council chaos) and managed fine. Now no washing machine etc and back to childhood for me ... as long as I have the internet of course ;) Rusticating gently and peacefully out here.. far less wearing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Redsky121 wrote: »
    I remember when Georgia Salpa was still in the tabloids.

I remember when she was the Fas ad girl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

When a load of the cars I've owned as my daily runaround are now much sought after classics. :o

When you remember that buzzing sound the TV would make when your mobile phone rang/whilst you you talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

They're Educating todays children on Personal Hygene, Healthy Eating, The Dangers of the Internet, The Birds and the Bees, What is or isn't approopriate to say or do to another person, Manners . . . . .
    You know - basically the things that our parents taught us..

This. There is only so much time in a school day to teach everything and you have kids coming in with no lunches, can't tie their shoelaces, no pencils, ruler or rubber but yet have the latest console and tablets at home. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

1970 still feels like 30 years ago to me. 1980 is like 20 years ago etc. I think time basically stood still for me in 2000!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

1970 still feels like 30 years ago to me. 1980 is like 20 years ago etc. I think time basically stood still for me in 2000!

Sure 2000 was only last New Year's Eve in my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

When you remember when George Foreman had hair,heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

When you remember when George Foreman had hair,heh.
    When you notice that your George Foreman grill is so old that’s it’s growing hair..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

The sun baby in teletubbies now has a baby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's been 9 presidents of Ireland.
    Only 2 of these predate me!
    That's to say, we were only on our third present when I was born.

Sorry to tell certain posters this but eh,

John Craven is 78 years old.

I should probably post a link to the AH "help" thread, just in case:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082164

There's been 9 presidents of Ireland.
    Only 2 of these predate me!
    That's to say, we were only on our third present when I was born.

#metoo :D

Not being able to remember the name of Rice Krispies earlier.And calling them Snap,Crackle and Pop.Much to the amusement of my kids.Happening a bit to often for my liking.

FFred wrote: »
    When you notice that your George Foreman grill is so old that’s it’s growing hair..

When you still have (and use ) one of the original GF grills :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

When you realise that your date of birth is closer to the release of the classic silent films Battleship Potemkin and The Gold Rush than today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Most actresses these days are younger than you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Events I remember well in my lifetime being taught in school history class.

I was browsing WH Smith in Belfast last weekend and saw a study guide for a History syllabus. On the front cover was a big picture of Saddam Hussein's statue being pulled down after the invasion in 2003. So yeah, clearly this event I remember well and protested against (Iraq war itself) vociferously is now being taught in History classes here in the north. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Realising that 1995 wasn't just a few years ago, like it is in my head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I was browsing a 2nd hand/vintage site the other day and it appears that crappy plasticky midi systems from the late 80s and early 90s have earned a certain cachet. I'm not talking about good quality hi-fi separates that still sound great but garbage 3/4-in-ones from amstrad, grundig, texet etc. It seems that the ones with the most useless gimics like hundreds of buttons, levers, light-up equalisers etc are the most valuable-going for 2 or 3 hundred euros a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

sabat wrote: »
    I was browsing a 2nd hand/vintage site the other day and it appears that crappy plasticky midi systems from the late 80s and early 90s have earned a certain cachet. I'm not talking about good quality hi-fi separates that still sound great but garbage 3/4-in-ones from amstrad, grundig, texet etc. It seems that the ones with the most useless gimics like hundreds of buttons, levers, light-up equalisers etc are the most valuable-going for 2 or 3 hundred euros a pop.

Damn it, I threw away one of those not long ago. My dad asked me why I had that sh1te clogging up his attic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement