Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Options

Comments

Seeing the 'Floppy Disk' icon for to save your work in Windows applications (I'm using MS Access 2019 right now) and knowing I am one of a dwindling number of people who used the floppy disk to save anything when I was in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Seeing the 'Floppy Disk' icon for to save your work in Windows applications (I'm using MS Access 2019 right now) and knowing I am one of a dwindling number of people who used the floppy disk to save anything when I was in college.

yeah but are you old enough to remember when floppy disks were actually floppy?

Yes. Using Apple II floppy disks. Being told that each of them cost 40 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

The girl who just beat Serena Williams at Wimbledon was born in 2004 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Blimey, you're nearly as old as me :) do your knees hurt walking down stairs as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I can remember an Apple II coming to our school and everyone oohing and aahing over it. All it had were two floppy discs. No hard drive, no networking, no colour or 3D graphics...

300px-Apple_II_tranparent_800.png

My Commodore 64 didn't evan have a floppy drive. You recorded to and loaded from audio tape.

c2n.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I was tidying through home office recently and found a box with Floppy's, Zip Drives and Mini-Discs in it.
    I held on to them purely for nostalgia sake but I was looking at them thinking how much things have changed. Memory sticks are hardly being used now even!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm old either old enough to remember that, and that you could make them double sided with a hole punch!

Or young enough to have been waaaaay ahead of my time when I was doing that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

storker wrote: »
    I can remember an Apple II coming to our school and everyone oohing and aahing over it. All it had were two floppy discs. No hard drive, no networking, no colour or 3D graphics...

My Commodore 64 didn't evan have a floppy drive. You recorded to and loaded from audio tape.

c2n.gif

I had the tape deck, and the 5.25" floppy drive for mine.
    The C64's cartridge slot was a game changer, not enough good games available for it tho, and didn't really get used until the end of the life cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

young ones: I'm 18

me: when we're you born ?

young ones: 2001

me: that's not possible !!!!????

• Advertisement

young ones: I'm 18

me: when we're you born ?

young ones: 2001

me: that's not possible !!!!????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Not being able to handle a night out anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When you see a bunch of 18 years olds who used believe in Santa in about 2010/2011 out drinking/going to college/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

When you’re children played Flimbos Quest on the Commodore 64!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

When the first friend I made at collage became a Great Grand-mother.

Yeah, she was (sadly she died of cancer 9 months ago) 6 years old than me, and I did start collage aged 16, and she was a very very young great grandmother but still... my close friend who I had some mad sessions with was a little boy's great grandmother. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

When you are reading a youtube comment section about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis near the end of WW2 and hardly anyone 'gets' the Jaws Quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i have an original Walkman. kids are fascinated/horrified that i used it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

When I thought my 10 speed racer was the height of transport technology

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

storker wrote: »

c2n.gif

You know, I'm looking at that and thinking at least I was around when things were good, and not all just mobile phones, selfies and fùckin eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

When people younger than you start dying, I am only mid 40,s and in the last 6 months my friends brother died at 41 heart failure, ex work colleague younger than me had a massive stroke and died.. another lad I play five a side with died from massive heart-attack aged only 48.
    Definitely feeling less and less invincible the last year or so and to be honest has frightened the **** out of me... haven’t touched a takeaway in months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Remembering Arctic ice sheets...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Footballers born in the 1990's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pamela anderson being 51

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

dd973 wrote: »
    Footballers born in the 1990's.

Some footballers born in the 90s are nearing their 30s now. So that should make you feel extra older

retalivity wrote:
    Pamela anderson being 51

and having HIV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

A Colleague (a teacher) at her retirement do said when kids tell you that you taught my mum/dad you know you're getting old but when they say you taught my granny, its time to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    You know, I'm looking at that and thinking at least I was around when things were good, and not all just mobile phones, selfies and fùckin eejits.

I had a commodore as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

When you look at TOTP 2 and say 'that was only a couple of yea........oh sh**'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

nails1 wrote: »
    Some footballers born in the 90s are nearing their 30s now. So that should make you feel extra older

Cori Gauff who beat Venus Williams out of Wimbledon was born in 2004, basically yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm in my 40th year.

Advertisement