Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oscars 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, this Oscars hasn't even happened yet and already feels like a bit, flabby anticlimax.

Hollywood's too much of a self-perpetuating beast, built of wonky economics for the ceremony to disappear completely, but does seem like it's becoming more irrelevant and broken with each passing year.

That's a truly awful list of Best Movies, vacillating from the 'yeah, it was good, but not that good' to the 'seriously, that?'; and as bang average as Black Panther was outside of the cultural context, I'd like to see it win just because it at least it has some form of merit attached. And an MCU film winning Best Picture would kinda feel like a hilarious troll...

Though on that note, Black Panther does NOT feel like it came out in 2018; maybe Infinity Wars stole the march, but I'd have sworn BP was a 2017 film ... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Colman could cause an upset for Close or Gaga for best actress

My money is on Close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

AllForIt wrote: »
    My money is on Close.

She is long overdue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I actually think it's a pretty good mix of films by Oscar standards. The fact that I consider the two most nominated films (Roma, The Favourite) to be fully worthy of praise makes this a pretty good year from my point of view. I'm lukewarm to indifferent on the rest of the Best Picture nominees (bar Vice which I haven't seen yet). As already said, Black Panther and Green Book are more about cultural politics than the films themselves which are average at best. And Bohemiam and Star is Born are popular crowd pleasers which scratch a particular itch that audiences have at the moment. Main issue this year is that nobody seems to care. There's no underdog or front runner to get excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,310 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    She is long overdue
    She should have won for dangerous liasons.
    It's probably a bit like scorcese winning for the departed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

gmisk wrote: »
    She should have won for dangerous liasons.
    It's probably a bit like scorcese winning for the departed.

She was also excellent in Fatal Attraction and Albert Nobbs.

I really hope she wins this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I loved Roma and would love to see it win but something tells me that the fact it's a foreign language, black and white Netflix film means we may see an upset.

I can't see any upsets in any of the acting categories unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The fact that I consider the two most nominated films (Roma, The Favourite) to be fully worthy of praise makes this a pretty good year from my point of view.

Yeah I'm completely down with those two films' dominance as well - I think there were a few other films that should be up in those top categories as well (Beale Street first and foremost) but if either or both of those two pick up a decent bunch of awards I'd be fairly happy with that. They're both IMO among the best of the best recent films - you don't always get to say that about any of the nominees, so we'll see how they fare.

Personally, I feel there's a good bunch of exceptional nominees in some of the other categories. I think the animation selection is particularly strong this year - it'll go to Spider-Man (deservedly), but would be delighted to see either Isle of Dogs or Mirai win either. Also have my fingers crossed for Minding the Gap as it's a beautiful film that in an ideal world wouldn't just be stuck in the documentary category. Nicholas Brittell's work on Beale Street is also astounding, so hoping that wins best score.

Can anyone explain to me why Malek is such a strong favourite in essentially his first big film when he was some sort of Mercury/Jagger hybrid and they made Leo pretty much wait 20 years to "earn it"?

The Oscars makes no sense to me at the best of times. Just narratives that gain momentum and everyone jumps on board. Every year is different. I just don't think Bohemian Rhapsody should be anywhere near these awards. Whole film felt cheap and underwhelming to me.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I loved Roma and would love to see it win but something tells me that the fact it's a foreign language, black and white Netflix film means we may see an upset.

I can't see any upsets in any of the acting categories unfortunately.
    It's excellent but it isn't even the best black and white foreign film for me this year...Cold War is stunning.

• Advertisement

A lot of nailed on favourites ATM.

Looks like Glenn close will get lead actress it should be Olivia Coleman imo.

Ali will get best supporting actor probably I would defo give that one to Richard E Grant.

Roma looks favourites for best picture as well.

I think Bradley Cooper really deserved a nod for best director as well.

Some films that definitely for me deserved some recognition

Leave no trace
    Old man and the gun
    Widows
    Hereditary (well toni Colette)
    And
    Er paddington 2...seriously

Can anyone explain to me why Malek is such a strong favourite in essentially his first big film when he was some sort of Mercury/Jagger hybrid and they made Leo pretty much wait 20 years to "earn it"?

The Oscars makes no sense to me at the best of times. Just narratives that gain momentum and everyone jumps on board. Every year is different. I just don't think Bohemian Rhapsody should be anywhere near these awards. Whole film felt cheap and underwhelming to me.
    I actually thought he gave a really good performance in a pretty ok at best film, he elevated the material (which was very safe, and sanitized due to May and Taylors involvement) I wouldn't personally give it to him.
    Would have loved to have seen what Sacha Baron Cohen or Ben Whishaw would have done with the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this isn't worth staying up for right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Awesome!

Have the given Glenn Close her Oscar yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Some significant live market movements for Best Dir award to: Yorgos Lanthimos.

Would like to see Bohemian Rhapsody take best movie also an outsider.

Reports of potential leak for Best Dir (Yorgos Lanthimos) 50/1 into 3/1

Of course, could well be a false positive from the hype machine. Afterall Holywood is good at keeping it's secrets under wraps, unless it benefits from publicity.

Spike Lee might also suit best Dir, as non-white males will benefit from added leverage this year.

The first award goes to a black woman. Well deserved I'm sure.

It's just sickening the way The Oscars has gone all politically correct, whether that award was richly deserved or not.

It used to be a fun event but now it's totally ruined by politics.

Oh, and as I write, Jenifer Hudson is up to do yet another performance at the Oscars. Wasn't that long ago she did one if memory serves.

Yours,
    Black Panther.

So far all the presenters are a couple who are 1 white and 1 black. This policy is totally ridiculous.

As far as feminism is concerned at least they can't complain that a woman wins best actress but I'm sure in due course they will complain that only men win best actor.

they should cut the people who just read out list of names

Another black win. Let's hope and the end of ceremony it's 50 black 50 white in terms of wins. Despite the fact that blacks hardly make up 15% of the ppl involved in movie making.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's just sickening the way The Oscars has gone all politically correct, whether that award was richly deserved or not.

You must surely realise how utterly preposterous this sentence is, right?

And yes, it was richly deserved: superb performance in an extraordinary film.

Serena Williams, that well know actress, introduces a segment.

Actually, I correct myself. She's quite a good actress.

Who could have forgotten this performance. Deserved an Oscar for it really.

Edit: The really really funny side of having her on is they simply couldn't find enough black actors in the business so they just got some some random black person on. This is laughable and utterly pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Awesome!

Have the given Glenn Close her Oscar yet?

She's wearing it :p

this isn't worth staying up for right?

Never is

Didn't like the film, but her performance was exceptional, so I wouldn't begrudge her the Oscar (she should have got one for Ray anyway, so this makes up for it).

https://twitter.com/theGrio/status/1099842684909436929

Black Panther, you know that movie with no white ppl in it, is northing more than an average sci-fi movie of the ilk of XMen but nowhere near as good. To have it up for best picture is the biggest Oscars joke of all time.

Oh I agree with you there alright.

Mahershala Ali, you know that black man, (seems to be a theme of this evening, who knew) wins another Oscar. Only ever seen him in House of Cards. Didn't come across as a top actor to me in all seriousness.

And now to introduce the next segment, a black man and a white woman. Lovely.

Down with those white males. uggh.

Actually enjoying the show more than usual. Better without a host imo. It's flowing nicely.

• Advertisement

Actually enjoying the show more than usual. Better without a host imo. It's flowing nicely.

No I much prefer The Oscars of old, as presented by that awful white person Billy Crystal for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

First Man gets Visual Effects award.

Personally think it should be up on that stage for a few of the other awards.

Original Score - Black Panther

Laughable. Even the audience aren't buying that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That death glare from Melissa McCarthy there...

Glenn Close tempted fate by wearing a gold colored dress.

Sweet acceptance speech by Olivia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

7th time unlucky for poor Glenn Close. Shame, I really thought it was her time.

• Advertisement

Green Book gets best picture.

wtf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Glenn Close was 1/20 to win with some bookies :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Nominated 7 times, at 71 you’d imagine that was her last opportunity. Streep has been nominated 21 times (won 3)!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Go diversity!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 phoebees

The performance of Lady Gaga of Bradley Cooper is amazing!

Black Panther, you know that movie with no white ppl in it, is northing more than an average sci-fi movie of the ilk of XMen but nowhere near as good. To have it up for best picture is the biggest Oscars joke of all time.
    Andy serkis and Martin Freeman are black now?

The Oscars have had some bad films nominated for best film shocker...the category has also expanded in number. Also it's the Oscars chill out.

I am noticing a slight pattern to your posts...

Also Billy Crystals last time hosting was a disaster he has had so much plastic surgery he now looks like an egg. I am guessing your less of a fan of whoopi Goldberg hosting?

Delighted for Colman she deserved it, she was even better in tyrannosaur imo.

Mahershala Ali, you know that black man, (seems to be a theme of this evening, who knew) wins another Oscar. Only ever seen him in House of Cards. Didn't come across as a top actor to me in all seriousness.

Have you seen the film?
    He also won an Oscar before in 2016.

White males oh the suppression of it all! I feel suppressed I don't know about you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Didn’t watch it as it’s been a joke for years. Not surprised that the usual ways of winning an Oscar ticked all the boxes, Brit playing a Royal, AIDS, Racism. No host either in case they offend the disgusting metoo movement or other snowflakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Best Picture
    Green Book – Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelongadouble-dagger
    Best Director
    Alfonso Cuarón – Romadouble-dagger
    Best Actor
    Rami Malek – Bohemian Rhapsody as Freddie Mercury double-dagger
    Best Actress
    Olivia Colman – The Favourite as Anne, Queen of Great Britain double-dagger
    Best Supporting Actor
    Mahershala Ali – Green Book as Don Shirleydouble-dagger
    Best Supporting Actress
    Regina King – If Beale Street Could Talk as Sharon Riversdouble-dagger
    Best Original Screenplay
    Green Book – Written by Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie & Peter Farrellydouble-dagger
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    BlacKkKlansman – Screenplay by Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee; based on the book by Ron Stallworthdouble-dagger
    Best Animated Feature Film
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse – Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman, Phil Lord and Christopher Millerdouble-dagger
    Best Foreign Language Film
    Roma (Mexico) in Spanish and Mixtec – Directed by Alfonso Cuaróndouble-dagger
    Best Documentary – Feature
    Free Solo – Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Jimmy Chin, Evan Hayes and Shannon Dilldouble-dagger
    Best Documentary – Short Subject
    Period. End of Sentence. – Rayka Zehtabchi and Melissa Bertondouble-dagger
    Best Live Action Short Film
    Skin – Guy Nattiv and Jaime Ray Newmandouble-dagger
    Best Animated Short Film
    Bao – Domee Shi and Becky Neiman-Cobbdouble-dagger
    Best Original Score
    Black Panther – Ludwig Göranssondouble-dagger
    Best Original Song
    Shallow from A Star Is Born – Music and Lyrics by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyattdouble-dagger
    Best Sound Editing
    Bohemian Rhapsody – John Warhurst and Nina Hartstonedouble-dagger
    Best Sound Mixing
    Bohemian Rhapsody – Paul Massey, Tim Cavagin and John Casalidouble-dagger
    Best Production Design
    Black Panther – Hannah Beachler (production design); Jay Hart (set decoration)double-dagger
    Best Cinematography
    Roma – Alfonso Cuaróndouble-dagger
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling
    Vice – Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe and Patricia Dehaneydouble-dagger
    Best Film Editing
    Bohemian Rhapsody – John Ottmandouble-dagger
    Best Visual Effects
    First Man – Paul Lambert, Ian Hunter, Tristan Myles and J. D. Schwalmdouble-dagger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hard to take you seriously if you didn't know that Mahershala Ali won 2 years ago for his role in Moonlight.

He was good in House of Cards too but his Oscar wins are nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really surprised at Green Book's win.

I enjoyed it and it has its charms but for me it was a buddies on a road trip movie and did not really tackle the subjects of racism or segregation in depth but the film is being promoted as doing exactly that.

It has scenes where the black character is discriminated against but in a very predictable way but does not get into the effect on him nor does it explore the white character's own racism despite implying it would at the start.

I thought Roma would have won it and i think it should have.

I don't get how Cuaron can win the best director award and then not get the best film. For me those two awards should always be linked. If you've been the best director then surely you've made the best film?

Elmo wrote: »
    Best Picture
    Green Book – Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelongadouble-dagger
    Best Director
    Alfonso Cuarón – Romadouble-dagger
    Best Actor
    Rami Malek – Bohemian Rhapsody as Freddie Mercury double-dagger
    Best Actress
    Olivia Colman – The Favourite as Anne, Queen of Great Britain double-dagger
    Best Supporting Actor
    Mahershala Ali – Green Book as Don Shirleydouble-dagger
    Best Supporting Actress
    Regina King – If Beale Street Could Talk as Sharon Riversdouble-dagger
    Best Original Screenplay
    Green Book – Written by Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie & Peter Farrellydouble-dagger
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    BlacKkKlansman – Screenplay by Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee; based on the book by Ron Stallworthdouble-dagger
    Best Animated Feature Film
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse – Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman, Phil Lord and Christopher Millerdouble-dagger
    Best Foreign Language Film
    Roma (Mexico) in Spanish and Mixtec – Directed by Alfonso Cuaróndouble-dagger
    Best Documentary – Feature
    Free Solo – Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Jimmy Chin, Evan Hayes and Shannon Dilldouble-dagger
    Best Documentary – Short Subject
    Period. End of Sentence. – Rayka Zehtabchi and Melissa Bertondouble-dagger
    Best Live Action Short Film
    Skin – Guy Nattiv and Jaime Ray Newmandouble-dagger
    Best Animated Short Film
    Bao – Domee Shi and Becky Neiman-Cobbdouble-dagger
    Best Original Score
    Black Panther – Ludwig Göranssondouble-dagger
    Best Original Song
    Shallow from A Star Is Born – Music and Lyrics by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyattdouble-dagger
    Best Sound Editing
    Bohemian Rhapsody – John Warhurst and Nina Hartstonedouble-dagger
    Best Sound Mixing
    Bohemian Rhapsody – Paul Massey, Tim Cavagin and John Casalidouble-dagger
    Best Production Design
    Black Panther – Hannah Beachler (production design); Jay Hart (set decoration)double-dagger
    Best Cinematography
    Roma – Alfonso Cuaróndouble-dagger
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling
    Vice – Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe and Patricia Dehaneydouble-dagger
    Best Film Editing
    Bohemian Rhapsody – John Ottmandouble-dagger
    Best Visual Effects
    First Man – Paul Lambert, Ian Hunter, Tristan Myles and J. D. Schwalmdouble-dagger
    I can't believe double dagger had so many noms!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get how Cuaron can win the best director award and then not get the best film. For me those two awards should always be linked. If you've been the best director then surely you've made the best film?

Not necessarily. A film can be very well directed but people could have reservations about other parts of it or think another film is more deserving. Saving Private Ryan is a good example of this. Spielberg's direction, especially at the beginning, was widely praised and there was a sense that he was owed another Oscar, but nobody thought much of the film's script.

In any case, Cuaron still won Best Foreign Language film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On reflection, should Green Book be a surprise? Hollywood - specifically the Oscars - really love a reductionist, manipulative "a white and black person solve racism"; Driving Miss Daisy is nearly 30 years old so at least parallels with people's obsession with nostalgia that a broad remake of a 30 year old film wins the Oscar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement