Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Every year the films getting nominated for Oscars seem to be getting progressively worse.
    Its all so lazy .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a strange old awards season this year. Maybe it was because there was an exceptional batch of awards films last year, but there's something oddly lethargic and lazy about how things are going this year. Don't get me wrong: I'm delighted for everyone being awarded for their stellar work on The Favourite, and it's great to see Roma punching through the foreign-language barrier. But also feels like a few more traditional 'Oscar baity' films are in the running compared to the last year.

Obviously we haven't actually heard the Oscar nominations yet. But going by the precursors to that announcement, it's a haphazard sort of selection of films. Probably just my ambivalence towards A Star Is Born and disinterest in Bohemian Rhapsody / Green Book skewing my perception of things.
    Every year the films getting nominated for Oscars seem to be getting progressively worse.

I'd disagree with that assertion. I'm an Oscars cynic, but when it comes to nominations more good to great films have been getting the nod over the last decade due to the expanded Best Picture category. Look at the 90s and most years you're lucky to have one or two 'keepers'. Now you can easily have four or five - last year was a case in point with (IMO anyway) Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread, Lady Bird, Dunkirk and Get Out all deserving nominees. Shape of Water I wasn't big on, but still has more going for it than Shakespeare in Love, Crash, The English Patient, Argo etc... Moonlight the previous year was probably the best Best Picture winner in a decade. I mean, bad films are absolutely still making the cut when they shouldn't, but that's been the case for pretty much as long as the Oscars have existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,320 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Best Picture
    Black Panther
    BlacKkKlansman
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Roma
    A Star is Born
    Vice

Best Director
    Spike Lee - BlacKkKlansman
    Pawel Pawlikowski - Cold War
    Yorgos Lanthimos - The Favourite
    Alfonso Cuaron - Roma
    Adam McKay - Vice

Best Actor nominees ��
    Christian Bale, "Vice"
    Bradley Cooper, "A Star Is Born"
    Willem Dafoe, "At Eterenity's Gate"
    Rami Malek, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
    Viggo Mortensen, "Green Book"

Actress in a Leading Role
    Yalitza Aparicio - Roma
    Glenn Close - The Wife
    Olivia Colman - The Favourite
    Lady Gaga - A Star is Born
    Melissa McCarthy - Can You Ever Forgive Me?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Mahershala Ali, Green Book
    Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
    Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
    Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    Sam Rockwell, Vice

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Amy Adams, Vice
    Marina de Tavira, Roma
    Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
    Emma Stone, The Favourite
    Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

BEST FILM EDITING
    BlacKkKlansman
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Vice

Best Documentary Feature
    Free Solo
    Hale County This Morning, This Evening
    Minding The Gap
    Of Father and Sons
    RBG

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Black Panther
    The Favourite
    Mary Poppins Returns
    Mary Queen of Scots

BEST SOUND MIXING
    Black Panther
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    First Man
    Roma
    A Star Is Born

BEST SOUND EDITING
    Black Panther
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    First Man
    A Quiet Place
    Roma

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
    “Animal Behavior”
    “Bao”
    “Late Afternoon”(irish)
    “One Small Step”
    “Weekends”

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
    “Detainment”(irish director)
    “Fauve”
    “Marguerite”
    “Mother”
    “Skin”

Animated Feature
    Incredibles 2
    Isle of Dogs
    Mirai
    Ralph Breaks the Internet
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Makeup and Hairstyling
    Border
    Mary Queen of Scots
    Vice

Visual Effects
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Christopher Robin
    First Man
    Ready Player One
    Solo: A Star Wars Story

Original Screenplay
    The Favourite
    First Reformed
    Green Book
    Roma
    Vice

Best Documentary Short Subject
    Black Sheep
    End Game
    Lifeboat
    A Night at the Garden
    Period. End of Sentence.

Adapted Screenplay
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    BlacKkKlansman
    Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    If Beale Street Could Talk
    A Star is Born

Original Song
    "All the Stars" - Black Panther
    "I'll Fight" - RBG
    The Place Where Lost Things Go" - Mary Poppins Returns
    "Shallow" - A Star is Born
    "When a Cowboy Trades His Surs for Wings" - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

The favourite & Roma with 10 nominations
    a star is born & vice with 8
    Black Panther with 7
    Bradley cooper not nominated is a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I'd have liked to see Toni Collette get a nom for Hereditary.

A Quiet Place would've been a good shout for original screenplay.

Shame to see Vice dominate so many categories. It isn't even meant to be that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Justin Hurwitz without a nod for First Man's score.

Probably the dullest list of Oscar nominations I've seen but on the flip side much tighter.

valoren wrote: »
    Justin Hurwitz without a nod for First Man's score.

Probably the dullest list of Oscar nominations I've seen but on the flip side much tighter.
    slightly suprised at that
    4 nominations but no best score

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Some pretty weak movies getting best picture nods this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

peteeeed wrote: »
    slightly suprised at that
    4 nominations but no best score

Probably a case of "He's got two (oscars) already, let someone else get a nod"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Favourite did extremely well. Tied with Roma for most nominations.

Pleased to see Pawlikowski got a nom for Cold War. Shame Joanna Kulig was overlooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

peteeeed wrote: »
    Bradley cooper not nominated is a surprise

He's in your list, second in the best actor category.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the plus side: the two front runners Roma and The Favourite are superb films well deserving of their ten nominations apiece. Would be great to see either of them triumphing in best picture.

On the negative side: whole lot of merely decent or mediocre films punching above their weight in best picture particularly. Felt like the Oscars had moved away from that somewhat. Particularly notable when some much stronger films like Beale Street, Leave No Trace, Widows etc have been overlooked (that’s not even going into foreign films like Shoplifters or Burning) and there’s only eight films in the running. Hell I’d say First Man, very much a theoretically Oscar friendly film, was better than some of what made the cut.

Hurrache wrote: »

sorry, as director

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hurrache wrote: »

Nominated for Best Film and Best Actor, but not for Director, bit surprising.
    Just think it's ordinary enough anyway.

Rami Malek and Glenn Close early favourites with PPs. Christian Bale worth a wager?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Academy probably felt that Cooper doesn't need any more trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Such a bland year for (award) films, even compared to last year. Nothing as magical as The Shape of Water or as dramatically good as Call Me By Your Name. In fairness, I haven't seen The Favourite yet, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

Black Panther seems like a political nomination to continue the recent streak of Moonlight and Get Out. They were good films though, Black Panther is one of the more blander of the bland MCU films. What Eric Cartman said about the film is very true.

Only 8 nominations out of a possible 10 for Best Picture? Nicolas Cage and Mandy got robbed! Mandy is still my #1 for the year. For a "proper" film, I'm surprised Beautiful Boy didn't get any nominations, that film was brilliant.

Mid90s, Blindspotting, and Wildlife are more great films I thought had chances at some nominations. I'm guessing Under The Silver Lake was ineligible, but that was a minor masterpiece too...maybe next year's awards.

Is Mahershala Ali not lead in Green Book?

I am delighted for Sam Elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How is Bohemian Rhapsody doing so well?

Also, how come Meryl Streep was not nominated? Felt almost compulsory that she'd be nominated this year.
    Roma and The Favourite deserved for me. Have not seen A Star is Born as it doesn't appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Mahershala Ali not lead in Green Book?

I am delighted for Sam Elliot

No, Viggo Mortenssen is and was also nominated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good to see in a world gone mad, the Oscars still manages to be consistent in it feeling like a weird shotgun blast of films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

murpho999 wrote: »
    hmmm how much screen time to they get, I wouldnt consider those two actresses supporting either for the Favourite from the looks of the trailer, or Adam Driver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm never a big fan of most of the best actor/actress nominees being made up of portrayals of real people. Only Bradley Cooper's character is fictional in the best actor category.

If anyone needed any more evidence of not to take the Oscars serious then just look at the Best Picture list. Platitudes galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is cold war not worthy of a best picutre nom?

murpho999 wrote: »

I would put both as leads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus black panther nominated for best picture is some farce and I say this as a fan. It wouldn't even get into my top 5 superhero films. Pc choice at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

hmmm how much screen time to they get, I wouldnt consider those two actresses supporting either for the Favourite from the looks of the trailer, or Adam Driver

Actually, if Adam is nominated for Support, then surely John David Washington should have gotten a nom for Leading. Driver is always watchable but Washington was no less good in Blackkk.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Paddington 2 and The Death of Stalin have been snubbed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Paddington 2 should win all the awards. And I'm only semi-serious TBH; if there's a more charming, fun film this year I don't want to know.

is cold war not worthy of a best picutre nom?

It's worthy for sure, but foreign language films are hilariously neglected at the Oscars. Like it's extremely unusual that Roma is there this year even - by my reckoning it's the only foreign language film to be nominated for best picture since Amour? Two foreign language films in a decade!

You can usually count dozens of American / English-language films that are more deserving than a lot of the best picture nominees every year... when you add foreign language cinema into the mix it becomes pretty farcical tbh. If something like Shoplifters - a beautiful, accessible film with wide appeal - was in English I'd almost guarantee it'd be among the frontrunners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think Black Panther was nominate for the Big Budget film vote rather than anything else, but you'd kind of wonder why Spiderman Spider Verse wasn't considered for Best Picture over Best Animation, if the oscars are looking for both a popular and diverse film to nominate.

I enjoyed BP but as I enjoyed most other Marvel movies .... yeah including Venom.... well maybe not.

Advertisement