Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speech and language therapy UL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Quibbler

Kelemina wrote: »
    Hi! I'm really interested in applying to this course. Can anyone tell me what the placements are like? Are they in Limerick? I don't have a car at the moment so I'd be relying on public transport to get around.

Hi Kelemina,

Some of the placements are in Limerick but there's no guarantee of being placed in Limerick. To be honest, you have to be willing to go pretty much anywhere in Ireland, although they will try to accommodate you but you have four placements throughout the course and you have to gain experience in different areas with different client groups so it wouldn't be realistic to attempt this without leaving Limerick. They do try to accommodate you though if they can at all, and I would say having a car is definitely a big plus, it makes things easier for you. But that doesn't mean its a necessity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 love_apple

Hi there not sure if anyone still on here.. I was wondering if you could help me...

I am applying for the MSc in Speech and Language Therapy at UL and I am struggling to get experience and volunteering as I am working full time at the moment...

Could you give me an idea of what volunteer work and what work experience you had and for how long and where did you do it/who with?

Also what did you write in your application letter? I have no clue where to start.. I heard they've gotten rid of the interviews this yr so it will be extra important to get the application letter and experience.

I have this week off to try sort something out..

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 Marylemon

leanneb wrote: »
    Donna10 wrote: »

Hey

Well I have a degree in intellectual disability nursing so most of my experience was from just working alongside speech and language therapists and working with people with disabilities. I think that having experience is probably the most important thing so I'd say just shadow a few speech and language therapists if u can!

Good luck with it :)

Hi, I am thinking about applying for the masters in speech and language in Limerick, is it very difficult to get a place on the course.I am a nurse.Can anybody help me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kitty22

Hi everyone,
    I am applying for SLT this year too. As I'm sure ye all know the closing date is today so I'm trying to get all my documents together! I know last minute!! love_apple I haven't heard anything about no interviews this year but that would be great!!! I hope you managed to get some experience in the end! I applied last year too but didn't even get an interview! I'm doing an MA in Applied Linguistics at the moment so I'm hoping that should help. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to defer their applications for the next year if they were offered a place? I'm toying with the idea of travelling too. Thanks! :)

I have applied for Masters in speech and language also, fingers crossed.

Hi kitty22
    How are you, did u get your application form in on time. Hope we hear from them soon.

Marylemon wrote: »
    Hi kitty22
    How are you, did u get your application form in on time. Hope we hear from them soon.
    Hi, ya I did! All sorted now. Is this your 1st application Marylemon? We should hear early February! Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Maryorange

Hi, It's my first year to apply for masters in Speech and language in UL. Not long now to wait!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Maryorange wrote: »
    Hi, It's my first year to apply for masters in Speech and language in UL. Not long now to wait!

When do you think we find out? I hope it's the beginning of February, am getting nervous just thinking about it!

I applied last year and found out on the 7th of feb! So should be soon :)

I would say the would be looking for refferance if I had a place on either the speech and language and occupational programme.I am disappointed, not looking forward to letter this week.

I would say the would be looking for refferance if I had a place on either the speech and language and occupational programme.I am disappointed, not looking forward to letter this week.
    No I would say they will look for documentation after u accept a place. Good luck :)

Has anyone heared anything yet? Starting to get worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kelemina

I'm still waiting to hear as well. Glad it's not just me! The waiting is driving me up the walls

• Advertisement

Me too I was hoping no news was good news :)

I have got no letter yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ulslt

I'm currently on the course and the department is pretty short staffed at the moment! So I wouldn't be surprised if ye get yer letters a bit later this year!

Decisions are in online!!!

I got no email not looking good!!!

• Advertisement

I got no email not looking good!!!
    It's not an email. You can check your application status online on the UL website. You would have been given a username and password when u first submitted your application.

Didn't get in :( Disappointing, but I sort of guessed at the open day I wasn't what they were looking for.

panda100 wrote: »
    Didn't get in :( Disappointing, but I sort of guessed at the open day I wasn't what they were looking for.
    As far as I know people rarely get in to this course on their first application. I was told that most people know what UL are looking for by their 3rd application and get in then. Fortunately my 2nd application was successful so don'e give up on it!

How do u check I am looking where u enter password to check my application.its very difficult to get a place do many applications.

How do u check I am looking where u enter password to check my application.its very difficult to get a place do many applications.

Here's the link: http://www.si.ul.ie/

Kitty22 wrote: »
    As far as I know people rarely get in to this course on their first application. I was told that most people know what UL are looking for by their 3rd application and get in then. Fortunately my 2nd application was successful so don'e give up on it!
    u for some

Ah well done Kitty.Might have to ask you on some advice for next year

Do! Let me know if u need advice :)

Congrats kitty,thanks for link

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MeMe_C

Hi there, I applied this year as well and didn't get in! Just wondering if they said ye were on the reserve list or not...does this mean anything really?

MeMe_C wrote: »
    Hi there, I applied this year as well and didn't get in! Just wondering if they said ye were on the reserve list or not...does this mean anything really?
    I'd say the reserve list is in case people turn down an offer so their place is given to people on waiting lists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EdenGirl

MeMe_C wrote: »
    I rang UL last week when the waiting was driving me mad to find out when we'd know, the lady said that every year they take people off the reserve list and to ring them to find out where on the list you are and to get feedback on your application.

Would they tell you if you were on the reserve list? On my letter it said they 'gave particular consideration to my application'. I'm just wondering if this is a generic response or if they did actually pay particular attention to my application.

Would they tell you if you were on the reserve list? On my letter it said they 'gave particular consideration to my application'. I'm just wondering if this is a generic response or if they did actually pay particular attention to my application.
    I'd say they would tell you. I didn't get it last year and it said that in my letter too!

It probably is but it's no harm to ring and see what they say, at the very least you might find out what you would need to apply again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MeMe_C

Yes, the said in my letter that I am on the reserve list! I will ring them tomorrow just to find out what this means and where I am placed on the list. Is their anyone in particular I should contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Krazylotty123

Kitty22 wrote: »

Congrats Kitty :) I also was successful in my application... Do you know if there is a fb page yet for us to find each other? They did one last year that i gather was quite useful in finding accommodation, reading, sharing info, etc. I can try and make one if not (how, I have no idea :rolleyes: ) so excited and nervous already...

Congrats Kitty :) I also was successful in my application... Do you know if there is a fb page yet for us to find each other? They did one last year that i gather was quite useful in finding accommodation, reading, sharing info, etc. I can try and make one if not (how, I have no idea :rolleyes: ) so excited and nervous already...
    Well done Krazylotty! I don't know anything about fb pages but that would be handy alright! I'm already thinking about accommodation and am worried of the thought of living with strangers! ahh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 a.stack

Thought i'd help out and set up the facebook page for you. Its for anyone that gets into the course its:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/115271441991152/

Its a closed group. The current 1st years have it and it is really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 a.stack

p.s Congrats in getting in! as for those on the reserve list, just to let you know that a lot of reserves do get in (once you're in the top ten). Its well worth asking to see where you are in the list.

• Advertisement

a.stack wrote: »
    Thought i'd help out and set up the facebook page for you. Its for anyone that gets into the course its:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/115271441991152/

Its a closed group. The current 1st years have it and it is really handy.

That's such a good idea, I'll join it now. I'm so excited but nervous too I've no idea about where to live or anything like that

EdenGirl wrote: »
    That's such a good idea, I'll join it now. I'm so excited but nervous too I've no idea about where to live or anything like that

Brilliant! I just requested to join too. Same, haven't a clue about accommodation etc but have already started looking on daft.ie in excitement. Has anyone received anything in the post yet as I'm away and am only making assumptions based on what was on the www.si.ul.ie portal?... Which has been out of order last 24 hours... In fact, I might've dreamed up the whole thing :-/

I'm the same googling everything, can't wait to get started. Letters arrived last Wednesday just with garda vetting form, info on vaccinations, giros to pay the deposit and some other bits. Don't worry I'm sure your letter will be waiting for you when you're home :D

I got in! Can't quite believe it! I got a letter in mid Feb saying I didn't get the first round offer but I had been placed on the reserve list... I thought that was it then I was devastated but eventually decided to email them (best decision ever) and they gave full breakdown of my marks (it's a points-based system) and said I was number two on the list.. the last month has been torture waiting to hear but finally good news! They said too that places were offered last year right up to the start date and they used almost 20 reserves so I wouldn't give up hope. 110 people applied too so well done to anyone that gets in!
    Eek.. Reality startin to hit now! Excited but nervous too! Startn to worry about course fees now though :-\

love_apple wrote: »
    I got in! Can't quite believe it! I got a letter in mid Feb saying I didn't get the first round offer but I had been placed on the reserve list... I thought that was it then I was devastated but eventually decided to email them (best decision ever) and they gave full breakdown of my marks (it's a points-based system) and said I was number two on the list.. the last month has been torture waiting to hear but finally good news! They said too that places were offered last year right up to the start date and they used almost 20 reserves so I wouldn't give up hope. 110 people applied too so well done to anyone that gets in!
    Eek.. Reality startin to hit now! Excited but nervous too! Startn to worry about course fees now though :-\

Hey! Hadn't checked this in a while... Congratulations! Can't wait to meet everyone. Wow, I'm surprised they were so forthcoming with all that info but it's good to know. I'm the same, the financial implications are already stressing me out! Looks like I'm back to 20c noodles again...

Have you joined the fb page? The link's just above there if you haven't! :)

Hey! Hadn't checked this in a while... Congratulations! Can't wait to meet everyone. Wow, I'm surprised they were so forthcoming with all that info but it's good to know. I'm the same, the financial implications are already stressing me out! Looks like I'm back to 20c noodles again...

Have you joined the fb page? The link's just above there if you haven't! :)

Ya I'm wondering too if most people are going for on campus accommodation? It's crazy expensive but would remove alot of accommodation related stress... I requested to join the fb but dunno if they accepted me... :-\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 shorter

Hey evryone im goin in to 2nd year of the course this year if ye hav ne qs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dani_F

shorter wrote: »
    Hey evryone im goin in to 2nd year of the course this year if ye hav ne qs!!

Hi folks,
    I'm applying for this course at the moment and I'd really appreciate any advice on how to make my application stand out as UL no longer conduct interviews so the supporting statement really has to do it for me. I have a little bit of shadowing experience and other bits and bobs such as working as a care assistant in a care of the elderly hospital and countering as a conversation partner with an aphasic patient but I'm struggling with wording of my personal statement. Any advice that those who have gained acceptance in the past could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a mill guys.
    Dani

Hi Dani

I'm a first year in the course and can only speak from my own perspective but hopefully it will help!

It's hard to know what to write but they're basically looking for you to show your "sound knowledge of the scope and diversity of the profession" and also demonstrate why you want to do the course and what efforts you have put in to gain experience.

It's been really tough this year to get any kind of work shadowing so don't worry if you have limited experience with that specifically, I did too. They advise to get as much experience with the client group as possible i.e. volunteer/work with people with communication difficulties, disabilities, children, the elderly.. It's all relevant and experience has a high weighting in your application so don't leave anything out!

Here is info I received from the department about application process when I applied, I can only say what it was like this year though, I don't know if it will change for next year..:

"Entrance is by competition. This year we had 110 applications for 32 places. There are no interviews held for this programme."

"We almost used 20 of our reserves in 2012" (i.e. 20 ppl got in on 2nd round after successful applicants decided not to take their places)

"Applications are currently scored on the following criteria:
    Class of your first or subsequent degree. Qualification to be considered must be at level 8 or above. While we take some people with lower second class honours most years, most successful applicants have an upper second or above.

Your application should demonstrate a sound knowledge of the scope and diversity of the profession. [scored out of 3]

Your supporting statement and CV are also scored for writing style. [scored out of 3]

Work experience, that is, number of different client groups worked with, and duration of the experience is scored out of 6.

Three additional points can be allocated for an achievement which is considered unique among applicants and represents the potential to make an outstanding contribution to the course and the profession. These three points are very rarely awarded, as the achievement must be truly exceptional."

Best of Luck! Might see you at the open day on the 24th!smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dani_F

love_apple wrote: »
    Hi Dani

I'm a first year in the course and can only speak from my own perspective but hopefully it will help!

It's hard to know what to write but they're basically looking for you to show your "sound knowledge of the scope and diversity of the profession" and also demonstrate why you want to do the course and what efforts you have put in to gain experience.

It's been really tough this year to get any kind of work shadowing so don't worry if you have limited experience with that specifically, I did too. They advise to get as much experience with the client group as possible i.e. volunteer/work with people with communication difficulties, disabilities, children, the elderly.. It's all relevant and experience has a high weighting in your application so don't leave anything out!

Here is info I received from the department about application process when I applied, I can only say what it was like this year though, I don't know if it will change for next year..:

"Entrance is by competition. This year we had 110 applications for 32 places. There are no interviews held for this programme."

"We almost used 20 of our reserves in 2012" (i.e. 20 ppl got in on 2nd round after successful applicants decided not to take their places)

"Applications are currently scored on the following criteria:
    Class of your first or subsequent degree. Qualification to be considered must be at level 8 or above. While we take some people with lower second class honours most years, most successful applicants have an upper second or above.

Your application should demonstrate a sound knowledge of the scope and diversity of the profession. [scored out of 3]

Your supporting statement and CV are also scored for writing style. [scored out of 3]

Work experience, that is, number of different client groups worked with, and duration of the experience is scored out of 6.

Three additional points can be allocated for an achievement which is considered unique among applicants and represents the potential to make an outstanding contribution to the course and the profession. These three points are very rarely awarded, as the achievement must be truly exceptional."

Best of Luck! Might see you at the open day on the 24th!smile.png

Thank you so much love_apple for a fantastic response. You went above and beyond what I was hoping for.

I have a 2.1 in Psychology from NUI Maynooth so hopefully that will suffice for degree and class.

Apart from experience already undertaken, I have a fair bit of shadowing experience organised for the next few months and will be attending several courses alongside a Senior SLT in an observational capacity.

That is great news about so many reserves gaining places. To cover my bases I'm applying for a fair few of the PgDip/MSc courses in the UK also. I know I may not gain a place this year but at least by the end of eight applications, I will be a pro and I'll hopefully get in the following year.

I suppose my biggest concern is about my supporting statement. I just want to represent myself well and allow my knowledge, passion and drive to be shown.

I will indeed be there on the 24th and hopefully will be a little further on with my applications.

Thanks again for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MCKERRY

Hello everybody. Especially past or current students studying in UL at the moment. I am applying for the course to start in sept 2014. Im really nervous about the personal statement. Can anyone who got in last year give any tips on what to include and how any words roughly. Looking forward to hearing from some of ye.

• Advertisement
Advertisement