Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Many thanks to the forum mod for tidying up the thread.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I can confirm this. I've had 5 & 6 items (sometimes of the same items) that I ordered separately, delivered in the one package without vat.

Me too. I'll buy things separately in different transactions but close together time wise to avoid the VAT. All the stuff then arrives in the same box. Nobody has ever come looking for the VAT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

grogi wrote: »
    I have quoted the revenue website here. I'd take their word over yours :)

Over the past four months, I've made probably 20 orders under €22, that have ended up getting combined into a single delivery/box worth a lot more then €22 and not been charged VAT on any of them.

The key thing to do is to make separate orders. So make one order for less then €22 and then 5 minutes later a second order for less then €22, most likely both will end up combined into one box/delivery if they are due the same day.

Again, never once been charged VAT in this situation and haven't heard of anyone else either.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Indeed, Amazon are doing it wrong. Revenue probably have better things to do, but if the amounts stack up and they decide to enforce the letter of the law, Amazon will be in trouble with them for not declaring correctly, but it will be us that they come after for the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

bk wrote: »
    Over the past four months, I've made probably 20 orders under €22, that have ended up getting combined into a single delivery/box worth a lot more then €22 and not been charged VAT on any of them.

The key thing to do is to make separate orders. So make one order for less then €22 and then 5 minutes later a second order for less then €22, most likely both will end up combined into one box/delivery if they are due the same day.

Again, never once been charged VAT in this situation and haven't heard of anyone else either.

I think everyone in Ireland is at this... My deliveries are far more frequent these days from ordering individual items <€22. I reckon it's the reason they're trying to push Irish users to the .nl website with that big homepage banner.
    It can't be profitable to have their drivers call to your house to drop off one 58p wooden spoon. . :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

atahuapla wrote: »
    I reckon it's the reason they're trying to push Irish users to the .nl website with that big homepage banner.
    What's on that banner? I haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

Wish I had known that about ordering individually. Ordered two items for 24 euro and it cost me 34 euro with delivery. (German amazon if that makes any difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

biddy21 wrote: »
    Wish I had known that about ordering individually. Ordered two items for 24 euro and it cost me 34 euro with delivery. (German amazon if that makes any difference)

it makes no difference with amazon.de; The <€22 VAT exemption is only for imports into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

steve-o wrote: »
    Indeed, Amazon are doing it wrong. Revenue probably have better things to do, but if the amounts stack up and they decide to enforce the letter of the law, Amazon will be in trouble with them for not declaring correctly, but it will be us that they come after for the VAT.

Amazon is doing revenue a favour by collecting a huge amount of Irish VAT for them automatically. Were Revenue to say to Amazon that they need to charge VAT on delivery where the box contains multiple items under 22, then Amazon will just revert to single delivery packages, or people will make orders in a timeframe so they don't incur this charging.

Given that this derogation will disappear in July, it's not worth pursuing right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

bk wrote: »

I've had the exact same experience. Placed numerous separate orders, whereby many of the items were shipped together, particularly items which originated from the same warehouse (Germany, UK, etc.); I have not once been charged for VAT (or "import duties" as amazon refers to them as).

VAT reduction has proven very useful for me for items like toiletries (which I usually buy from boots), clothing and footwear.

Vive la "€22 or under VAT reduction"! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Well then you're doing yourself a disservice!

What's on that banner? I haven't seen it yet.

This is what I've been greeted with everyday for the past month.

A10WnOd.png

You're most likely using a VPN or something. What country does your IP address put you in? https://iplocation.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

A10WnOd.png

Interestingly, when I try to use amazon.nl, it shows the price etc, I put in my address and then every product is unavailable. Put in a NL address and it is all available again, for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

A10WnOd.png

I have never got that on Amazon UK

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

sgarvan wrote: »
    I have never got that on Amazon UK

Same here. I've ordered a few bits from the .de site though in recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Same here. I've ordered a few bits from the .de site though in recent times

The least you could do in fairness to support the fatherland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can you get weed on the dutch site?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishGaz

You're most likely using a VPN or something. What country does your IP address put you in? https://iplocation.com/

No VPN, Dublin shows on that website you linked.

I'm probably on some list of theirs as a serial small items purchaser!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

A10WnOd.png

You must have googled Battle of the Boyne once too often...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Shop on the Dutch site for fast local delivery? But we're not in The Netherlands!
    Maybe in the grand scheme of things Ireland is local to The Netherlands?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can someone explain the following please.

I bought a child’s toy on Amazon Uk for £26 (€30.35) delivered.
    Stupidly I didn’t realized it was being fulfilled by a USA seller.

Anyway, item arrived today and the customs charge is €25.49 which is made up of :
    Charges €18.45
    Tax €7.04.

I don’t mind paying the customs as that’s how it is but the charge seems high?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Can someone explain the following please.

I bought a child’s toy on Amazon Uk for £26 (€30.35) delivered.
    Stupidly I didn’t realized it was being fulfilled by a USA seller.

Anyway, item arrived today and the customs charge is €25.49 which is made up of :
    Charges €18.45
    Tax €7.04.

I don’t mind paying the customs as that’s how it is but the charge seems high?

Who delivered it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Who delivered it?

UPS.

Gumbo wrote: »
    UPS.

Someone will point to the correct current charge but UPS had a handling charge of €14.50 back in 2014 so it's likely more now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/deliveries-charges-returns-and-tax-avoiding-the-pitfalls-of-shopping-online-1.1661947

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That is extortionate. These companies have us over a barrel acting as Agents. We should be allowed to self declare, it's not exactly rocket science to fill in the necessary forms. However, this is Ireland and loads probably wouldn't comply so they'd hike the duties/charges in some other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

fryup wrote: »
    a pair of reading glasses with built-in nightlight for £8.98, various strengths available

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08Q7WQ6D4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wearing those would make you look like Clark Kent checking what underwear a woman was wearing.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I laughed at the toe. Clippers. It looked like a wire cutter

As for the probes... :)

Advertisement