Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Quazzie wrote: »
    Must be because it's considered a weapon in Ireland

Post of the week right there IMO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Going off topic a bit here but when I was in the UK last week I came back through Pembroke Dock and while wasting some time waiting for the ferry took a look around the big charity shop there (Sue Ryder next to Argos).

One 10m long wall of the shop was full of Amazon stuff that is often sold as deals. What I was told is that the charity gets a shipment of Amazon deals that aren't sold.

I came back with a load of brand new Arduino kits (chinese copies Feenove and Sunfounder) at £3 and £5 each (so back now to getting my RFID door opener project working).

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Wooden Spoon 53p (edit: now changed to £2.30 & item cannot be shipped to IE!)
    Bigger one now for £1.08
    A0ZrMuN.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So it is Is the wooden spoon still the Irish mammy's weapon of choice?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cookiee wrote:
    I think it depends on the item, some things under 22€ vat gets removed at the checkout for me, but some things stay the exact same!

Some sellers aren't vat registered so Amazon cannot remove vat at checkout that isn't there. I have a business account & prices are shown with & without vat. You'd be surprised at the amount of sellers that aren't vat registered & that amazon can't display vat free prices. It's always been like this. It isn't a Brexit thing or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My teeth are sore just looking at the 60 Refresher bars..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Basq wrote: »
    My teeth are sore just looking at the 60 Refresher bars..

My head is sore after I bought that puzzle ball you recommended, bought one my nephew. He is getting great craic from it. Thanks Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Cabin Max bag on the No Chat thread is well worth a go if you think you'll ever travel again. I have one of the larger ones and they're top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The Cabin Max bag on the No Chat thread is well worth a go if you think you'll ever travel again. I have one of the larger ones and they're top notch.

I bought that precise one in February 2020 for a trip in April.. And you can guess the rest! I also have a larger one, they're great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Its tiny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I purchased 3 of those cabin bags last year and used two as school bags for the kids and they were ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Zardoz wrote: »
    Its tiny though.

Its 20l. I can manage with a 40l bag for 2 months away so it would do me comfortably for a weekend. Or as a cabin bag. The clue is in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You never met my mother. The wooden spoon was lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Its 20l. I can manage with a 40l bag for 2 months away so it would do me comfortably for a weekend. Or as a cabin bag. The clue is in the name.

I have the larger Cabin Max and it's been all over the world for the past ten years. Still going strong. They're very good quality. Just bought the smaller one. Not bad for less than €15! Thanks O.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Havannah.

Prob been asked already but do you get the " import fees deposit "back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Havannah. wrote: »
    Prob been asked already but do you get the " import fees deposit "back ?

No, why would you? That tax is genuinely due.

You might get a few cents from exchange rate difference between the time you ordered and the time it went through customs, but that's about it.

grogi wrote: »
    No, why would you? That tax is genuinely due.

You might get a few cents from exchange rate difference between the time you ordered and the time it went through customs, but that's about it.

So why is there no fees on an item for say £12

But then if you get 2 for £24 you get charged the fees ?

I guess I'll have to stick to ordering 1 at a time

Havannah. wrote: »
    So why is there no fees on an item for say £12

But then if you get 2 for £24 you get charged the fees ?

I guess I'll have to stick to ordering 1 at a time

Because VAT is not collected if the customs value of goods is €22 or less. /.../ These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

• Advertisement

Ok thanks so

I thought there was something where if it was sold.and fulfilled you got a refund ?

Maybe not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Its tiny though.

So are free carry on limits

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Its tiny though.

I have one of these bags and managed to use it once before Covid. Wizzair were charging mad money for carry on so I picked up one of these small Cabin Max bags. I just had some clothes, phone charger and some basic toiletries. It was tight but did the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Caranica wrote: »
    So are free carry on limits

Especially Ryanair's... :D

I have the slightly larger Cabin Max bag (the one that's standard cabin size for most airlines) and it's brilliant. I also had Cabin Max's first attempt at a bag this size but it was terrible, awkward shape (it wasn't a backpack like the others) and horrendous quality. It split after one journey, I repaired it and it split somewhere else on the next journey. After that I gave up and got a refund.

If this is like the first bag, though (and I'm fairly hopeful it will be), it's a great bargain at this price (worked out at under £12.50 with the VAT removed).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

grogi wrote: »
    Because VAT is not collected if the customs value of goods is €22 or less. /.../ These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

Not strictly correct.
    The limit is on the value of the order, not the whole delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Soarer wrote:
    Not strictly correct. The limit is on the value of the order, not the whole delivery.

I can confirm this. I've had 5 & 6 items (sometimes of the same items) that I ordered separately, delivered in the one package without vat.

Soarer wrote: »
    Not strictly correct.
    The limit is on the value of the order, not the whole delivery.

I have quoted the revenue website here. I'd take their word over yours :)
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I can confirm this. I've had 5 & 6 items (sometimes of the same items) that I ordered separately, delivered in the one package without vat.

You just got lucky... :] I'd guess the Revenue and Customs have limited capacity ATM and, knowing Amazon is charging VAT on orders >€22, let all amazon parcels without any verifications.

Back to the deals...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭muffler

How? they benchmark at around 3000? how is that a great chip as you put it.
    There's a time and place for everything.

Id love to see comments on Amazon bargains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

For the first time I have had multiple (separate) orders combined into one box/delivery.
    I had mentioned in another post that I have not had this happen previously. Good to see, save the planet etc.

I had placed separate orders to get around the VAT/customs limit but all items were in one box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

feelings wrote: »
    For the first time I have had multiple (separate) orders combined into one box/delivery.
    I had mentioned in another post that I have not had this happen previously. Good to see, save the planet etc.

I had placed separate orders to get around the VAT/customs limit but all items were in one box.

I feel guilty if I order something like a single 1.50 shower gel that some guy in a van has to drive around to deliver. Maybe not so much if I see him go on to deliver something else in the estate. I offset it by ordering 5l of liquid soap replacement for £17.

Advertisement