Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

what about taxing the rich, you don't think that's an option open to the government? you don't think a slight raise in taxation for people with obscene wealth would wipe the floor with whatever figure they could raise by 'outing' welfare fraud?
    this parasite/taxation thing always puzzles me, how people buy it without question and let it fuel their prejudices. look at the UK, do we want to end up like that?

The super rich can simply move their money elsewhere, they have an army of accountants and tax advisers to ensure they keep their millions.

You would end up taking even more tax from anyone on over 100 k, what's the point in people going to college and getting a well paid job if they are going to be taxed to the hole every week.

More populist hard left bullsh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

john4321 wrote: »
    John Connors is chiming in on Twitter.

"The homeless Traveller woman who slept in a Gardai station with her children is getting an incredible amount of hate online. Reality is that if she were a settled woman she would be receiving an incredible amount of support. The Last Acceptable form of Racism In Ireland."

https://twitter.com/johnconnors1990/status/1027916975740280833

No John she wouldn't.

Erica Fleming received the same treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

deco nate wrote: »
    Ch4 made a documentary about this couple in England a year or 2 ago.
    And they have 13 or 14 kids,can you believe that.
    Now a month or 2 ago they announced that they were having another baby!!

Fecking hell like,
    Fair play to them.

Now you are wondering why I say that? Well it's because they are a hard working family, the oldest kids help around the house and with the younger ones. They grow some of there own food. Teaching the kids good life lessons.

Oh and the dad is a Baker
    And runs his own small bakery.

And also they have never asked the state for a handout.
    Fair play to them
    (might be on all 4 somewhere)

But this one......

I remember that and it felt like there lifestyle was good enough for the amount of kids they had. They must be money in bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

what about taxing the rich, you don't think that's an option open to the government? you don't think a slight raise in taxation for people with obscene wealth would wipe the floor with whatever figure they could raise by 'outing' welfare fraud?
    this parasite/taxation thing always puzzles me, how people buy it without question and let it fuel their prejudices. look at the UK, do we want to end up like that?

Inform yourself about Irelands tax brackets and who pays what then enter the conversation again.

Tax us more to pay for Margaret and co's lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

and she fully desered it as well.She actully replied to Connors tweet saying the abuse she got was because she was a women.

People like Fleming and Cash disgust me.Lie and manipulate to get what they want,not a care in the world for anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

The super rich can simply move their money elsewhere, thy have an army of accountants and tax advisers to ensure they keep their millions.

You would end up taking even more tax from anyone on over 100 k, what's the point in people going to college and getting a well paid job if they are going to be taxed to the hole every week.

More populist hard left bullsh1te.

ah come off it for god's sake, if you're on over 100 k what the hell is a bit of extra taxation. really sad that the plight of people who went to college and can't be as rich as they would like to be is held to be more important than the plight of the poor (and for every welfare fraud there's more people who are genuinely struggling)

i didn't stipulate 'super rich' by the way but the distinction is telling.

ah come off it for god's sake, if you're on over 100 k what the hell is a bit of extra taxation. really sad that the plight of people who went to college and can't be as rich as they would like to be is held to be more important than the plight of the poor (and for every welfare fraud there's more people who are genuinely struggling)

Someone on 100k is probably worse off than Ms. Cash when everything is taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Erica was the poster child for sinn fein.

Today we have Mary Lou calling for the government to be disbanded all because of last nights stunt.

Remembered who Sinn Fein represent next election.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

i didn't stipulate 'super rich' by the way but the distinction is telling.

this woman "earns" the equivalent of 87k gross per year in benefits!

almost the entire tax take of two people earning 87k is necessary to provide her with this level of benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Any interviews from the baby daddy yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

seamus wrote: »
    These seven children are the real vulnerable in society.

You're all about punishment and responsibility, but can't see how you're just kicking the can down the road. Would you rather punish the mother now and then punish her seven adult children, or help her now and never have to deal with her kids?

Ignore the fact that she's a criminal. Ignore the fact that she's a liar. Ignore the fact that she's an idiot. Her children are none of these things. Yet.

We can't achieve the goal of punishing her bad choices while improving things for her children. The two are mutually exclusive.

What course of action will result in a better outcome for society?

I’d safely say that those children would have a better chance of a decent start in life if she’d been jailed for her involvement in rural home robberies, and they had a chance to spend some of their formative years away from such a negative influence.

But no, let’s just continually rewards her for bad behaviour and refusing to contribute to society - seeing her constantly rewarded for refusing to take personal responsibility, that’ll teach those kids to be productive citizens all right

No visiting hours until Monday morning.

I remember that and it felt like there lifestyle was good enough for the amount of kids they had. They must be money in bread.

I have known a few people who have had very well functioning super large families. The difference is the work ethic of the parents who were the role models for their offspring and grandchildren.

Stheno wrote: »
    this woman "earns" the equivalent of 87k gross per year in benefits!

almost the entire tax take of two people earning 87k is necessary to provide her with this level of benefits

didn't know you had access to her earnings, but how do you think she would manage to spend 87k and still end up homeless? it's not possible, think about what you're saying. i couldn't spend 30k in a year if i tried my hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Don't be at all surprised if this "Family Emergency" does'nt merit a Get out of Jail Free card ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

didn't know you had access to her earnings, but how do you think she would manage to spend 87k and still end up homeless? it's not possible, think about what you're saying. i couldn't spend 30k in a year if i tried my hardest.

i said 87k gross, her benefits entitlement as posted earlier are the net equivalent of what a single person earning 87k would take home each year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A 16 year old in the UK spent £2,000,000 in a couple of years. €30k-no problem.

Who said she spent 87K ?

Learn to read a post before responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Waiting for this yoke to be on TV/radio over this farce.

Workers dont mind their taxes going toward a social welfare system for people to fall back on when times are tough. For the most hard cases like carers and disabled people to avail of. They dont mind people who live on social authority housing who go out and work hard for what they have and contribute to society.

But we do mind and despise this carry on. Its wrong. This woman has more than likely neber paid prsi amd having children is simply her way to a better pay cheque.

We are sick of being squeezed for every penny. Bills going up and wages staying the same. This ****e is just another kick in the hole.

This woman should not be given the guts of a thousand quid a month. Food stamps and childrens clothes vouchers and a little cash payment.

• Advertisement

This woman should not be given the guts of a thousand quid a month. Food stamps and childrens clothes vouchers and a little cash payment.

total benefits posted earlier is actually over one thousand a week

yabadabado wrote: »
    Who said she spent 87K ?

Learn to read a post before responding.

i've thought about it and i still don't know what the point is otherwise and what i'm supposed to take from it.

look, i don't have a problem with taxation. i worked in a soul-destroying job for over a decade where i'd often pay 25% of my gross pay in tax. i'm fine with it if it means that when i, or anyone else, fall on hard times there's a welfare system there for me. a lot of you don't feel the same way, obviously. but demonising people on benefits (and even if you're 'right' about this person, it's still demonising) is a slippery slope. be wide

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

that's ****in shocking...no wonder they can smoke and drink every bloody night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

For real?

i've thought about it and i still don't know what the point is otherwise and what i'm supposed to take from it.

look, i don't have a problem with taxation. i worked in a soul-destroying job for over a decade where i'd often pay 25% of my gross pay in tax. i'm fine with it if it means that when i, or anyone else, fall on hard times there's a welfare system there for me. a lot of you don't feel the same way, obviously. but demonising people on benefits (and even if you're 'right' about this person, it's still demonising) is a slippery slope. be wide

We as taxpayers have a duty and have earned the right to call this what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

J Mysterio wrote: »
    For real?

Yes

Her childrens allowence is €13,000+ per year alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Does that mean her children should be homeless, because you think shes a sponger?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes

Her childrens allowence is €13,000+ per year alone

If she gets 1k a week, that is 48k per annum, 'after tax'.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    If she gets 1k a week, that is 48k per annum, 'after tax'.

it was posted earlier that its closer to 55k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

so many posts on FB from people I thought had more sense about this woman, the poor thing, shame on the government, it's misogyny yada yada yada....

I've called some people out on it, raised questions about her own responsibility and her refusal of a property and been called racist, anti women, Nazi etc.

Are people that desperate to be right on that they believe there should be no accountability?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement