Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2019, 13:18   #556
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fann Linn View Post
I think she is going on strike Grace.
Ok; that was not my reading of it, but that is how I and others feel re the strikes by nurses. No respect for them.
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 13:21   #557
Mitch Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
That's debatable but anyhow....why can't we compare contents of Degrees? People seem very happy to compare salaries so let's compare the intellectual capacities and knowledge behind them.
I wouldn't trust a maths teacher to provide nursing care, so they should be paid less?
11-01-2019, 14:04   #558
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Connor View Post
I wouldn't trust a maths teacher to provide nursing care, so they should be paid less?
Depends on the individual really.
11-01-2019, 14:13   #559
hawkelady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Ok; that was not my reading of it, but that is how I and others feel re the strikes by nurses. No respect for them.
Let’s hope they return your feelings when you end up in hospital and show you no respect ! But they won’t , they will show you care . Horrible person
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 14:13   #560
ILikeBananas

The Irish Times Politics podcast discussed this during the week. They thought that it might be a hard sell to the public based on that fact that, including allowances:
  • The average pay was €58k
  • 80% of nurses are paid > €40k
  • Graduates start on €36k

I suspect that the union will tend to steer the conversation away from the above figures since the general public might lose support for the nurses if they discovered that they were being paid more than themselves.
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 14:29   #561
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeBananas View Post
The Irish Times Politics podcast discussed this during the week. They thought that it might be a hard sell to the public based on that fact that, including allowances:
  • The average pay was €58k
  • 80% of nurses are paid > €40k
  • Graduates start on €36k

I suspect that the union will tend to steer the conversation away from the above figures since the general public might lose support for the nurses if they discovered that they were being paid more than themselves.
They are good salaries by any reckoning.
11-01-2019, 14:36   #562
L'prof

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
They are good salaries by any reckoning.
On the face of it they are but that surely includes shiftwork and overtime. I wonder what their basic would be if they worked 9-5 Mon-Fri? For all their training they’re a long way off what doctors earn. I know factory workers with no 3rd level education on similar salaries after bonuses, overtime and shift premiums
11-01-2019, 14:49   #563
Yillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'prof View Post
On the face of it they are but that surely includes shiftwork and overtime. I wonder what their basic would be if they worked 9-5 Mon-Fri? For all their training they’re a long way off what doctors earn. I know factory workers with no 3rd level education on similar salaries after bonuses, overtime and shift premiums

Are they?
11-01-2019, 14:59   #564
Matt Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
That's being entirely disingenuous.

I think nurses need to be well paid for the service they provide.
If the average nurse earnings is 57K per annum, in my mind, that is well paid for the role.

What do you think?
No it's not. How many time is talk of the cost of living whittled down to the spongers getting Christmas bonus?
How often is talk of the HSE being in a state turned to a discussion on the quality of nurses/front line staff?
It happens more than some are willing to discuss policies or changing how things work IMO.

I think Nurses should fight for the salary they believe they need and deserve and any flaws with the HSE are an issue for policy makers to address not for front line workers to explain over wanting a raise.
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 15:01   #565
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrett View Post
No it's not. How many time is talk of the cost of living whittled down to the spongers getting Christmas bonus?
How often is talk of the HSE being in a state turned to a discussion on the quality of nurses/front line staff?
It happens more than some are willing to discuss policies or changing how things work IMO.

I think Nurses should fight for the salary they believe they need and deserve and any flaws with the HSE are an issue for policy makers to address not for front line workers to explain over wanting a raise.
Can you respond to this query which I asked you please.

Quote:
If the average nurse earnings is 57K per annum, in my mind, that is well paid for the role.

What do you think?
11-01-2019, 15:04   #566
Matt Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Good for her. No respect due to nurses who strike.
Based on the lack of respect given, the only recourse they have is to strike.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 15:07   #567
Matt Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
Can you respond to this query which I asked you please.
I disagree with the figure. There's a nurse on this thread no where near that. It's an average.
And reiterate, they have the right to strike and seek what they feel they need and I support them 100%.

When bank CEO or what ever gets massive raises despite losses and bailouts we hear about how that's what you have to do to get quality and so on, yet when workers try same they get the weight of all the issues associated with the health service. It's hypocrisy.

EDIT: There's your 'disingenuous' see below...

Last edited by Matt Barrett; 11-01-2019 at 15:11.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 15:08   #568
Dia1988
Banned

If nurses get paid starting 36k that's far too much already.

They're just being greedy moaning that they get paid pittance and how Doctors are paid way more. Reality check, they're not Doctors!!!
11-01-2019, 15:12   #569
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrett View Post
I disagree with the figure. There's a nurse on this thread no where near that. It's an average.
And reiterate, they have the right to strike and seek what they feel they need and I support them 100%.

When bank CEO or what ever gets massive raises despite losses and bailouts we hear about how that's what you have to do to get quality and so on, yet when workers try same they get the weight of all the issues associated with the health service. It's hypocrisy.

EDIT: There's your 'disingenuous' see below...
Red bolded part. But no one has countered the figure. Phil Ni Sheaghdha, secretary of the INMO didn't do so and therefore I assume it is true.

If it is, what do you think? If you can point me to a reputable source showing that this average is not true then I will gladly read that.

As for the black bolded part. I do not agree with that either but we cannot just pay money to one group which will have to be found every year, will lead to similar demands from other groups and without targetting the inefficiencies in the system to ensure they do not feel overworked and so must leave. Money will not make someone stay in a job if they truly hate it.

Blue bolded part. Yes, such an opinion is not helpful to the discussion.
11-01-2019, 15:52   #570
spodoinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
37 hours, average salary is 55k per annum not including overtime
lol b*llocks

my wife is a qualified nurse and now midwife for 14 years in total and nowhere near that
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion