Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to Find Housing

Options

Comments

I feel like you'd have to in some strange way.. Like could the LL could consider it a breach of contract?

If you already live there and are paying and they find out, they are unlikely to make much of a deal of it. Would be more effort for them to have to re advertise and find somebody else.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you could fail to mention that you have a dog until you view the place and build a rapport with the landlord. Then if you get to a stage were contracts are ready to be signed you can casually mention that you have a dog. By then the landlord will hopefully like you and be more open to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I feel like you'd have to in some strange way.. Like could the LL could consider it a breach of contrsct?

As others have said, most LL, including myself will not allow pets. Apartment OMC rules tend to prohibit them, house owners don’t want the risk of damage and the deposit often won’t cover the cost of replacing furniture/carpets/curtains etc if damaged.

It would be hard to see how it would not be a significant breach of contract if your tenancy agreement clearly prohibits pets in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

SteM wrote: »
    No because he's my child and not a dog. Don't get me wrong, I love my dog but if I couldn't find a suitable place to stay because of him then I would consider giving him up. Comparing the love I have for my child to a dog is bonkers imo.

There is nothing to compare, love is love, end of.
    Very responsible ownership right there. Be honest, you don't love your dog, you've no idea what love for an animal is if youd give them up. I'd sooner sleep in the park with my dog than give her up.

OP I've never rented with a dog, but my brother did for 10 years up to last summer, 3 different places, never a problem. Small king charles, not one complaint from neighbours, ea's or landlords. So there are places, it's just a competitive market no matter your family makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

Hoboo wrote: »
    There is nothing to compare, love is love, end of
    Very responsible ownership right there. Be honest, you don't love your dog, you've no idea what love for an animal is if youd give them up. I'd sooner sleep in the park with my dog than give her up.

No you're right, I don't love my dog :rolleyes:

. I'd sooner sleep in the park with my dog than give her up.

If you have a family and the dog was impacting your ability to put a roof over their head, you might have to pause for thought about your priorities.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    If you have a family and the dog was impacting your ability to put a roof over their head, you might have to pause for thought about your priorities.

Then don't get a dog. It's not a disposable commodity to bin as you see fit. It's part of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rochelle

Then don't get a dog. It's not a disposable commodity to bin as you see fit. It's part of the family.

Good job from the animal rights loons hijacking this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Facts don't care about feelings, cold but true.

Ben?

I understand, but if most LLs today will not accept pets, you are reducing your chances of getting a rental property. It could very well come down to a hard choice depending on how important it is to get a place to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No its a companion animal.

As much a "part of the family" as the pig that was used to make the rashers you ate last week.

• Advertisement

I understand, but if most LLs today will not accept pets, you are reducing your chances of getting a rental property. It could very well come down to a hard choice depending on how important it is to get a place to rent.

I understand this. There are plenty of places that accept pets, but in high demand areas like Dublin the pet issue will be far greater. It boils down to responsible ownership and planning properly before getting a dog, although some unfortunately fall into renting with a pet without thinking they would which is tough.

Animal Looney? Companion animal. Will you stop. Pair of clowns.

BOT:

OP try looking a bit further out, laytown, gormanstown, julianstown, all easily accessible to Dublin, the beach, plenty of rentals, you'll get more for your buck, and you'll find pet friendly LL's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jay_mate_jay

Im genuinely astounded by the negativity surrounding pets and children renting, how are any family's meant to stand a chsnce?

Having moved from England where this is not even an issue as long as you can prove you can pay your way and that you won't trash the gaff, I begin to see where the issues lie in the rental crisis.

We are lucky at the moment that we are living with family so we can bide our time a little but I'm shocked at so much of a negative response, even more so at the people who thinks it's okay to just dispose of a dog that's been a member of the family longer than my child has! Therefore love has no bounds for both my child and dog

Im genuinely astounded by the negativity surrounding pets and children renting, how are any family's meant to stand a chsnce?

Having moved from England where this is not even an option as long as you can prove you can pay your way and that you won't trash the gaff, I begin to see where the issues lie in the rental crisis.

We are lucky at the moment that we are living with family so we can bide our time a little but I'm shocked at so much of a negative response, even more so at the people who thinks it's okay to just dispose of a dog that's been a member of the family longer than my child has! Therefore love has no bounds for both my child and dog

To be fair, I doubt there are many LLs who don’t accept kids, dogs are a different matter. You love your dog, but to a LL a property is an asset and the risks of damage are higher with a dog. Also, if a dog (not yours) did thousands of euro worth of damage, the chance of a LL getting that from the dog owner are likely to be zero.

Unfortunately, their house, their rules. With high demand an owner knows they can reject pet owners.

To be fair, I doubt there are many LLs who don’t accept kids, dogs are a different matter. You love your dog, but to a LL a property is an asset and the risks of damage are higher with a dog. Also, if a dog (not yours) did thousands of euro worth of damage, the chance of a LL getting that from the dog owner are likely to be zero.

Unfortunately, their house, their rules. With high demand an owner knows they can reject pet owners.

Completely get that, maybe it is the approach that its not mentioned until a face to face meeting with the LL and we then discuss the pet and contingencies in place to protect their property. Maybe even suggesting to place a legal agreement to repair any significant damage caused by pet.

Completely get that, maybe it is the approach that its not mentioned until a face to face meeting with the LL and we then discuss the pet and contingencies in place to protect their property. Maybe even suggesting to place a legal agreement to repair any significant damage caused by pet.

The LL may have to go to court to enforce that legal agreement if the tenant refuses to pay. That would not appeal to many LLs.

Having moved from England where this is not even an issue as long as you can prove you can pay your way and that you won't trash the gaff, I begin to see where the issues lie in the rental crisis.

It really is crazy. Its very common to have a dog or a cat as a pet. It wouldn't be half as common if they really destroyed your house.

Huge cost, Short term leases, not allowed to have a pet... and people wonder why we're obsessed with home ownership

The LL may have to go to court to enforce that legal agreement if the tenant refuses to pay. That would not appeal to many LLs.

If the tenant has stipulated this, then there would be no case. This should give the LL confidence in the tenant?

It really is crazy. Its very common to have a dog or a cat as a pet. It wouldn't be half as common if they really destroyed your house.

Huge cost, Short term leases, not allowed to have a pet... and people wonder why we're obsessed with home ownership

Unfortunately home ownership has never been difficult in this country :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

I rented to people with dogs twice. Never again.

it was the same situation on both occasions. The smell of the dog was pronounced and obvious the minute you opened the door.
    There was hair all over the carpeted areas even though I was told the dogs "don't shed".

from what the neighbours told me the dogs were left in the back garden from 8 am til 6pm yapping and howling constantly.

The grass was worn in patches in the garden and there was ****e everywhere..disgusting.

The smell took days to get out of the house when they had left and the feckin hairs were a nightmare to hoover up from all the places they had managed to work themselves into.

I would never rent to anybody with a dog again and my own personal opinion is this: Dogs are social animals and don't like being kept by themselves for long periods of time and nor should they be kept in people's houses or kept out the back garden for weeks on end. Dogs are absolutely not suitable pets for urban living.

I rented to people with dogs twice. Never again.

it was the same situation on both occasions. The smell of the dog was pronounced and obvious the minute you opened the door.
    There was hair all over the carpeted areas even though I was told the dogs "don't shed".

from what the neighbours told me the dogs were left in the back garden from 8 am til 6pm yapping and howling constantly.

The grass was worn in patches in the garden and there was ****e everywhere..disgusting.

The smell took days to get out of the house when they had left and the feckin hairs were a nightmare to hoover up from all the places they had managed to work themselves into.

I would never rent to anybody with a dog again and my own personal opinion is this: Dogs are social animals and don't like being kept by themselves for long periods of time and nor should they be kept in people's houses or kept out the back garden for weeks on end. Dogs are absolutely not suitable pets for urban living.

I suppose the anti side of that is that my missus hates the dog hairs on the carpet so nearly follows the dog around with the vacuum haha!

I can see your point, its really irritating that one or two irresponsible owners have ruined your perception

• Advertisement

I suppose the anti side of that is that my missus hates the dog hairs on the carpet so nearly follows the dog around with the vacuum haha!

I can see your point, its really irritating that one or two irresponsible owners have ruined your perception

Hi OP

I asked the question yesterday: what kind of a dog is it? Big or small? Used to spending time out in the garden or not? Is he walked daily or left alone by himself?
    Also would you not consider Drogheda, Laytown, Bettystown, Julianstown, Gormanston, all within 20 mins of Swords. I am from Swords originally and live in Drogheda now and there is no comparison. Its lovely up this way and nicer for dogs too!

if you give a bit more information the posters might actually give more constructive comments - less negativity.;)

If the tenant has stipulated this, then there would be no case. This should give the LL confidence in the tenant?

Unfortunately not.

What happens if the tenant leaves and refuses/can’t afford to pay? LL has to go to a solicitor/court.

Hi OP

I asked the question yesterday: what kind of a dog is it? Big or small? Used to spending time out in the garden or not? Is he walked daily or left alone by himself?
    Also would you not consider Drogheda, Laytown, Bettystown, Julianstown, Gormanston, all within 20 mins of Swords. I am from Swords originally and live in Drogheda now and there is no comparison. Its lovely up this way and nicer for dogs too!

if you give a bit more information the posters might actually give more constructive comments - less negativity.;)

Sorry I mustn't have seen, I do apologise!

He is a rough collie kind of average collie size.. He is taken on at least hour long walks a day and has a kennel outside but currently has the choice to be outside or inside as my partber or me are always home

Unfortunately I couldn't as we don't drive and work in swords/santry

Unfortunately not.

What happens if the tenant leaves and refuses/can’t afford to pay? LL has to go to a solicitor/court.

I suppose so there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It's a very cruel thing to say imo You wouldn't think of giving your child away just because you can't find a new apt. I am being very realistic, I know it's not going to be easy to find a place with a dog but it is possible (as I mentioned two of my friends have dogs and are renting). Most people here are so negative, its so sad.

Landlords out there are charging huge amounts in rent for badly furnished, disgusting, mouldy, cold apartments, cop on - it is just a dog! Deposit should cover any damages (increase it if you are worried). Like someone said before children could do more damage to your property than a dog.

Anyone who tells him to give away his pet to a kennel has no heart. Hope someone will treat you like that one day - dispose, just because you are not convinient anymore.
    She compares a dog with a child and then says she hopes someone disposes of me because I'm not convenient anymore (simply because I wrote a comment on the internet, and merely stated the reality of the situation). Actual lunacy. :pac:

OP, I didn't suggest putting your dog in a kennel and of course it would be the absolute worst case scenario and would be horrible (although it would be just a matter of finding a new home for them too) but your dog is a major factor in preventing you from finding accommodation. It isn't inconvenience - it's literally a matter of having somewhere to live or not.

Sorry I mustn't have seen, I do apologise!

He is a rough collie kind of average collie size.. He is taken on at least hour long walks a day and has a kennel outside but currently has the choice to be outside or inside as my partber or me are always home

Unfortunately I couldn't as we don't drive and work in swords/santry

thanks for that.
    I don't agree with the negative comments here.
    I have a lovely house with an enclosed garden. I am thinking to going to Canada for at least 6 months to stay with my daughter who is due her first baby soon. I will be letting my house for that period.

As a previous dog owner I would prefer to let my house to someone with dogs rather than kids. Especially if the dog is trained and looked after. I used to keep my own dog in the house once I was there, and out in the garden if I wasn't. I agree that not all dog owners are good owners or have good dogs but the blanket negativity is depressing. The UK is a far more dog friendly country than Ireland and dogs are welcome in pubs, shops and rental accommodation.

Wishing you good luck in your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

People are not saying anything bad about dogs whatsoever - most people love dogs. The language you and that other one are using absolutely is loony. They are simply stating what the reality is in an horrendous rental market. Of course nobody wants it to come to that but it may have to be the case and would be horrible and hopefully wouldn't come to it, but mentioning it is not the same as agreeing with it. And comparing a child with a dog is dishonest at best.
    What do you want? The truth or lies?

I really hope you find somewhere that takes your dog (no doubt we all do) and people have mentioned examples of a dog being allowed (no doubt this was before the crisis though) but considering the competition you're up against. The crisis isn't *because of* property owners/agencies refusing to rent to those with children/pets, refusal to rent to those with children or pets is because of the crisis.

Kennels would of course be the worst resort if you have no joy. Could he stay with family?

And nobody said it's "ok" to "dispose of" a dog. You and others are determined to be hysterical and read it that way but all people are doing is highlighting the unfortunate reality of the situation - it's not something people like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I was wondering what tips or if anyone had any recommendations they could lend please

We are a very respectable family with good jobs and a very well behaved dog trying to move into a rental home in the Swords area in Dublin but nothing seems to be aligning.

Would anyone be able to help please!

simple get rid of the dog , no LL wants a dog in their property, unless the property is already rough.

been there with a tenant who had a dog. **** everywhere on the yard , garden etc . It was me who paid to get it cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In 2008-2012 you would have walked into a house without a issue.

Currently there are a large number of people who want to rent and a small number of property's. Meaning landlords can afford to be picky.

And renting is easier in England. Its not as stressed(outside of London) and the tenants there don't hold the same risk they do here, due to the eviction process there actually working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

The rental market is beyond repair at this stage.
    Would you consider purchasing a property as an alternative?

Advertisement