Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Minimal affect on us from Leslie really, but tight margins and a very small shift east has the potential for bringing very strong gusts over us:

h4Qgm5H.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bit more now from ME

During Thursday night/Friday morning there is the risk of stormy conditions
    developing as a deep area of low pressure tracks to the West of Ireland in a
    strong South to Southwesterly jet stream. Strong to gale force Southerly winds
    could potentially give some damaging gusts especially in the West. Heavy rain
    will clear to showers, with the risk of further rain returning from the South
    later. There is also the risk of coastal flooding due to high tides and surge.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Is it just me or do we seem to have a major increase in wind events say Darwin February 2014 to the present?

And these very early season storms over the past 2 years. I wonder if it's the start of a trend. I know we had 'Hurricane' Debbie in September 1961 but i doubt it was followed the following year by an Ali type storm.

Maybe it's just weather rather than climate. Hopefully so because if not global warming could be proceeding at a rapid rate. All the extremes we've witnessed starting with Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Is it just me or do we seem to have a major increase in wind events say Darwin February 2014 to the present?

And these very early season storms over the past 2 years. I wonder if it's the start of a trend. I know we had 'Hurricane' Debbie in September 1961 but i doubt it was followed the following year by an Ali type storm.

Maybe it's just weather rather than climate. Hopefully so because if not global warming could be proceeding at a rapid rate. All the extremes we've witnessed starting with Ophelia.

Something I've definitely noticed in the past few years is storms are tracking further south than usual, from 2000-2010 it seemed nearly every big storm would track just to our north with Donegal and Scotland seeing the strongest winds. These past few years it's increasingly been Galway/Mayo and even further south taking the brunt with the north less affected.

Just anecdotal but I cant remember the last decent storm to give us a direct hit in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Something I've definitely noticed in the past few years is storms are tracking further south than usual, from 2000-2010 it seemed nearly every big storm would track just to our north with Donegal and Scotland seeing the strongest winds. These past few years it's increasingly been Galway/Mayo and even further south taking the brunt with the north less affected.

Just anecdotal but I cant remember the last decent storm to give us a direct hit in Donegal

Yes, i agree, they all veered towards Scotland and Iceland for the most part. Stephen's Day 1998 would have hit ye fairly hard in Donegal? We had the opposite, Christmas Eve 1997 down in the south east was bad. Also Around St. Bridget's Day 1988 there was a bad enough storm that seemed to hit the north west badly. And one on the 5th/6th January 1991. February 1990 had a string of storms and was very wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes, i agree, they all veered towards Scotland and Iceland for the most part. Stephen's Day 1998 would have hit ye fairly hard in Donegal? We had the opposite, Christmas Eve 1997 down in the south east was bad. Also Around St. Bridget's Day 1988 there was a bad enough storm that seemed to hit the north west badly. And one on the 5th/6th January 1991. February 1990 had a string of storms and was very wet.

I was in Kerry then and that storm moved my digiweb satellite dish and knocked out all my communications. It also knocked a large tree across the private lane so I could not get out to report the damage.

The first big storm I remember here in Mayo last year ( my first year here) was Brian, I think the end of October? The day before I crossed to the mainland and got stranded and just managed to get home the following morning as Brian was rampaging in. Ophelia missed us , neatly turning inland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Anyone expecting red warning levels with this?

Don't mention the war! :D

Let's get closer to the event and see what Met.ie say.

Whatever the colour, people should take precautions for every storm that comes our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MJohnston wrote: »
    Can yis remember to link these event threads from the main season discussion thread? I completely missed this one till just now!

I usually do but keep forgetting sometimes :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Today's charts back away quite a bit from anything other than a Northwest event.
    Any further nudge West and it will be a non event.
    Let's wait and see though for this evenings ECM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

6pm forecast warns of potentially stormy conditions Thursday night into Friday and to "Check the website" for updates

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

6pm forecast warns of potentially stormy conditions Thursday night into Friday and to "Check the website" for updates

At least they have said watch this space. Hopefully they will update on radio and tv as well. Not everyone would be internet savvy or have net to access their site for update.

UK have issues Yellow for friday includes NI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Joanna pointed it out on the chart just now and said to keep in touch throughout the week as it’s one to watch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

GFS looking the strongest on the latest runs and has kept its track, shape and strong winds more or less intact for the moment, ARPEGE has lost some of its potency and shows the storm center further offshore and keeping the strongest winds further W and along coastal counties . ICON showing the frontal band not producing as strong winds as the others it too has lost some of its strength in general.ARPEGE the weaker of the three atm.

So this could be the beginning of it drifting further W / NW or maybe not. If the ECM 12Z is holding its track and strength like the GFS I would be inclined to side with them at this stage. The ARPEGE and ICON are better models closer to the event.

ECM rolling out soon, will be interesting to compare.

tempresult_akx9.gif

tempresult_fkd7.gif

tempresult_njo4.gif

90-515UK_eiw8.GIF

iconeu_uk1-24-90-0_qxg2.png

arpegeuk-53-90-0_vvc2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EC just rolled out- good run-to-run consistency, parts of the west and northwest to take a harsh hit with this one.

ECM1-72.GIF

ECM1-96.GIF

Significant winds on that ECM run

cPbEZDU.png

Deep into red alert territory for the West if that came off.

bhJSV3jt35QBAmoc6

Bad enough now frankly. West Mayo offshore island.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

cPbEZDU.png

Yup, a fairly widespread 130, mainly in the West/Southwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

If this maintains I'm assuming it's red warning and school's off.

Typical teacher but trying to organise matches is hard enough these days!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

EC just rolled out- good run-to-run consistency, parts of the west and northwest to take a harsh hit with this one.

Yeaah looks quite similar, a bit further W. and packing a punch. Moving faster than earlier runs.

uYf5gYe.png

p5s06b2.png

dlB6Zqa.png

Sho2Luy.png

Ejwr2Lc.png

s7uOZlY.png

wHgJvRh.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    If this maintains I'm assuming it's red warning and school's off.

Typical teacher but trying to organise matches is hard enough these days!

There is the potential for a red warning for limited areas in the west and northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

There is the potential for a red warning for limited areas in the west and northwest.

That's my area alright.

The current ECM charts showing heavy rain initially in the SW/ S and a less amount of rain spreading up over the country , later Fri into Sat showing very heavy rain in the S and SE and showing the SE /E especially wet into Sat ( a whole set of warnings in themselves ).

Again just a guide to what is being shown on the charts atm, subject to change.

GFS showing around 40mm falling in Southern counties in about 24hrs 07.00 Fri to 07.00 Sat on the current charts

AAy61pY.png

WOlZG1A.png

hRuWMML.png

The Jet particularly strong over Ireland on Fri.

sg0Trbq.png

7Dz2HBE.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Joanna gave a very good forecast there at 9pm. She pointed out a 'beast' of a storm on it's way and said it was one to watch alright but it's still 4 days away and could track different ways. Too early to cry wolf until we get more accurate data.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Any mention of a potential storm name yet? I suppose there's a slight chance of naming the Wednesday low if it appears to be a threat in Scotland at all. But if there's a list of names available, would be interesting to know what the next name in use will be.

I think the likely evolution of Michael further west is going to keep this one from any large-scale changes in track (in other words the ridge-trough steering set-up is locking in).

Some impacts from remnants of Michael possible around Monday-Tuesday of following week, would not expect models to lock in on that until maybe Thursday or so, either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Notice at top of page -- We will be carrying out some maintenance work in the datacentre on October 11th between 5am and 9am. Apologies in advance for any disruption.

Let's hope this thing doesn't speed up then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any mention of a potential storm name yet? I suppose there's a slight chance of naming the Wednesday low if it appears to be a threat in Scotland at all. But if there's a list of names available, would be interesting to know what the next name in use will be.

I think the likely evolution of Michael further west is going to keep this one from any large-scale changes in track (in other words the ridge-trough steering set-up is locking in).

Some impacts from remnants of Michael possible around Monday-Tuesday of following week, would not expect models to lock in on that until maybe Thursday or so, either way.

Callum is next up:

2018-19_stormposter.png

• Advertisement

One thing I saw about the storm naming recently actually - we have a reciprocal agreement with France/Spain/Portugal to use their storm names if they happen to be affected by one first that then affects us. This shouldn't happen with Potential Callum, but it's not always guaranteed we'll go straight to the next name (even if it isn't an ex-hurricane).

Advertisement