Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Quite a lot , it’s hard to picture what’s going on

A lot of posters there have an over reliance on the charts ,live by the long range charts die by them.
    Unless there is near complete agreement across all the models like in march this year use plenty of salt Makes them taste better.
    I do enjoy the posters there that break down why the charts changed, but sadly they mostly get ignored.
    I personally think we will get a bite of the frozen cherry early January
    Posters here in board's tend to be more level headed and realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭circadian

Unless something spectacular happens I can't see snow until further into winter. Any cold air coming from the east would still be relatively mild at this time of year, not to mention the sea not having had time to cool off, especially after an extended run of warm weather. October and start of November were very mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It’s crazy how quite it is in here compared to net weather .. mind blowing

Net Weather is good for info and has a lot of people who are very knowledgeable (like here, but with more traffic during boring periods to keep one excited about FI :D) but IMO the one big difference with our weather forum here is that people on NW can get incredibly, shall we say... Passionate about their forecasting. By which I mean it isn't unusual to see all-out personal attacks on eachother when peoples' forecasts differ, or when someone is the bearer of bad news. :D Our forum here has generally always avoided this, the only big incident I can remember was when Su Campu was being trolled and ultimately ragequit about five years ago, but apart from being well moderated people here just seem more chill.

Also, I have no idea how this happened, but through some bizarre miswiring of memories, every time I see or type the name of that site, my brain inserts it automatically into Gilbery & Sullivan's Mikado soundtrack, and I find myself humming

On a tree by a river, a little Tom Tit
    Sang weather, Net weather, Net weather.
    And I say to him dickie bird, why do you sit.
    Singing weather, Net weather, Net weather...

I assume this doesn't apply to anyone else on this planet at all? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Any snow lovers shouldn't be hoping for their favourite patterns this time of year anyway. Let the models constantly threaten only to be pushed back over and over until it gets deep into January and it finally happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

dsmythy wrote: »
    Any snow lovers shouldn't be hoping for their favourite patterns this time of year anyway. Let the models constantly threaten only to be pushed back over and over until it gets deep into January and it finally happens.

This is true, but to be fair I think for a lot of us, the idea of a snowy advent period, so it's snowy while all the Christmas reunions and festivities are going on, is icing (heh) on the cake when compared with the equally fun and epic, but not quite as "special" as New Year cold. I'd imagine most snow lovers would be naturally inclined to remember 2010 as their favourite snow spell, even if for instance Feb.March 2018 was more intense, simply because the December event aligned with hearing songs using tubular bells, and seeing santa sleighs all over the place :D

Not disagreeing with your prognosis, just my two cents on why people tend to get particularly excited about even the slightest hint of a 2010 redux when they show up in FI. A snow event is always epic, a snow event which aligns with Christmas is the weather equivalent of the best ride you've ever had. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's times like these when we're better off ignoring the models and pay more attention to expert forecasters who have much more data than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It's times like these when we're better off ignoring the models and pay more attention to expert forecasters who have much more data than we do.

You're 100% right. but where's the fun in that :)

You're 100% right. but where's the fun in that :)

I agree. Watching the models is such a headache right now but it's too addictive! It's too hard not to look at them even though they are useless for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭bazlers

Interesting read and more encouraging signs if your a snow kind of guy or gal.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/90875-winter-viewpoint-2018-19-nh-patterns/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

M.T.'s post in another Netweather thread in response to if his Winter thoughts have changed:
    Yes, same thoughts, don't mind the slow development, the really good winters seem to make a strong move towards cold around 15-20 December.

North American pattern setting up about as expected also, so no red flags, just waiting to see how it unfolds now.

False starts on GFS are often mirror images of what eventually happens, I think they pick up on a tendency that some other energy cycle then overrules for the time being, but it's a tendency that will try its luck again.

John Hammond says there is a risk of more severe cold from mid-December onwards in his latest month ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

sryanbruen wrote: »
    M.T.'s post in another Netweather thread in response to if his Winter thoughts have changed:

John Hammond says there is a risk of more severe cold from mid-December onwards in his latest month ahead.

Is there a link to that thread / post

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

John Hammonds stuff is premium content. So I think you have to pay…..:(

John Hammonds stuff is premium content. So I think you have to pay…..:(

No you don't, you just have to sign up an account. I have access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

No you don't, you just have to sign up an account. I have access to it.

COOL Awesome.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes, same thoughts, don't mind the slow development, the really good winters seem to make a strong move towards cold around 15-20 December.

North American pattern setting up about as expected also, so no red flags, just waiting to see how it unfolds now.

False starts on GFS are often mirror images of what eventually happens, I think they pick up on a tendency that some other energy cycle then overrules for the time being, but it's a tendency that will try its luck again.

Rosenallis on the edge of the Slieve Bloom had a good 4-5" of snow on 10th December last. Tullamore had an inch or two.
    I feel snow in my bones. That's a dirty east wind already ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Rosenallis on the edge of the Slieve Bloom had a good 4-5" of snow on 10th December last. Tullamore had an inch or two.
    I feel snow in my bones. That's a dirty east wind already ðŸ˜

We got a nice bit in east county Galway that date as well, so you never know! Sure is bitter today!

A summary of the long range seasonal models for Winter 2018-19.

ECMWF: Reversed from last month's update with a backloaded Winter being hinted at as blocking builds to the northwest of us by February bringing a cold end to the season. The start looks zonal and fairly mild.

CanSIPS: Lots of northern blocking throughout the Winter but perhaps too close to be delivering through cold conditions in December and January. February looks exceptionally cold however.

JAMSTEC: Usually by this stage, this model cancels its cold bias and begins to show mild temperatures for the Winter. However, the model has continued to show colder than average conditions for the UK & Ireland during Winter 2018-19.

Méteo-France: Much like the CanSIPS, this model shows plentiful northern blocking throughout the Winter and even going into Spring 2019 with a southerly tracking jet stream. Certainly looks cold with easterly or northeasterly winds being the dominant feature.

Glosea5: Well below average heights over Europe and above average heights over Greenland giving away to the possibility of frequent northeasterly/easterly winds. This is a cold Winter scenario and is a big flip on its previous updates.

IRI: Very similar to its last update with well above average temperature probability over Greenland and no signal over the UK & Ireland. Some parts of Europe going colder than average probability. This shows there is blocking up to the north bringing the winds in from an easterly direction. Again another cold Winter scenario.

JMA: Above average heights over Greenland with below average heights over Europe bringing the wind in from the east or northeast. Would likely be a lot of cold and snow conditions.

BCC: Above average heights stretching from Canada to Russia with below average heights in the Atlantic and parts of southern Europe. Mean wind direction would be easterly bringing in cold air from the continent.

CPTEC (Brazillian): Below average heights over southwestern Europe with above average heights to the east of Europe and to the north. This should be a cold Winter pattern but with the above average heights to the east of Europe, think it would prove more as a battleground than a straightforward cold Winter with lots of volatility.

CFSv2: Atlantic driven but not a clear cut mild signal as the jet stream is on somewhat of a southerly track with some northern blocking especially in January. Keep in mind that unlike the others named above which update monthly, this model updates daily so is prone to more chopping and changing.

So we have almost universal agreement from these long range models on Winter 2018-19 being blocked and cold, just slightly different positioning of the pressure systems which is key to how severe the season can get. Nevertheless, they're variations on the same theme.

Thanks Sryan, that is a strong signal there from the models. Unusual to such a strong blocked signal, usually the models show mild conditions.

MT on Netweather
    I don't expect too much to happen before mid-December, very strong cold outflow into eastern North America this week will tend to put too much southward pressure on the jet stream in the western Atlantic to prevent a milder pattern from re-establishing in western Europe for a couple of weeks probably, after which I think a stronger blocking high is likely to develop and another retrograde episode this time drawing on more potent cold than the current easterly has to work with. Probably some really good winter synoptics eventually, patience advised though. Dec 19 to 24 period will be volatile and may feature a winter storm for at least some parts of the UK and Ireland, possibly a battleground scenario. Much colder to follow that.

• Advertisement

Can't comment on the autumn thread so I'll say it here. I can't believe I'm saying this but the Dublin thunder-shield has been broken! (an even stronger shield than the Cork snowshield) Raining now with a rumble of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yeah just seen a large flash over the city a minute ago. Some serious amount of rain falling the last few hours as well.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Can't comment on the autumn thread so I'll say it here. I can't believe I'm saying this but the Dublin thunder-shield has been broken! (an even stronger shield than the Cork snowshield) Raining now with a rumble of thunder.

Wonder why the Autumn thread has been closed.

Huge flash out of nowhere in Dublin 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think a weather mod might need to learn the meteorological seasons :p

Horrible Autumn night out there but hopefully we’ll be looking at the radar again in a few weeks with the same activity but temps and dew point about 4c lower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dublin airport reporting a recent Thunderstorm also. Totally different down west, calm with long clear spells.(other thread now back open)

Is anyone able to post a link to the cold spell badk in November 2009? Or was it 2010

Is anyone able to post a link to the cold spell badk in November 2009? Or was it 2010

It was November 2010 :p.

All the links are in my most recent posts in the useful links thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531638&page=3

I keep forgetting to update it with general season discussions or other special threads! Must get down to it sometime like Christmas break.

All the links are in my most recent posts in the useful links thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531638&page=3

I keep forgetting to update it with general season discussions or other special threads! Must get down to it sometime like Christmas break.

After looking at that it feels like you wait to just fall asleep and wake up into a dream that we are back in that cold spell

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MR PIGGY

I'll bet my bottom dollar it was November 27th 2009 it started.

• Advertisement

MR PIGGY wrote: »
    I'll bet my bottom dollar it was November 27th 2009 it started.

It was 27th November 2010.... I don't know where you keep getting 2009 from.

Advertisement