Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future rare/collectable game lookout thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Prominent Castlevania display in HMV Grafton today, so it's still available, and a darn good game too for what it is (somewhere between Bayonetta and God of War)! Picked up NFS: Hot Pursuit myself for 22 in Game, happy with that :)

But yeah, love a good browse myself to pick up a bargain. It's increasingly rare, but I've found many gems on shelves for reasonable prices - Tactics Ogre being a recent one. Dragon Quest VI is on sale in Game for 25 too if anyone's interested - I would, but an incoming pizza shaped box has pretty much sucked up my gaming budget for the next month or so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You're right of course but its saddening, browsing and buying on-line just isn't as enjoyable as heading into town, touring all the shops and rattling through the shelves to see what's available.

That's true. There's nothing like sitting 40 minutues in traffic to get to town (bus OR car). Follow that up with being fleeced for car parking if you drive (Jervis Car Park has extortionate prices). Navigating through hoards of chuggers once you get into foot patrol mode, being ripped off in shops, because they themselves are being ripped off by rent and corporation rates. You then pick up a quick sandwich & drink which eats most of your €10, spend another 40 minutes sitting in more traffic, or on a urine soaked seat on a bus being coughed on by some junkball...to finally get home & play your game.

All in all, a hellish excursion with a lot of ripping off. Dublin city retailers can f''k right off tbh. If you want my money, make it more appealing & worthwhile. Fight for better rent/rates, don't expect me to take your pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

EnterNow wrote: »
    That's true. There's nothing like sitting 40 minutues in traffic to get to town (bus OR car). Follow that up with being fleeced for car parking if you drive (Jervis Car Park has extortionate prices). Navigating through hoards of chuggers once you get into foot patrol mode, being ripped off in shops, because they themselves are being ripped off by rent and corporation rates. You then pick up a quick sandwich & drink which eats most of your €10, spend another 40 minutes sitting in more traffic, or on a urine soaked seat on a bus being coughed on by some junkball...to finally get home & play your game.

All in all, a hellish excursion with a lot of ripping off. Dublin city retailers can f''k right off tbh. If you want my money, make it more appealing & worthwhile. Fight for better rent/rates, don't expect me to take your pain.

Where are you living?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Town for me is hop on a bus outside my house, play PSP for an hour, get off, sushi for lunch, have a wander around the shops for potential bargains, hit up some fine well-priced world cinema in the IFI.

Your experiences sound radically different to mine :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

That's an interesting journey Enternow...

I usually hit up Blanchardstown or The Pavilions for my game shopping, hassle free for the most part. Only really venture into town when meeting up with people or buying comics - comics, yeah I'm that kind of nerd.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I usually hit up Blanchardstown or The Pavilions for my game shopping.

Those are my meccaii (sic) of choice too. I also like to head up to Belfast and Antrim every once in a while, great places to get stuffs. Belfast in particular has some fun bargain stores to grab current and last gen stuff for next to nothing.

That said I find myself heading to high street stores of any variety less and less now, mainly because I prefer to scour forums and obscure Japanese websites for my goodies.

Comics and books I don't head to stores for, I buy mine online now, both digital and physical varieties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Comics and books I don't head to stores for, I buy mine online now, both digital and physical varieties.

If I had an IPAD I would probably buy online, where do you buy your physical ones from?

I have an iPad and a Kindle, I prefer to read texts on the Kindle. I buy 99% of texts at Amazon. Comics I rarely buy but if I do I use Amazon or my iPad.

90% of magazines I buy and/or read on my iPad too. Saves me lumbering heaps around with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I spend virtually every Saturday in town and find it a pleasant experience, buses are heaven when you've got a DS/PSP game you're itching to play, the longer the trip the better! Wander around grafton st, go for coffee with the gf or a friend, browse through the shelves for bargains and then go to shakeaway for milkshakes! By three you've had your fill and can head somewhere more scenic for the evening. Beats heading off to ikea, woodies, etc. and helps build up your 3DS streetpass hits (though nothing like compared to Tokyo!)

ghostchant wrote: »
    Beats heading off to Ikea

I like IKEA. I do get a bit OCD in the storage section though. :o

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Where are you living?!

In the real world.
    I spend virtually every Saturday in town and find it a pleasant experience, buses are heaven when you've got a DS/PSP game you're itching to play, the longer the trip the better!

Buses are heaven with a DS/PSP?? I tell you what, grab a 78A lets see how much your definition of heaven changes.

Buses are heaven with a DS/PSP?? I tell you what, grab a 78A lets see how much your definition of heaven changes.

Surely my definition of heaven would be the same, but my definition of buses would change :p
    I've played them on nitelinks full of hammered, aggressive people and survived anyway. Anyway even if I subtract my bus journey from the equation (during term time I have to teach classes for three hours on a Saturday morning and then walk from there into town, no gaming time for me) the rest of the day is still nice, weather-permitting :)

Surely my definition of heaven would be the same, but my definition of buses would change :p
    I've played them on nitelinks full of hammered, aggressive people and survived anyway. Anyway even if I subtract my bus journey from the equation (during term time I have to teach classes for three hours on a Saturday morning and then walk from there into town) the rest of the day is still nice, weather-permitting :)

Lol true that, the 78A has a certain noteriety. Where you have drunken yobs on the nightlink, you have chasing the dragon on the 78A etc etc. Its a kip of a bus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

haha so True, I wouldnt take my phone out on that bus, your just asking for some scumbag to sit beside you and ask "wha sorta fone iz dat bud"

Admittedly the 7 is a grand bus, you get the plenty of groups of d*icks at the back but in general it's fine. Just the one incident of full-on solvent abuse, though she was nice enough to sit beside me so I could enjoy the effects of it too :rolleyes: After everyone fled to the top deck the driver finally managed to get a police van to bring her the rest of the way.

Everyone hit up Akihabara and then reconsider whether Ebay is a preferable alternative to browsing in a shop :P

In the real world.

Chief, that ain't real, that's anti-Kansas.

Chief, that ain't real, that's anti-Kansas.

Trip to town 40 mins in traffic.
    Overly expensive car parking.
    Excessive chugging.
    Overly expensive retail sector due to high rent/rates.
    Not much change out of €10 for a sambo & drink.
    More sitting in traffic to get home.
    Buses with junkies/scummers/both/all

Sorry dude, but if you think the above aint real/normal for a trip to Dublin city center, you need to come back to Earth :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Excessive chugging.

Sorry dude, but if you think the above aint real/normal for a trip to Dublin city center, you need to come back to Earth :p

You could always just walk and bring a packed lunch?

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    You could always just walk and bring a packed lunch?

Nah, I'll just avoid going into the kip if at all possible :)

By the sounds of the last few posts anyone would think you's are taking a bus in to downtown Detroit! ;)

Excessive chugging.

I guess it must be standard, if you like your days out to be ****e.....
    I live in the southeast of Dublin though, so I imagine our bussing experiences may be completely contrasting.

Master of the Universe

Nah, I'll just avoid going into the kip if at all possible :)

I try to be in there as much as I can. After living in the middle of it for two years, living back out in suburbia has me bored off my tits! :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

By the sounds of the last few posts anyone would think you's are taking a bus in to downtown Detroit! ;)

Ah now come on that's a bit harsh, no need to slag off Detroit like that! :pac:

Have to agree with you EnterNow, I can't stand town for a long time now either. Driving & parking or darting you get raped on travel costs either way. Cinema is rip off, game shops are rip off, food places are rip off (apart from a tasty Chinese on Capel St). Not to mention all the annoying people... :p

I guess it must be standard, if you like your days out to be ****e.....
    I live in the southeast of Dublin though, so I imagine our bussing experiences may be completely contrasting.

Yeah, I love my days out to be crap :rolleyes:

Thankfully I don't have to use buses, but yeah, just because the likes of Terrenure bussing is pleasant doesn't mean they all are. As I mentioned, the 78A Thomas Street route is a particularly joyful excursion :D
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I try to be in there as much as I can. After living in the middle of it for two years, living back out in suburbia has me bored off my tits! :(

I can certainly understand that. There's a good buzz to city life too. My particular problem with Dublin city center shopping mainly though are the rip off prices. If it means buying from the net (to have some relevence in this thread :o) I will happily buy online to save money. If the retailers fight their corner with rent/rates (which I know for a fact can be done, I've seen it done) & reduce their prices accordingly, then I'll happily support bricks n mortar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I find getting into Dublin a breeze, even though I am living in the sticks.
    Hop in the car, head for the road behind the airport, down towards the Finglas rd and onto Glasnevin, past Mountjoy (on the lookout for pdbhps car, after being picked up for ram-raiding Game in his Micra), little shortcut there brings me to Mountjoy Sq, down Gardiner st, and a choice of parking, do I want to see if GameSexChange have even more overpriced copies of Fifa 92 for the MD or wander over towards Henry St?
    All in all it takes me, once I don't head in at a gods-awful time of day, about 30 mins to get into town, not to bad.
    The worst of it is paying for parking, hate hate hate that!
    Haven't taken the bus in years, but every single time I say (or type) that I end up on the 41B within a week. Weird stuff right there.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Haven't taken the bus in years, but every single time I say (or type) that I end up on the 41B within a week. Weird stuff right there.

Renaults & French cars in general would hear the grass growing my friend...:D

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Driving & parking or darting you get raped on travel costs either way.

Commuting to town is super cheap with taxsaver.ie, I wouldn't be without my card. Saves me nearly €700 a year on travel.
    Renaults & French cars in general would hear the grass growing my friend...

I drive a Citroen currently and absolutely love it. Very economical, comfortable and reliable. I had a Mercedes before that. I wouldn't buy another Mercedes ever again, or a Renault (had a Renault a while ago). Both are piles of loose, watery stools.

Recently I had a choice between an RX8, 350Z and a C3 and weighed up the options and decided not to be a dicksqueezer*. In all honesty I wouldn't want my dog dribbling over the back seats of an RX8 or 350Z or my wife's facewipes and gossip magazines strewn all over the place. Cheap to insure, saves me a fortune in petrol and tax and importantly gets my mutt and shopping to and from wherever the good woman and I need to go.

Citroen has an odd rep, but there's lots of those chevron-badged cars hitting the roads now. Sorry for straying OT.

*that said I do have my eye on an S2000 for Sunday driving when appraisal season comes round again. :D

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ah now come on that's a bit harsh, no need to slag off Detroit like that! :pac:

Have to agree with you EnterNow, I can't stand town for a long time now either. Driving & parking or darting you get raped on travel costs either way. Cinema is rip off, game shops are rip off, food places are rip off (apart from a tasty Chinese on Capel St). Not to mention all the annoying people... :p

Finally, thank you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

(on the lookout for pdbhps car, after being picked up for ram-raiding Game in his Micra)

Wrong, be on the look out for the manager of Game's car sticking out of the front of the shop all because he didn't have a weird Japanese obscurity for a pittance.

Eff Game!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I drive a Citroen currently and absolutely love it. Very economical, comfortable and reliable. I had a Mercedes before that. I wouldn't buy another Mercedes ever again, or a Renault (had a Renault a while ago). Both are piles of loose, watery stools.

Recently I had a choice between an RX8, 350Z and a C3 and weighed up the options and decided not to be a dicksqueezer*. In all honesty I wouldn't want my dog dribbling over the back seats of an RX8 or 350Z or my wife's facewipes and gossip magazines strewn all over the place. Cheap to insure, saves me a fortune in petrol and tax and importantly gets my mutt and shopping to and from wherever the good woman and I need to go.

Citroen has an odd rep, but there's lots of those chevron-badged cars hitting the roads now. Sorry for straying OT.

I have had 2 Citroen Xantias and 1 C5.
    The first Xantia was killed by it's own timing belt
    The 2nd one fell apart.
    The C5 was so expensive to maintain it beggars belief, nothing but trouble, between the suspension, handbrake (Attached to the front wheels for extra fun), valves, clutch, gearbox, numerous mysterious pipes under the bonnet and one hydraulic pipe that sprung a leak in the wheel arch.

My current car is a Renault Scenic 2 and that's a pile of fetid dingos kidneys as well, the engine is doing the most unusual things and after changing coils and plugs and having a Renault tech look at it I'm no closer to the solution, oh and the AC doesn't work nor does the window washer. And I had to repair the rear passenger window and the front driver side window mechanisms.
    Lots and lots of fun.

Next time I'm buying a flipping Mazda or a Nissan!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The timing belts on Renaults are absolutely ****e. It says they should be replaced every 70,000 km. You'd think it would snap a little bit after that then. Well mine snapped in my clio at just below 50,000 km and once the timing belt goes the engine needs a rebuild. Got it rebuilt and the guy doing it showed me that the power steering belt was hanging on by a thread as well. Other than that it's working fine, think I got lucky.

Timing chains rock!
    No breaky!
    Just the odd adjustment, much better.

I'd love to get a Mazda RX-8, just to confound my mechanic!

Timing chains rock!
    No breaky!

Ah, wenkel woes abound :p

It's what put me off getting one. That and the absurd MPG. I used to own a Ford Explorer and that thing got 12 MPG. That's the worst car I've owned for fuel economy, that said it was an absolute trooper, rarely let me down even in the stifling heat and salt air in Cayman.

I hated the Renault I had. Head gasket blew, electrics were wired up by someone with the IQ of a bubble in a malteaser. Rotten, horrible cars.

Love our Citroen though. I'd look to buy another one in the future if it keeps going like it has.

Timing chains rock!
    No breaky!

I've had timing chains snap on me or worse stay on but jump a couple of teeth thus smashing the pistons into the expensive to replace valves, amusingly enough I've never had a timing belt snap on me even one I had with over 100k on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I only changed mine on my ford focus recently at 180km! First time i changed it too, i do a lot of driving in and out to work. im on 208km now on an 05 focus.

pdbhp wrote: »
    I've had timing chains snap on me or worse stay on but jump a couple of teeth thus smashing the pistons into the expensive to replace valves, amusingly enough I've never had a timing belt snap on me even one I had with over 100k on it

Well ain't you but a motoring oddity, confounding normal automotive expectations at every turn!

Well ain't you but a motoring oddity, confounding normal automotive expectations at every turn!

You forgot to mention my awesomeness:pac::pac:

Focus/Mondeo belts are 10 years/100k afaik. But yeah, chains all the way. DPDT switches too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I saw Castlevania in the Swords branch of HMV last week if that helps, although I'd ring ahead if you were thinking of going in, that's too good a bargain to just let sit there... like I did... :(

I didn't see it last night in The Pav. :(

By the way, I stand corrected on HMV in there, they do still have PC and PS2 games but still only have about 2 copies of Warcraft and 807,952 copies of Take That and Singstar.

Did someone say that there was cheap copies of Dragon Quest in there? I didn't see those either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got DQ9 in there for about 25 euro. It's the same price in all HMVs. Amazing game, definitely a must buy.

DQ6 is twenty five in game, seems to have gotten a surprisingly large print run

Nintendo took over publishing of that game from Square Enix. SE weren't going to publish it here but nintendo are trying to push the DQ franchise in the west so did a better job than SE did with DQV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Wankel, the funniest name for an engine ever lol

You forgot to mention my awesomeness:pac::pac:

Master of the Universe

So almost ten years later, did anything in this thread end up making anyone rich? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I would have a small collection compared to most of you but the rarest games I have going by CEX prices are

1. Persona 3 FES (PS2)
    2. Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. (Gamecube)
    3. Zelda Twilight Princess (Gamecube)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Myrddin wrote: »
    Who's this "Myrddin" wenker! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Not from this thread but Godzilla on the PS4 has become a bit pricey! Got it for £20 in London several years ago when it was released. Even kept the receipt!

E60-A2-B11-0719-4-F56-AAB2-13-B8-CEB1-C36-D.jpg

Advertisement