Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future rare/collectable game lookout thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The GC version of Alien Hominid seems to be rare as well since it never got a release in Europe. Pity the game is a bit crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I also have SOTC and Ico card box editions. Ico's missing the art cards though :(

I'm banking on Pokémon box being one of the rarer Pokémon titles. In the US it was only sold in Nintendo store New York and in GC bundles and over here it was only bundled with Pokémon edition Gamecubes. Never sold on it's own. Not sure about the Jap release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Even now, the Retail stores are devoid of most worthwhile Wii and DS games. Whilst I doubt that much from this generation will be "Valuable" there will be plenty of desirable games that are scarce. Just at the moment under appreciated stuff with more limited runs like Zach and Wiki, No More Heroes 2, Henry Hatsworth and a few others are popping up at knock down prices, I try to grab em whenever I see them.

the first party stuff Like SMG1/2, DKC and pokemon is never going to drop dramatically in price so best to grab it now while its readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was reading somewhere recently how Nintendo are seriously controlling the print runs for first party titles - so they never end up in bargain bins or cheap second hand. It really shows. Was in Gamestop yesterday, (on my neverending search for a cheap NSMB Wii) and it's 44.99 preowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Alien Hominid (PAL) on PS2 is quite rare. Odd, it's still available as a flash game, but American collectors go a bit ga-ga for the European disc release, as it's turned into something of an obscurity.

Sweet, I didn't know that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was reading somewhere recently how Nintendo are seriously controlling the print runs for first party titles - so they never end up in bargain bins or cheap second hand. It really shows. Was in Gamestop yesterday, (on my neverending search for a cheap NSMB Wii) and it's 44.99 preowned.

Yes they are and if their games don't sell over a million they recall them and destroy them or reprogram the cartridges. It's really annoying because I really want Donkey Kong and Kirbys Epic Yarn but for the same price as one of them I can get 3 other games I want.

I think the operation rainfall games might be a good investment. Those are the 3 games nintendo europe are publishing and don't look likely to make it to the US, namely Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just looking up Alien Hominid there (thinking it may have been my retirement fund) but all the copies on Ebay - on all consoles - are all only lingering around the tenner mark, alas. GBA version, however, seems fairly valuable.

MGS3 Subsistence, though, is definitely worth a bit of change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

MGS3 Subsistence, though, is definitely worth a bit of change :)

Sweet, didn't know that either.
    I'm enjoying this thread so far :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not to burst any bubbles but the Gamestop warehouse is all quite, well, corporate.
    Shelves and shelves of current gen games, anything that doesn't sell is either dumped into a few shops in bargain bins or 3 for 2 deals or otherwise ends up in a skip.
    My find of a crate of Xbox games was great but no similar Psone box was there, same with GC games, very poor selection.
    And by now is say the games to be found are Psp, but it'll be another while before they are swept up and dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just looking up Alien Hominid there (thinking it may have been my retirement fund) but all the copies on Ebay - on all consoles - are all only lingering around the tenner mark, alas. GBA version, however, seems fairly valuable.

Well, it's a future collectable. Anyways, it's only really worth anything, if it's a PAL copy in the States, as I wrote above, every other version of it is as common as muck, and there's little demand for it here regardless. Anyways, here's the going rate for it Stateside, previewable here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALIEN-HOMINID-XBOX-GAME-PAL-UK-MICROSOFT-SEALED-RARE-/170663688162?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item27bc5937e2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALIEN-HOMINID-XBOX-GAME-AU-PAL-MICROSOFT-SEALED-/170664115556?pt=AU_PC_Video_Games_Games&hash=item27bc5fbd64

The second's AU PAL, but still.

I'll echo the sentiment of Rising Star games. Muramasa: The Demon Blade on the Wii being a prime example. Been trying to track
    another copy for myself, it's hard. I've seen two copies in the wild.

• Advertisement

Plenty of PS2 games. Suikoden 3, Grandia Xtreme and 3, the first Katamari, anything by Atlus... drawing a blank but loads to look out for.

As for GC look out for Chibi Robo, Baiten Kaitos Origins and anything else really since it's simple to play import games with a freeloader disc. Can't think of any other exclusives other than BK Origins, Chibi Robo is easier to find than the PAL version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Following on from Retr0

Cubivore on GC is relatively rare if you can find one, no PAL release so that's a bonus. PSO Episode 1+2 Plus, it was a non PAL update, goes for big moolah. Can't remember what the update was, sumt about the online experience anyway!

On PS2, Xenosaga Episode 3, SMT: Devil Summoner 2 (Atlus but especially due to non PAL!), Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and the .hack GU series. Basically if it's a half decent RPG!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

tales of vesperia for the 360 is hard to find these days and also worth quite a bit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Well, it's a future collectable. Anyways, it's only really worth anything, if it's a PAL copy in the States, as I wrote above, every other version of it is as common as muck, and there's little demand for it here regardless. Anyways, here's the going rate for it Stateside, previewable here:

Those are for sealed copies though, and they're always going to go for a premium :) I'm sure the game will be worth money in the future though - especially when Microsoft have to shut down the XBLA servers because they were becoming suspiciously sentient ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll echo the sentiment of Rising Star games. Muramasa: The Demon Blade on the Wii being a prime example. Been trying to track
    another copy for myself, it's hard. I've seen two copies in the wild.

Saw a copy of that this afternoon, was raging as had no cash so no I won't be telling you where I saw it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm tempted to just buy Muramasa now.

But then I remember I'm still looking for a job :(
    dmcdante wrote:
    tales of vesperia for the 360 is hard to find these days and also worth quite a bit

God, I hate you Namco-Bandai.
    First you tell me all about the AWESOME, REDONE, FINAL EDITION of Tales of Vesperia on PS3.

Then you say it's never, ever coming out in English.

HATE. YOU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Hhhmm....Okami, Suikoden IV and V, Killer 7 and Virtua fighter 4:evolution seem like future rare games on the PS2.
    On the 360 you'd mainly be looking at JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Hhhmm....Okami, Suikoden IV and V, Killer 7 and Virtua fighter 4:evolution seem like future rare games on the PS2.
    On the 360 you'd mainly be looking at JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean etc.
    Oooh, I have those PS2 games (except for Suikoden IV).

What makes them so rare-ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

Think this will hold its value in future years imo

Like Hotel Dusk:Room 215 both are not really games,More like interactive novels

I enjoyed both of them though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Oooh, I have those PS2 games (except for Suikoden IV).

What makes them so rare-ish?

Great games, cult followings and low enough print runs.

• Advertisement

Suikoden IV is far from a good game. Suikoden V is great though. Not sure those games will hold their value, there's plenty of copies around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Is Okami any use? Always loved the look of the game.

zero19 wrote: »

Do you have to ask? It's one of the best games ever made.

zero19 wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Get out!! It's one of my favourite games even though I never actually finished it. Gorgeous art style, great story and a fantastic game overall. If you can't get it on PS2 it was also brought out on the Wii and an sequel called Okamiden on the DS is also available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Get out!! It's one of my favourite games even though I never actually finished it. Gorgeous art style, great story and a fantastic game overall. If you can't get it on PS2 it was also brought out on the Wii and an sequel called Okamiden on the DS is also available.

Has anyone else noticed how mature & knowledgeable Atavan has become since that newer lad appeared (can't remember his name). Normally the above post would have read something like:
    SSllllooooog i ams drink a lot 2nite. ny1 got a lend of e tuthbrush for in morning i ims tryin find hawt girls

But instead we get sensible consumer advice, intricate gaming knowledge, & honest economic advice. Things, they are a changing :D

Okami is awesome, although I still think it's overlong. Doesn't really matter though, given how stunning the presentation and general design is.

As for rare? Not quite. Amazon still have copies in stock of the PS2 original and Wii version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capcom-Okami-PS2/dp/B000JL6F2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310749594&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Those are for sealed copies though, and they're always going to go for a premium :) I'm sure the game will be worth money in the future though - especially when Microsoft have to shut down the XBLA servers because they were becoming suspiciously sentient ;)

There's a used copy there too, commanding thirty. Anyways, it's a last gen budget title commanding that premium sealed, something it struggled to do new and few of its kin manage to either. On another note, Marvel vs Capcom 2(PS2)peaked at about 300 quid a go a couple of years ago, used! before it was reissued on PSN. It still commands a halfway decent 30 used these days. Might be worth hanging on to in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Okami is awesome, although I still think it's overlong. Doesn't really matter though, given how stunning the presentation and general design is.

As for rare? Not quite. Amazon still have copies in stock of the PS2 original and Wii version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capcom-Okami-PS2/dp/B000JL6F2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310749594&sr=8-2

Was hoping no-one would mention that, while til I'll be putting an order in. :pac:

EnterNow wrote: »
    But instead we get sensible consumer advice, intricate gaming knowledge, & honest economic advice. Things, they are a changing :D

I'm too old for mad drinking sessions apparantly. Damn young kids showing me up :mad: That or my body is too accustomed to it *finishes gallon of whiskey*

I do have some gaming knowledge too! :D I'm just not opinionated on anything. "SNES or MD? Just buy both!"

• Advertisement

I'll also be in Ayia Napa next week so god help you all if there's any sort of internet connection over there.

Anyone know of any good retro spots over there btw? :D

Advertisement