Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

FFVII wrote: »
    you can use firefox, adblock, ghostery, privacy badger, duckduckgo, don't use gmaps, don't use gmail, lock down android and on and on it goes...:pac:

Thats dreadful advice. Especially for a person who by being in this thread has admitted they aren't tech-savvy.

"Don't use gmail". So, Jellybaby should set up there own mail server, running on a Lenovo ThinkCentre underneath their stairs? Cop on.

Cookies are everywhere. its a fact of life.

When you say "you are tracked all over the internet" it makes it sound like the user is being watched. They are not.

Gmail - (Owned by Google), gmaps - (Owned by Google) etc use your browsing habits to do analysis and drive advertising. Thats how malicious it is. They aren't watching your every movement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't think it's dreadful advice, I think it's something to start from and if something isn't clear we can ask. As for not using gmail, plenty of other mail providers around without having to set up your own server.
    The complaint was about getting unwanted ads, those suggested are all valid points, IMO.
    BTW, if you don't want to use google as a search engine, aside from duckduckgo you can also use qwant or ecosia.org. Neither track you, the latter plants trees using revenue from your searches.

There's no doubt that Google is the more comprehensive search engine, but in the library service we often recommended people to use DuckDuckGo to stop the user's habits and interests being tracked for intrusive advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Thats dreadful advice. Especially for a person who by being in this thread has admitted they aren't tech-savvy.

"Don't use gmail". So, Jellybaby should set up there own mail server, running on a Lenovo ThinkCentre underneath their stairs? Cop on.

Cookies are everywhere. its a fact of life.

When you say "you are tracked all over the internet" it makes it sound like the user is being watched. They are not.

Gmail - (Owned by Google), gmaps - (Owned by Google) etc use your browsing habits to do analysis and drive advertising. Thats how malicious it is. They aren't watching your every movement.
    I mean, a lot of people don't like that, including the poster who asked for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

My query actually was, how did Youtube know what I was looking at on Boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My query actually was, how did Youtube know what I was looking at on Boards?

You were logged in to Google who tracks your every move .....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It depends on what cookies you accepted along the way - sometimes some cookies will look at your browsing history and pick up stuff from there. They can be very, very, very sneaky.

BTW, there's a way of deleting and stopping youtube history and most tracking in it. I'll see if I can find the correct area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I mostly use Safari to surf internet.
    So Safari informs me that in the last 31 days that " google analytics.com was prevented from profiling you ( ie. me) across 14 websites.
    aldi.ie -- 14 trackers
    helpscouth.net --8 trackers
    boards.ie--8 trackers
    rte.ie--7 trackers
    mccannfitzgerald.com--7 trackers
    hse.ie--6 trackers
    flac.ie--4 trackers
    anpost.com --1 tracker
    boots.ie--1 tracker

and the list goes on an on

So its not just your tube, or boards, it could be any website and any time where trackers are popping up

New Home wrote: »
    BTW, there's a way of deleting and stopping youtube history and most tracking in it. I'll see if I can find the correct area.

I'm not worried about anyone knowing my browsing history, I'm a very good girl! Nothing to hide! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yeah Google track your interests so they can use targeting advertising, but you can opt out of it. It's not really a big deal imo.

I'm not worried about anyone knowing my browsing history, I'm a very good girl! Nothing to hide! :D

:)

This is specifically about the youtube history, which is one of the things google use to base their suggestions on.

There was an old anecdote of someone who kept complaining to his colleagues that all the teaspoons he brought to the office kept disappearing, so his very kind coworkers decided to be very helpful and started writing "spoon spoon spoon" or something like that at the bottom of each email they sent him... in white font, so he wouldn't see it. The paranoia kicked in when all of a sudden he started seeing ads and suggestions about spoons all over the internet. :D

:)

This is specifically about the youtube history, which is one of the things google use to base their suggestions on.

There was an old anecdote of someone who kept complaining to his colleagues that all the teaspoons he brought to the office kept disappearing, so his very kind coworkers decided to be very helpful and started writing "spoon spoon spoon" or something like that at the bottom of each email they sent him... in white font, so he wouldn't see it. The paranoia kicked in when all of a sudden he started seeing ads and suggestions about spoons all over the internet. :D

That's hilarious!

When a Boards poster quotes a Twitter link, why can't I open it? Do I have to have a Twit account?

It depends on what browser you're using and on your tracking protection. If you right-click on them (or long-press on them from your phone) you can open them in a new window and you'll be able to see them.

It depends on what browser you're using and on your tracking protection. If you right-click on them (or long-press on them from your phone) you can open them in a new window and you'll be able to see them.

I'm using my desktop computer. Can't be faffing on a phone screen, too small for me. Right click doesn't work.

Right-click on the link, go to "open in new tab". Right-click on its own won't work. What are you seeing when you right-click on the link?

Right-click on the link, go to "open in new tab". Right-click on its own won't work. What are you seeing when you right-click on the link?

Ah, my mistake, Mixed up my left and right. I've just checked the right-click and it opened up on a new page. Great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ah, my mistake, Mixed up my left and right. I've just checked the right-click and it opened up on a new page. Great, thanks!

Place your cursor (arrow) over the link and press the mouse wheel. Should open the link in a new page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I like watching online auctions on the laptop and up to this I could watch reviewed highlights afterwards now there will be a charge of E100 to watch highlights but the live auctions are still free .would it be possible to record the live auctions on my laptop and watch it later because I am too mean to pay E100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭SourSessions

cute geoge wrote: »
    I like watching online auctions on the laptop and up to this I could watch reviewed highlights afterwards now there will be a charge of E100 to watch highlights but the live auctions are still free .would it be possible to record the live auctions on my laptop and watch it later because I am too mean to pay E100

https://www.apowersoft.com/free-online-screen-recorder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Gabbyss wrote: »
    To be honest, I haven't come across a similar one, since I rarely make print screenshots of my correspondence in messengers, but several times I couldn't take a screenshot in the different programs. I wanted to send my colleague a step-by-step photo instruction on how to use some of the functions of our office software, but I ran into this problem "can't take screenshot due to security policy". I didn't have much time, so I used the first Windows screen recorder that I found here https://www.movavi.com/screen-recorder/ and it worked. I cann't understand why I couldn't take a photo of the screen while I was able to record on video all my actions that were visible on the monitor. Any ideas?
    Your company security is sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Push Notifications

I used to be able to play lotto online or order just eat online

Now they send me a message from my bank saying press your mobile no.

Nothig happens and i get no mesage on my phone.

Seemingly push notifications is disabled on my phone.

I have googled how to enable it through settings but no matter what I try cant get it to work.

Anyone got an easy solution for a non tech person?

Thankss

Check in your spam message folder, maybe they end up in there.

This is in my phone rather than pc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

There's a spam folder for text messages, too (at least, in Android). Go to your messages and click on the three dots. You should get a drop down menu where you should be able to see "Spam and blocked", or something similar.

Thanks New Home.

Tried that but nothing there.

Maybe ill just go to 3 shop and ask one of their young tech wizards have a look

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you are on an android phone then go to "Settings" then in here there should be a "Notifications" section so click into it, scroll down to the relevant app and click on it. You should see a button to enable notifications for that app or disable them etc.

Advertisement