Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

All I know is I've been waiting 25 years for another Mortal Kombat movie that I could enjoy just as much as the original and this definitely succeeds! I wasn't sold on them creating a whole new character but I think it worked, the games have just been making this **** up since it started, at one point the games just basically reset the whole storyline and just start again, so why can't the movie?

I really enjoyed the opening, I'd watch a whole prequel movie of them just going back to the war between the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu! This had ridiculous fights and plenty of gore, the story line is non-existent but who really cares, it's a movie based on a game where people kick the crap out of each other! We got fatalities, special moves and loads more little references to the games, which I loved, and the theme tune thrown in here and there, what more could you want?

Except there is no actual Mortal Kombat tournament for all the talk of it.:pac:

There's Kombat between Mortals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

no topless scenes bar Liu Kang ,Cole ,and Reptile which was disappointing, though we'd have got some Sonya or Melina breast glimpses. also noted that Goro has 4 nipples, checked back on the video game and he's only 2 in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

...it's a movie based on a game where people kick the crap out of each other!

I disagree. While yes, it's a brutal fighting game, the story mode for the last few games has been very good, and yes, I play them for the story. I always have. I find it hard to believe Boon was OK with the story in this.

And indeed, a quick Google shows both Boon and Tobias have not given any comment on what they think of it... kinda telling tbh.

I disagree. While yes, it's a brutal fighting game, the story mode for the last few games has been very good, and yes, I play them for the story. I always have. I find it hard to believe Boon was OK with the story in this.

And indeed, a quick Google shows both Boon and Tobias have not given any comment on what they think of it... kinda telling tbh.

I also play them for the story and for every single game in the series the story is complete nonsense, so on a par with this movie I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

Watched it at the weekend.
    Thought it was entertaining and enjoyable but a bit of a mixed bag.
    The new character was entirely dull and pointless. Felt some characters got the short end of the stick. On the other hand I thought Sub-Zero and Kano came off very well. Bit too much sequel bait at the end and the story could have been better. Can't believe what they did to
    Goro
    to be honest.
    Had fun with it all the same.

Anyway, those are my general thoughts. I went into more detail in a video review if anyone wants to hear some more specific positives and negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought it was fairly decent for what it was - good gory fun, wouldn't win any recognition for acting or storyline, the whole thing does play out like a half-baked video game. Was about as good as I expected.

I wouldn't say it's better than the original movie - it's actually more stupid, but it's much more violent and obviously has vastly superior CGI.

Most of the characters were pretty cool and well realised on screen, but the main guy was really weak. The whole opening scene with Scorpion and Sub-Zero really should have been the foundation of the movie, not the central character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Well it's Google Play now for anyone interested.

It was ok, I can't really say more than that. Some really embraced their characters, others just didn't work. Having Lewis Tan, a very charismatic guy, playing someone so utterly bland is mystifying.

For anyone that's a fan of the MK mythos I don't think this was the film they would have been hoping for. It was just generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well it's Google Play now for anyone interested.

It was ok, I can't really say more than that. Some really embraced their characters, others just didn't work. Having Lewis Tan, a very charismatic guy, playing someone so utterly bland is mystifying.

For anyone that's a fan of the MK mythos I don't think this was the film they would have been hoping for. It was just generic.

Seen it on Sky Store there, had I not had HBO I would be tempted to buy it.

And I'd be disappointed. Thank god for HBO Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Like of all the things I would have thought I'd find memorable watching a big budget MK film, KABAL sh1t talking Kano was not the highlight I had forseen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Like of all the things I would have thought I'd find memorable watching a big budget MK film, KABAL sh1t talking Kano was not the highlight I had forseen.

It all fell flat for me. I love nostalgia and big budget movies, but some decent acting, plot and storytelling are needed.

It was more Transformers 2 than Transformers 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭sonic85

Would 50 odd million be considered a big budget though?

I'm just after watching this and thought it was ok. I quite enjoyed it but its utterly forgettable and there were some choices made that I thought were a bit bizarre. Cole shouldn't have been the lead. The couple of scenes with Scorpion and Sub Zero saved the movie for me and made it passable rather than being a complete waste of everybody's time. Raiden and Shang Tsung were miscast IMO. I'd have got Donnie Yen in to play Raiden.

Kevin Tancharoen should've been given what he wanted to make his Mortal Kombat movie. I'd say he wouldve given it a better crack. Regardless I hope theres a sequel to this - just with a bit more thought and effort put into it. And give Scorpion and Sub Zero more screen time goddammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Whatched this last night on Amazon prime. I really enjoyed it and so did my 12 year old son. The wife thought it was horrendously bad with lots of violence.

The fight scenes were very good. My advice is switch off the brain and enjoy some nostalgic fun violence with some comedy thrown in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched this! This was great craic! Story was surprisingly solid!

Great to Joe Taslim (who was a surprise to me) as Sub Zero. He was great in the Warrior series!

Also Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion was great! Real reminder of his performance in the Helix tv series!

Kano was some surprising comic relief in many ways! 😁

Liked that this was a real intro-ey prequel-ey feeling film. Not sure story-wise but it still feels like tournament could be done in a future film in the same universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,344 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any excuse!

Mortal Kombat Theme Song Original

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,959 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hope this one actually has a tournament!

I didn't even click the youtube video and I can hear the music! 😲

Advertisement