Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Wind Warning for Cork & Kerry - Strong Winds 10th & 11th March

Options
123457»

Comments

Nudging 80kmh NW at my station near Arklow at the moment
    The station is sheltered from that direction,so could be stronger
    Its certainly howlingly loud enough to be
    Its been gusting above 60 or 70kmh all night
    Very loud outside in it as Ive just been out there (calving duty)
    Current 10 min average 44kmh NW,so Id be happy enough to describe it as a persistent strong gale
    I certainly wouldnt like to be out in the middle of the Irish sea! Which is 2kms East of me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Pretty gusty after 2am for about an hour, wonder what the max gust reports will be? Surprised there are not more reports of power outages this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The "aftershock" lasted a while!
    Storm episode 2 … But easing now. Bitterly cold out and gutsy gusts, and magnificent cloudscapes a relief from the low-lying gray of yesterday.

met ie promises a continuation of coastal westerly winds " strong to gale force..." mentioning sleet etc - and into tomorrow too... Mad March!

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Oddly enough in Cobh (and Roches Point shows it too) it was worse around 9pm than it was around 1 - 2am when it was expected to peak. Fine by me!

My station topped out at 75kmh gust around 9pm and about 59kmh around 1am. Its newly sited up a pole but still some trees may buffer SW winds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not a named storm but added this windy episode to the comparison table nevertheless and added 14 February at the time too given it was an orange wind warning but did not share.

On a national average using the stations in the table, this episode was the second windiest this season with only Bella windier and has been windier than many depressions before (most notably Lorenzo :cool: ) but nothing remarkable.

For new visitors, the gusts are colour coded based on the warning system set out on met.ie. Yellow is 90-110 km/h, Orange is 111-130 km/h and Red is greater than 130 km/h.

ennUduq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was a wild enough night! Still some heavy showers around. Just went outside and the fence is damaged which isn't ideal :(

Bitterly cold in the breeze out there. Just bitter. Beautifully bright skies after the gray gloom of the last days but cold

The ocean is a white-fretted glory!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not a named storm but added this windy episode to the comparison table nevertheless and added 14 February at the time too given it was an orange wind warning but did not share.

On a national average using the stations in the table, this episode was the second windiest this season with only Bella windier and has been windier than many depressions before (most notably Lorenzo :cool: ) but nothing remarkable.

For new visitors, the gusts are colour coded based on the warning system set out on met.ie. Yellow is 90-110 km/h, Orange is 111-130 km/h and Red is greater than 130 km/h.

I was playing around with putting your figures onto a map, just out of interest and learning :)

https://public.tableau.com/profile/dmc17#!/vizhome/IrelandStorms/IrelandStorms?publish=yes

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Couple of rumbles of thunder here, east limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Caught outside in driving sideways gusts of hail here in Clondalkin. Gone very dark all of a sudden too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Accumulations of hail here, north Dub, 5c. Nice to see the ground white in parts temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Big temperature fluctuations today, Short hail shower just there dropped the temperature from 8.4°c to 4.8°c in 10 minutes. West Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Storm 10

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Big temperature fluctuations today, Short hail shower just there dropped the temperature from 8.4°c to 4.8°c in 10 minutes. West Clare

Same in Galway temp just went straight down from 8 to 3.5 in a few minutes with strong wind and hail.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Same in Galway temp just went straight down from 8 to 3.5 in a few minutes with strong wind and hail.

It just arrived up here. Smashing on the windows … sudden surge in volume. West mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Wet snow near Roscrea

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Pergola here (Tullamore) coming apart (needed a bit of work but dammit) as I stare helplessly at it on an online course for work.....
    Bit of fresh air in the offing after 530....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wet snow near Roscrea

Same here just before 3.30pm! Quite a sight! Hail to today in some of the showers which came in bands between 2pm and 4pm roughly. Beautiful clear sky across south Laois now with nice sunshine.

sryanbruen wrote: »

45mph top gust - Durrow (72kmph)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Definitely felt like more than that Danno, at least in my part of Laois. Around 2am the wind direction shifted to the West and it really got going for about an hour after that. Is your location sheltered from the worst of the wind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has Met Eireann apologised yet?

The yellow sticker for Waterford was wildly wrong.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Bitterly cold in the breeze out there. Just bitter. Beautifully bright skies after the gray gloom of the last days but cold

The ocean is a white-fretted glory!

Adding a much better photo; I managed to get out at the back this time properly...

This is sheltered and usually mirror calm. Just behind the garden fence.. North facing.

Darwin wrote: »
    Definitely felt like more than that Danno, at least in my part of Laois. Around 2am the wind direction shifted to the West and it really got going for about an hour after that. Is your location sheltered from the worst of the wind?

Just checked the stats, the top gust arrived at 3am here when the wind was blowing from a WSW direction, this direction is slightly sheltered for me with land rising along a ridge to my SW.

The wind backed westerly after that with gusts remaining in the low 40mph range,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I hear Evelyn is addressing the nation at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Very very heavy hail shower here now outside Tullamore. I would say cm-size?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What was that Harry?

Advertisement