Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orange Wind Warning for Cork & Kerry - Strong Winds 10th & 11th March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just out of interest how come this storm hasn’t been named?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 just landed at Galway Hospital brave guys getting some buffeting coming in, landed nose into the wind then straightened up at the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

5pm
    Mace head gusting 56 knots (104 km/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Just out of interest how come this storm hasn’t been named?

I was thinking the same thing yesterday although I am glad Cork and kerry are in a orange warning but that should be enough for a named storm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I see that that Joint Cyclone Center guy (I know!) is calling it Storm Evert.

??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 just landed at Galway Hospital brave guys getting some buffeting coming in, landed nose into the wind then straightened up at the last minute

Those men are heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Graces7 wrote: »
    Those men are heroes.

How's it out on the island Grace?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Its getting very gusty up here.....

Going to the village to get some beer - its going to be a long night.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Those men are heroes.

And women ofcourse :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Wearing of The Green

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I see that that Joint Cyclone Center guy (I know!) is calling it Storm Evert.

??

After Chris Evert Lloyd ;) Could be a lot of back and forth with this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The previous orange wind warning wasn't named either. Must have changed the criteria.

How's it out on the island Grace?

Getting louder and gustier; we are safe inside for the night. Hunkered down with the stove piled with turf and plenty to eat. Snugged in deliciously...

I have excellent wax ear plugs now which help greatly..

Hoping all out here are safe and that the storm passes over without damage. ( Still waiting for the obligatory flying trampoline though; we had the bins already.. )_

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just back from a 90 minute walk in North kerry at 176m plus. Blustery but no rain.
    Wind picked up in the last few minutes

met ie mention sleet, snow, ,and wintry showers … oh and thunder!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Stormy now here just outside Castlebar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Blustery and some big squally showers going through here near Tralee.

Fenit, Co Kerry at about 16.30

Oc21945.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Ninja Snow Showers from Thursday to Saturday .....:D

qFomRoa.png

p3gNnk2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

this is a proper nasty one.

Battered by sudden vicious-sounding deluges and wailing of wind .. Highly dramatic now..... ]

west mayo offshore

Blustery and some big squally showers going through here near Tralee.

Fenit, Co Kerry at about 16.30

Oc21945.jpg?1

Forgive please my poor memory of Fenit but that is a statue? St Brendan? I used to visit Fenit often but not for years now.

Magnificent photo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Winds have eased down here Kildare if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The birds in my garden have been missing all day and that's a sure sign it's going to get rough.
    I did stand in the yard for a while and it was blustery but not the worst I can remember.
    North Kerry.

Dan.

Forgive please my poor memory of Fenit but that is a statue? St Brendan? I used to visit Fenit often but not for years now.

Magnificent photo...

It truly is a magnificent photo!

Meteorite58, you should share that with the media?

Can hear the wind picking up now in Cork City centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Bad enough gusts at times in Galway...so when they name a storm we get no storm...and when they dont name it we do get one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Winds have been considerably weaker than I expected here in Wicklow. I know the event is primarily a West coast one but even the Met Eireann forecast gusts don't seem to have materialised here. Let's see what the rest of the evening brings us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I guess they turned the ship into the southwest wind to stay upright and then had to keep veering with the wind, at one point looks like they might have thought of continuing east and that either failed or proved impossible so they turned around again and headed northwest -- I would think those are 15 min intervals given the positions I know from the NDBC site. There again, another mystery is that no reports globally since this ship got into the hurricane winds.

Maybe everybody jumped out of their chairs at NDBC and knocked the servers off line.

Anyway, this other report seems to be saying they have gotten to a position with only 45 knot winds so maybe they will make it back to port. You have to wonder what the heck they were doing on their navigation yesterday to get into this situation. Being this far north, I assume the ship came from a Canadian port not U.S. because that ship route would be closer to 40 N if heading for Europe. Their briefings would be from the Canadian agency with access to maps that I saw three days ago with this storm clearly shown at its correct location. So somebody screwed up here.

Picture of the STI Mystery and other info here ...

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/STI-MYSTERY-IMO-9829461-MMSI-563063900#:~:text=The%20vessel%20STI%20MYSTERY%20%28IMO%3A%209829461%2C%20MMSI%20563063900%29,flag%20of%20Singapore.%20Track%20on%20Map%20Add%20Photo

What happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Bad enough gusts at times in Galway...so when they name a storm we get no storm...and when they dont name it we do get one

Hasn't been that bad but just had a big gust that rattled the roof and loosened a roof tile, bits of mortar on top of the bins when I went out to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Beersmith wrote: »
    What happened to it?

Seemed to just dodge, bow up to the weather for a day or so till the worst of the weather passed,could have had a repair they were carrying out, back on his course now again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Ninja Snow Showers from Thursday to Saturday .....:D

qFomRoa.png

p3gNnk2.png
    Mostly on hills.

Advertisement