Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2016, 17:27   #46
lfc200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stheno View Post
Yes.
In OPs case they are going for 12 days so they may well be asked what they are doing after 8 days in NY
Very true, I suppose it depends on who you meet on the day in immigration whether they ask exact details etc...
Advertisement
04-01-2016, 19:39   #47
Tenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stheno View Post
You know he needs an esta visa too which will require details of where he will be staying?

He will have to speak to the officers at pre clearance you can't so it for him
You must be upfront with the CBP officials. Any hint of deception will have you in for questioning.

Tell your father in law once you are airside....maybe have a Vegas themed gift to give him one you are settled in a cafe/bar airside and before you go down to CBP.
05-01-2016, 04:27   #48
J.pilkington
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dunne View Post
Contact the US Embassy directly (in writing).

You are already getting a number of different answers, none of which are officially verifiable in advance of your party travelling.
Good luck getting anything other than a textbook reply a couple of weeks later
05-01-2016, 08:33   #49
Pat Dunne

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.pilkington View Post
Good luck getting anything other than a textbook reply a couple of weeks later
When the O.P receives the official text book answer from the US Embassy, so be it.

At least then he knows exactly to do in and what to expect in advance. Rather than saying at time of travel, "a fella on the internet, told me it would be grand", to a US Immigration Official.

Good luck explaining that one!

Last edited by Pat Dunne; 05-01-2016 at 09:01.
05-01-2016, 08:46   #50
Atlantic Dawn

If he loves surprises he will enjoy if not he might be annoyed. In these times of extra security a surprise as an explanation may not go down well if pre clearance see from his advanced flight declaration that his declared travel plans don't match his actual booking.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-01-2016, 08:49   #51
Charles Babbage

Quote:
Contact the US Embassy directly (in writing).

You are already getting a number of different answers, none of which are officially verifiable in advance of your party travelling.

And what would you put in this letter? That you want to deceive the immigration officers?
05-01-2016, 08:58   #52
Pat Dunne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Babbage View Post
And what would you put in this letter? That you want to deceive the immigration officers?
See my answer above
Quote:
When the O.P receives the official text book answer from the US Embassy, so be it.

At least then he knows exactly to do in and what to expect in advance. Rather than saying at time of travel, "a fella on the internet, told me it would be grand", to a US Immigration Official.

Good luck explaining that one!
Dissapointing to see the A&A forum in breach of its own Charter, so early in the year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055763888
Quote:
First of all please note...If you'd like to ask about travelling, airline baggage info, times, schedules, destinations etc please ask at the Travel and Holidays Forum

Last edited by Pat Dunne; 06-01-2016 at 15:22.
05-01-2016, 09:21   #53
dm09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnacalla View Post
Negative, you preclear in Ireland. You can't have half a flight precleared, and the other half not cleared.
In what scenario would such a situation arise?

Op - just my own experience - I travel to the US about 4 times a year for business/pleasure. The 'address in US' you put on the esta application only needs to be the hotel address were you will stay for the first night, it is not followed up rigoursly - a lot of the time I have used a generic address and booked a motel/hotel upon arrival. The questions at US Immigration are very rarely (almost never) scrutinous unless you appear suspicious - ie you have a one way ticket or have a history of frequent "90 day holidays" most of the time it's very straight forward unless you fit a "profile" ..so for example your father in law will have a boarding card for New York so you tell them you are going to New York - you are not required to detail your day by day itinerary so it should be easy to keep Vegas a surprise and as this is an internal flight in US, you will not face immigration again.
Have a fantastic trip!
05-01-2016, 10:06   #54
LiamaDelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG
Dublin to NYC, stay 8 days. NYC to Vegas for 4 days. Then Vegas to Dublin with NYC connection.

In this case your final destination is NYC as that's where you're entering the US, you're not transiting through NYC (transiting means not leaving the airport). Highly unlikely they'll give you a boarding card in Dublin for a flight in 9 days time.
Questions are likely to be rudimentary business/pleasure, duration of stay.
But they may ask if he had any plans to visit other places...then it could be tricky. Particularly as they'll be able to see the Vegas bit of the itinerary.
So might be best tell him beforehand or take the chance that you'll have to go back and explain. Or if you're in the same queue you could explain it to the official yourself before your dad goes up to him.
Advertisement
05-01-2016, 11:42   #55
LXFlyer

Quote:
See my answer above

Dissapointing to see the A&A forum in breach of its own Charter, so early in the year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055763888

Can you not just report this instead of posting posts like this?

The mods can then move it to the general travel thread.

There is no need to post like this on a thread - just report it and let the mods sort it out.

Last edited by LXFlyer; 05-01-2016 at 11:48.
(3) thanks from:
05-01-2016, 13:36   #56
MoyVilla9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm09 View Post
In what scenario would such a situation arise?

Op - just my own experience - I travel to the US about 4 times a year for business/pleasure. The 'address in US' you put on the esta application only needs to be the hotel address were you will stay for the first night, it is not followed up rigoursly - a lot of the time I have used a generic address and booked a motel/hotel upon arrival. The questions at US Immigration are very rarely (almost never) scrutinous unless you appear suspicious - ie you have a one way ticket or have a history of frequent "90 day holidays" most of the time it's very straight forward unless you fit a "profile" ..so for example your father in law will have a boarding card for New York so you tell them you are going to New York - you are not required to detail your day by day itinerary so it should be easy to keep Vegas a surprise and as this is an internal flight in US, you will not face immigration again.
Have a fantastic trip!
This. Put down the NYC address that you will be staying at. Unless it's a connecting flight Dublin-NYC-Vegas where the bags will be going straight to Vegas, and it may arouse suspicion if your tell the officer that you are going to a different destination to your bags, then I don't see a situation where you will have to tell the officer. You will be asked your destination, which is NYC, and once in the country you are free to travel as you desire.
05-01-2016, 14:17   #57
DrPhilG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyVilla9 View Post
This. Put down the NYC address that you will be staying at. Unless it's a connecting flight Dublin-NYC-Vegas where the bags will be going straight to Vegas, and it may arouse suspicion if your tell the officer that you are going to a different destination to your bags, then I don't see a situation where you will have to tell the officer. You will be asked your destination, which is NYC, and once in the country you are free to travel as you desire.
So won't he (or we) be asked the length of our stay? The idea is that he would be heading out thinking that he's only going for 8 days. But in fact he's going for 12.
05-01-2016, 14:34   #58
LiamaDelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG
So won't he (or we) be asked the length of our stay? The idea is that he would be heading out thinking that he's only going for 8 days. But in fact he's going for 12.
He may or may not...that's up to the person on duty.
05-01-2016, 14:36   #59
Tenger

Quote:
As I have previously explained to you via PM, the mods are very aware of the spillover from Travel into A&A, we are wiling to allow this as it is inevitable when people look for help about travel and see "Aviation" in our title.
As long as it doesn't become regular we can tolerate a little. Rules are not always black and white.
Some other forums/websites have hardline mods who ruin the casual discussion forum atmosphere.
Hence, we have a travel question thread which I have now merged the CBP thread into. (was using my phone yesterday so couldnt do so)

Last edited by Tenger; 05-01-2016 at 14:40.
(4) thanks from:
05-01-2016, 14:37   #60
Tenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG View Post
This is the nub. Dont take a chance on him being asked the length of his stay.

It could all work out wonderfully with no tricky questions...but why take a chance.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion