Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

Yes seating plan is 2-4-2 as you say.
    have the 747s been taken out of the fleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

howyanow wrote: »

Oh they are gone with years! When the 747's were around it was a completely different era of flying. Even British Airways, Delta, United, Virgin Atlantic etc are now retiring their 747's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Yes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Aer Lingus retired their B747's in 1994/1995

I have a couple of more questions I hope someone doesn't mind answering for me.
    I went to book my seats for the flights but could only choose seats for return flight,anyone know why I cannot book seats for flight out?

I remember flying over on what felt to me was a huge plane with 3 rows of seating 3-4-3 in aisles about 10 years ago.
    I noticed while choosing seats on return flight that the seating plan was different.Are those planes no longer in use?I remember feeling more comfortable with it beeing a larger plane than I had been on beforehand and was good to be able to get up and walk around every now and again.
    Tenger wrote: »
    Aer Lingus retired their B747's in 1994/1995
    Sure about that huh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Not sure on the supplemental baggage but there should be no issue checking the included luggage through to the final destination at Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If its all on one ticket the baggage allowance of the most major carrier for the particular journey usually applies for the entire journey, in other words whoever flies the longest leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

I thought myself it was too long ago to be correct because definitely was on a plane with that seat formation going there in 2008.
    I saw someone mention Airbus 330,is this the only aircraft that Aer Lingus operate the Boston route with?

I thought myself it was too long ago to be correct because definitely was on a plane with that seat formation going there in 2008.
    I saw someone mention Airbus 330,is this the only aircraft that Aer Lingus operate the Boston route with?

In 2008 it would have only been an A330, the fleet hasn't changed much. 2-4-2 is fairly standard internationally, and the A330 isn't a small aircraft.

From Dublin its the A330 most of the time, (757 sometimes in winter JAN,FEB)
    From Shannon its the 757 except from June to Sept when its the 767.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Folks can anyone tell me what days and times EI use the A330 to AGP?

Planning on travelling in May and was thinking of treating myself to the front end.

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Folks can anyone tell me what days and times EI use the A330 to AGP?

Planning on travelling in May and was thinking of treating myself to the front end.

7am, and every day AFAIK.

If in doubt you can just go in and search a dummy booking and it will tell you the expected aircraft (Hover over the flight number)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Sure about that huh? :rolleyes:

Maybe he was on an MD-11? Although that's 3-3-3 isnt it?.....hmmm

crisco10 wrote: »
    Maybe he was on an MD-11? Although that's 3-3-3 isnt it?.....hmmm

I think that was only 2000/2001 but I must check.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

Hey folks just wondering i am flying to Lanzarote in october i am told i will be flying a 757 just wondering as my son is autistic may i ask do thompson airlines in T1 use a arm to board or ryanair style and is it busy in the airport at 5/6 in the morn in october so its very eary but we have to prepare are son for his first trip away

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bernsy

Hi deepsouthtalla, my son is also autistic and we travel try dublin a few times a year though mostly with aer Lingus. In our experience all staff working in Dublin airport will bend over backwards once you let them know of your special needs we never have to queue for anything from check-in or security or if its wanting to board last or first. Just let them know and they will do whatever they can for your family.

Hey folks just wondering i am flying to Lanzarote in october i am told i will be flying a 757 just wondering as my son is autistic may i ask do thompson airlines in T1 use a arm to board or ryanair style and is it busy in the airport at 5/6 in the morn in october so its very eary but we have to prepare are son for his first trip away

A thomson 757 from DUB? Don't think so, although there could be a change in the line.

What times your flight? The airports very busy with flights from around 7am, but for flights at 6am the airport should be quieter, almost dead if at 5am.

Thomson/whoever they charter generally use airbridges when available, so it's likely you will have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

Carnacalla wrote: »
    A thomson 757 from DUB? Don't think so, although there could be a change in the line.

What times your flight? The airports very busy with flights from around 7am, but for flights at 6am the airport should be quieter, almost dead if at 5am.

Thomson/whoever they charter generally use airbridges when available, so it's likely you will have one.

could it be a 737?? flying out at 7:20 thanks for the advise and help

could it be a 737?? flying out at 7:20 thanks for the advise and help

Yeah likely is a 737.

7:20 would be a busy time for the airport, if you want to be through nice and comfortable I'd recommend 2.5 hours, with that you shouldn't have to rush and you have time to stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Fast track is your only man.://prebook.dublinairport.com/public/flow.htm?_flowExecutionKey=_c08809774-E7E6-FABA-1EC7-EAB94E7E88B1_k3DDFDCAE-2505-FDB7-9E3E-1CD510936DE1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Maybe not the right forum? I have flights booked with Aer Lingus in May from Dublin to Gatwick. Got an email last week saying there was a schedule change on the return flight that it was now 6 instead of 2 then today another email saying the departing flight is at 4 and not 12 as originally planned. Never happened to me before just seems strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Not really sure you're asking or looking for, but it's a regular enough occurrence. Times and schedules change for various reasons be it rostered crew planning, aircraft availability, maximizing aircraft use, landing and parking slots etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 sleepingghost

I'm not sure of the specifics, but as part of the IAG takeover deal Aer Lingus agreed to offer up slots in held on the London Dublin route. I believe they will be ceasing some/all of there Gatwick operations as part of the deal.

Time changes are a regular occurrence if you choose to book months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'm not sure of the specifics, but as part of the IAG takeover deal Aer Lingus agreed to offer up slots in held on the London Dublin route. I believe they will be ceasing some/all of there Gatwick operations as part of the deal.

Time changes are a regular occurrence if you choose to book months in advance.

This has nothing to do with the IAG takeover. EI have already given up their Belfast/London Gatwick route.

All that has happened is that the flight at 12:10 from Dublin to Gatwick and it's return at 14:05 have been rescheduled to leave Dublin at 16:00 and return from Gatwick at 18:00.

As above, schedules are open to change until the actual summer timetable change takes place at the end of March for a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jasT1981

Yeah, it happens. On a flight to London a while back with Aer Lingus our times got moved. Not by too much though. was due to go at 7:10am got an email a few nights before saying it was a change to 7:45am.

lxflyer wrote: »
    EI have already given up their Belfast/London Gatwick route.

Did EI not have to give up DUB slots too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Question.... Lost my Bank of Ireland Gold Card.. Waiting on a replacement.

The one you can use to gain access to the Aer Lingus Lounge in T2. I have the card number etc.... Will they let me in anyway just on number and passport id??? Am passing thru on weekend and was gonna try it.

Anyone else ever get thru without sight of their card??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Masala wrote: »
    Question.... Lost my Bank of Ireland Gold Card.. Waiting on a replacement.

The one you can use to gain access to the Aer Lingus Lounge in T2. I have the card number etc.... Will they let me in anyway just on number and passport id??? Am passing thru on weekend and was gonna try it.

Anyone else ever get thru without sight of their card??

Why don't you give 'em a call or email directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Fastrack unlikely
    To get through fast track you need the card, you might get through if the boarding card has GOLD, GPPP etc endorsed on it but otherwise, no card, no access.

Lounge, likely
    They should be able to check you up in Dublin, but since its a BOI card they may not have visibility

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is Aer Lingus the only national carrier to charge you for a beer or a glass of wine on a transatlantic flight, had the misfortune to get re-routed on them a couple of weeks back flying DUB-ORD. I had to drive at the other end and only wanted a glass of wine to help me try and get some kip, I think its pretty piss poor in this day and age to charge for a drink when the meal comes round on long haul, civilised airlines like BA will even give you a drink on a DUB-LHR flight. Sure even AA will give you a drink and they dredge the barrel for customer service. I assume when they are dragged into One World they'll be forced to civilise somewhat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

757-200's across the Atlantic. Given I am beholden to AA for the Airmiles I am stuck riding on One World metal. That leaves a choice of routing via LHR for bigger planes, or flying direct from Dub on AA's aging 757-200's to a US hub for onward connection. It's less of an issue in the Summer with bigger planes and/or greater choice of connecting cities.

I am not mad about flying Transatlantic on such a small plane to be honest, narrow body, 1 aisle, makes getting around the plane to go to the loo harder and then here's the mental thoughts that such a small plane is a bit more vulnerable to mishap than a larger jet, again that's not really statistically true but you do ponder. not to mention the fact that the Inflight Entertainment on the 757's is almost non existant with an old, hard to see LCD hanging down several rows in front of you.

All that said an extra connection via LHR is a pain, coming into T3 or T5 and having to clear immigration and reclear security means you really need a good 90 mins for it to be comfortable, and the extra connection adds about 3 hours onto the trip, not so bad on the way out which is usually started in the morning, but can be a chore after an overnight flight when tired and cranky. I just got up to One World Sapphire status which gives me priority in all the Q's from my next trip onwards which will take some of the ballache out of the connections as well as giving lounge access in future for longer layovers.

What would people prefer? 757-200 and less journey time or the extra connection for better planes? I know AA are getting rid of their 757-200's over the next few years, are there any similarly sized replacements out there they can slot into these low volume Etops routes between Ireland and the States?

Advertisement