Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Out of interest can anyone remember when they first discovered Christmas FM?

I know I only started listening in around 2011 or 2012 (thanks to a work colleague that told me about it) and definitely missed the early years.

It got nothing like the coverage it gets now, that's for sure.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Listened to this on the app on Saturday when putting up the decorations, really helped with getting into the spirit.

My 9 year old goddaughter keeps pressing the Xmas Fm button on the car radio in the hope they com win early even though I’ve told her they won’t be on until next week 🤣🤣

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

2010 for me but coverage wasn't great for me living in the south east at the time.

2012 was the first ALL-IN year for me and I've been hooked since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I came across it in its very first year - 2008. I was coming to it from a radio anorak perspective. For example, a number of people involved had previously been connected to other temporary licensed stations.

Edit: if you go back to Page 1 of this thread, you will see this thread was set up by Darragh in 2009 (Darragh O'Sullivan I believe- one of the principals of Christmas FM). It is interesting to see that it was on 100.3 FM in Dublin and 106.7 in Cork at the time - it was initially a Dublin-only station on FM in 2008. They did have an online presence. 100.3 FM has been occupied by Radio Nova since 2010.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Was the same time that I came across the forum here so I'd say about 5/6 years ago. Even in that time, I think it has been become more popular and well known.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Social media have pushed the station onto a whole new level of popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I think I may have found it prior to 2010 I remember listening to it in the car of the deep snow of December 2010

ChristmasFM going live on FM tomorrow at midday.

you would have been forgiven for mistaking last Friday as go live as they had live DJs on all day it was great day of music as well.

The ChristmasFM social media team are on point! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

What time is the launch?

• Advertisement

Launch day.... love it!!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas folks!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Happy launch day!!

Just noticed I have a call at 12 😢😢😢

Have set a reminder on my work calendar for 11.45am.

Silly question coming up..............I assume listen on Alexa is the same as an FM radio??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I assume so, that's how I'll be listening. Have set a reminder to remind me to move our Alexa down to the office. I must get a second one actually for the office as I got it for work so I could listen to the radio & have left it in the kitchen and never remember to bring it to the office.

App downloaded and headphones at the ready

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

As far as I'm aware a stream is always behind a live broadcast on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Christmas FM has been on for the last hour on the Google home - just heard the sirens for a test broadcast followed by all I want for Christmas is you before it stopped!

One hour to go folks

Held off listening to Christmas music until today. Got my time zones wrong and turned it on an hour early which meant my first Christmas song was a Michael Bubble one. Not a good omen.

• Advertisement

T-8 mins.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

We're almost there! 😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's time! 😁

Going traditional, Bing first song!

Ahhhhhh its Christmas for real.

And we kick off with.... ANDY WILLIAMS!!!! yesss!!!!

Always my personal favourite this one!!

Great song choice. I’m well behind on the app.

But it really is the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!

Was half right, a classic though.

Happy Christmas guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Woohoo it’s time

Advertisement